IMDb > "Will & Grace" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Will & Grace"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Will & Grace" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Very funny, with a very talented cast!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
30 April 2009

I don't think Will and Grace is quite as good as Frasier, but it is a great sitcom nonetheless. The writing is actually funny, though in Frasier, I can't count the number of times I've fallen off my chair laughing. Will and Grace does do that, but not all the time. The characters are memorable and engaging. Eric McCormack is great and perfectly nuanced as Will, who happens to be gay, yet he is best friends with a woman named Grace, played by Debra Messing. Both stars are great, but the most laughs goes to Megan Mullally as Karen, and Sean Hayes has his moments as Jack, who is a very weird character you are never too sure whether you love or hate him. There have also been guest stars like Minnie Driver, Tim Curry, Harry Connick Jnr, Bernadete Peters, Demi Moore, Alec Baldwin,Jack Black, Lesley Ann Warren and my favourite John Cleese as Lyle,who have brought a pleasing shine to the show. And actually the Las Vegas wedding episodes were actually the most memorable highlights of Season 6(of which I have the box set). In conclusion, a great comedy, a little in the shadow of Frasier, but well worth watching for entertainment value. 9/10 Bethany Cox

About as funny as a root canal, there's no appeal!

Author: H_Spengler from Buffalo, NY
23 October 2008

I never watched this show before Lifetime started shoving it down our throats 2 or 3 hours per day.

I have several gay friends and they don't like this show either, so I don't want to be told that I "don't get it." I get it fully...I just don't like it.

Someone please tell me what exactly is supposed to be funny about this show? I tried to like it, I looked at it from every possible angle, and guess what I still don't like it. Four irritating friends live their lives and loves in New York City. Two of them happen to be gay, there's (Jewish) Grace, and Karen, the scenery chewing drunk with a voice that would shame Mariah Carey.

I thought the arrival of Harry Connick Jr. would be a redemption for this show (it wasn't, shame on you Harry!) He's much capable of playing likable and appealing characters, but here he's just picking up a paycheck, and there's nothing likable about him. You want to slap him stupid, His character goes from annoying to loathsome and gets tired real fast.

Does anyone in wardrobe EVER require Debra Messing to wear a bra? I couldn't help but notice in several episodes that certain parts of her upper anatomy plainly visible and outlined in their full glory. Is this appealing to anyone? I'd be embarrassed to be seen this many times like that. At least turn down the set's air conditioning then.

Karen grates on your nerves, and the whole pill popping/alcoholic/bi-sexual thing got real tired real fast. You actually start to hopes she slips into some downer coma after a while. That way you won't have to hear her high pitched whining, complaining, bragging, whatever.

Will is devoid of any kind of personality what-so-ever, enough said.

The only one I ever found remotely funny was Jack. Perhaps it's how high strung he is, or just the "sponateity", who knows, he wasn't that bad.

The list of endless A list stars that make appearances on this show surprises me though. Minnie Driver? (no Minnie! Back away!), Madonna, Demi Moore (OK, I can see those two, they have no acting talent at all so who cares. Stick with the singing Madonna.)

This show is painful to watch and you'll actually be mad at yourself for spending that much time out of your day on it. I can't understand why this show lasted as long as it did. I can't say specifically one demographic should be insulted, this show is insulting to everyone!

Great campy fun with flaws

Author: shaunephillips28 from Canada
17 June 2011

Now I realize that my review is 5 years after the show ended, but it's a great time to reflect on what was a ground breaking comedy at the time.

The good

As we all know W&G was the ground breaking show that was built around gay characters, gay life, straight women and their friendships with gay men. What was so great from the very beginning was the fact that the show displayed the dynamics that have existed between gay men and straight women for years. The writers knew that the greatest way to make the show successful was to break new ground, but also show a part of life that has been largely ignored, ie (gays and their fag hags). But beside that W&G worked because it was written extremely well. The main characters were all polar opposites and that allowed every fan to have their favourite characters and favourite character interactions. We got to see the white collared successful gay man with an unsuccessful sex life, the successful and pretty fag hag who ultimately wants to be loved by a man, the campy and flamboyant gay man who is superficial, but underneath it all is a great friend, and the bitchy fun rich drunk who usually denies her love for her 3 best friends. Of course I'm just narrowing their characters down, but the 4 of them together created something that was never quite seen before and made for one hell of a fun show.

The show also had a strong supporting cast and guest actors that kept W&G fresh and exciting. As well, the show always had a campy fun flare that you still can't find in any other show.

The most important part of W&G was the fact that we got to see a different side from traditional life. W&G wasn't afraid to portray women differently than the mom or the working mom. Neither was it afraid to be proud of some of the stereotypes that homophobes try to paint as negative. W&G was proud of the flamboyant, the neurotic, the over the top, and so much more that for years had been used against us.

W&G also had some of the greatest physical comedy that has pretty much gone unmatched by any other show. W&G was full of over the top reactions, spankings, tripping, and other thing you can think of that made the show more than a funny one liner. Also the show went for the simple comedy, the fart jokes, the trashy jokes and what ever else it could for a good laugh and that gave W&G a constant variety of laughs from its audience.

The Bad

By the 5th season W&G took a more serious dark tone that changed the overall dynamics between Will and Grace. It wasn't the fact that Grace found a man and moved out. The real problem was that the chemistry between the 2 main characters had been altered in a bad way. Also, the fact that Grace disappointed many people by taking on a negative stereotype that many disliked. All of sudden Grace went from a loving best friend who was always there for Will to another hag that as soon as she found her man reverted to the typical negative fag hag stereotype. Gay men everywhere have dealt with women either putting us on the back burner or completely forgetting us all together. I know my partner and I have dealt with this and I very much loathed Grace turning out to be that type of person. Although she didn't give up her friendship with Will, she did use him as a surrogate husband until the real one came along.

The biggest problem with W&G was the extreme gay stereotypes and the fact the show never really went beyond that. Being that gays and lesbians are the most diverse minority in the world we are more than just what this show portrays us as. Now don't get me wrong of course there are Will's and Jack's in the world and I love the Will's and Jack's of the world, but there is more than that and W&G never seems to go past what some straights think of us. As well, W&G use those stereotypes sometimes in the most negative ways and when they demonstrate nothing else it narrows us down to nothing more than parodies.

As well the show never goes past what is easy for the "straight world" to get use to. By leaving out the drag queens, the cross dressers, and other parts of our culture W&G comes off as nothing more than pandering to the straight world. By not being too daring or controversial W&G gets to be the middle of the road gay comedy that's safe for someone who really doesn't know too much about gay culture. This makes it seem like our culture is bad or negative in some way. I mean come on Will and Jack barely are seen with men, and the show never really goes beyond "he's a hotty" and "I like to have him in my pants" talk. Where as Grace constantly had bf's, lovers, sex and all the straight stuff.

Overall the show is fun, campy, bitchy and just plain hilarious, but at times it's nothing more than a straight show with some gay characters to add some comic relief.

Comedy at its best!

Author: nufc87kaz from Luton, England
29 July 2004

Will and Grace is one of the best comedy programmes around. Each character is very funny. Each member of the main cast show exciting chemistry together on screen. Will(Eric McCormack) & Grace(Debra Messing) work well together, helping each other in their daily lives adding a new wave of comedy. Jack(Sean Hayes) is the eccentric gay friend who makes me laugh to tears. Karen (Megan Mullally) the rich alcoholic who loves to belittle Graces dress sense. The jokes are written to an intelligent degree.I love this programme because it has filled the hole left by the departure of 'Friends' and 'Sex and the city'. We can all hope that it will stick around for the next few years to keep us in front of the TV.

Boo

Author: Michael S from United States
27 May 2007

Will and Grace were two annoying charters that had very little to offer. They are simply under-developed, incomplete human beings that focus on the each others' shortcomings rather than their own. Karen and Jack were far funnier, although still pitiful and empty. All that was interesting to see could have been squeezed into two seasons. And as for guests, the show may as well have been the "love boat" in New York. How many times do you have to jump a shark for the series to die? As a gay man, I did not feel represented in anyway what so ever by these characters or plots. Not that the show should be expected to be a gay rights platform. But it was so formulaic as to not be much of a platform for humor. The jokes were more groaners than belly laughers. I do think the actors did a very good job of being consistent. I acknowledge that they received many awards, but that's more about politics than substance from my perspective. So I say: "Boo"

It's getting better

Author: Jay Alan from Columbus, Oh
6 May 1999

I'm starting to like the Will & Grace characters better, the writing's getting better and the laughs are coming more often than when I first started watching 4-5 weeks ago. I still love Megan Mullally (Karen) the best.

Will and Grace is a wonderful show!

Author: robin h from Canada
1 January 2005

I have been watching "Will and Grace" ever since it started. "Will and Grace" is basically about two best friends who met in college one is a strait woman who's an interior decorator and a gay man who is a lawyer. I think it's a really great show. Eric McCormack and Debra Messing play both there parts really well. Sean Hayes is so hilarious. The whole cast is excellent.

"Will and Grace" is a fantastic show to watch because it shows you the day to day experiences of being straight or gay. It's great to watch it with your family, friends or anyone.

You will enjoy watching it. It is so hilarious! When you see it once you won't want to miss an episode because it's so funny.

Great sitcom

Author: David, Film Freak from Palmerston North, New Zealand
26 January 2002

She's a straight interior designer. He's a gay lawyer. Together they form a show that is as hilariously funny as it is completely outrageous.

The emmy-winning show is about best friends Will and Grace and their friends, the ever-eccentric homosexual Jack (Sean Hayes, comic genius) and the booze-battling snob Karen (Megan Mullaly).

According to newspaper reports Eric McCormack (Will) and Debra Messing (Grace) fight over who is the bigger star. If they'd open their eyes they'd find the answer: Karen and Jack. Compared to Will & Grace, Karen & Jack leave them behind in the funny stakes.

In fact, the latter two are such strong characters, that if the show ended tomorrow, these two could easily have their own spin-off. But for now, I'm happy to tune into the hilarious Will & Grace.

I love it!

Author: KelSAAAAY from United Kingdom
30 July 2006

I admit that I was always a FRIENDS fiend rather than a W&G Junkie, but since earlier this year...and when nothing else was on, I started watching Will and Grace, and I'm glad i did. People always ask me which sitcom i prefer, but they are so different. Will & Grace has really opened a door for gay people everywhere following on from "Ellen" (which I watched when I was like six lol).

The whole cast clearly have fun together, and the later episodes show Karen's vulnerability and that she isn't actually as cold as she seems.

Will and Grace have such an unorthodox relationship, and that is what keeps me hooked. So many people say that it should be called "Jack and Karen", and, as much as I like Jack and Karen...i feel that they are supporting characters and without Will and Grace it wouldn't be as funny or interesting, as Jack's story lines rarely last longer than a few episodes, and a lot of Karen's couldn't happen without the help of her lawyer...who is Will.

I also love Rosario...she actually rocks my socks....

Very entertaining.

Author: so_original from United States
4 March 2008

"Will & Grace" had a great run from 1998 to 2006. However, it is noted that it, like almost all shows, lost its steam after awhile and became a different show. This occurred right around the time of the 6th season. The writing dumbed down slightly as the characters became caricatures, each with their own "go-to" joke [ Grace's eating, Karen's alcohol/pill popping habits, etc. ]. The chemistry was also thrown off somewhat as Leo become more of a main character, upsetting the balance of the four leads, especially Will & Grace. The show, in my opinion, remained funny despite its ups and downs.

There is a good reason all four lead actors won Emmys for their roles. They make their characters funny and believable, despite their outlandishness. Will and Grace are best friends, and both needy and neurotic in their own right. Jack is vain and rarely takes anything seriously, while Karen is both tactless and filthy rich. It is called "Will & Grace" but Jack & Karen often end up stealing the show. Whether they are both playing off of each other, making fun of Will & Grace, or just being their wacky selves, Sean Hayes & Megan Mullally play them both with amazing comedic timing and wit. All four actors are hilarious in their own right, however, and they all have great chemistry together. Stand out supporting characters are Shelley Morrison as Rosario, Karen's maid who's just as feisty as she is, and Leslie Jordan as Beverly Leslie, the very short and feminine rival of Karen who always pops up when least expected.

The show is also noted for its laundry list of celebrity guest stars, a handful of them playing themselves in tongue-in-cheek ways [ Cher, Elton John, Jennifer Lopez]. Some people complain about the countless guest spots, but I don't think it takes away from the show, especially since the show has a few pop culture references every episode.

"Will & Grace" is a show that can be enjoyed by most. Yes, the two lead male characters are gay, but its still a show one can find funny, regardless of sexual preference. It was at its best for the first 4 or 5 seasons, but its a great show despite the slump it fell in the last few seasons. And even during that slump, I believe it remained entertaining.

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]