IMDb > The Adventures of Super Pup (1958) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Adventures of Super Pup (TV) More at IMDbPro »

This pilot was rightly put to sleep..

Author: K N Wilson from Isle of Sheppey, UK
12 December 2006

This travesty has only come into the public arena because of its release as part of the Ultimate Superman collection. After watching it, it comes as no surprise as to why it has been hidden away for so long...

If those out there in TV land thought that kiddies would watch any old garbage shoved in front of them, they were proved wrong with The Adventures Of Superpup.

Not so much a pup, more a mange-ridden mongrel, Superpup is really Bark Bent (non-US English-speaking countries will get an added laugh with this name), mild-mannered reporter, but has a head so big that if he didn't have super powers, his neck would snap if he was the passenger in a car (or a locomotive) that was hit from behind by another vehicle.

The sheer awfulness of this lousy pilot has to be seen to be believed - Superpup is aided by an annoying hand-puppet that provides expository dialogue (in one instance, this puppet is even employed to cover over a HUGE continuity error!). This character is SO annoying that one would wish arthritis on the person operating it.

The models of the main characters aren't too bad (the Perry White bulldog character looks like something from Peter Jackson's Meet the Feebles), and there is enough action to keep the most undemanding kids amused (though they would probably not be allowed access to sharp objects), but the sheer ghastliness of trying to create an extension of the hugely popular Superman TV show leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

If there was one moment of unintentional hilarity, it comes when Superpup's sidekick, Mongomery Mouse (a glove puppet), has to call the police - the operator of the puppet makes no attempt to try and use the hands of the puppet to pick up the receiver, instead just grabbing the thing the way anyone wearing a glove would pick up a receiver. Funny stuff! The Adventures of Superpup only gets a 2-star rating because of the hysterical moment mentioned above - otherwise, it's an abomination.

Thankfully, Superpup was neutered and didn't beget a full series.

Worst Pilot Generates Plenty of Laughs!

Author: kubrick2899 from Concord, North Carolina
4 December 2006

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERPUP. From the title, one can tell that this is going to be absolute rubbish. But, I watched nearly everything else contained in the SUPERMAN: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD boxed set, so I figured I'd give it a shot. My verdict: BOMB out of five stars (or 1 out of 10 here). This is the absolute worst pilot episode I have ever seen in my life. This is a disgrace to the SUPERMAN legacy. However, it does make its viewer laugh quite heartily. I can't remember the last time I watched something so bad that it made me laugh so hard. One really has to see this in order to truly appreciate it. I can understand why it wasn't chosen to go on to become a full series. It had to have been intended for an audience of children, but I don't think that even children would have been amused. Well, I was amused. It was just that horrible. It really is quite comical to see people running around in big dog costumes trying to save the world. Anyway, I'll leave THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERPUP alone now. In fact, I might even go watch it again!!!!!