IMDb > Warlock III: The End of Innocence (1999) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Warlock III: The End of Innocence

Warlock III: The End of Innocence (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Pathetic compared to the previous Warlock films

Author: C G from United States
20 July 2007

The first Warlock film with Julian Sands and Richard E. Grant was great - original, fun, a bit gory, and suspenseful. It had pretty well defined characters, and a plot that moved. (I bet the movie would have been terrific if it's budget had been about 3 times bigger for special FX.) I Feel the second installment Warlock: The Armagedon, was okay, but a bit cheesy with the magic druid theme going. Though the plot was a bit dodgy because they weren't chasing after the warlock, the improved FX and magical scenarios made the movie palatable.

This third installment though is pathetic. The editing is horrible, the film drags on and on for the first 40 minutes or so. The lead character is very flat, and the Warlock is also quite flat. Although that is kind of how the warlock character has always been portrayed, calm, cold, and collected, which worked when the other leads where quite animated, but is terrible here with the boring lead. At least there are the side kicks in W3 to spice things up, as the two leads are excruciatingly lame characters.

As the film is slow at the beginning, one doesn't know if it is going to be about the house, or about the Warlock. And I think that where they missed it. If they had focused less on the "haunted house" aspect early on, and more or flashbacks with the warlock, it may have turned out better.

If you are a fan of the previous two Warlock films its worth renting, but prepare yourself for boredom and disappointment.

If you've never seen the previous Warlock films, skip this one, rent Warlock (1989) and enjoy.

A Tale of Witchcraft And Warlocks.

Author: Shaithis from Winnipeg, MB Canada
11 January 2000

One movie I was not too fond of was Warlock featuring an actor I really couldn't stand...Warlock featuring Julian Sands. It was quite a predictable, if not quite boring film.

One day, I'm not sure if I saw it on a pay-tv channel or what, but I watched Warlock: Armageddon. I really thought it was neat, original, and especially smart. So when I saw yet another sequel, I was hesitant, but picked it up anyways.

What I received was not as original as Armageddon, but it did have its entertainment value. I remember long ago when Witchboard had the same effect, but it did not hold up over time, and I can't say I think this one will either.

The creators of this film have done a wonderful job on what looks like a not too huge direct-to-video budget. A major selling point was the presence of 'Hellraiser's' Ashley Laurence (I'm a sucker for a cute tough girl that can defeat demons) as I have not seen her in anything since 'The Lurking Fear'. Once again, in typical Ashley Laurence fashion she's the main chased after girl who must defeat the demon (or shall we say warlock).

Bruce Payne grew on me through the film. At first I must admit I even thought Julian Sands would be better. But his calm demeanour really intensified the scenes and gave some nice atmosphere.

The film, yes is quite a stereotypical one. But it did have interesting elements placed in it. I really liked the druid aspect that Armageddon brought, and while it isn't really showcased in this film, there is a good witch, and a nice young aspiring good witch that try to battle the Warlock. Unfortunately it is in a minimal amount of the film.

A group of friends, all of different stereotypes (one is a musician, another an artist, a witch, a kinky sex kitten, and a kinky muscled possible ahem jockish-type character?) head to an old house which is scheduled to be demolished. Ashley Laurence, whom in this film is an orphan, never knew her birth parents. It is their old house. What follows is your basic what has happened in the past will now repeat in the future. It is only up to this small group of friends to stop it (and whatever clues and artefacts are found around the house).

I recommend this film to anyone who likes mild witchcrafty-type horror films for a light viewing. It's not like the other Warlock films have been Shakespeare, and this one is the same.

No no no no

Author: Keydjes from Tumba, Sweden
11 April 2001

This is not a Warlock-movie.....where did this come from??? This is a cheap horror movie that can't even scare a child. There was no plot, no story and absolutely not one good actor. I am a fan of Bruce Payne but this was crap, he is not a Warlock. Even if Julian Sands is not the best actor of all, he is the Warlock and I am so glad he didn't do this one because this is terrible. I don't have the words to say how bad it was so instead of just repeating myself I end it here. Another film that should never had been done.

In a word? Lame.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
17 September 2003

As far as sequels go, this one rates right down there with Pet Semetary 2 and Exorcist 2. Lame, Lame Lame!!!

This movie had absolutely NOTHING to do with the first two movies. And, unfortunately for Julian Sands fans, he wanted too much money to do this third installment, and so the studio hired some lame a** to play his character. Never a good move in a sequel, and that little studio stunt drags this already wavering "B" flick down into the trenches of the "D" category. Dirt. Disgusting.

Deplorable. Detritus. Dire.

I hate this movie. It represents everything that has ruined the industry. Shoddy acting, horrible casting, non-existent directing...the cast of characters wanders aimlessly through this horrid piece of garbage seemingly with no direction whatsoever.

This is not even a movie. It's a flick, and nothing more. Don't waste your time, or resources on this one.

It rates NOTHING -0/10- from...

the Fiend :.

Highly underrated effort

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
9 October 2007

"Warlock III: End of Innocence" is an above-average film with a few flaws.

**SPOILERS**

Attending Sommerville College, art student Kris Miller, (Ashley Laurence) finds out that an ancestral home is being torn down and is sent in to remove items. Trying to convince boyfriend Michael, (Paul Francis) and friends Jerry, (Jan Schweiterman) Scott, (Rick Hearst) Lisa, (Angel Boris) and Robin, (Boti Bliss) to come along, she goes to the house alone and stays there. Feeling something about the situation isn't right, they all show up to help her out. As they clean up the house, stranger Phillip Covington, (Bruce Payne) arrives and immediately takes an interest in them, which they don't understand anyway. When he starts toying with their emotions and plying them against each other, which soon has them all at each other's throats. Realizing that he has an ulterior motive at play, she is soon forced into a final showdown with him.

The Good News: This here wasn't all that bad. The house here is quite creepy and can drudge up some really great suspense from it. There's a lot of really dark hallways, dark rooms and incredibly creepy atmosphere from how the place is really like really build up beautifully. That it plays around with it's supernatural feel quite well makes the most positive point. There's a whole slew of scenes that improve the film by how well it handles the supernatural. From the early hauntings of off-screen noises and banging, the subtly changing room damages, the constant flash-cuts of something appearing out of nowhere to give a shock to those who witness it and much more in here are all quite nice to behold. The ending is completely full of it, as there's the forest chase leading up to it, the final confrontation in the tower is continuously full of such scenes and the middle section contains some pretty impressive ones as well. A good mirror-gag is always quite nice, and this one contains a really good one. The deaths here, while not that spectacular, do show some supernatural flair. Being choked out by a person across the room, being frozen in place and then shattering into a million pieces and being blown off a ladder from a suddenly-bursting window do have some really great moments that come from it's supernatural tone. The last good positive is the quest to discover the source to defeat him. This is a really nice little mystery that is nicely spread out over the film, contains enough logical steps that it goes over smoothly and really does end up with some great thoughts as it comes off like being obvious without being insulting for being so smart. That is quite fine when it really comes up with good stuff.

The Bad News: This one doesn't have a whole lot of problems, but this one does have a couple. One of the big ones is that the Warlock doesn't feel powerful or imposing. This one could've easily taken it out and replaced it with another creature and this wouldn't have suffered at all. It never decides to really unleash the powers it claims to have beyond only a few brief scenes where it plays around with the surroundings, but this one doesn't really have as imposing a Warlock that the others do. The other flaw is that the film, since it does have a tendency to skip off into a supernatural sequence quite easily, can feel quite confusing at times. This also jumps around between the past and present, making the complications even further more confusing. This one can take a few tries to really get less complicated, so the first time through can be a little tough. Otherwise, they don't screw up the film much.

The Final Verdict: Not necessarily the worst entry in the series, but it does have enough positive remarks to made it redeemable. Recommended for those who have a flair for low-budget types or are a fan of the series, while those who don't take much stock in the flaws won't have much of a good time.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Graphic Language, Nudity and a mild S&M scene

Ashley laurence vs Bruce Payne it's like a dream come true.

Author: Scorpion Man (john_triplecross@yahoo.co.uk) from Hull, England
29 January 2002

Here's how it goes, 300 years ago an all powerful controller of satanic forces (Bruce Payne) tried to bring about the end of civilisation... of course it didn't work, but now the time has come for another attempt. Searching for clues to her family history the young decendant of the Warlock's arch enemy visits her newly inherited house where the Warlock lies in wait. To raise from hell the poison bride who will plunge the world into unimaginable evil, the Warlock must sacrifice the descendant of a witch born on a blue moon to the devil. Rather luckily for him, the girl is such a decendant born on a blue moon, not so luckily for him she is played by Ashley 'The demon basher' Laurence; the one person the armies of darkness could never hope to defeat. To make things a bit more interesting he can't simply kidnap her and do the ritual like other Warlocks, instead he must be given something by each of her closest friends who must then give her up to him. The acting is perfect (as Bruce Payne & Ashley Laurence always are) and although the scenery is designed to look a bit daft the special effects and cool music more than make up for it. Horror at it's best.

Total disapointment.

Author: zombiesnake17 from Chicago
22 June 2001

I'll be honest with you I like Playboy playmates, and I especially like Angel Boris (playmate of the month July 1996)who has a small part in this movie. In fact she is the whole reason I rented this video at all. Since this is the third movie in a seris I decided it would be a good idea to see parts one and two before I got to this one. I thought part one entitled "Warlock" was pretty boring but had good characters and a good try at a plot so I did'nt hate it. Part two entitled "Warlock:The Armeggedon" was excellent in my opinion. It had cool special effects, good plot, was'nt boring and the Warlock Julian Sands was still in it who I liked from part one. By this point I was glad I saw them both because they were fun and now I was ready to see the one I wanted to see in the first place. Boy was I disapointed. The movie was very boring, had no plot, wasn't scary (even though you could tell they were trying to make this one scary unlike the other ones), and Angel Boris was barley in it and when she was she would just say stupid lines that they wrote for her just so they could have a hot chick type person in it at all. The main character was a whiney plain lookin girl who should be in some sappy show like 7th Heaven instead of a horror movie. These aren't the only characters who are lame in this movie because your glad when all the guy characters die and could care less anyway. Now that I told what I thought was bad here is what I thought was good: Angel Boris' breast's exposed twice, Angel Boris in a thong, and the new Warlock Bruce Payne was'nt that bad even though I still missed Julian Sands who I'm kind of glad was'nt in this one because it was so lame. If you did like this movie then I would like to recommend another seris of movies which is similiar to this one but a thousand times better. This seris being the "Night of the Demons" movies. Because They are scarier,have better special effects,have a ton more female nudity, and are also funny which this movie was'nt trying to be, but comedy is of course an important part of the horror movie experience.

Ugh

Author: Devin Geoffrey Soper
11 October 1999

This dreadful third installment is more like the TV series Friends than the previous entries and has replaced the wonderful Julian Sands with a horribly miscast Bruce Payne in this pointless bore. A group of 30-year-old actors posing as college kids stay at a mansion once owned by the evil warlock. OOOOHHHH I'm so scared already. This direct-to-video joke has very few moments that we'll enjoy and 99 percents just stinks. Ditch this clunker and re-watch the first two (preferably #1) or wait till they get it right next time.

Single word summary...... "Huh?"

Author: toxiemite from Melbourne, Australia
6 November 2003

I praise the first Warlock film...... who wouldnt? I even defended the second one because too many sad people winged about it. Geeze, it wasn't that bad!....... was it?

So should I defend this third installment?.... Hell No!!! .... I just cannot seem to peice together any possitive words in my head to maybe lift this review up a notch.... in fact maybe it's better that I dont even talk about this tele-movie-esque film at all.

Instead may I suggest that someone put pen to paper and create a fourth Warlock film that blends the first two formulas into one. Being that Redfern seeks assistence from the Druids to battle against the Warlock.... none other than Julien Sands.... none of this Bruce Payne nonsense.

(No offence Bruce. You were great in Passenger 57... but you just aint no Warlock)

So to sum up Warlock III: End of Innocence...... Miserable waste of time. Part 4 would be a classic.... if it existed! 2 out of 10

(it gets a 2 because it had at least some balls to even be made at all)

a pimple on the but of the warlock series

Author: n00msy (n00msy@montana.com) from Montana USA
24 February 2002

Just bad, had nothing to do with the other movies the original warlock wasnt even the same dude and didnt follow the series at all. It almost took away from the Warlock movies, almost stopped watching it. guess I should have read the box before I watched it.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]