IMDb > Sila Nerangalil Sila Manithargal (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Magnificent

Author: (chembai@yahoo.com) from Chennai, India
8 January 2002

Tamil cinema's never been too fond of published literary works, and the exceptions have usually been well-made (like Thillana Mohanambal, for instance). Based on a novel by the writer Jayakanthan, this film explores middle-class Tamil norms and values with regard to women and their status in society.

Lakshmi (in an award-winning role) plays a self-made woman who's molested as a teenager, as a result of which her family practically ostracises her. She's determined to get married to the guy who did it to her, and goes in search of him. They do meet, but even after they forge a new relationship, her family does not let her live in peace.

A scathing indictment of the society as it was seen by the writer during that period (mid-70s), it does falter at the end. Overall, the film is a refreshing break from the mindlessness of mainstream cinema that rules even today. Lakshmi is stupendous, and is well-supported by the rest of the cast.

A Refreshing Classic

Author: ashwin kumar from chennai, India
24 July 2012

Its a blemish that Tamil cinema has not entertained Novel Adaptations. I'm sort of surprised that the best directors in the industry till date are not ready for Novel Adaptations. "Sila Nerangalil Sila Manidhargal" was my first tamil novel and it made me wonder "Are there people like Ganga in real life?". It was one of the best books I've ever read.

Kudos to the entire team. They have brought that feel and magic on screen too. The artists, music, dialogues are one of the best you'll ever see. I've never heard a dialogue like "You can never be a wife to someone. You can only be a concubine".

I was little sad that the climax has been changed a little. I'm not sure why. Otherwise its an amazing movie.

one of the new trend setter of Indian cinema at 70's.

Author: Thava Kumaran from Malaysia
22 June 2011

Undoubtly one of the best film of Tamil cinema ever made.even in Indian cinema too and certainly one of the only few new trend setting movies of 70's.visually most beautiful film and the way of storytelling was truly extraordinary.

The film tell us the story of a young unmarried woman,who tries to living in alone after she was raped by a stranger at a rainy day.the story continues as she facing some social problem around her life after that tragedy.

i really liked the performances of leading characters,especially actress Lakshmi as ganga who won Indian National Film Award for best actress for that year was truly amazing and great. One of the finest achievements of Bhim Shing as the director of the film.

Watch the movie,at least for once..it will be a new experience to you as a movie fan.