IMDb > Sacrifice (2000) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sacrifice

Sacrifice (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Surprisingly violent, fast paced and entertaining

Author: Mathias (experten) from Kista, Stockholm, Sweden
10 February 2002

This is a violent movie. We get to see bloody knife stabbings and throat slittings, grisly aftermath pictures of murder victims and some shootings with big, beautiful bloodsquibs spraying blood over the victims. I especially liked when the killer came running towards the victim, aggressively attacking with a knife. It is surprisingly violent especially considering that it is made for TV.

The pacing is high and you will never be bored. You will not marvel over the clever story, but it works even though the dialogue sometimes is unimpressive. The acting is nothing special and I was not so happy with Bokeem Woodbine as the black detective, but it is Michael Madsen who has the leading role, as usual as a tough guy, and he knows what he is doing. I will not reveal the identity of the killer but it is nice to see someone so demented and the portrayal of the killer is excellent. The acting is not deserving an Oscar but it will not ruin the movie.

This is not art, Sacrifice is made as entertainment, so the film snobs better stay away. If you like violent movies you can do a hell of a lot worse than watching Sacrifice.

Silly. Very silly.

Author: Michael L. Kohan from Norfolk, VA
27 January 2003

Laughable dialogue, terrible camerawork, and a ludicrous script make this an all-around BAD movie. And yet, like so many other bad movies, you just can't seem to change the channel. Maybe it's to see if Jamie Luner will get naked again, maybe it's to see if Bokeem Woodbine, who gets second billing, will get another 5 minutes of screen time this hour, maybe it's to see exactly how Mr. Blon... I mean, Michael Madsen's character will manage to get away from the cops, maybe it's because ALL the movie channels are playing similar stupid direct-to-video movies at this hour of the morning.

From the serial killer with the box of boobs, to the gratuitous dream sequence with Madsen's dead daughter in the restaurant, this is one completely silly movie. Watch it anyway, what else are you going to do at 3:30 AM?

-Mikey

Better Than Expected

Author: dennis-77 from St. Helens, UK
29 October 2005

To be honest, I didn't expect much of this film, given that it was being shown at 1 o'clock in the morning when no one would be watching, and the trashy title but it's a good little film.

Michael Madsen is good as the main character, who you root for despite his unsavoury nature. The supporting cast are also good, especially his ex-wife and her new husband and Agent Gottfried.

The tension ratchets up well, and the film moves along in a logical progression. Also, unlike many thrillers, there is enough revealed for the audience to work out who the Sweetwater killer is, without it being obvious. There are no illogical twists and turns which is always nice to see. The scenes with the killer are suitably scary, especially when the killer attacks his third on-screen victim.

The ending is good and well done, as is the rest of the film. It's not a classic, obviously, but watching the film is not a bad way of spending a couple of hours.

Strange, but not terrible...

Author: (bdobson@axion.net) from Richmond, BC, Canada
21 January 2001

I almost missed this movie in the list of Michael Madsens features as I just found it in the new release section today at the video store. This is strange as it is a film that was made in 1999. I like Madsen and he does to a slight degree make this laughably terrible film a little better. I am not one typically for pointing out plot holes but there were so many in this film it is impossible not to. Possibly a good film to rent simply because of the cheese factor.

Bookem Woodbine is terrible, simply terrible giving a worse performance than anything else he has done so far. Which is not saying a whole lot I guess. All in all if you are a Madsen fan then there may be enough in this one to interest you. If not then I recommend giving it a quick pass and finding something else.

Career crook escapes from Feds (several times) to hunt serial killer

Author: whereizdaremote from United States
17 August 2007

This flick was both surprising and disappointing for several reasons.

Short summary of this B Movie saga is career crook and absentee father Tyler Pearce( Michael Madsen) busts outta a transport van on his way to the state pen to look for the serial killer that whacked his daughter. Seems as if the bumbling FBI Special-Agent-In-Charge (hhehheehe) played by Bokeem Woodbine couldn't track a dime store thief. Old Tyler gets help in the search in more ways than one from a call girl with ethics played by Jamie Luner. One positive aspect is there are no anvils falling for the first half of the flick that give away the killer's identity. But unfortunately there are too many what tha ^&*(! scenes in this flick.

Bonuses: 1. Michael Madsen does not prance around to a classic rock song and slice off anyone's ear (Reservoir Dogs) 2. Jamie Luner's smoking body in the sack time with Madsen ( great diet and gym time on full exhibit here...doubt the gal eats Big Macs) 3. No fake a$$ Southern accents by Madsen or Luner. 4. Diane Farr is hard to recognize at first except for her eyes.... she was a real hottie as Laura Miles in FX's Rescue Me four years later.

Downers: 1. Mutilation of women 2. Terrible gun play scenes ( a first year film student could have directed some scenes better) 3. Too little Luner and too much Madsen lumbering around as if he's just left happy hour. 4. Too many stupid quips between the FBI agents.

Watch if you are a Luner lover, a fan of Madsen's brooding, or just looking for a semi drama-semi slasher flick that requires you to be only partially lucid while viewing this flick.

If you are a fan of Michael Madsen, then you will enjoy this movie. It kept me suspense all the whole time and these are the types of movies I enjoy.

Author: agegrl9 from New Jersey
24 October 2000

Michael Madsen plays Tyler Pierce, an ex-con who escapes from jail to find out who murdered his only daughter Lisa. With the help of Naomi Cohen (played by Jamie Luner), he finds out who murdered his daughter and some of the reasons why she was murdered. "Sacrifice" is very gripping, and keep you at the end of your seat. A must see for all Michael Madsen fans.

Very Bad...

Author: Alex-372 from The Hague, The Netherlands
6 December 2001

What kills this movie is the cinematography and the direction, otherwise, the actors do their best. Bokeem Woodbine, Michael Madsen, et al may be B movie actors, but they've appeared in much better stuff than this, doing a much better job.

However, the cinematography is so bad, that you'll think you're back in the eighties. When I rent a video _movie_, I don't want it to look as if it had also been shot on video. It's a distraction. Good production values and a lot of action (like in 'US Marshalls') can actually cover up a weak plot. This, however, is laying bare every single flaw.

What am I watching?

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
20 June 2014

Sometimes I watch B-movies that are flat-out silly and ridiculous that I can't help but be entertained. That's the case with SACRIFICE, a TV movie made in 2000 and shot in Alabama which sees Tarantino regular Michael Madsen playing a bank robber who busts out of jail in order to get revenge on the serial killer who's just claimed his daughter as their next victim.

The plot is an unwieldy amalgamation of serial killer movie with a more predictable cops 'n' robbers flick. Michael Madsen spends the whole movie on the run from sweaty FBI man Bokeem Woodbine, although the FBI are so useless in this movie that I was regularly laughing at how bad they were. They need to be too - Madsen is flabby and past his prime in this one, and looks incredibly bored with the material too.

The other half of the film is a typical slasher movie, with some thrown-in nudity and a couple of half-gory murders inserted into the mix. A weird masked and ritualistic murderer is offing nubile women, and the writer desperately adds a whodunit angle in an attempt to grab the viewer's attention. Just who's responsible? Could it be THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT's Joshua Leonard, playing the boyfriend of Madsen's slain daughter?

It's all very silly and far-fetched, and it ends up in a set-piece that's both ridiculous and expected. I like the way the writers keep pushing their anti-abortion agenda with the presence of the protesters as well as the motive for the killer. SACRIFICE is far from a good film but it is a mildly entertaining one if you're in the right mood.

Pass the Jack Daniels Michael Madsen!!

Author: Kevin (RCamp48845@aol.com) from United States
24 December 2001

I guess the only redeeming factor about movies like this is that they supply Michael Madsen with money to buy liquor. I caught this in the wee small hours on cable one night and couldn't resist watching it. Madsen plays...a Michael Madsen character!! But less so. Michael really needs to pore over his scripts a bit better. I'm sure he gets some bad ones but one winner has got to come along once in a while. The serial killer scenes in this one reminded me of some early 80's Friday The 13th ripoff film.

Yuk

Author: NJEDMAN from Philadelphia USA
30 June 2000

One hot sex scene, but overall this movie pretty much blows. Logged on to see who the chick is in the hot scene but, nothing available. Implausible plot with prison escape to stop serial killer, who turns out to be... well I wasted the time so if you want to know you will have to as well.