IMDb > Perfect Blue (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pafekuto buru

Perfect Blue More at IMDbPro »Pafekuto buru (original title)

Page 6 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Perfect Blue

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
25 July 2007

Very adult animated thriller about pop idol Mima trying to make it as an actress with a stalker(running a fictional supposed website faking thoughts she has amongst real actions she makes during each day)making her life practically unbearable. She is also tormented by her past success which seems to stalk her subconscious popping up into reality at times even foiling scenes during filming. The bubble-gum pop image is diminished when the young actress commits to a grueling rape scene in her first film. Soon she does a nude pictorial completely shattering the wholesome image she had been conveying for so long. The film shows the poor girl's decline in sanity as illusion and reality are blurred. Even the film she partakes in seems all too real to her present state in life. Soon those people(the writer of the script calling for the rape scene, the photographer which "spoiled her innocence", her agent asking for the young up and comer to commit to a new image)who the stalker holds responsible for the career change in Mima's life are being killed in nasty, vicious ways. The film offers the possibility that Mima herself may be committing the acts of violence with another personality converging to take over her body as revenge for the "descent into immorality."

Full of bloodshed and nudity, this animated tale is quite heady displaying Mima's struggle to grip onto reality. I'm not sure I buy that ending which seems too much of a cop-out letting their heroine escape from being a murderer(..using another character jealous of her abandoning pop stardom for an acting career requiring nudity in seedy situations), but the film is quite a fascinating and entertaining mind-trip. There are scenes in the film where the tortured actress Mima is chasing her alter ego..and, the climax shows the alter ego supposedly trying to kill her(..this alter ego proves to actually be another completely different person).

"Perfect Blue" - Talk about a mind-f**k!

Author: dee.reid from United States
5 February 2007

(This is my 501st review on IMDb.)

In an era where the total mind-f**k is limited to painfully obvious plot twists and so-so/lame narratives that think they're the sh**, "Perfect Blue" comes at us from one of the last places we ever expected: Japanese animation, otherwise known as Anime'.

"Perfect Blue" blends elements of the psychological thriller, the horror film, the adult-entertainment film and other dramatic themes so that in the end, it seems to play out as a head-on collision of each genre. The central character of the film is pop idol Mima Kirigoe, who opts for a career change following her much-maligned departure from her all-girl teeny-bop singing group "CHAM!"

This sudden change upsets her fans to say the least, and pretty soon those around her start receiving threatening letters and such, and some are even later horribly murdered. To top things off, Mimi seems to be losing her grip on reality, a slip into insanity brought on by her newfound actress role on a brutally violent television series. And she seems to have two different stalkers, one real and one phantasmal. The first is the typical obsessed fan. The second has her hounded by a specter of her alter-ego who claims to be the true, squeaky-clean Mima, and it's all really only the beginning of forces that are ultimately out to claim her sanity.

"Perfect Blue" comes to us from a team of filmmakers at Manga Entertainment who really know their stuff about playing tricks on the mind. It's from director Satoshi Kon, based on the novel by Yoshikazu Takeuchi. "Perfect Blue" does contain some of the obligatory fashion elements of most Anime', not limited to extreme violence and graphic sexuality/nudity. But in actuality, this is the first animated film from Japan to find a useful purpose for things that would otherwise set off red flags. For example, it is after Mima's on-screen rape that things suddenly begin to really take a toll on her mental state.

Also like most Anime', "Perfect Blue" benefits greatly from a rich and lavish visual style that complements the animation greatly. The film's narrative works because of its "movie within a movie" theme, a setup that's been done to death in most live-action cinema, but seems to take on a whole new dimension in Japanese Anime'.

"Perfect Blue" is, in summation, an Anime' film that quite simply is not like anything else out there. Although it does end on a note of optimism that mostly (and carefully) explains everything, I just dismiss that as hardly anything hurtful from the mind-f**k experience. Lastly, the title is at least partially accurate with regard to its content: it's perfect.

(On a personal note, I would like to think that some of today's pop "princesses" could learn a thing or two from "Perfect Blue," just so you know.)

Perfect Thriller

Author: emasterslake from United States
13 January 2007

Before Satoshi Kon directed "Millinum Actress" and "Tokyo Godfathers" he did this one.

Perfect Blue is set in Japan of the late 90's. Where a pop idol name Mima Kirigoe is the leading singer of the "Cham" trio. She's been a successful hit for 2 years. And has decided that she'll move on to acting. Not many of her fans wanted Mima to leave "Cham". But she wanted to pursue her dream as an actress.

Things were going smoothly for Mima when she began her acting career in a small part for a drama/mystery story. Soon it all went down hill when the people who work for Mima suddenly got murdered. That and it seems Mima is loosing her privacy as a mysterious crazed fan knows every move and act she does day by day. And personal information about her daily lifestyle is being posted on the internet. Without a clue on how anyone would know without announcing it.

These events and incidents, that Mimia is going through is driving her insane. As reality and fiction seem to collide together ever since she quit being an idol. Who is responsible for the murders? Who is the mysterious stalker who's connected with this somehow? And what will become of Mima? This movie proves that Satoshi Kon had what it takes to be a director in Anime. The animation is older looking than the animation in his later works. But the characters, backgrounds, and objects are very believable. From beginning to end, this movie is both thrilling and exciting at the same time. It feels and looks like an Aniem version of a Hitchcock film. Perfect Blue is a great thriller anime that'll keep you guessing.

I suggest it for older teens or older. Due to it have some swearing, violence, blood, mild nudity, and one graphic stabbing scene.

I highly recommend to those who liked "Millinum Actress" and "Tokyo Godfathers".

Excuse Me Who Are You?

Author: nintendogamestar from United Kingdom
5 March 2006

So Mima asks with paranoid illusions and a movie that is just sheer perfection in the movie world. If Satoshi Kon was to never work on anything and deliver this would be it. It's truly superb! Perfect Blue combines an Alfred Hitchcock style horror turn based into this beautiful unravelling thriller. Junko Iwao plays Mima Kirigoe, the ex pop idol leaving the band Cham (english version) who now sets of on a career in the acting. Rumi (Rica Matsumoto), and Tadokoro (Shinpachi Tsuji) are Mima's agents and land her a role in a TV drama being made, where Mima loses the innocence that was provided with her as a pop singer, and once a rape seen his filmed, Mima starts to have paranoid feelings, with hallucination's, and on top of this (Masaaki Ôkura) Uchida the fan becomes more of the obsessing fan. It's my personal favourite anime movie, and i hope that this has helped people and encouraged them to see it. From 10/10 Satoshi Kon combined horror, style, and an innocent look and slightly true of a pop idol searching for fame in another industry. Great film, that's powerful and thought provoking through to the final credit.

A worthwhile watch.

Author: tokyowars from Australia
25 August 2005

Contains slight SPOILERs but they are minor compared to what is revealed on the discussion boards!

Perfect Blue. To many anime fans this title may be immediately recognized as one of the so-called classic anime of all time. I myself knew it held this distinction but never knew why as I had never had the opportunity to watch it. When I finally got hold of it I read a couple of reviews on the net about it. They stated that it was a very confusing film, which had no clear story line and switched between story lines too much. Now one of my friends happened to have a go at watching it before I did. He had his very young son on his lap and randomly flicked through the film to see what the animation was like (I'm guessing that's the reason anyway, since I do that myself). He happened to come upon a scene where a girl is getting raped. Since his son was watching the film with him, he immediately stopped the film and messaged me asking if I had watched it and did I know the content. When he told me what he had seen I was slightly shocked that a film, which contained a scene such as this, could be labeled a classic. (However there are films such as Ninja Scroll and Wicked City which contain scenes such as this and are still viewed as classics, so I wasn't totally surprised.) I knew then I had to watch the film, if only to decide whether to keep it or get rid of it I'm a hoarder so this is a very important decision!). While I was watching the film I had in mind the rape scene so my viewing was slightly tainted. The film itself is what I would classify as a psycho-thriller? It was slightly creepy/scary in parts but in a mental freak out kind of way. The story did kind of flick around a bit but from the way I understand the film, that was the intention. Towards the end of the film you are left questioning whether what you have been shown as reality is in fact reality or could it be that it is a film within a film (a tribute to Shakespeare's Hamlet perhaps?) It was in the vein of M. Night Shyamalan's movies such as 'The Village'. There was a lot of implied 'scariness' and encouraged your brain to make up the rest. It was slightly violent, which brings me to the first rape scene. This was the one my friend had seen. It was disturbing mainly because I am deeply against ANY sort of violence against women let alone something like this. It was justified (I believe) in the context of the movie and was interesting because the guy raping the main character actually says "I'm sorry" and he does actually mean it because *SPOLIER* filming the scene for a movie. Having watched the film in its entirety and now reflecting, it can also be seen as a trigger point for the events which then unfold. One of the main characters managers is watching the scene unfold on one of the preview screens and you can tell that she feels the main characters pain. So much so that you could almost believe that she is feeling the pain herself…I can't say anymore without ruining the movie completely as once you know the twist the movie is not worth watching, another M. Night Shyamalan trait. There is a second rape scene in the movie, towards the end, though not as justified as the first. This one is slightly more disturbing as there is no audience this time. While upon reflection this scene seems important for the conclusion of the film I cannot pinpoint the exact reason. Possibly it highlights the mental confusion in the film at its climax? I would love it if someone who has watched this film could maybe clarify the reason for this scene or even just throw up a suggestion. Despite the two scenes I have described in detail I did actually enjoy the film and would recommend it. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you enjoy anime and enjoy physiological thrillers then you may enjoy it.

REally good

Author: (sharitbilly@yahoo.com) from Loleta, California
19 April 2005

This film is Silence of the Lambs meets the Spice Girls wrapped up in a neat little anime package. Loved it. Wished I was an English voice talent in it. The twists and turns in the movies started to make ME think I was losing it. The subtle references to Lambs was great. I hope there is a sequel. This movie is worth buying. Add it to you ANIME collection!!!!!!!!!!! But you MUST rent it. My daughter rented it and she said it was great, that's why I watched. But you must watch it alone otherwise it won't be as scary. The saddest part of the movie was the rape scene. When MIMA goes back to her apartment and she's on her bed crying I couldn't help but cry with her. all in all, a bizarre movie.

Rex Entertainment proudly claims (truthfully) that Perfect Blue is the worlds first anime psychological thriller/horror.

Author: stacey (southern_fried_stace@yahoo.com) from United States
18 September 2004

Perfect Blue is the first Anime to thrill you, and freak you out, entirely on a psychological level. This isn't an action movie, it's comedy, it's not shojou, it's a psychological thriller / horror / mystery. In the past directors such as Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell) of incorporating psychological drama into their films, however these films remain action films at their core, the action is fundamental to the entertainment value of these movies. With Perfect Blue on the other hand it is the psychological elements which are the core of this film.

As great is this movie is, no movie is for everyone. Perfect Blue is very heavy material in many ways. The mature content and psychological violence isn't suitable for all, this definitively isn't for kids, and some adults might find it disturbing too. Additionally this movie is heavy thought material, it's easy to get confused by it, so save the movie for a night when you're in the mood to think, not merely be entertained.

one of the most terrifying characters in cinema

Author: kikumifu
30 June 2004

This film is a great animated thriller, and outdoes many of the live-action thrillers that I've seen. The animation is fluid and pleasant to watch, even when the scenes become graphic. For those reasons you should check out this movie, especially if you think of anime as either cartoons or all Dragonball Z.

But aside from that, the character Me-Mania is probably the hardest character for me to watch in any movie. I mean, Hannibal Lector, the father in Chinatown, nothing. His concept is frightening enough, the delusional stalker. But what is really terrifying is his character design and movements. His face is distorted, which at first leads you to sympathy in a feeling not unlike the one you get from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. But this guy is no Quasimodo. Soon you realize that his face is a mirror of his soul, and there is something terrifying and inhuman in him that leads you to believe (and you are reaffirmed of this in the film) that he is capable of terrible, terrible acts.

I'm female, so I guess that added to the fear of this man as well (you have to see it to get what I'm saying). But I seriously had trouble sleeping after this movie. Watch this, but be careful if you're easily affected by characters in movies (as I am) or squeamish, because there's some disturbing material in this flick. Definitely one of my favorite anime movies.

rating: A- for the effect

My Favourite Anime [So Far Anyway]

Author: MARVELMANIAC69
16 May 2004

Perfect Blue is probably one of the greatest anime's I've seen so far keep in mind I haven't seen a lot anime is a culture I've just recently started to introduce myself to.

Perfect Blue is fantastic it tells the story of a famous pop singer adored by her fans but decides to seek fame as an actress instead. In order to be more well known the writers force her to star in shocking sequences. She is then haunted by an mirror image of herself which is her when she was a pop singer.

I want to see more of Satoshi Kon's works I must. But I strongly recommend Perfect Blue but if you aren't a huge anime buff don't do what I did and jump head first into the disturbing watch some of Myasaki's works such as Kiki's Delivery Service or Spirited Away.

Adams Rating - 10/10

more perfect than blue

Author: malkane316 from NI
16 May 2004

Absolutely beautiful, and mesmerising. This is an extremely complex and complicated movie, especially if you are new to anime. The story tells of Mima, who decides to quit her life as a successful pop star and become an actress, and of the paranoia which follows as people around her die, seemingly because of a psychotic fan. Soon Mima questions whether she is herself, or an impostor, as the outside world seems to know her every move before she does. Think The Usual Suspects had twists? Pfff. This one will have you guessing until the end, and beyond. The dream sequences, if they are dreams, are particularly memorable, and the image of the fan in his room will not easily be forgotten. only the pop music is annoying, but that hardly matters. Unsettling. 9 out of ten