IMDb > My Dog Skip (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Dog Skip

My Dog Skip More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

touching kid-with-dog movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
31 March 2015

It's 1942 Yazoo City, Mississippi. Will Morris (Frankie Muniz) is a runt picked on by 3 bullies. His only friend is next door neighbor and local high school ball star Dink Jenkins (Luke Wilson). Dink goes off to war right before his ninth birthday. His father Jack (Kevin Bacon) is home with a war injury. His mother Ellen (Diane Lane) gets him a Jack Russell terrier but his father refuses to let him keep it. He wants to shelter him from the inevitable lost but she won't let it stand. Little girl Rivers Applewhite likes Will and his dog Skip. He befriends a colored boy who tells him that he's never heard of Dink but Waldo Grace is the best ballplayer. Dink sends him a German helmet and ammo belt. Will brings them in for show-and-tell and he is terribly picked on. The bullies dare him to spend the night in the cemetery to join the group. He and Skip battle moonshiners, stays all night and ends up joining the gang. Dink returns from the war haunted. Will is doing horribly at a baseball game and hits Skip. Skip runs away and gets into trouble with the moonshiners.

This is generally a touching kid with dog movie. There are some rough patches and trying to fit in too much. The story probably could use a lot of trimming. It's based on Willie Morris' autobiographical book and meanders like real life. Some of it plays falsely like the rough looking moonshiners. The narration is unnecessary and a more simple narrative would be a vast improvement.

Frankie Muniz is a good child actor. The bully is trying too hard to be a bully especially if he's suppose to become friendlier later on. The role needs a less stereotypical bully and a more compelling actor. Diane Lane is lovely. Kevin Bacon is not quite that commanding father figure. Luke Wilson doesn't really fit the star ballplayer type. Also I would have liked Dink play Waldo Grace in a game. I thought the movie was hinting in that direction but the race card seems to be played half-heartedly.

A movie with soul!

Author: Antonio Ramon from Brazil
17 February 2015

It's a simple film: no special effects, no complex camera movements, no explosions, or buildings falling down, monsters flying or running. No. Just a movie about a boy and his dog and how it's complex grow up, but can be fun, at the same time. "My Dog Skip" (2000) is one of that movies where you know will find emotional scenes or happiness moments, but even so you watch. Is it a predictable movie, maybe? Yeah, but this does not detract the shine of a story about a shy boy and his discovery of life. Willie Morris, or Will for his parents (because he don't have any friend of his age) it's a shy and alone boy, living on the calm town of Yazoo on the dark years of WWII. As he describe at the beginning: "Ten Townsend souls and nothing to do". Is this a nice place to live and grow? Not for Willie. Without friends, his life is empty and he's constantly annoyed by other boys. His parents try to understand the son, especially his father, described by Willie as a "soldier of Spanish Civil War, where lost part of his leg… and sometimes, I believe he's lost the heart too". His mom is sweet and understandable, trying to help her boy. Well, his life changes when he won a dog on his birthday. Called Skip, the animal will be the way of Willie understands himself and how to confront the world. Skip helps the boy to make friends, talk with his love girl and finally, be mature... grow up. This is the soul of "My Dog Skip". The director Jay Russell tries, at the first shoot, connect the story with his public. To be more specific: connect the characters with the public. When the dog appears, this important thing (connection) becomes more important. What does that means? It means that we'll care about the characters, their conflicts, problems… their lives. It's how if we could see ourselves on silver screen. To create a story, beyond the boy discover himself, Jay Russell adds a stolen of beers. The thieves are hiding drinks on the cemetery. But this part of the screenplay it's not so important than we discover how Will confront the life, the social problems (racism and racial segregation – we don't have to forget that the story takes place at 1940's) and moral conflicts (his best friend disinherits the Army and come back dishonored). All this things are seen by the point of view of a boy. It's a good movie, even if we know how will be the final, we see. Just because the director tried to connect the characters, the conflicts with the public. It's very grateful see this worry, a thing that, unfortunately, was forgotten by the directors and screen writers. "My Dog Skip" it's an old movie (have 15 years old), but must be revisited many times, just for understand how its important connect the story with public. Emotional, funny, sometimes sad, and the point of view of a boy about the growing… and how a dog can change the life forever. This is the soul of "My Dog Skip"!

Skip it

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
17 December 2014

Well, as this movie began, I thought I was really going to enjoy it, since the main premise of the plot seemed beautiful. When I was younger, I had the same issue that Willie had: I was in love with dogs, but my parents wouldn't allow me to have one. So, that being said, I sincerely wanted to enjoy the rest of this story, but it felt VERY difficult to do. The plot isn't any well written; as a matter of fact, Willie is a cute kid and all, but there isn't anything interesting going on to catch spectator's attention on the story. Willie and those young bullies do a lot of boring things, and I doubt that even kids can enjoy the young characters portrayed in this film. Also, I don't think that actors involved in this project tried to do their best, considering that performances are just average-- or less--, so it makes me wonder why "My Dog Skip" has such a good rating on IMDb. If I were you, I would just skip this flick and watch "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" again.

Very conventional and ordinary but has its moments

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
2 August 2010

Movies about dogs are not a novelty and this one isn't the best, but it is okay. This is one of the last "doggie" with some appeal and quality. In other words, traditional. Different from what movies of this kind (and cinema in general) have become in the most recent years.

The dog of this movie is a Jack Russell Terrier. A very correct selection, as it is one of my favorite dog breeds. Milo from 'The Mask' introduced me to this dog breed and since then I like these dogs very much. Jack Russell Terriers are small dogs yet so energetic. They're so jaunty, jolly, playful, hilarious and stubborn that you can't possibly not feeling amused around them. And they're also very intelligent dogs.

The story is sentimental/touching and the movie has appealing settings. There are some harsh moments as well, and some comedy. The ending is one of the most emotional in "doggie" films: the part when Skip is nearly dying but survives and Willie is crying and shows remorse on what he did in a moment of anger and the ending itself when years later the dog dies old and ill.

This movie is based on a real story and was released in 1999 or 2000, but when was it filmed? It must have been filmed a few years sooner? The kid who portrays Willie Morris (Frankie Muniz) looks unusually childish for a teenager. He looks like a child and even his voice is extremely childlike. Is it possible that he looked like that in 1999 or 2000? And he's only 1 year younger than me! Anyway, the boy does a fine portrayal in the movie.

Kevin Bacon and Diane Lane do a good job as Willie's parents, without forgetting that Diane Lane looks gorgeous in this.

Excellent

Author: Allen55darcel from Riverside, California
23 May 2002

This film clearly displays that dogs are a welcome part of society. I think that it deserves four stars and that Hollywood should make more movies of this sort. It shows that dogs as well as people, can be sensitive and display emotions very deeply. As a dog lover myself, I can certainly identify with this movie and what it is displaying, 100%. It certainly is a good family movie and moved me deeply at the end. Both dog and boy were hard pressed to part when it came time for them to say good-bye. It was very cute to see the dog at the bus station saying good-bye in his own way along with the parents. It reminds me of how sad my own dog looks at times when I leave home and have to part company. The two dog stars were very smart and displayed a very high level of intelligence. I can only say that Mr Morris was very fortunate to have had a mother so sensitive to his needs. I keep this movie at the front of my video collection. I never want to have to spend a long time having to look for its whereabouts and always want to have it at my disposal. I can only say that I do encourage Hollywood to make more of these movies in the near future. These movies are a source of good family entertainment. The actors and actresses were superb and also get a thumbs up.

Cuddly.

Author: johnny-143
19 June 2001

And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's full of cliches, it's true, and

some of the acting is stiff, but who can resist this kind of story?

Although I think The Yearling is a better film, this is right up there,

if you like dogs. I'm not crazy about them, but I kind of liked this

film. The kid from the tv show is good, but I wasn't crazy about the

music. Worth a look if you have a family, they'll enjoy it.

The best film about a dog ever.

Author: og_byrne from France
18 June 2001

Finally a film that truly understand the relationship between a kid and his dog without being stupid. I was sick of looking at films with dogs who are extra smart ,who are doing cheap tricks(Beethoven style) or even talking. It was about time that a director decide to make a realistic film about what a dog mean to a human being. This film is captivating , touching and wonderfully served by the great Frankie Muniz (Being 13 and playing a 8-9year old boy you need to give him credits for that!!) who is well know for Malcom in the middle. Kevin Bacon is great as usual(Even if his not in this film that much). Well a very touching film that I recommend for everyone who had a dog.

*** Sweet

Author: Bil-3 from Toronto, Ontario
22 May 2001

Cute little World War II film about a young boy (Frankie Muniz) and his devoted relationship to his adorable dog. Diane Lane proves to be growing more luminous as the year's pass, and here she's every bit the movie star as the young man's mother, with Kevin Bacon quite touching as his wounded veteran father. The film isn't anything too memorable but it's worthwhile family viewing all the same.

beautiful movie...very touching...

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
28 January 2001

My Dog Skip is a great movie about friendship and love. The love between a dog and a small boy in Mississippi during WWII. Willie is a lonely boy without any friends, and Skip somehow changes his life. Frankie Muniz is terrific in this movie, and his acting skills shine throughout. The other cast members are superb as well, and you really grow to love the characters they play. The dog in the movie is just wonderful, very well trained obviously, and you can't help but smile everytime you see him on screen. It's a wonderful story, and you probably can't help but cry in some parts, it's that good. I really never paid any attention to it, until I saw it on HBO, and since then, I watch it everytime it comes on. A touching story for the whole family, this is one you shouldn't miss. 10/10

Everyone needs a good cry now and then.

Author: j_golbey from Washington, DC
22 January 2001

I thought My Dog Skip was derivative, manipulative, far fetched and still, I sobbed at the end. I thought the final moments were the best part of the film. Yep, it evokes "to Kill a Mockingbird" in the mythologization of small town America. There are better coming of age stories, like "Stand by Me." But every generation needs a good animal movie that renders the viewer a weepy mess. The reunion of Dumbo and his mother, "Old Yeller", "Born Free", even Turner and Hootch, when that big old beastie dies in the arms of Tom Hanks. Seldom are there films that allow for that much emotional dredging when dealing with humans subjects.

See it and enjoy this little film.