IMDb > My Dog Skip (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Dog Skip

My Dog Skip More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

This story has been done many times.

Author: rockian from Reisterstown, MD
18 July 2001

I admit, this movie is your standard boy-and-dog movie. I admit it's full of cliches and scenes that we've seen before. But, frankly, so what? I admit it, I love these kinds of movies.

I think the acting was first-class. Kevin Bacon's role is one I never pictured him doing effectively, but he does. Diane Lane also does a good job.

This is definitely a tear-jerker, but that's OK. There's nothing wrong with shedding a few tears over a good story.

It's too bad that movies like this are put down because they follow a formula that's been done many times. I'd rather see more movies of this genre than a lot of the "deep" movies that are put out now. I give it a good 8 out of 10.

Excellent family film

Author: mbe238 from Florida, U.S.
6 June 2001

If you like sentimental,family oriented movies with meaning and substance, this one is for you. If you ever had a love for animals and how they can make a difference in the life of a child or adult this movie definitely tugs at your heart. The boy who plays the lead in the movie was without a doubt a perfect choice. I cried and laughed and wished I had the experience of living in this small rural town. A definite must see.

Boy comes of age with the loving support of his dog.

Author: emlewis from Ohio, USA
24 January 2001

The movie is about a young boy, about 10 years old, and how the unconditional love of his dog helps him transition from childhood to boyhood, then into young-manhood. It uses humor to balance the more serious aspects of growing up. Because it is set in the South during World War Two it touches on some serious issues such as segregation and war trauma. It is a family film but may not be appropriate for very young children or very sensitive children.

An absolute must see for anyone who has ever loved an animal. Frankie Muniz (from "Malcolm in the Middle) is wonderfully sweet as the boy and Moose the dog, the Jack Russell Terrier seen on "Frasier" and "The Mask", is as expressive an actor as any human. The movie has some of the same animal-human bonding as "Free Willy" and the nostalgia of "The Wonder Years" yet avoids being saccharine. It deserves to be a classic.

More than worth the time (If you've got a heart)

Author: skybird-2 from Centreville, Virginia
21 January 2001

My Dog Skip is a sweet, refreshing tale (memoir, as a matter of fact) from Willie Morris about growing up in Yazoo, Mississippi in the early 1940s. Anyone who had a dog as a child should be able to relate. Children under eight or so probably should have adult supervision due to the emotional impact of some of the scenes.

Love me I'm a dog

Author: lib-4 from Florida
16 October 2000

I just got my first dog in 27 years- this movie though meant for children really impressed me- Frank Muniz is excellent as the young Willie Morris, Kevin Bacon and Diane Lane round out a good movie for the whole family. The contrast between the young Willie and Dink is well done. Dink does prove himself in the end to be a hero. I wish the movie would have followed the book a little closer. A great movie to introduce kids to what having an animal friend is all about.

Sentimental? So what! I still love it!

Author: Texasguy from Sarah Lawrence College
28 September 2000

Maybe I'm just a sentimental old fool, or perhaps it's because I just lost my childhood dog, but I flat out loved this movie. Sure, you might think the "boy and his dog" thing has been done to death, but "Skip" dares to go into such emotional territory that if its simple story fails to move you, I simply don't know what will. You see, this movie is not so much about Skip, as it is about childhood in general, and oh what I wouldn't give to have those days back once more!

No, "My Dog Skip" will never be nominated for any oscars, and it probably will not appear on any critics top ten lists, but I give this movie a ten because it is a touching gem of good wholesome fun.

Not just another boy and his dog movie

Author: 09322 from The Heartland
8 September 2000

For anyone who had a dog for their friend as a child, this is a must see film.

In Willie Morris' remembrance of his boyhood friend Skip, strong performances are given by Frankie Muniz as Morris, Luke Wilson as Dink Jenkins and Diane Lane as Willie's mom, Ellen. And in a surprisingly different role for Kevin Bacon as Willie's dad, Jack Morris, Mr. Bacon's versatility as an actor truly shines.

The trials and tribulations of a young boy growing up in the Mississippi during World War II, My Dog Skip will let you remember, make you laugh, and probably have you shed a tear or two in the end.

A wonderful Memory

Author: ts-14 from Golden Valley Minnesota
6 September 2000

It brought back all the fond times of my boyhood years with our pets. I think this movie rates up there with Old Yeller and all the wonderful movies that bring back the times of childhood, friends of yesterday and most of all our loving four legged friends.

a trip back to an era that is long gone

Author: Zane from Arizona
31 August 2000

My Dog Skip was the most incredible movie that I've seen all year. Frankie Muniz is such a talented actor and he was perfect as Willie Morris. No wonder "Malcolm in the Middle" is such a big hit; this kid is the real deal.

How could anyone not LOVE this movie?

Author: Evan Stern from Austin, Texas
7 August 2000

By no means is "My Dog Skip" a perfect film. There are several

segments that are ridiculously far fetched, the theme of race is

only slightly touched on, and certain characters appear cliched

and flawed. Having said that, however, I can rightfully say now

that anyone who does not admit to even remotely liking this

movie is an absolute fuddy-duddie! This brilliantly executed

film touches on so many emotional levels that I not only found

myself laughing throughout much of the story, but crying

throughout the movie's final sequence. "My Dog Skip" is not your

run of the mill family flick about a boy and his dog. It is

instead a beautiful, if not heartbreaking, eulogy to childhood,

innocence, and an era of America's past that is sadly lost

forever. Though several reviewers have argued otherwise, I found

that "My Dog Skip" never fell into a trap of sentimentality due

to its honesty and truth. Towards the picture's end, for

instance, when the narrator asks "Why in childhood do we wish

time to pass so quickly, when in adulthood we wish just the

opposite?" I felt as if I had been hit by a ton of bricks. I

recommend this film to anyone interested in nursing their inner

child, for to watch this movie is to embark on a journey into

ones past. To the filmgoer who is willing to dismiss cynicism,

and simply sit back and let this gem of a picture, "My Dog Skip"

will undoubtedly conjure up a plethora of memories, both

painful, and cherished. I lo