IMDb > My Dog Skip (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Dog Skip

My Dog Skip More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

loved it

Author: goofan75090 from United States
22 May 2006

one of my favorite movies. My JRT looks so much like skip and i love that the movie is more about the dogs life than anything else. I cry every single time i watch it. A great great movie! The only part i did not like was when he kicked *if i remember right* the dog. That really could of been left out of the movie in my opinion. People who don't have a dog in there lives are really missing out on all that love. Although some people really don't need to have a dog or any other kind of animal. This is definitely a movie i would buy and i've only bought 3 movies in my 37 year old life. I agree that it's more for adults than for children as it is so sad.

one of Frankie Muniz's best

Author: theguys1 from Pennsylvania, US
28 June 2005

This is a five-year old movie, and I'd say it hasn't been topped so far. This is a beautiful picture that's about a child that is taught responsibility when his parents buy him a dog. The story takes place at the time of World War II, and it is not only the best movie that Frankie has played in, it's also one of Warner Bros. best. There are a lot of movies like this, like Shiloh and others that have slipped my mind at the moment.

Mostly all dog movies are okay, but the fact that this is based on a true story gives it a nice touch. This is one of the best true stories that teaches viewers about life and how rough it can be. My Dog Skip is a hilarious picture teaching us all a good lesson.

great movie, but..

Author: alpfan2004 from United States
27 May 2005

I thought My Dog Skip was a good movie. It is great for children and adults of all ages. I would have to agree with someone on why do they base the whole movie on the dog. I mean why do they write stories like that.

The part that confused me was the ending. I was confused on the part before the ending, when the story teller said he loved the rivers girl; but it didn't show her or anybody at the end.. If I am the only one confused about this please let me know because I am confused as hell. I mean why would you have such a good movie and then ruin the ending of it. To me that doesn't make to much since.

not enough tissues

Author: sgervais88 from United States
16 April 2005

not sure if this contains a spoiler or not!!! maybe...i just put that it is sad. i saw this movie when it came out, but i didn't really pay attention to any of it, as i was much younger then. however, tonite i hosted a slumber party (the girls are all sleeping now)and we honestly ran out of tissues. it was a brand new box, and at the end, we had to grab a roll of toilet paper. there were a lot of us (10) plus my mom and sisters (5) but still, it was a new box!!! this movie is one that my family will cherish for ever! it really pulls at ur heart strings! i suggest that before watching this film, u have tissues ready and that u have a shoulder to cry on. great film for anyone who grew up with a dog or for animal lovers. the character willie is played by frankie muniz and is a cute character. i think that frankie muniz was such a cute kid at this age. (cute now too!) if u have not seen this film, please rent it or buy it soon, because it will really hit close to heart and is enjoyed by many age groups. my friends and i are 15, my mom is 38, and my sisters range from 7-13. absolutely fantastic family film!!

Enjoyable movie which raised some questions in my mind.

Author: john_cberry from Canada
1 February 2005

My Dog Skip tells the story of a young nerd growing up in the southern US during World War II. He acquires a dog which turns his life around. It is a very kind-hearted entertaining movie. It raised some questions for me which make me want to read the original material, "true story" on which it was based. The boy's father is a veteran of the Spanish Civil War which would make him a "leftie" or a "Commmie"-would he really have been welcomed back in small southern town? The movie cleverly reverses the usual by making the mother the one who is pushing the boy toward boyhood while the father wants to protect him. He is given a "girlfriend"; is this modern cliché for real? It seems the gang of young thugs are just trying to help him become a boy: I'm skeptical about that too. In one scene the two children are shown riding their Schwinn bicycles on the sidewalk under the benevolent eyes of adults. Riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is an 21st century habit still against the law. I don't believe it would have been tolerated in the film's era. If you like this film, you might like the French movies My Father's Glory and My Mother's Castle.

Simplistic, but very effective

Author: sjmcollins-1 from New Orleans
23 January 2004

(Minor spoilers) My Dog Skip really carries no clever dialogue, or anything that I would view as original or inventive. You will also have to accept the fact that dogs can understand perfect English as well. It just tells the story of a young boy growing up with his dog, a dog that helps to bridge the gap between himself and some of life's difficult moments. Anyone that has been in the position of Frankie Muniz's character can completely identify with this, and can enjoy the film on those merits alone. There are a few scenes, however hardened you may find yourself, that will have you bawling like Ricky Schroeder after a boxing match. When the kid leaves for college, and Skip is staring after the bus, have the Kleenex handy. And when Skip tries to climb on the kid's bed after but can't, get ready for a complete breakdown.

Every family needs an optimist

Author: Old Joe from Hamilton, Australia
2 August 2003

‘My Dog Skip' is a movie that teaches all movie-goers why we have pets, to be great friends, and help us through the tough times in our lives. Also after watching this movie, I feel you cannot escape asking yourself `What is my favourite pet?' I have had two favourite pets, one was my father's boarder collie-cross kelpie sheep dog, called ‘Lassie', who was a fantastic dog, both as a worker for my father, and a family pet for my Sister and I when we were growing up. I have never forgotten the night she died. But these days, my family's oldest cat, a pure tortoiseshell cat, would have to rank as my favourite pet. This is a highly entertaining family movie, with a great humour, sentiment and emotion.

Who says best friends have to be human? Not Willie Morris, who receives a talented terrier named Skip for his birthday. With Skip's remarkable and unconventional help, Willie and Skip turn bullies into friends, tangle with hapless moonshiners, and even win the affections of the prettiest girl in school. Shining with warmth and humour, ‘My Dog Skip' unleashes a story that will have the entire family sitting up begging for more.

Director, Jay Russell, did a fine job with this movie. I loved all the shots with the dogs that play ‘Skip', as these were done with great class and emotion by Russell. He also re-created the time for the movie beautifully, and handled all of the young performers in the movie very well, because they stood out to me every time they were onscreen, none more so, then Frankie Muniz. Also, having the movie only run for little under an hour and a half, was the perfect length, which I am sure Jay has to take the credit for.

The story for ‘MDS' was based on the true story, written by Willie Morris, a very intelligent story indeed. The screenplay for the film was adapted by Gail Gilchriest, who I am sure, would have had Willie's input many times. Gilchriest added in a large amount of story for both Skip and Willie and showed Willie's life to be very unpleasant many times. But the great parts about this script are its ‘emotional and very human side', which I know I will not forget for along time to come

Willie Morris (played by a very young Frankie Muniz) was perfectly casted in his role. Before seeing this film, I have found Muniz to be an unusual kind of actor, mainly because of his role in the weird and dysfunctional TV-comedy ‘Malcolm in the Middle'. But after seeing him in this film, he convinced me how talented he really was. I also think that Muniz needs to be commended for how well he acted with the two dogs in the film, as this was vital to final make-up of the film.

Willie's parents, Jack (Kevin Bacon) and Ellen (Unfathful's Diane Lane) were perfect choices as the conservative parents. I especially like how Ellen tries to makes Willie's life as good as it can be, considering the barrage of abusive he receives. Jack is a very wise man, and tells his wife that letting a dog come into their son's life could be harmful, because he will become attached to the animal and love it. He is afraid Willie could be hurt via the animal. Willie has a great relationship with his next door neighbour, the famous Baseballer Dink Jenkins (Luke Wilson). Wilson is convincing as Dink, especially when he returns from serving in the 2nd World War. He is a very dark type of character, after that event.

The town characters are also interesting to see on the screen. Willie's enemies/friends are entertaining to watch see go from one stage to another, thanks to the help of Skip. Willie also gets the girl of any boy's dreams, that of Rivers Applewhite (Caitlin Wachs). The townfolk love the cute little dog of the Morris's, especially the local butcher, Barney (Bill Butler). However there is one person that we do not see, but only hear his voice in the film. The narrator (Harry Connick Jnr.) is the very deep voice of a much older and wiser Willie Morris. I really like Connick's part in the film, as it is not unlike that of Alec Baldwin's voiceover performance in ‘The Royal Tenenbaums'.

Much of the credit for the film, has to go the two dogs trained in the film. Skip (Enzo and Moose), were extremely well trained in the film, by animal trainer Maltilda de Cagny. I loved every scene with Skip in it, as it would bring a smile almost every time. But the best scene has to be when Skip is causing a stir through Mississippi, with Willie and Ellen. I could not stop laughing.

My only disappointment after seeing this film for a second time is that I wish I had had a dog just like ‘Skip'. My reasoning is because I had an indifferent time as child, being picked on like Willie was in the film. I really could have used a friend like ‘Skip'. When I compare this movie to other movie and TV experiences I have had, I think of an old TV show called ‘The littlest Ho-Bo', which featured a big German shepherd, who wandered from town to town helping many people on his journey. It was very similar to ‘My Dog Skip', as it had great emotion, and was one of my favourite TV shows as a child. This film and ‘October Sky', while handling completely different stories and age groups for that matter, are similar qualities of movies. However, ‘My Dog Skip' is just a little better from where I viewed it. If you have not seen this movie, then I can only recommend you do. But I warn you, have the tissues handy, as there will not be a dry eye in the house.

CMRS gives ‘My Dog Skip': 5 (Brilliant Film)

Great Movie - But not the book

Author: iceberg1948 from Perth, Western Australia
18 October 2002

Another reviewer stated that the movie was loosely based on the book. If loosely means that the story is about a boy and his dog in Mississippi during and after WWII, then that is an apt description, because the rest is fabricated by Hollywood.

Skip was a Smooth Fox Terrier, a different breed than the Jack Russell. It would be like using an Old English Sheepdog instead of a Collie in Lassie. The Jack Russell is a great little dog, but it wasn't Skip.

All the drama with the neighbor being a deserter and the father a war hero wasn't mentioned in the book. The writers didn't think the book had enough interest to sustain a 'major motion picture'. What a pity.

As I said in the heading, Great Movie! I loved watching it. The Jack Russells, Moose from 'Mask' and 'Frasier' (great series but the main reason I watch it is for 'Eddie') and his son Enzo are wonderful.

The movie stands on its own as an entertaining piece of work. But it's not the book.

Don't skip this movie

Author: Stephen Verhaeren from Palos Park, IL USA
19 July 2002

If you are going to watch My Dog Skip, I recommend you to watch this movie with a box of tissues in case you feel a cry coming on. This movie is based on a true story, and is a great movie to watch whether you have read the book or not. As the movie opens, Willie Morris (Frankie Muniz)'s best friend and neighbor Dink Jenkins (Luke Wilson) is about to go into the army. And while Dink is away, Willie's mom (Diane Lane) decides to give Willie a dog for his 9th birthday, but Willie's father (Kevin Bacon) is against the idea. Willie's mom gives him a birthday party, but the guests are old people. And at the party Willie's mom presents her son with a dog, but his father angry with his wife for going behind his back, and takes the dog away from Willie. (Spoiler Warning) Willie's mom does give Willie the dog any way. And sneaks into Willie's bedroom while he is sleeping. (Spoiler Warning #2) Willie Morris begins making freinds, and meets a girl named Rivers Applewhite (Caitlin Wachs). If you have watched the movie, and like it you may like to read the book called My Dog Skip written by the real Willie Morris. Willie Morris died of a heartattack on August 2, 1999. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie. 9/10

Delightful

Author: Claleine from England
30 May 2002

Having lost my cat only a week ago, this was the most perfect film I could have watched.

I have never seen a film touch on the bond between a human and animal so well as My Dog Skip. I remember when this was released in the cinema, I had no interest in seeing it, as I thought it was going to be about a quirky dog and all the hilarious things he gets up too etc. How wrong was I?

This film has totally hit a spot within me. I cried towards the end, not just because of the content of the film, but because of what it had to say. This film had the most beautiful message. Two spirits joining together to form a wonderful bond.

I love this film. Frankie Muniz is the best child actor around.