My Dog Skip (2000) Poster

A family movie that the adults will probably appreciate even more than their kids
mctheimer18 April 2000
This is an absolutely wonderful movie that's aimed for children, but will probably be even more loved by adults.

In 1942, a 10-year-old boy who is more intellectual than athletic and is constantly teased by others finds solace in the puppy given to him on his birthday. The dog helps him make friends and grow up.

That's the capsule of the plot. This movie is much more than that. The acting all around is excellent, but special credit must be given to Frankie Munoz (as the boy) and Moose, the dog from "Frasier" as...the dog.

"My Dog Skip" does a wonderful job of showing all of the joys and agonies of changing from a child into a young adult. It's hard not to recognize yourself in the episodes.

While this movie is sentimental, it's not played for sentimentality. That's much of why it works so well. You won't feel like you're being manipulated as you watch.

Be forwarned: some of the scenes might be rather intense for children under the age of seven. You, as an adult, will probably want to bring along some hankies. >
35 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the power of friendship
peej6808 July 2000
There have been many movies about a person's relationship with an animal, but "My Dog Skip" is one of the best that I have ever seen. I discovered this movie on video and it will definitely become a part of my collection.

In the 1940's, during World War II, things are rough in the USA. Willie Morris is not your average boy. He would rather read than play football with the other guys. When Willie's parents let him have a dog, it changes his whole outlook on life. He and his dog Skip have a unique friendship that becomes unmatched by anything else.

While this movie's target audience are kids half my age, it is perfect for everyone. Its story is very true to life, probably because it's based on Willie Morris' own childhood and his memoir of the same name. I had a dog that was just like Skip -- a true friend. There's nothing like a constant companion that will stick by you even when it seems that the world is against you. Even if you're not a dog fan, you shouldn't look past this movie.

The cast is excellent, especially Frankie Muniz, who's now known as Malcolm from Fox's "Malcolm in the Middle." He exudes boyhood innocence and bonds with his pet better than he does with humans. His parents, Diane Lane and Kevin Bacon, do a fine job as well. Rounding out the major cast is Luke Wilson, as Willie's changed-by-war neighbor Dink.

"My Dog Skip" is funny and heartwarming. You'll laugh and chances are you could shed some tears as well, but it's all worth it in the long run. This a movie that should not be missed by anyone, especially if you have had a special animal friend in your life.
45 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm a 36-year-old man, and this movie made me cry big time.
rbryan-24 June 2003
Folks, this movie knocked me for a tear-jerking loop when I first saw it, and it knocked me again just now (as it aired on TNT). I had a dog exactly like Skip, and growing up, I was a lot like Willie. The movie will hit incredibly close to home for anyone who loves dogs or who had a close relationship with a dog in his or her childhood.

The movie's beginning and its ending are its best moments. In between, the movie carries along pretty well. I dare say, the last five minutes are absolutely some of the most powerful moments any dog lover may ever see in a movie.
61 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A gentle, heartfelt and emotional picture. *** out of ****.
Movie-1224 March 2000
MY DOG SKIP / (2000) *** Starring: Frankie Muniz, Kevin Bacon, Luke Wilson, and Diane Lane Directed by Jay Russell. Written by Gail Gilchriest, based on the book by Willie Morris. Running time: 95 minutes. Rated PG (for brief violence and mild language).

"My Dog Skip" is an emotionally effective and challengingly involving piece of cinema. The film, directed by Jay Russell, based on a writing by Willie Morris, works well because it proves two theories: 1) The war affected not only the soldiers in battle, but also normal families in minor but critical methods, and 2) Childhood can be best remembered by our fond memories with the family's dog. These elements present the audience with an accurate and knowledgeable atmosphere with memorable characters and issues.

The movie is set in the summer of 1942. The story explores a family of three, Jack, Ellen, and Willie Morris. Jack (Kevin Bacon) is the heartbroken father who lost his leg in war years ago. Ellen (Diane Lane) is the simple minded housewife doing more manual labors than women usually complete. Willie (TV's Frankie Muniz) is their lonely son-maybe ten years of age. He has no local friends, is poor at sports and teased at school. His best acquaintance is in his mid twenties, a mechanic named Dink (Luke Wilson), who is called for battle not too long into the picture, leaving Willie all alone.

Ellen decides to go against father's orders and purchase Willie a faithful companion of his own for his birthday: a puppy. Although Jack firmly opposes this gift, his wife convinces him Willie is old enough to take care of a dog. Willie names his new friend Skip, who drinks out of the toilet, does not obey commands, and seemingly understands human emotions.

"My Dog Skip" wisely uses the war as a mood developing overtone; a background event that provokes confusion in Willie and gradually changes the lives of those around him. The time period is ideal for such a film to take place. The filmmakers produce a lifelike atmosphere that perfectly defines what living in the 1940's was like.

The film features beautiful and captivating performances by everyone in the cast. Frankie Muniz, from Fox's "Malcolm in the Middle" on TV, is very effective and well cast. He creates the appropriate narrative connection the film depends upon. Kevin Bacon is broad yet poignant, with a bold mood of a father in the 40's. Luke Wilson is also successful here, making his dynamic character obvious throughout. Diane Lane does not have enough screen time to explore any real material, but creates rich character chemistry with Bacon.

The movie could investigate the Luke Wilson character more thoroughly. About half way into the story, "My Dog Skip" nearly drops this seemingly important character only to later bring him back to supply the plot with several crucial sequences. Skip's intelligence appears to altered in various scenes throughout the production. In one scene, the dog will presumably understand human emotion and restore motivation. In others he cannot accomplish simple tricks and drinks out of the family toilet. This animal, although very significant character, needs to be more consistent and less exaggerated.

Most of the film's dialogue is right on the money; smart and fitting. It is not too straightforward or excessively blunt, but gentle and thematic. Most of "My Dog Skip" is gentle-hearted, however, and provides the lovable atmosphere that starving audiences are searching for, along with high quality and entertaining situations, in family based movies. If this description fits you, regardless of age, this is the movie you are looking for.

"My Dog Skip" is brought to you by Warner Bros.
31 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Family Film
Ginger878 September 2004

"My Dog Skip" is a great family film. I saw it in theaters when I was 13 years old and loved it. The plot was cute, the acting was very well done, and "Skip" was so cute.

"My Dog Skip" told the story of a lonely shy boy growing up in the World war II era. He then got a dog named Skip for his birthday and together they had many adventures. My favorite part of this movie is when Skip drives the car. That was so cute. The ending of this movie is very sad and made me want to cry.

Overall I give this movie 10/10 stars and suggest all families should see it.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Heartwarming heartbreaker
helpless_dancer28 November 2001
Anybody who had a close friend during childhood who happened to be a canine should go for this one. Like most of the pooch films it was corny in spots, but at least Skip wasn't endowed with human intelligence. Of course, the mean men were around to cause trouble for the dog and boy; can't get by without them. Fun movie, but be sure to bring along a crying towel.
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
loosen up
beaner-126 April 2004
This movie sucked me in from the very beginning. I am a sucker for movies that depict childhood through the eyes of the child after they have become an adult. It is really about the powers of friendship and the rites of passage that mark our lives as we get older and move forward through life. Despite all the violence that permeates the movies, where the body count keeps going up, I was shaken when Willie strikes the dog during a baseball game. We all do things that we are ashamed of and this scene struck me as very realistic. In the end when Willie goes away to college and the dog is waiting at the bus stop for him, there is a permeating sadness that I occasionally feel when I think of things I loved that no longer exist. Damn movie made me cry.
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
an endearing film with heart
michaelsibley4166 September 2004
I loved this movie from start to finish. "My Dog Skip" reminded me a lot of a 1998 movie called "Simon Birch" from the narrator to the feeling I got inside while watching both films.

I was also thrilled to learn that Kevin Bacon was a part of this cast because he is an actor that has presence. Every time he is on screen it is as if the screen shines. "My Dog Skip" also stars one the best child stars around named Frankie Muniz. When talking about natural talent this kid has it. Rounding out this cast is Diane Lane and Luke Wilson.

As Haley Joel Osment did with his performance last year in "The Sixth Sense," Frankie Muniz stole the show this year with his in "My Dog Skip."

This may not be an original idea but it is presented in such a way that works. "My Dog Skip" is refreshing and non-violent film that allows everyone to sit back and relax. All I have to say about this film is bravo on a movie well done on the acting as well as the directing. Everything about the film was terrific.

I wish I could live the life of this kid and have a dog this loyal and obedient. I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish.

I recommend that everyone watch "MY DOG SKIP."
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Adorable Tale of Loyalty and Friendship
Claudio Carvalho3 October 2015
In 1942, in Yazoo, Mississippi, the lonely and outcast boy Willie Morris (Frankie Muniz) is the only son of the harsh war veteran Jack Morris (Kevin Bacon), who lost his leg in Spain, and the housewife and lovely mother Ellen Morris (Diane Lane). Willie Is bullied by three schoolmates and his only friend is his older neighbor Dink Jenkins (Luke Wilson), who is a baseball player and idol of the town. When Dink goes to Europe fight in World War II, Willie is alone again. However, on his ninth birthday, Ellen gives a dog to her son despite the protest of Jack. Willie gives the name of Skipper "Skip" that becomes his best friend. Skip helps Willie to have friends and to get close to the girl Rivers Applewhite (Caitlin Wachs), for whom he has a crush, changing his life for better.

"My Dog Skip" is an adorable tale of loyalty and friendship based on a true story. It is beautiful to see the world through the eyes of a child while he is growing-up. Enzo the Dog is so cute and steals the show. "My Dog Skip" is a wonderful film for the whole family and I only regret that it took me fifteen years to see this movie. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Meu Cachorro Skip" ("My Dog Skip")
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some Good 'Ole Southern Charm
ccthemovieman-111 November 2006
Here's a bit of an unusual film: a modern-day movie made more for adults than kids but could be equally enjoyed by both. There are 9 "damns" and a few other profanities, but nothing earth-shaking.

It's simply the memoirs of Willie Morris, a southern boy who wound up as a famous writer and editor of Harper's Magazine. Being that magazine is pretty Liberal, you get Liberal slants in the movie (racial and anti-war sentiments) but nothing heavy-handed.

As a good story does, it makes you care about the characters, especially the lead one. In here it's "Willie" and his dog "Skip." Early shots of Skip growing up - measured in how he related to the toilet bowl - are funny. You also care about his parents and are glad when the dad (Kevin Bacon) softens his stance on things. As a guy, I appreciated just looking at Diane Lane. What a gorgeous face!

The cinematography is pure southern charm and looks great on DVD. It's not all sweetness. There are some angry moments and some sad ones, to be sure. In summary, however, a nice film.....pure and simple.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Heart-warming, sentimental, and unabashedly honest (true) story that a great many of us can relate to
TheUnknown837-13 December 2010
I've seen "My Dog Skip" twice in my life and those two viewings are separated by an entire decade. The first time I saw it was in the spring of 2000, a little less than a year after I had gotten my dog. Seeing that movie as an eight-year-old really moved me and developed an extreme appreciation for the friend that I had and still have in Copper, that little, spunky tail-wagger. By the end of the movie, I was in tears. Now, having seen the movie again for the first time in ten years, my reaction was the same. Yes, there are a handful of movies that can succeed in bringing tears to my eyes. "Schindler's List" and "Vertigo" are two of them. "My Dog Skip" is another.

This picture could be considered the "Old Yeller" of contemporary times. It's sweet, it's simplistic, its sentimental, and its honest. The true story of Willie Morris, who grew up in the 1940s as a painfully shy boy whose best friend was the local baseball hero who lived next door. When his friend was drafted into World War II, Willie was alone in the world until his mother went against his father's wishes and bought him a terrier for his birthday. That moment was the turning point in Willie Morris's life.

The movie "My Dog Skip" is a beautiful dramatization of an entirely involving story. I don't know if the touch about the moonshiners has any factual basis (or for that matter, if anybody in the audience can identify with that) but every element about the boy and his dog is absolutely heart-breaking. Now I am a sucker for movies like this, but I don't think you have to be a sentimental as me to get involved here. As Richard Roeper so eloquently put it on Ebert & Roeper, "only a heartless curmudgeon - the type of person who would kick a puppy" could not be moved by this. The movie tackles all the important elements of the relationship between a boy and his dog: loyalty, responsibility, love, etc. But it also crosses over into subjects that are seldom explored. Darker moments like what happens when the boy has a few other friends but happy go-lucky Skip really wants to play fetch? It also touches realistically upon (and I can back this up from personal experience) the pains of being alone and tormented by others and how having just one friend - just one friend - can change everything.

What I also adored about the movie was the way the supporting roles were handled. Kevin Bacon and Diane Lane are not only in fine form as the boy's parents, but they are given very naturalistic and humanlike characters to play. The father's initial reluctance to allowing his boy to take on the responsibility of pet - and having some of his fears come true - was a great touch, but the movie does not make the foolish mistake of over-blowing it to the point where we'd dislike the father. We see his concerns and his wise outlook on the world, and watch him as he sort of softens up along the way. And his mother is completely open to any solution that can help their kid along. These are two people who deeply love each other and deeply love their child and want to see the best for him.

Maybe the subplot with the obligatory puppy-kicking curmudgeons (this time moonshiners working in a cemetery) has some factual basis (I've never read Willie Morris's autobiography, so I can't be sure) but it was the least interesting and most mechanical element in the movie and it seemed, until a crucial point, to sort of stop the picture. However, since it is so minor and so dismissible until a certain point, it does not really interfere in the enjoyment of the movie. And again, I must be honest that by the end of the picture (now an adult) I was balling like a little boy. And, still an adult, as soon as it was done, I got out of bed, walked over into the next room where Copper was sleeping and hugged him passionately. The poor dog. He was probably wondering why he had been woken up at one in the morning after several hours of peaceful slumber, but it was sort of necessary at the time.

That's what makes movies like "My Dog Skip" so great. It's not one of those pictures that essentially gets down on its knees and begs you to like it and to be moved. You really have no choice but to be moved. Not unless you never owned a dog or a pet of any kind. Seeing the movie again for the first time in ten years reassured my respect for my own dog and thankfulness that having him as a loyal friend changed the course of my life.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An only dog meets an only boy
shrinkingman0614 August 2009
Superb, emotional film (with some comedic moments) about a lonely boy whose dog changes his life. We look back at our youth with both joy and sadness (the second because it can never really come back, but we do have memories). The film's score accents the period and the story.

There is also a bit of hero worship of Dink by Willie, but his idol falls short of expectations upon returning from the war.

Filmed in Canton, Mississippi (there is a museum there with film memorabilia). Jackson, Miss. native Willie Morris, the author, sadly did not live to see the premiere of this film, having died seven months before.
Made me cry
wohoman20059 October 2008
Hello Everyone, I Remember watching this movie with my kids, I cried then, even more then they did. and just saw it on HBO and, just started balling all over again, it takes me back to being a kid and my dogs that went everywhere i went. the female was so spoiled very fufu, were the male was just like WHATEVER DUDE,Also of my parents, mostly my Father, he was in WWII, A nose gunner in a B-24 fighting the Japanese, as I look back and the story's he told about being a kid also the old homes, my parents were from Worcester Mass, this movie really moved me. I highly recommend this movie to anyone!, even the old tough guys who never cry, because that was ME.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
tear jerker for anyone who has a heart.
aussieukangel9 August 2005
This is one of the best movies I have seen recently. From start to finish it delivers a great storyline and the characters are so real, you can really relate to them and feel for them. Its a very down to earth movie, no special affects etc but I think that just adds to the movie. The scenery is great too. If you love dogs then this movie is for you! The last 5 minutes are especially touching - don't watch this movie without a big box of tissues. I cried most of the way through this movie and I wont say if it was with sadness or happiness because I don't want to spoil it for the rest of you . But I rate it 10 out of 10 and if you miss seeing it, you are missing a real treat. Grab this movie and watch it, you wont be disappointed !!
jijbentpasechtraar11 July 2005
Very good movie!! But my burning since the movie was shot 5 years ago..are those dogs still alive.. ??????

Because i saw the dog died..and almost..cried..well..almost.. i did actually i love that movie but i really do want to know if those dogs are still alive ??

So i don't think anyone can..but I'm gonna try anyway..

Can anyone tell me if those dogs are still alive..since it has been 5 years !

So there it is..i really love the movie and the ending is perfect but i do really really want to know if there still alive..anyone ?
Great family movie
J knapp18 August 2003
It's always hard to find a great movie for my family that isn't rude, brash or just plain bad. This movie is excellent entertainment for everyone. Very well filmed and a plot that keeps moving. My boys (ages 7,10) loved it -- you will too.
A tender, warm movie.
ramviper5 September 2002
This is a very special movie that would be enjoyed by anyone who loves animals. The bond between Willie and Skip is very special and enjoyable to witness.

Be sure to have a full box of Kleenex ready when you watch this movie.
Love `em and leave `em
neongen31 March 2002
There is not anyone who cares about animals more than do I. I have mixed feelings about My Dog Skip. The first 3/4 of the film is rather dull although Kevin Bacon is fine in his role as an unhappy disabled father. The last twenty-five minutes are pure gold BUT the boy/young man leaves his dog for three years to go abroad to school (the film does not make clear if he returned for visits) and Skip died (and no doubt spent these years mournng his departed friend) while the young man was away. And this film is about loyalty? I would not leave my dogs for any length of time for any reason.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Monika-57 December 2000
What a sweet, wonderful movie! I wanted to savor every minute of it. The period flavor, costumes and props were all handled very well, as was the acting. Frankie Muniz (who I think is one of the most natural young actors around), Kevin Bacon, and Diane Lane, and the guy who played the fallen football hero (don't know the actor's name) were fantastic, but the real star of the movie was "Skip"! If you've ever had a special pet, this movie is for you.

BEWARE! Make sure you watch this movie with plenty of tissues! Before the movie was done I had to race to the bathroom and grab a box of Kleenex! But this story is so beautiful I didn't mind crying.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My favorite dog movie?
Stellarvore1 January 2012
I just watched this movie with my mom last night for the first time in a few years. What can I say? It's quite possibly one of the saddest (yet most beautiful) dog movies I've seen.

It's based on a true story, set in the Yazoo, Missouri, 1942, about a 9-year-old kid named Willie Morris (Frankie Muniz), an only child without friends. His mom Ellen (Diane Lane) gives him an adorable terrier (Enzo the Dog) for a birthday present whom Willie immediately befriends and names Skipper, but his dad Jack (Kevin Bacon) - a Spanish Civil War veteran, objects to the idea of him owning a dog, saying that dogs are just a heartbreak waiting to happen. Skip guides Willie through childhood, helping him make friends and grow up, becoming popular in the town and always standing by Willie's side and loving him no matter what.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of family movies (though I can make exceptions and still have some favorites from childhood), but it's such a wonderfulfilm. Even at the age of 18 (as opposed to the age of 11 or 12 when I first saw it and it didn't), the ending brought tears to my eyes, which not even I Am Legend could accomplish for me. I'm a huge dog lover and own a 2-year-old golden retriever and once had a golden retriever-collie half breed who passed away at the same age as Skip.

Beautiful, funny, heartwarming, and entertaining.

10/10 (100% recommended for dog lovers)
A Tear For A Great Movie
Amsomnia Studios20 January 2008
My dog skip is not that old, but the feelings you get when you see this is older then your own live time, i mean the memory you begin to remember when seeing it. You remember what it was to be a child, what is was to be that small and fragile and lonely sometimes. But the most you remember is the losses and the gains that was taken with you in time. you learn things you missed, you remember things you haven't seen in many years, i have seen this movie so many times yet one tear or two always falls upon my face no matter what, and thats because i remember my childhood. This movie ain't for the people who cry at just anything because the tears will be falling more then you would imagine.

The story of a boy and his dog, who teaches him how to grow old, well we all in some way will always could relate to that.

I am sorry...

But you gonna cry...
Part of my "No Dry-eyes" movie list
S.R. Dipaling30 July 2007
The Summary line(as if this bears explaining)refers to my own sub-reference of movies that I believe any person has. NAmely,a group,however large or small,of films that have me uncontrollably in tears. "Babe","Charlotte's Web", "Toy Story 2" and "Bambi" fall into this category(those are just off the top of my mind,BTW). I dare anyone who's had dear friends that are pets to watch this show and not have some wet in their eyes.

Writer Willie Morris was but a boy during World War II and a lonely only child. In an effort to get him to get out of his shell,his parents--the dad(Kevin Bacon)much more reluctantly than the mom(Diane Lane)--decide to get him a dog. The dog,Skip,a well-tempered terrier(Jack Russell?)and Willie bond much better than anyone could've imagined,and the boy learns life lessons and discovers that he had more courage and integrity than he once imagined. As per any story involving friendships that start from youth,Willie grows up,Skip grows old and the sad,inevitable follow-through of the story is a poignant and even haunting.

Portrayed by the honest,if perhaps limited in range,actor Frankie Muniz(who may always be "Malcolm" of "Malcolm in the Middle"),Willie is neither cute nor snotty,and very much common. He's good at making his pains and struggles fel as real to the viewer as if you were enduring(perhaps even re-enduring them)yourselves as viewers. Lane and Bacon make warm,unsentimental yet true parents,and a supporting cast that includes Caitlin Wachs(As one of Willie's schoolmates)and Luke Wilson(As a local WAr Hero who may not be what he was made out to be),this film has an unforced warmth and humanity that most who have any interest in "lesson movies" will value greatly. Director Jay Russell(not to be confused with "Austin Powers" director Jay Roach)is given good material and a good cast to work with,so his job is fairly cut-and-dried: walk the viewer along on a nostalgic,sometimes humorous,sometimes sad journey down memory lane. I must confess that I've only seen this film twice,but the memory is so strong that I'm not sure if I can even talk about it,let alone watch it,without feeling the waterworks come up. Still,knowing that those are honest feelings from a literate and humble story,there's nothing wrong with wanting to tune in to this somewhat recent offering in the long pantheon of "Boy and his dog" stories.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one of the best all time animal films
pollitt-223 December 2006
This film is in the top 3 of all time best dog scene or films about dogs & their impacts on our lives. It joins the select list of Old Yeller, My Life As a Dog, & Unbearable Lightness of Being (dog death scene is emotionally devastating & profound in the context of underscoring love between a man & woman in that film). The overwhelming favorable reviews posted on this site are accurate. The film aptly portrays a challenging time in our nation's history as well as the critical years of child. It's not unlike Seabiscuit in that regard. It's what gets us through. I've had over 60 dogs in my life & have suffered & grown through their lives & deaths, some pleasant some violent. This film comes closest to capturing that sentiment after death with its ending.
scotty-3822 July 2002
You gotta see this one! It's lovable, cute, funny, and VERY heart-warming. You don't have to be a dog-lover to see this film. This film has the secret to friendship. It's the most lovable film i've seen in ever. I will even admit there was a time in this film where i cried slightly. I loved this film a lot. It's probably one of my favorites. Don't miss this film!