IMDb > Last Night (1998/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Last Night

Last Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Emotional and Validating

Author: Reuben-10 from The Heart of it All!
28 August 2002

This review may contain a spoiler because it alludes to the last scene in the film.

Robert Frost's poem "Fire and Ice" should find itself in this film. One passionate, silent kiss to sum up the emotion of losing everything man has fooled himself into thinking he controls and deserves makes this film a powerful statement of what is truly sacred. Perhaps it is this premise fulfilled perfectly by this last scene that beautifully legitimizes Last Night. The picture is at once disturbing and depressing yet inspiring, even if it reaffirms that one's actions have no effect on society. What makes this work is the deeply personal effect that it has on the viewer; we can not really do more than one thing at a time, and whilst everyone tries to overstimulate himself to make up for the time lost wrapped in the rush of life, the main character Patrick is disturbingly calm. Should we not want to 'take advantage' of the last hours of everything by enjoying everything? No, according to Patrick, whose cognizant actions, and later on everyone's actions, show just how futile the individual is. On the same point, who needs the incomprehensible world when a bottle of wine, a good record and a kiss, albeit of death and eternity, will do? If the world ends, it will certainly be these minutiae in life that we will miss--the things only to be enjoyed by the self or with a companion.

I won't sleep well tonight

Author: Mort & Spunky the awesome cat from Detroit
8 August 2002

Being accustomed to Hollywood formula films, I thought that this would be a waste. Instead, it was haunting and intriguing. Unlike some here, I thought that the characters were fascinating and brought out by stunning talent. Am rarely left so moved by a film. If I'd seen it at cinema, don't think I'd have slept for a week.

Thank heavens we have our good friends to the north to give us such films without accents and colloquialisms that leave us guessing.

It only left me with two questions, which may be stupid Detroiter questions: Why on earth would anyone still be driving an AMC Pacer? Who would keep it so well preserved?

This movie would've never been made in America

Author: psyk42 (psykaos42@yahoo.com) from The Hinterlands
14 March 2002

Haunting and sad, "Last Night" is a movie that could've only originated in Canada. We Yanks wouldn't stand for such a bummer of an ending-we'd insist that Bruce Willis save us at the last possible moment, as Aerosmith played in the background and Liv Tyler rolled around in a cornfield sans most of her clothes.

This is how the end of the world will look; anarchy, chaos, meaningless sex, violence for violence sake. When you only have four hours left to live, who cares if you kill someone or have sex with your high school French teacher?

What we find in "Last Night" is a disparate group of people, each of whom sets out to face the end in their own way. Their ways are as different as the people themselves, from Patrick's parents' insistence on pretending it's Christmas, to Sandra's suicide pact with her husband, to Craig's seemingly random, but actually carefully planned, sexual adventures.

This is the real thing, kids. No last chances, no final reprieves, no superheroes riding in to save mankind. Just despair and the very human desire to not be alone when it all comes apart.

I've seen this movie three times, and every time I watch it I see something I missed. For me that's the hallmark of a great movie; not just that you want to watch it more than once, but that you keep learning from it.

"Last Night." Who's to say how we'll live out our final hours?

One of my favorite movies

Author: Raleon from Berry Mills, New Brunswick
7 March 2002

I disagree with one comment which said that the characters of this movie don't learn anything. Patrick Wheeler finally finds out about human companionship at the end, which is his main role in the film, and Craig reaches his goal of achieving as many of his wishes as he can. The characters don't have to develop, they already are. This movie was a good rest for me from the cliche Hollywood stuff where the main character is elevated up to the status of a heroic god for doing something which may never happen in real life. Last Night isn't an epic, but a view of human nature, which is much more satisfying to me.

Very enjoyable

Author: NoRealityShows4Me from Seattle
4 February 2002

I bought the movie, after reading the reviews on IMDb and I loved it! This is "my kind" of movie. The actors don't look like movie stars, they just look like real people and you can't tell that they're acting, everything seems so natural. Although it's a sad story, it didn't depress me. As many people said before me, this movie is thought provoking. The point of the movie is to make us appreciate life and focus on the things that are the most import to each of us. It was enjoyable and inspiring. I recommend it to all the romantics "out there" and to everybody else, unless they're looking for "action" and special effects. This is no "Independence Day"!

I liked it...

Author: R.L. Hill from Indianapolis, In
24 January 2002

Very thought provoking movie I still think about several days after viewing it. The sexualy hyperactive role need not have been developed. I'm certain if these events were true, there would be some who behave as he did, but he could have simply told everyone what he had been doing with his last days and more time could have been devoted to the other characters. I LIKED THE FACT WE ARE NOT TOLD WHAT IS GOING TO KILL THE EARTH. It is not vital to the story and everyone is resigned to the fact they are going to die. There is no "Why me/us?", "Why is God doing this?" or "Surely there must be something we can do to save us..." Nope. There is no why. Only when, where, and with whom.

A refreshing look at human nature.

Author: mercycroft from Los Angeles
12 December 2001

This film is amazing. And disturbing. A refreshing look at what a few people do when the Earth has only 6 hours left of existence. This film is not about special effects or saving the planet or watching anxiety-ridden humans bring chaos to their remaining days, but shows how individual personalities deal with a fatalistic future. They don't do what you might expect, and in fact take the coming of the end of the world in stride, focusing on what uniquely means something to them. A brilliant idea and quite original, this film has been highly praised by critics and rightly so. Fabulous use of the song Guantanamero, as well. I'll never be able to listen to it again and not be moved to tears.

very funny, very smart, very edgy

Author: David Ray from Vancouver, Canada
10 December 2001

From lighting to performance, this the work of someone in command of their tools. The fact that this is a first film blows my mind. It is about what real people might do on the last night on earth - and real people are always more interesting.

Just a comment or two

Author: funksta from London, England
29 November 2001

I just want to make a couple of comments on Jay Harris' review

1) The reason why the world is coming to an end is not dealt with is because it's not particularly important to the story. We're not told why there's so much light, but there reasons why this could happen; a collision with a large comet or similar object could possibly have this effect. Again, that's not the point.

2) It's made pretty clear that in the film that's it's not New Year's Eve, but that some people try to deal with the event by pretending it is. In fact, Don McKellar's character has an argument with his parents over this and leaves their house.

3) Please, if you're going to make HEAVY USE OF CAPITALS at least get the facts right.

Emotionally Engaging

Author: Otis Lou Bohr from Canada
6 July 2001

The world will end at midnight (12:30 in Newfoundland).

Canadian joke. Well, this movie is nothing if not Canadian, from its opening scenes of restrained rioting to its unforgettable end. It's also surprisingly sentimental, but in a dry, humorous way that brings a lump to one's throat without turning one's stomach.