IMDb > Last Night (1998/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Last Night

Last Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

If you want "The Big Bang", rent something else.

Author: harebare-1 from Hamilton Ontario Canada
28 October 2005

An excellent example of understated Canadian film making! Don McKellar has taken a premise that has all to often been sensationalized and made into Hollywood - style big budget special effects showpieces and turned it around, to show the human aspects of the whole end - of - the - world scenario. No big special effects shots here, if you want that, rent "Armageddon" or "Deep Impact" This is a story of how a group of ordinary people struggle to come to terms with their impending doom. The entire film was shot in Toronto, Ontario and makes no attempts to conceal or change the location, and we see many parts of the city that, if you know Toronto, you recognise immediately.

The overall effect of the movie, in my opinion, is that it compels you to ask the question, "What would I do if we knew that The End was near?" I don't know for sure, but I probably would try to do exactly what Sandra Oh's character was trying to do, just go and be with the people that I care the most about.

If you like movies that make you think, give this one a look, it's a worthwhile little film.

A different take on the end of the world

Author: fenfool from New Jersey, USA
16 June 2003

There's a very good reason why it's still light at midnight...it involves the sun & the reason why it's known that the world will end at midnight. I'm actually quite surprised that some hadn't figured it out...while it's never exactly spelled out flatly in the movie, it's fairly easy to deduce what's going on.

This film is quite unique in its depiction of the end of the world. Instead of the usual portrayal of panic, mass-hysteria, denial and what-not, we have pretty much an acceptance of what is to come, and efforts to tie up loose ends and just a searching for the best way to meet our maker. One guy has a sexual 'to-do' list, including just about every type of partner & format imaginable. The main character, Patrick, just wants to be alone. His solitude is continually interrupted by Sandra, who is just frantically to get home to her husband, but getting stopped at every turn.

Last Night isn't really about the individual people's stories; rather it's about how the different people feel towards the situation they find themselves in. How are we expected to react to the end of the world? If we've known it to be coming for 6 months and there's nothing we can do about it, chances are the screaming has stopped and the acceptance has set in. If you are looking for explosions, special effects & Armageddon, watch Armageddon, this is a more cerebral film. No explosions or anything, but it can make you think, if you let it. Last Night has heavy rotation on IFC (Independent Film Channel), keep an eye out & draw your own conclusion.

something to think about

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
8 June 2003

I found the central premise of the film very intriguing. I think the movie did a good job of showing the range of reactions; I can't imagine going to work the day the world was going to end but seeing that it did make sense to me. I like a drama that takes an interesting situation and thinks intelligently about what the result would be, letting the characters act in a way that is believable and natural, and Last Night was such a film. It's a little too neat the way people's lives intertwined but that didn't bother me much.

Watching this movie makes you feel like the world really will end in a few hours.

This film is a must see.

Author: Ian Katz (iankatz@rogers.com) from Toronto Canada
3 March 2003

I was totally impressed with all the cast in this movie. I felt as if this was actually going to happen. I felt anxious, scared, wondered what would I if this actually were to happen. Sandra Oh did a magnificant job in this film. Don McKeller wrote, directed and played in a movie I am proud to say is "Made in Canada" there is nothing more I can say that hasnt already been written except this is a MUST SEE movie.

Canadians can make movies too!

Author: JudyLuft from Vancouver, BC
9 February 2003

It is so rare to see a Canadian film that is not all weird sex or documentary (no offense to Atom Egoyen), though there are elements of the former here. This film could have been American, but it's not and that's why there is no really happy ending, though it is a version of happy. It is brilliantly written and acted. But because I am not used to seeing Canadian films with any money behind them (with the exception of 'Men With Brooms' and anything Cronenberg does) I was amazed to see Toronto turned into empty streets and over-turned streetcars. McKeller caught me totally by surprise, a really great film. Added props to Sandra Oh, who is always so under-used and shows her abilities in a great role.

"It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)"

Author: room102 (plasmapool@gmail.com) from Israel (plasmapool.50webs.com)
25 January 2003

What would you do on the last night before the end of the world? "Last Night (1998)" is the story of several people, all connected in some sort to one another, and each having different plans for spending the last few hours as well as the last few seconds before it all ends.

The movie, made for $2 million, was nominated for 13 Genie awards and won 3. Don McKellar (Exotica, eXistenZ), who wrote, directed and stars, got many awards for this movie, including a Genie and a Cannes Film Festival award.

The cast consists of some of Canada's best talents, including director David Cronenberg (as Duncan, the gas company executive who ensures his clients to serve them up to the end), the beautiful Sarah Polley (Exotica, The Sweet Hereafter, eXistenZ, Go), Sandra Oh (The Red Violin), Genevieve Bujold (Dead Ringers), Jackie Burroughs (The Dead Zone), Arsinee Khanjian (Exotica, The Sweet Hereafter, and wife of director Atom Egoyan), Callum Keith Rennie (eXistenZ) and more.

A Bittersweet Story (just one tiny spoiler)

Author: studmufn from Rochester, New York
10 December 2002

This is one of the most thought provoking films I've ever watched. The way the world ends is superfluous, the fact that the world is about to end in just six hours is more important. The range of emotions of the film's characters (including the extras) and the diversity of how they choose to live the remainder of their six hours is the real backbone of this film. One thing I really liked was the fact that the characters are so unassuming and true to life and that their surroundings were so average. I'm sure that many viewers can identify with at least one character to someone they know. Every character in this film has their own special purpose right down to the voice from the gas company. Every time I watch this film I find the ending to be so mind numbing because I can't find the emotion that is the strongest within me. Outstanding film in all aspects.

As a side note: I've been to Toronto many, many times over the years (it helps when you live across the lake) and it was a real pleasure to see the average, every day locations of the city and not the sparkle and high paced life that Toronto is known for.

Why I liked it...

Author: skarlos from Puerto Rico, skarlos@the-iteam.com
9 November 2002

I will not get into the movie itself. Its just that this movie has my favorite ending ever in a movie. It has the most erotically charged kissed ever. Only Amelie surpasses it in the tears-in-a-comedy ratio, and while it is nowhere near close the former it is a good movie for a day in alone.

We really need more like this

Author: Michael J Lawrence from Columbus OH
18 September 2002

My favorite movies are these off-the-beaten-path gems that are so unique and whimsical that I sometimes wish Hollywood would just take a vacation.

Like most really good films, you have to work with this one and give it time to come together. Put people in a situation you and I will never see and watch them do things we will never do.

This film is about the nature of us all and explores the breadth and depth through the surreal circumstances of a few facing the unthinkable. As the undeniable truth of the imminent end of time presses down upon the populace, we watch some abandon the thin veneer of civility to indulge their true nature while others steadfastly adhere to their values. The latter is explored in more detail while the former provides a backdrop of sorts against which our characters struggle.

The idea of adhering to values for their own sake is explored at two levels. Briefly, the idea of vacuous ethical discipline is mocked. One of many statements in this movie is that ethics without purpose are no better than no ethics at all and trivialize the true value of what it means to be human. Thugs and stern traditionalists are shown to have more or less the same value in the ethical spectrum simply because they are self serving rather than genuinely committed to that which is worthy.

What the film spends most of it's time exploring is the struggle to maintain grace and faith in what we believe, that it is important because we want our lives to actually mean something. Even if we cease to exist, we hope to strike a chord in the cosmos that will linger after we are gone. Several characters seek their chord in sublime, mysterious and comical ways. It's so sadly funny and it hurts.

The final scene is one of the most deftly poetic statement of theme that I've seen in a very long time. The end is intensely moving and it's all about the indomitable truth behind the human spirit. We just don't know when to give up.

Emotional and Validating

Author: Reuben-10 from The Heart of it All!
28 August 2002

This review may contain a spoiler because it alludes to the last scene in the film.

Robert Frost's poem "Fire and Ice" should find itself in this film. One passionate, silent kiss to sum up the emotion of losing everything man has fooled himself into thinking he controls and deserves makes this film a powerful statement of what is truly sacred. Perhaps it is this premise fulfilled perfectly by this last scene that beautifully legitimizes Last Night. The picture is at once disturbing and depressing yet inspiring, even if it reaffirms that one's actions have no effect on society. What makes this work is the deeply personal effect that it has on the viewer; we can not really do more than one thing at a time, and whilst everyone tries to overstimulate himself to make up for the time lost wrapped in the rush of life, the main character Patrick is disturbingly calm. Should we not want to 'take advantage' of the last hours of everything by enjoying everything? No, according to Patrick, whose cognizant actions, and later on everyone's actions, show just how futile the individual is. On the same point, who needs the incomprehensible world when a bottle of wine, a good record and a kiss, albeit of death and eternity, will do? If the world ends, it will certainly be these minutiae in life that we will miss--the things only to be enjoyed by the self or with a companion.