IMDb > "Da Vinci's Inquest" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Da Vinci's Inquest"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Da Vinci's Inquest" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This series is EXCELLENT!

Author: sandyneck from United States
27 January 2008

The writing, videography, acting - this show is excellent. There are always several cases and situations that are on-going, along with the weekly crime-to-solve. They often make statements about how to deal with certain crimes that will never go away, like prostitution. They clearly use a lot of improv. The series is addicting but frustrating because it is only shown in the middle of the night. There has been such a void in quality television and there are so many reruns due to the writers strike, that I purchase the first two season of this show on DVD. But they haven't committed any others to DVD.

HOW do we get the local cable companies to offer us this show at reasonable times!??

Great on so many levels

Author: Mary from United States
13 March 2007

This is an excellent show, can't say enough about it. I'm from the States – to any Canadians out there - is all of Canadian TV this good?

I like the show's depiction of the Canadian people, meaning the characters have a "live and let live" philosophy. Life in the States is not like that at all. Everybody wants to tell you how to live your life here. So I'd also like to know if the characters in this show are an accurate depiction of Canadian attitudes?

Finally, unlike the majority of current US actors who look like they're wearing plastic masks, the actors in this show look natural. No fake breasts, freakishly plumped lips, etc. It's very refreshing to see real people on a TV show.

One of the finest television series, ever, in my opinion.

Author: giskardgray from Branford, CT, USA
20 June 2006

This is one of the finest television series, ever, in my opinion. It has a poignancy, passion and nearly poetic dialog that US television can't match.

The episode where Da Vinci, while working feverishly at his coroner's job, keeps avoiding repeated phone calls from his mother only to find that he has missed being present at his own stone-cutter father's passing and, then, mimics his old man by chiseling the letters of the gravestone, breaks one's heart.

Watching it on WFSB in Hartford, another recent episode has a beautiful and moving speech delivered by a mother, fearful that her son has murdered her abusive boyfriend, in which she both describes her dilemma as a single mother and a helpless victim of the circumstances of a hard life, plus offers herself up as a more likely culprit in a transparent effort to protect the boy.

The program even featured Matt Frewer, star of probably my favorite television program, ever, Max Headroom, as a guest villain in a two part series.

It doesn't get much better than this.

Now On American TV!

Author: reuven65-1 from Earth
11 June 2006

This critically acclaimed gem from Canada is great, no, excellent television viewing. If you're a fan of TV shows like Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue, or Homicide: Life on the Street you'll love this program.

Da Vinci's Inquest begins with a story based on a true headline about the serial murders of prostitutes. Since its debut, it has collect many awards which confirms what I'm telling you here.

Add to the amazing story lines an incredible cast. Nicholas Campbell, Ian Tracey and Donnelly Rhodes star together and make a perfect ensemble cast with other familiar faces.

Since this is a TV show, I do not want to write any spoilers so, if you're interested in the program, watch it.

Excellent show!

Author: nickmjones from United States
7 June 2006

I've been very fortunate to see many episodes of this show on WGN and I have to say that it handily bests all of the American police procedurals. We never really did good police procedurals in the US anyway; we're obsessed with happy endings and quips, when the reality of police work is grueling, unfair and exhausting. Shows like Law & Order and CSI succeed by their sheer numbers. The best one ever made in the U.S.--Homicide: Life on the Street--was unceremoniously canceled after a short but brilliant run, and constantly tried to underline the realities of detective work. Only it stands against Inquest.

Da Vinci's inquest, on the other hand, has such a great feel. The acting--especially that of the lead Nicholas Campbell--is top notch for this type of show, because it's so transparent. In other words the delivery and body language seem so authentic that you actually forget you're watching TV. I get so tired of the same puppet shows on Law & Order, the one dimensional characters who exist only to drive the plot to its tidy conclusion at the 22 minute mark.

This one is worth seeing, and I'm glad to know it's on DVD when it disappears (as it surely will like anything else that's actually good on U.S. TV.)

Watch this show!!

Author: weiler7751
30 September 2003

This is a perfect example of a really quality, exciting Canadian show. However, sadly, there are very few new episodes each year compared to American shows like Law and Order. I particularly like Ian Tracey as Mick, he is fabulous. If you can, its on showcase in Canada and its good. Watch it, trust me...

DaVinci's Inquest and Intelligence are Sublime Pleasures. Colin Cunningham sublimely great

Author: 1negevoli
1 July 2007

I glommed onto DaVinci's Inquest the first time it aired late (and I do mean late) on ABC on the weekends a while back. It is arguably (meaning an argument can be made in its favor) the best television series ever produced. So naturally I was hooked from the beginning by its cast, writing, directing, production values, etc. And I usually do not like "gritty." But "DaVI" is in a whole other orbit from American-produced television, and is even better than the numerous Brit series I have so adored over the years on PBS. "DaVinci's Inquest" is in a class by itself. The cast and the acting and the writing are nothing short of sublime.

So, given the excellence of the acting on "DaVinci's Inquest" across the board, it is another thing altogether to describe Colin Cunningham's "Brian Curtis" character arc. Cunningham raises the bar even on this perfect series. I have never, ever seen acting of this high a level on series TV anywhere or anytime and I have seen it all. You find yourself itching for Curtis to get caught, but at the same time you want the series and his character to continue on forever, because Cunningham's acting is so compelling.

When will Hollywood wake up? This guy is a money-maker. Not only is he a first-rate actor, but he is sexy as hell.

Now that I have seen "Intelligence" on DVD (August 2008) -- another Chris Haddock masterpiece, I have finally seen a TV show as good as or better than DaVinci. And it's Canadian too, where people can cuss and be crude and completely natural in their dramas. These shows on DVD are infinitely better for this reason. But "Intelligence," which stars Ian Tracey and includes many actors from DaVinci episodes in supporting roles only ran for a couple of seasons and I am having a hard time finding out why, since only the first season has been released on DVD.

I used to wonder why US TV didn't grab up Chris Haddock, but I was wrong. On retro-TV, I have often seen his name. So what this means is that he graduated to Canadian TV, where they program for adults. This means Haddock refuses to dilute his work to APPEASE the hypocrites/morons aka Christian fundamentalists who run the USA. We are the only top-tier country in the world that censors language and content on TV. And it sucks. Meanwhile we adults are deprived of the best on TV because of pious and self-righteous prudes with low IQs.

One of the best TV shows ever

Author: biloxipat1 from United States
5 November 2006

Along with HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREETS, Davinci's Inquest is the best show written for TV I have ever seen. It is real, gritty, and Davinci's sarcastic attitude is delightful, as is his continual amazement at the lack of depth people show. I only recently started watching it, as WGN is showing the reruns. Wish I had caught it when it first aired. The rest of the cast is superb also. I particularly like his secretary and his wife, the pathologist. I am getting an insight into Vancouver, into Canadian rules of justice; and I note the differences in our own Bill of Rights and the lengths to which a coroner may go in Canada. Apparently they have the same problems with drugs and prostitution as the States. I'm sure most of Vancouver is beautiful, but this show gets down to the real underbelly which is peopled with real, believable characters. The stories and people are haunting and stay with you...

Good Ensemble work, Good dialogue, Excellent Show

Author: (robbotnik2000@yahoo.com) from Anchorage, Alaska, USA
5 November 2006

This show is high on group work and realistic dialogue and action, much more realistically paced and acted than current Yankee faves such as CSI and NCIS. They use real words such as "forensics" and the lead characters manage to hold audience interest without cheap and predictable audience grabbers. Good writing and excellent outdoor photography. It is so good it is only going over the show afterwards that I appreciate it at this level. While I'm watching it I'm drawn into the slice of life it portrays.

I also suspect it is less popular among us Yanks than for Canadians because of the pacing and attention to detail. I'd be happy to be wrong, however.

Much Better TV then we get in the States

Author: Deran_Ludd from Seattle, United States
23 October 2006

I am lucky enough to get the CBC out of Vancouver down here in Seattle. Da Vinci's Inquest had much better writing generally then we get in American TV dramas. It may be just me, but I love how mostly each episode drops in to a story, the story develops, and with each ep we get more and more character backstory and ongoing story. And then the ep ends with a suggestion (or several possibilities) of how that eps plot might wrap up, but with out our being burdened, like American TV, with the simple-minded requirement that with each ep everything has to be completely wrapped up. And the acting is top notch. And of course Vancouver is a tremendous location, and I am so glad to see it used as Vancouver, and not just a as a prop to pretend to be some US city.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]