Da Vinci's Inquest (TV Series 1998–2006) Poster

(1998–2006)

35 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Brilliant police procedural (some spoilers)
thesnowleopard2 November 2004
As Da Vinci's Inquest barnstorms through its seventh season, it just keeps getting better and more complex. It was already high quality in season one. Now, it's very likely the best TV show out there right now. The writing, acting and characterisation are brilliant, growing increasingly naturalistic over the years. Usually, you can see in a show where the actors are propping up bad writing, and vice versa. Here, the two are practically seamless. And the direction has only got better over the years, as fancy, distracting camera angles and cues have made way for plainer, darker, noirish cinematography. Even the letterbox format post-season three is remarkably effective.

DVI isn't as overtly violent or graphic as U.S. police procedurals. It doesn't do on screen reconstructions like CSI. Since season one, there's been little or no on screen sex. Yet, the world DVI portrays is harsher than any U.S. TV show (or possibly even a Brit TV show) would allow, while remaining one of the most compassionate entries in the genre. If there's a dead body in the story, you're going to see a dead body. If a hooker or a rent boy is working the streets, you'll see that, too. But you won't see it hyped, glamorized or otherwise jazzed up for Joe Q. Public. What you see is what you get.

Story lines can go on for years, meandering on and offscreen. Characters drink a whole lot of coffee in this show. Cases may or may not get solved, at about the same rate as in real life. Which is to say, not all that often. This could get frustrating, if DVI were not such a character-oriented show. One of the most compelling story lines on at the moment, for example, shows one homicide detective's long, dark night of the soul as he battles PTSD and psychotic depression. Another shows, with zero sentimentality, a young junkie hooker with more brass than brains playing two cops against each other as one tries to take the other one down for murder and corruption. Still another began last season with the title character, Dominic Da Vinci, running for police chief. This season, it's morphing into a 21st century version of a '70s dystopic conspiracy thriller, as Da Vinci finds himself and his friends increasingly harried by shadowy enemies.

You find yourself rooting for the good guys even though they're usually more screwed up than the bad guys. Da Vinci, himself, is a not-so-recovering alcoholic Vancouver city coroner with a big mouth. Nick Campbell inhabits the role so well that he effortlessly charms the audience into Da Vinci's manic daily routine. It's not hard to see why Da Vinci can be such a git and a player at times, yet have so many friends. He has some truly hilarious interactions with his secretary, Helen (the wonderful Sarah Strange), and colleagues/opponents like Zack, the irascible traffic cop, and Carmine, the uniformed officer who repeats everything everybody else says. In recent interviews, Campbell has hinted that Da Vinci may be heading for the mayor's office. That should be a fun ride.

I'm not normally into political thrillers, but I'll buy that ticket. Second-billed Ian Tracey plays Da Vinci's main police ally, Mick Leary. Leary, a smart, quiet, ultra-competent homicide detective with a temper like Mt. St. Helens and a head full of hallucinogenic Catholic guilt, redefines the term "loose cannon". Ever since a police-shooting-gone-bad nearly three seasons ago, Leary hears voices and sees dead people on the streets of Vancouver. Yet this guy still carries a badge and a gun. It's anybody's guess what he'll do next or what his superiors will do once they twig to his problems. His solution was to give away his possessions and go live on the beach in his truck. Tracey plays Leary deadpan funny, but with a subtle wrongness these days that could explode into violence at the worst possible moment. If he doesn't get a Gemini for this storyline, it'll be a sin.

Veteran Donnely Rhodes plays Leary's ex-partner, Leo Shannon, a cop who's "seen it all and done most of it". Shannon is being pushed into early retirement while trying to care for his Alzheimer's-suffering wife. He's also as big a player as Da Vinci, down in the blue trenches. Throwing in his vote for Da Vinci last season might have been a mistake he'll live to regret.

The superlative Venus Terzo plays Angela Kosmo, Leary's obsessive, maverick current partner, who once spent three years solving, mostly by herself, a fictional parallel to the real-life mystery of Vancouver's missing prostitutes. A cool-headed lioness who hunts where angels fear to tread, Kosmo's been doggedly tracking Brian Curtis (Colin Cunningham), a dirty Vice cop with a nasty habit of offing his informants, for the past two years. Caught between them is amoral teenage hooker, Sue, played with no wrong notes at all by Emily Perkins from Ginger Snaps. Perkins and Cunningham are both great in their roles, but they do the shallowness of their characters almost too well. It's a relief to get back to the depths of the good guys, screwed up as they are.

And the good guys are easy enough to spot. They have compassion, loyalty and courage. That's probably the best thing about this show. The good guys are as unpredictable as the bad guys, and probably more flawed. But even when it all gets ugly, they keep throwing themselves into the fray. They never stop trying to do the right thing, even when they don't have a clue what that is.

By God, it's a crusade. Maybe that's why DVI is such a great story.

It's a hero's journey for the 21st century. In this dirty world, that's no bad thing.
23 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best One-Hour Dramatic Show On Television. Period.
Doghouse-67 October 2005
DA VINCI'S INQUEST may well be the very best 1-hour television drama ever. If it isn't, there are no more than a handful - from whatever country or era - that can even come close.

It's new to American television (at least as far as I know), and I've only seen a dozen or so episodes, but their promos don't lie: one episode and I was hooked. The writing, the acting; you almost forget that what you're watching is, well, written and acted! 'Verisimilitude' is one of those words one doesn't come across much these days, but it's appropriate to describe this show. The characters are complex, their interactions so 'real life,' that watching them almost gives a feeling of eavesdropping.

Also, as in real life, there is not always a resolution. Some episodes end with matters left hanging and loose ends untied. Life doesn't always supply us with all the why's and wherefore's; neither does DA VINCI'S. This is a show that does not treat the viewer like an idiot. Perhaps a lot of Canadian TV is like that, but it's a novelty down here.

Nicholas Campbell, as Vancouver coroner Dominic Da Vinci, is the on-screen engine that powers this show. The acting of all of the series' regulars - Ian Tracey, Donnelly Rhodes, Sue Mathew, Sarah Strange and others - is of a uniformly high order, but each is even better when playing a scene with Campbell, whose presence, style and energy make everything just crackle with authenticity (oh, hell, I don't know; does authenticity crackle? If it doesn't, it should). If you've been a regular viewer of U.S. shows such as "X-Files" and the "Stargate's" - which were/are produced in Canada - you'll see a number of familiar faces.

Be warned: this show could spoil you for all American television drama. My viewing companion and I watched an episode of "Law & Order" - which we enjoy - immediately after viewing a DA VINCI; big mistake. Anything else is going to suffer by comparison. But here's some good news: if you jump in now, you've got seven seasons worth of episodes to see. That should tide you over for a while, and you'll want to catch each one.
51 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great refreshing drama
gkoda20 February 2006
I have been a fan of all the CSI shows for awhile, but only recently discovered DaVinci's Inquest. After watching all the American shows in which the CSI teams trade cutesy one-liners while solving impossible crimes, it is really refreshing to see actors portray real people. DaVinci and his entire cast render a convincing picture of dedicated crime fighters and crime solvers who sometimes have to admit that they have no idea what's happening. It's also refreshing to see a cast of people who look like real people. While some of the girls are drop-dead gorgeous, most of the cast have a realistic appearance and even the gorgeous ones manage performances that make them seem genuine and not just some plastic-looking starlet types who walk and move like catalog models. DaVinci is outstanding ,and Leo is a great asset to the cast. I am completely hooked on this show, and I wish I could do something to assure that it will continue. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to let someone know how much I like it.
21 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great TV series!
rickrudge21 September 2005
I am so happy to start seeing "The Da Vinci Inquest" here in the United States. WGN has started broadcasting episodes (sometimes three or four a day). I couldn't be happier. This series is so fresh and new compared to what else is out there. If you get a chance, please watch a couple of episodes.

I get so tired of the US made TV shows, like "Law & Order" or the various, tired "CSI" shows. You can usually solve the mystery a quarter into the program. "DVI" shows compelling, lovable characters digging up clues and evidence. You easily like them and are rooting for their success.

Filmed in Vancouver, BC (one of the most beautiful cities in this continent) the program is very noire-like. It doesn't necessarily glorify the city. Junkies look pretty lousy on this show and how the police treat them is a lot different than what you see in US shows (even like in Cops).

I recommend to all of my fellow US viewers, to give this show a try. You will love it.
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the CBC's Best
blackarachnia222 July 2005
I have to admit the CBC has done it again. I've become such a fan of this show that I find myself watching it as one of my guilty little pleasures. I haven't seen Donlley Roahdes in anything like this since Danger Bay so you can imagine my excitement when I found out that he has a role in this. I still think that he's one of the best Canadian supporting actors out there. The whole cast of this show is extremely talented and brings forth a new face of forensic science. Congratulations to everyone who works on this show. I really appreciate the hard work that you guys put into each and every episode. Everyone break a leg and keep up the good work.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exceptional...
ilias-131 August 2004
I had heard about this series through friends who worked on set, but actually watched my first couple episodes in Honduras (go figure). I actually live and work in the downtown east side of Vancouver, where most of the series takes place. The imagery, and story lines, are quite true to the neighborhood. Most of the TV series coming out of Vancouver, use the backdrop and call it something else, often side stepping a lot of the uniqueness of the city in an effort to mask the location. DVI actually embrace Vancouver's look as well as problems, which makes thing leagues more genuine.

I LOVE the feel of the show, it's built on longterm story, and the evolution of characters over seasons instead of just episodes. The drama isn't overly heated, it's kept in range enough so to get into an almost documentary feel. Which actually has a better impact as it is taken for reality, more than say... Third Watch, or other "shaky-cam cop shows" that can get over the top dramatic, reminding you that these are actors, on a big budget set.

Canadian TV has always been pretty solid on drama and story, as there isn't always a budget big enough to blow up buildings, cars, or anything else for that matter. They are heavily supported by Canadian viewers. I will watch things sometimes just because they are Canadian, and am often quite surprised. And by Canadian, I mean real Canadian, not American companies, heading north in the interest in saving money.

All in all great show, great stories, great characters, in a great city. And Even though most of the focus is on the more seedy of areas of Vancouver, if you've ever lived there, you'll know there a certain charm to that area. Bottom line, take some time, and enjoy your first episode, It will go from there I'm sure.
36 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the best television series ever made
mtnloverxtreme10 June 2004
for you Americans who don't have access to the show, my heart goes out to you. to my fellow Canadians, we truly have been blessed.

this show has world class actors, magnificent story lines and a cool gritty look. i am no fan of Canadian made television. hockey and davinci are the only two shows i watch on CBC. but when a friend told me about this and she ranted like a crazed lunatic about this Vancouver shot show, i figured i would check it out. THANK YOU LAURIE!

i cant say enough about this show. along with 'deadwood', 'sopranos', news, hockey, i always try and be home for davinci. find a way to watch this show if you can. you will not be disappointed.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gripping, Gritty and Great
malton8 August 1999
The second season of DaVinci's will be starting soon (probably in October), and I would suggest to anyone who is not familiar with the show to give it a try. The acting, for starters, is first-class. The show definitely draws its grittiness from American series like Homicide.. etc. but these guys also put a human & humorous face to the characters that make them convincing beyond anything on television today. The writing is first class, often drawing its inspiration from recent criminal cases in Canada. There is nothing contrived about this program. Yes, it is gritty, but not overly so. I would simply call it, exceedingly realistic. I cannot recommend this program highly enough. You will be pleasantly surprised to learn that Canada can now produce "made in Canada" series and draw from all the good production tricks of the U.S. industry, but also put a truly Canadian face back onto the television.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a good show
tovachanah12 January 2001
i am becoming a fan of canadian tv. davinci's inquest is a good example of good tv. unlike american tv, which is more plot driven, canadian tv is more character driven. this show, shot in vancouver, is a good crime show. no violence but definate tension. and the good guys don't always win - more like real life. the great thing about this show is that out of the 3 stories in the episode i saw, only 1 was resolved. we see his frustration at not bieng able to resolve his workload and the toll it takes on his personal/emotional bieng. hopefully in future episodes we will see the resolution or at least see davinci working towards resolution as he takes on more work. coroners and police don't just work on one case. they work on several cases at once with new ones adding on.

anyone who is able to catch canadian tv should catch this show. it makes american tv fare pale in comparison
31 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a realistic look at the many layers of life, death, and community in Vancouver, Canada--from the streets up
caseyjwolf4 January 2005
not to be confused with the book, The DaVinci Code.

this is an amazing television series and i feel privileged to get to see it. i wish everyone who likes dramatic series had the chance to see it because it is far and away the best i have ever seen, though you have to watch it for awhile before the full magic works itself on you.

DVI is in a class all by itself. it evolves slowly and intelligently in many ways over many episodes. the characters seem so much more real, with their peculiarities and particular views on the world which weave a feeling of humaness and familiarity. even walk-on parts have more depth than is normal.

a couple of plots at least are usually being pursued at the same time, and where many things do eventually wrap up, other don't. somethings you just never know, some are implied, some just lead you to think. issues that affect the poor and disenfranchised in the city come up on a regular basis, and prostitutes look more like street people than glamour girls, have actual personalities, live lives you care about. i could go on and on.

i just love this show, and it is great to have such a quality series made in and made about (no pretending to be Kansas or l.a. here) a city in Canada. even the cafés are real ones. a neat tidbit is that the series is based on the former city coroner, Larry Campbell, who is now Vancouver's mayor. kinda cool.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This series is EXCELLENT!
sandyneck27 January 2008
The writing, videography, acting - this show is excellent. There are always several cases and situations that are on-going, along with the weekly crime-to-solve. They often make statements about how to deal with certain crimes that will never go away, like prostitution. They clearly use a lot of improv. The series is addicting but frustrating because it is only shown in the middle of the night. There has been such a void in quality television and there are so many reruns due to the writers strike, that I purchase the first two season of this show on DVD. But they haven't committed any others to DVD.

HOW do we get the local cable companies to offer us this show at reasonable times!??
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the finest television series, ever, in my opinion.
giskardgray20 June 2006
This is one of the finest television series, ever, in my opinion. It has a poignancy, passion and nearly poetic dialog that US television can't match.

The episode where Da Vinci, while working feverishly at his coroner's job, keeps avoiding repeated phone calls from his mother only to find that he has missed being present at his own stone-cutter father's passing and, then, mimics his old man by chiseling the letters of the gravestone, breaks one's heart.

Watching it on WFSB in Hartford, another recent episode has a beautiful and moving speech delivered by a mother, fearful that her son has murdered her abusive boyfriend, in which she both describes her dilemma as a single mother and a helpless victim of the circumstances of a hard life, plus offers herself up as a more likely culprit in a transparent effort to protect the boy.

The program even featured Matt Frewer, star of probably my favorite television program, ever, Max Headroom, as a guest villain in a two part series.

It doesn't get much better than this.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great on so many levels
Mary13 March 2007
This is an excellent show, can't say enough about it. I'm from the States – to any Canadians out there - is all of Canadian TV this good?

I like the show's depiction of the Canadian people, meaning the characters have a "live and let live" philosophy. Life in the States is not like that at all. Everybody wants to tell you how to live your life here. So I'd also like to know if the characters in this show are an accurate depiction of Canadian attitudes?

Finally, unlike the majority of current US actors who look like they're wearing plastic masks, the actors in this show look natural. No fake breasts, freakishly plumped lips, etc. It's very refreshing to see real people on a TV show.
Now On American TV!
reuven65-111 June 2006
This critically acclaimed gem from Canada is great, no, excellent television viewing. If you're a fan of TV shows like Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue, or Homicide: Life on the Street you'll love this program.

Da Vinci's Inquest begins with a story based on a true headline about the serial murders of prostitutes. Since its debut, it has collect many awards which confirms what I'm telling you here.

Add to the amazing story lines an incredible cast. Nicholas Campbell, Ian Tracey and Donnelly Rhodes star together and make a perfect ensemble cast with other familiar faces.

Since this is a TV show, I do not want to write any spoilers so, if you're interested in the program, watch it.
Excellent show!
nickmjones7 June 2006
I've been very fortunate to see many episodes of this show on WGN and I have to say that it handily bests all of the American police procedurals. We never really did good police procedurals in the US anyway; we're obsessed with happy endings and quips, when the reality of police work is grueling, unfair and exhausting. Shows like Law & Order and CSI succeed by their sheer numbers. The best one ever made in the U.S.--Homicide: Life on the Street--was unceremoniously canceled after a short but brilliant run, and constantly tried to underline the realities of detective work. Only it stands against Inquest.

Da Vinci's inquest, on the other hand, has such a great feel. The acting--especially that of the lead Nicholas Campbell--is top notch for this type of show, because it's so transparent. In other words the delivery and body language seem so authentic that you actually forget you're watching TV. I get so tired of the same puppet shows on Law & Order, the one dimensional characters who exist only to drive the plot to its tidy conclusion at the 22 minute mark.

This one is worth seeing, and I'm glad to know it's on DVD when it disappears (as it surely will like anything else that's actually good on U.S. TV.)
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
DaVinci's Inquest and Intelligence are Sublime Pleasures. Colin Cunningham sublimely great
1negevoli1 July 2007
I glommed onto DaVinci's Inquest the first time it aired late (and I do mean late) on ABC on the weekends a while back. It is arguably (meaning an argument can be made in its favor) the best television series ever produced. So naturally I was hooked from the beginning by its cast, writing, directing, production values, etc. And I usually do not like "gritty." But "DaVI" is in a whole other orbit from American-produced television, and is even better than the numerous Brit series I have so adored over the years on PBS. "DaVinci's Inquest" is in a class by itself. The cast and the acting and the writing are nothing short of sublime.

So, given the excellence of the acting on "DaVinci's Inquest" across the board, it is another thing altogether to describe Colin Cunningham's "Brian Curtis" character arc. Cunningham raises the bar even on this perfect series. I have never, ever seen acting of this high a level on series TV anywhere or anytime and I have seen it all. You find yourself itching for Curtis to get caught, but at the same time you want the series and his character to continue on forever, because Cunningham's acting is so compelling.

When will Hollywood wake up? This guy is a money-maker. Not only is he a first-rate actor, but he is sexy as hell.

Now that I have seen "Intelligence" on DVD (August 2008) -- another Chris Haddock masterpiece, I have finally seen a TV show as good as or better than DaVinci. And it's Canadian too, where people can cuss and be crude and completely natural in their dramas. These shows on DVD are infinitely better for this reason. But "Intelligence," which stars Ian Tracey and includes many actors from DaVinci episodes in supporting roles only ran for a couple of seasons and I am having a hard time finding out why, since only the first season has been released on DVD.

I used to wonder why US TV didn't grab up Chris Haddock, but I was wrong. On retro-TV, I have often seen his name. So what this means is that he graduated to Canadian TV, where they program for adults. This means Haddock refuses to dilute his work to APPEASE the hypocrites/morons aka Christian fundamentalists who run the USA. We are the only top-tier country in the world that censors language and content on TV. And it sucks. Meanwhile we adults are deprived of the best on TV because of pious and self-righteous prudes with low IQs.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best TV shows ever
biloxipat15 November 2006
Along with HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREETS, Davinci's Inquest is the best show written for TV I have ever seen. It is real, gritty, and Davinci's sarcastic attitude is delightful, as is his continual amazement at the lack of depth people show. I only recently started watching it, as WGN is showing the reruns. Wish I had caught it when it first aired. The rest of the cast is superb also. I particularly like his secretary and his wife, the pathologist. I am getting an insight into Vancouver, into Canadian rules of justice; and I note the differences in our own Bill of Rights and the lengths to which a coroner may go in Canada. Apparently they have the same problems with drugs and prostitution as the States. I'm sure most of Vancouver is beautiful, but this show gets down to the real underbelly which is peopled with real, believable characters. The stories and people are haunting and stay with you...
Good Ensemble work, Good dialogue, Excellent Show
robbotnik20005 November 2006
This show is high on group work and realistic dialogue and action, much more realistically paced and acted than current Yankee faves such as CSI and NCIS. They use real words such as "forensics" and the lead characters manage to hold audience interest without cheap and predictable audience grabbers. Good writing and excellent outdoor photography. It is so good it is only going over the show afterwards that I appreciate it at this level. While I'm watching it I'm drawn into the slice of life it portrays.

I also suspect it is less popular among us Yanks than for Canadians because of the pacing and attention to detail. I'd be happy to be wrong, however.
Much Better TV then we get in the States
Deran_Ludd23 October 2006
I am lucky enough to get the CBC out of Vancouver down here in Seattle. Da Vinci's Inquest had much better writing generally then we get in American TV dramas. It may be just me, but I love how mostly each episode drops in to a story, the story develops, and with each ep we get more and more character backstory and ongoing story. And then the ep ends with a suggestion (or several possibilities) of how that eps plot might wrap up, but with out our being burdened, like American TV, with the simple-minded requirement that with each ep everything has to be completely wrapped up. And the acting is top notch. And of course Vancouver is a tremendous location, and I am so glad to see it used as Vancouver, and not just a as a prop to pretend to be some US city.
Da Vinci's Inquest
amamistyed22 July 2006
I began watching this show last year and I'm hooked. The more I watch the more I love it. These characters are so real and honest and hilarious. The dialog is absolutely fantastic and musical and everyone in this cast is in perfect harmony. Each actor has created the most believable character and caused me to care deeply for each one...from Da Vinci (Nicholas Campbell) himself to his awesome secretary (Sara Strange) to the sweet little drug addict whore (Emily Perkins) on the street...and all the others...I love them all and look forward to their very excellent and, as far as I can see, flawless performances. You really ought to watch it then, don't you think?
a great Canadian drama
townleyhall9 February 2005
This is by far, one of the best dramas on television. It has excellent writing, terrific stories and intriguing characters. I have been watching this show since it was first aired on CBC and it keeps getting better. It has won many awards in Canada and is well deserved. If you get a chance, you will not be wasting your time viewing this program and particular if you live in the US or England. You have to watch a few shows to get into the story and characters - if you do you will be well rewarded. My only regret is that it is only on for a very short season. Just finished the 2004 - 2005 season and can't wait to continue on with the story late next fall.
Watch this show!!
weiler775130 September 2003
This is a perfect example of a really quality, exciting Canadian show. However, sadly, there are very few new episodes each year compared to American shows like Law and Order. I particularly like Ian Tracey as Mick, he is fabulous. If you can, its on showcase in Canada and its good. Watch it, trust me...
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Superior Crime Drama
Dapper-Duf13 July 2008
Da Vinci's Inquest is the finest crime drama on television, where there is an abundance of crime dramas. If you enjoy shows like "Law and Order" and "NYPD Blue" it will not take you long to become hooked on this one. The only negative thing to say about "Da Vinci" is this: Once you get hooked on it, every other crime drama will seem inferior.

Nicholas Campbell plays the title character Dominic Da Vinci, a Vancouver Coroner, and the series revolves around him and the cases he has to deal with. The premise is very simple, but the show has so much to offer.

Every episode is interesting, and real. It deals with important issues such as prostitution and drug abuse, and the writers don't hold anything back. All the characters are interesting and likable, and the actors who play these characters do an outstanding job - especially Nicholas Campbell. Campbell is brilliant as Da Vinci. The Dominic Da Vinci character can be a real jerk at times, yet he is very likable, probably more than any other character.

I have recently noticed that this show is starting to play in other countries and I do believe that it will do well outside of Canada. The stories are universal; drugs and prostitution are problems within just about every country. Aside from the fact that show makes reference to Canadian cities (they always mention a lot of towns/cities in British Columbia, and places like Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Regina) viewers in other countries don't necessarily need to know that the show is Canadian because they can relate the story lines to issues present in their own country.

Truly, a superior crime drama.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best of I'ts kind.
Leland16 August 2006
I do not think I've missed seeing more than a few episodes and the one's I've seen are, over all, very good to excellent. This is in casting, editing, directing, acting, character development et all!

This was my introduction to Nicolas Campbell and I was very impressed with his work.

I was delighted to catch Stuart Margolins performance as a disgruntled business partner who holds a body hostage, but was not surprised to see his other contributions to the series. He is a particular favorite of mine and his Evelyn 'Angel' Martin is my all-time memorable character. To this day I cannot think about his FBI Rat out of Rocky without rolling on the floor.

I look forward to finally seeing the Davinci City Hall series on US television but I can't see a man who is so obviously hooked on spiritual currency lasting more than one term as Mayor.

Leland
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still great after all these years; it stands the test of time !
calgarywino27 May 2013
This show is being rebroadcast on Bravo every morning at 8 am and I am hooked again ! I wish to dip my oar in the water and to reminisce, compliment and commiserate the show and the fact that it is gone, but, I guess all dogs have their day and time moves on.

Shows like this that rely on intelligent scripts driven by characters that are superbly acted and seem like real people warts 'n all. This cast was a dream cast, not afraid to use facial expressions, make wrinkles, use vocal inflections and nuances to help me feel involved. In fact all of Da Vinci's characters and situations feel real and less like I am observing a specimen in a glass bottle or a thinly veneered facade.

The scripts were captivating and made me yearn for the next episode and the threads that ran through the series episodes added to rather than detracted from this series.

I am not a fan of jingoism but love the quality of shows like the Da Vinci's incarnations, Intelligence, Flashpoint and others that highlight the 'Canadian way'. We revel in the concept that force does not make right and may not be necessary nor best way to achieve things and that intellect versus thoughtless and impulsive action is the best course of 'action'. Our writers seem to be able to captivate, intrigue and respect the intelligence of viewers and aim UP to them, making us reach for and think about what we are watching. I hate having things handed to me on a platter and appreciate writers who treat me as an adult viewer, not as someone with a 14 year old mentality.

Let's hope that sponsors and politicians will recognize and support the quality of the craftsmanship here before it slips away. Why must we wait for the recognition of other countries before we see the quality of our arts ? If I was allowed to say something to the Canadian script writers I would like to say "Good job, thank you" and "You have my attention, please write well so that you can keep it." and "If you do, I will not let you down either."
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this