IMDb > Cold Hearts (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cold Hearts

Cold Hearts More at IMDbPro »

An adolescent vampire fantasy flick, that's nowhere near as fun as it should be.

Author: TheVid from Colorado Springs
21 November 2002

This low-budget indie film about grungy, vampire youths haunting the beachfront (sound familiar?) could have been smart and amusing, but instead comes off like a fanged version of some WB-style TV show. It misses some clever opportunities to be both stylishly violent and sexy, and instead relies on long conversations between a brooding female vampire (who consistently delivers monotonous sad stories to everyone she meets), and a frat boy with a dufus persona and a dubious moral code. Technically competent but utterly adolescent.

A mixed bag.

Author: windupatheist from Michigan, USA
27 January 2002

I'm not sure what I think of this movie. It's definitely low-budget, but I did find myself watching the whole thing without even meaning to. The writing and dialogue were good, and the movie had a very particular atmosphere to it. Part of that atmosphere is lifted from The Lost Boys, which this pays homage to, but part of it was... something else. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the fact that these vampires felt like real people. They seemed like people you might know, only with some unusual problems.

The acting was pretty decent. It took me a while to figure out that the suicidal anorexic vampire was actually the Pink Ranger from that terrible old Power Rangers show. The lead, Marisa Ryan, did a pretty good job in particular. The only real weak spot was the guy who played Seth. It wasn't so much bad acting on his part as it was a matter of miscasting. He just had way too much boy-next-door "aw shucks" goofyness to him.

The only really bad part of this movie was the special effects. I guessed what Seth was early on, and the whole time I was waiting for him to dramatically reveal himself in a cool sort of way. When it finally happened, it looked so bad I almost fell out of my chair. Totally killed the moment.

Anyway, not a bad flick if you're looking for an inexpensive little horror movie with some decent characters.

Okay

Author: AmeliaF321 from United States
23 October 2005

I thought this movie was okay. It was no Lost Boys, no matter how hard it tried to be. There was a kind of Lost Boys plot to it, but it was no where near as good.

I found the special effects good, especially at the end, where the two main guys do battle, but the make-up effects could've been better on the werewolf.

The acting was pretty good, for people I had never really heard of except for Christian Campbell.

All in all I would give this movie a 5 on the scales, because they did an okay job and it wasn't completely awful. This is one of those movies where you'd have to watch and see what you think.

Cold Hearts a wild Vampire Movie

Author: Terryfan from United States
29 October 2010

I like to state that Cold Hearts is my favorite Vampire movie and I'm glad to have it on DVD.

I never heard of this movie then one day I was doing a little research on vampire movies and I came across Cold Hearts. Then I went to this website and find out more about it.

This was all back in 2003 when I first discover this movie but then in 2005 I finally got to see Cold Hearts when I rented it from Netflix and I am now glad to say it is my favorite movies based on Vampires.

I brought Cold Hearts on DVD back in 2009 and I am glad to have it. The movie is one of my favorite dvds in my collection.

The movie story is Based in a quiet town New Jersey where a secret is hold in their town. Vampires live in their town.

Viktoria (Marisa Ryan) a young woman who grew up with a huge thing about Vampires and when she was asked to join she was more then willing to become a Vampire. Since then she tried to only survive on stealing blood from local hospitals and rarely kills.

Her two best friends are the only two she trust more then anyone else. Alicia (Amy Jo Johnson) is a vampire with a so called eating disorder and is not wanting to have any part of killing. Darius (Jon Huertas) is their human friend and the only one they trust.

However their main enemy is a Vampire gang lead by Charles (Christopher Wiehl) he is a vampire that kills without thinking twice and his gang is very dangerous.

Things only get more trouble when a man named Seth (Robert Floyd)comes to town he gets in the middle of their trouble and then becomes a target for Charles to destroy.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy the story because it just one of those stories that brings you in. The Characters are very well thought of with Charles being the main villain. Viktoria and Alicia were very good characters in the movie and shows how good friends they were in the movie.

The music is very chilling with the music mixing from classical to rock music very good mix.

The Cast was very good for the roles of the main characters of the movie. The Actors really put passion into their characters which is a rare thing in movies.

Cold Hearts also won 1999 Atlantic City Film Festival Best Picture Award and it was Robert A.Maciantonio first movie as a Director and he really hit a home run with Cold Hearts.

Overall Cold Hearts is a great movie to watch and if you are a vampire movie fan and looking for one to get for your collection then Cold Hearts is just the movie for you.

It may have been a small low budget movie but it is a sure winner for a great movie.

I give Cold Hearts a Perfect 10 out of 10 Thank you for reading my review and take care

Saved by the Bell in the Genre of "Horror"

Author: Egg-16 from Pennsylvania
10 September 1999

I saw this film at Temple University. I cannot imaging that anyone will ever see this film in a theater (projected on film). The acting is similar to Saved By The Bell (The TV Show). The plot is simple and unimaginative. The sound recordist likes the sound of wind and the DP needs a light meter. Vampires, Vampires, Vampires.

Don't waste your money.

Vampire Fun

Author: Richard Wilkins III from Sunnydale, Ca
8 August 2001

After searching for this movie, I was more than happy to finally see it

on cable. It's not bad. Without recapping the story again, I can tell

you that I liked this spin on the vampire genre. There was a real Gen-X

type of love story in there. I did think, however, that it became very

long winded towards the end. And it's not that the writing is bad,

there is just a lot of it. But just when I found my eyes starting to

droop the action kicked in. Marisa Ryan does a fine job as the hardened

vampire with motherly notions. I thought that Christopher Wiehl and Amy

Jo Johnson really stuck out. Wiehl, as "Charles", was everything you

like in a bad guy: handsome, charming, manipulative and down right evil.

Johnson, as "Alicia", was plain cute. She lit the screen up every time

she was on, even when she was melting. Overall, I liked the movie. And

while Masciantonio's writing could have been cut down, I was impressed

by the direction. *

Great Movie

Author: pig_71 from Cowpens, SC
4 October 2002

This is a really good movie. It was well written and directed, and for it's budget shot extremely well. The only downside to this movie is the acting is sometimes a little flat but not bad. The Special FX were decent except don't get this movie expeting a Gorefest. It is more of a character driven movie with less emphasis on the special FX, which by the way, Tom Savini consulted on. I honestly could have done without the Digital eye Fx but, oh well.

And on one last note, this movie does not rip off Lost Boys. It has a similar setting and storyline and some inside jokes about the LOST BOYS, but it is not a rip-off. ***1/2 out of *****

Holds up after many viewings

Author: rob_h from Dover, NH
20 January 2003

Maybe I like WB-style shows. This film holds up very well, particularly for the dramatic storyline (which I thought rang very true) and the dynamite performances by Ryan, Johnson, and Floyd. Jon Huertas was brilliant as the gay nonvampire friend--too bad that they had to delete some of his scenes. Beautiful music. A real gem which I have seen many, many times and never tire of.

Rip Off of "The Lost Boys"

Author: gtiboy from England
17 February 2002

I bought this movie in a two for £10 deal along with Fever Lake. Im a big fan of "The Lost Boys" and as there were mentions of this being a similar movie i thought id give it a go. What can i say, a shameless rip off of "The Lost Boys". And whats with the werewolf!!

Complete and utter rubbish

Author: RBendle from Wales, UK
18 April 2001

I was bought this film for only £4 and even then I feel robbed. I have watched some poor films but this was quite one of the worst. I have never watched a film about depressed vampires before in my life was this some kind of spin to the old horror movie genre. It only goes to show that for every interview with the vampire there must be at least ten or so of these movies in creation. The best bit of this film was quite probably the end credits.