IMDb > Screwed (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Hilarious!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
1 April 2001

Just like Norm McDonald's last comedy, don't expect anything complex or high-brow. But expect tons of laughs! I was laughing from beginning to end! And Norm is assisted by Dave Chapelle, another one who's talented at his craft. There's no artistic merit to thoroughly discuss. All I have to say is it was funny, and I don't want to give away why it was funny. Just go see it! You won't get "screwed" like some smart-alecky people claim.

Amazingly funny!

Author: Phil Nolan from United States
17 March 2002

I just finished watching this movie and felt I should write a comment about it, which I've never done before. For much of this movie I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. Once or twice I noticed something that didn't makes sense, like in one scene the main characters steal a police car and start it without having keys. But a few seconds later they would do something so funny I just forgot all about it. I would recommend this farce to any of my friends, in fact I'm going to go do that right now.

hardly as rotten as I expected--in fact, not bad at all

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
9 June 2005

Norm MacDonald works for a very rich and nasty lady (Elaine Stritch). After putting up with tons of abuse from her, he decided to get revenge by kidnapping her horrid dog and holding it hostage. His friend (Dave Chappelle) lends him a hand and soon are the subject of a nationwide manhunt! Will the guys get away with it or will they go to prison and become somebody's boy toys?

The reviews for this movie were SAVAGE. I've seen wars get better reviews! The attacks were strong and brutal. That's probably why I am so charitable in my review. It just didn't seem like a bad film to me. Great?! No way, but there were enough moments to keep my interest and merit a score of 6. Sometimes I wonder if I am crazy (a possibility) or the movie reviewers are just lemmings who follow each other's leads.

Elaine Stritch was incredibly mean and hateful, as her role demanded and there were some other supporting actors who I really liked as well, but the one who really stood out to me was Danny DeVito's incredibly weird and funny bit part as the president of the Jack Lord fan club (and a total psycho to boot).

By the way, if you liked this film, try watching another MacDonald film DIRTY WORK. It might be a tad funnier but both very rough comedies make you laugh--and isn't that enough sometimes?

Amusing, Light Comedy.

Author: herr_mike from Dartmouth, NS
12 May 2000

Screwed does not take itself seriously, and as a result is able to work around a script that, while witty and clever, is not exceedingly original. Norm MacDonald, plays the standard role, Dave Chappelle compliments him well, and Danny Devito plays his character as if he is the star of the show, and in many ways he is.

Nothing intellectual or deeply engaging, but works because of clever casting and funny material. *** out of ****.

Author: Blake French (dlfspartan@aol.com) from USA
7 June 2000

SCREWED / (2000) ***

"Everyone gets it in the end" is the subtitle to "Screwed," the new comedy from the screenwriting team Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski ("Man on the Moon," "The People vs. Larry Flint"). Gets what in the end? Screwed, of course. That is one of the most factual taglines I have seen in a long time. Within the short running time of this comedy every last character becomes screwed in one way or another. No other commentary better fits the promotions of this production.

Former Saturday Night Live star Norm Macdonald is an unhappy chauffeur named Willard Fillmore. He is employed by his dead father's mistress, the wealthy but cruel-spirited Virginia Crock (Elaine Stritch), who owns a enormous bakery corporation and a cute little dog. Ms. Crock never grants Willard gifts, raises, nor does she compliment him for his hard and loyal services.

Rusty P. Hayes (David Chappelle) is Willard's best friend, a pot smoking young man destined to earn minimum wage for the rest of his seemingly pitiful life. The two buddies decide they have had enough of Crock's inhumanity and are ready to get even with the witch. They plan to abduct her precious canine to hold for a million dollar ransom. With the help of a deranged morgue attendant named Grover Cleaver (Danny DeVito), the unlikely pair set out for revenge and criminal riches. As their after dark heist for Crock's pet takes place, Willard and Rusty's dim minds cannot handle the pressure. The unsuccessful seizure results in severe bleeding, a misinterpreted reimbursement note, and a crime site appearing as though a brutal murder has taken place. All of this and yet the mission's target ends up escaping the captors and finding its way back in bed next to Crock.

Virginia Crock discovers a room in her mansion ransacked and destroyed, therefore, when she reads the ransom note regarding the assumed capture of her dog, she thinks the reading indicates Willard himself is the hostage. When Detective Tom Dewey (Daniel Benzali) becomes involved with the missing persons' case, Rusty gets an idea: instead of abducting the dog, they should agree with what the presses are addressing. Complicated chaos ensues leaving nearly every character "screwed" by the time the film's finally roles around.

"Screwed" works mostly in part of the flawless casting choices. Danny DeVito makes the film alike in his character to his diabolic portrayal of the Penguin in "Batman Returns" with exaggerated gestures and irresistible make-up and costume. No other actress could have captured the spiteful, annoying character of aging Ms. Crock like Elaine Stritch, who gives a specific style to Crock that we love to hate. Norm Macdonald once again proves he cannot act worth a hill of beans, but he sure provokes amusing material through his character.

This production is of nothing intellectual or deeply engaging, nor is it anything thought-provoking in the least. The deadpan dialogue is bland, lacking creatively and liveliness. There are also undeveloped characters, scenes and subplots irrelevant to the story, and even some humor unworthy of a smirk. However, "Screwed" has one major element that makes it effective: the movie induces some big laughs. Many of today's comedies fail to bring about a single chuckle in an audience, and this movie frequently made me guffaw, giggle, grimace, and at certain points, laugh until it hurt. Judging "Screwed" in this method, the film is worth the watch.

worst movie i've seen all year.

Author: mofroggg from detroit
26 September 2000

holy cow, what an awful movie! i'm a dave chapelle fan, and i like danny devito too, in most of the comedies he's played in. norm macdonald is a gifted stand-up comedian. but in this movie, chapelle's reduced to playing the silly black sidekick, danny devito is given NOTHING to work with, and macdonald is so unfunny i found myself thinking about cleaning house while the video was on. yikes. i wouldn't even recommend renting this movie with a free rental coupon.

Unappealing comedy

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
27 April 2010

I am sure other people who have posted their comments on this movie here have referenced the title in their comments, so I won't even try to make the same kind of joke. As you may have guessed by that last sentence, I didn't find this movie very appealing. For one thing, this is an extremely scummy-looking movie. Almost every shot look dark, dirty, and slimy - surprising, because it was filmed in clean British Columbia. But what was worse about the movie was how abrasive it was, harsh-feeling and tough to sit through. It is EXTREMELY loud, and almost every actor gives a strident and unappealing performance (the only actor who survives is Sherman Hemsley.) The movie is also badly written - MacDonald's girlfriend character is awkwardly introduced and stays missing for most of the movie, and characters keep failing to check things before making major actions and decisions. And it was strange that though this movie is taking place in the winter, in one scene in a car you can see bright sunshine and leaves on trees.

Oh, and the movie isn't funny at all.

dumb and unfunny

Author: Idocamstuf from Greenville, NY
20 July 2002

What a dumb, unfunny movie. I got this film for a gift , I watched it and thought it was terrible. My question is, why would Danny DeVito ever agree to appear in such a

terrible movie? I would not recommend this movie to anybody. 2 out of 10

Too ignorant to be funny

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
12 July 2001

This is a downright horrible movie, and I don't think I laughed one time. I love Chapelle and McDonald, and even Devito, but they were all horribly awful in this movie. The fact is- the characters are too stupid to laugh at, and the story is just ridiculous. True, a ridiculous plot is fine for a comedy like this, but this script was just downright bad. Stay away from this film, and rent half baked (which isn't all that great either, but it's a lot better than this garbage.)

don't watch!

Author: skinjack (skinjack@mail.com)
4 June 2000

I went to see this movie without any reference. Just a movie poster, no story outline, no pictures, no screen names, nothing, just the title and a perfect time slot in the Paramount cinema in Toronto where I viewed this monsterous movie!

No fun, no enjoyment. Still, three points for its attempt to make a nice movie. No pretences, just a (bad, lame) story to tell. Oh, and acting????? Damn, even the Dutch can do better than this...

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]