IMDb > Screwed (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Hilarious!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
1 April 2001

Just like Norm McDonald's last comedy, don't expect anything complex or high-brow. But expect tons of laughs! I was laughing from beginning to end! And Norm is assisted by Dave Chapelle, another one who's talented at his craft. There's no artistic merit to thoroughly discuss. All I have to say is it was funny, and I don't want to give away why it was funny. Just go see it! You won't get "screwed" like some smart-alecky people claim.

hardly as rotten as I expected--in fact, not bad at all

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
9 June 2005

Norm MacDonald works for a very rich and nasty lady (Elaine Stritch). After putting up with tons of abuse from her, he decided to get revenge by kidnapping her horrid dog and holding it hostage. His friend (Dave Chappelle) lends him a hand and soon are the subject of a nationwide manhunt! Will the guys get away with it or will they go to prison and become somebody's boy toys?

The reviews for this movie were SAVAGE. I've seen wars get better reviews! The attacks were strong and brutal. That's probably why I am so charitable in my review. It just didn't seem like a bad film to me. Great?! No way, but there were enough moments to keep my interest and merit a score of 6. Sometimes I wonder if I am crazy (a possibility) or the movie reviewers are just lemmings who follow each other's leads.

Elaine Stritch was incredibly mean and hateful, as her role demanded and there were some other supporting actors who I really liked as well, but the one who really stood out to me was Danny DeVito's incredibly weird and funny bit part as the president of the Jack Lord fan club (and a total psycho to boot).

By the way, if you liked this film, try watching another MacDonald film DIRTY WORK. It might be a tad funnier but both very rough comedies make you laugh--and isn't that enough sometimes?

Amazingly funny!

Author: Phil Nolan from United States
17 March 2002

I just finished watching this movie and felt I should write a comment about it, which I've never done before. For much of this movie I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. Once or twice I noticed something that didn't makes sense, like in one scene the main characters steal a police car and start it without having keys. But a few seconds later they would do something so funny I just forgot all about it. I would recommend this farce to any of my friends, in fact I'm going to go do that right now.

Amusing, Light Comedy.

Author: herr_mike from Dartmouth, NS
12 May 2000

Screwed does not take itself seriously, and as a result is able to work around a script that, while witty and clever, is not exceedingly original. Norm MacDonald, plays the standard role, Dave Chappelle compliments him well, and Danny Devito plays his character as if he is the star of the show, and in many ways he is.

worst movie i've seen all year.

Author: mofroggg from detroit
26 September 2000

holy cow, what an awful movie! i'm a dave chapelle fan, and i like danny devito too, in most of the comedies he's played in. norm macdonald is a gifted stand-up comedian. but in this movie, chapelle's reduced to playing the silly black sidekick, danny devito is given NOTHING to work with, and macdonald is so unfunny i found myself thinking about cleaning house while the video was on. yikes. i wouldn't even recommend renting this movie with a free rental coupon.

calling it misguided is kind - calling it lame is accurate

Author: Sam_Gray from Auburn, AL
25 May 2000

What a disappointment. See, I found Dirty Work to be mildly amusing, and I like Norm Macdonald's work in general. Furthermore, I saw Dave Chappelle's stand-up act live a few months ago, and it was pretty funny. Thus, I really did expect to like Screwed, even though the critics didn't.

But, alas, those critics were right on target with this one. Almost every joke in the movie fails (the only particularly successful ones are near the end, too). Furthermore, one scene is unnecessarily violent for a movie of this type, making it all but impossible to laugh. The best moments usually belong to DeVito, by the way, but his part is pretty small (he's in like 5 or 6 scenes).

Incidentally, I'm really beginning to feel sorry for Chappelle, who just can't seem to do a good movie (I hated Half-Baked and Blue Streak, too). He's too funny to have this bad of a movie career. 3/10

How disapointing.

Author: PlanNine from Calgary, AB
13 May 2000

I honestly don't understand what was going through Scott Alexander and Larry Kawazinky's heads when they wrote and directed this piece of drivel. The plot is convoluted as are the characters. Very little is funny other than scene stealing Danny DeVito. What is funny is brilliant, but there is very little if anything to recomend this film.

I expect more from these guys. The two of them brought us the screenplays for such thought provoking and emotional films as Ed Wood, The People Vs Larry Flynt and Man on the Moon. This is one disapointing directorial debut.

Good for a laugh.

Author: the amorphousmachine from Australia
16 March 2002

While 'Screwed' is far from the essential comedy, it's definitely worth a rental! Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show) plays Willard, the under-appreciated butler to rich Bakery franchise owner, Miss Crock (Elaine Strich), who finds himself about to lose his job. Willard and his best pal, Rusty (Dave Chappelle) decide to kidnap Miss Crock's dog, but they soon find themselves hilariously over their heads as things go astray.

Danny DeVito also makes a welcome appearance in this film as the weird mortician, Grover- who likes his job a little too much! 'Screwed' is a predictable but fun to watch film with decent performances from the cast. Not a classic as others have suggested, but good for a laugh if you feel like watching something light-hearted! ***1/2 out of *****!

Bad, just plain old BAD

Author: hoggie_bear
29 May 2000

Dont bother, dont even rent it. Terrible. Every bit of humor could have been condensed into a 10 minutes skit, and even that might not have gotten a laugh. If you really want to see this one, please wait for it to be on video, and even then have a back up plan, as I doubt you will want to sit thru the whole thing.

Save your money, rent Dirty Work

Author: aw_pcc from Portland, Oregon
14 May 2000

The funniest parts of this movie involve a turd in a box, and Danny DeVito with brush in his a**. The writing, acting, and directing are all awful. My friend commented, that the movie must be bad, because it looked like I was having more fun playing with my Milk Duds box than watching it. Save your money, and go rent Dirty Work. (Bear in mind that Norm MacDonald is one of my favorite comedic actors.)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]