IMDb > "Jesse" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jesse"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jesse" More at IMDbPro »

2nd Season: A BIG Disappointment

Author: Ernst-2 from Texas, USA
1 October 1999

I was a big fan of "Jesse" from the first episode I watched. That, however, was in season one. This season those with nothing better to do decided to "fix it," even though it wasn't broken. The new season opener has dropped her Dad and two brothers from the cast (no explanation) and added two co-workers at her new job. In short, the season opener was lame the second episode even worse. I will watch a third time, but if the show doesn't improve, I'm out of here.

Applegate after Married with Children

Author: SnoopyStyle
29 August 2013

This is a Christina Applegate vehicle. After the success of Married with Children, the folks at NBC thought they had the formula to built around Christina. As such, it always felt fake and chemistry never truly set right.

A single mother (Applegate) tries to find love again with her new boyfriend Diego, of whom her father disapproves. She gets help from her two brothers (one voluntarily mute) and two girlfriends at work (her father's bar). Complicating matters is her ex-husband, who walked out on her 7 years before, but is back to try and reinsert himself into the family.

It just seemed to be too many things going on in this show. When they make one character voluntarily mute, it just showed how silly the writers got.

Good for first season then went downhill quickly

Author: dsly4425 from Ohio
14 October 2001

In the beginning this was not a bad show, by beginning I mean the first season, then the powers that be decided to reformat by dropping several members of the case without explanation, and left Jesse seeking a new job, which she was not suited for. If they had kept things the way they were, that might have saved the series.

For those that liked The Single Guy, this also happened on that series, trading the one good couple on the show for a Bagel Shop, not unlike the coffee shop on Friends.

Growing Up.

Author: Keith Jamison from Belfast
20 July 2001

Nice to see Christina Applegate finally get a starring role on TV.

I think this is a very mature role for her as a single mom with the prescription quirky family (who doesn't have one?).

But after the gloriously depressing Mafia! this is a gem. Fast punchy dialogue, yet there's still time for a little bit of romance with the new neighbour.

I've only just started to watch it here in the UK (CH4, mornings July 2001) so it's still early days, really.

Liked the episode about their "First Date" and the incident with the candy - classic "if it can go wrong, it will".

Well done, Christina for shaking off the Kelly Bundy image of being a dullard.

Go-o-o Jesse!

I think the show is good

Author: aviaamitay
17 March 2000

Well, I will have to say that the show is great, but I also have to say that the second season is not as great as the first one... and why isn't there an explanation for the disappearing of jesse's father and brothers?... I think the the only reason that I watched the show was because of jesse's brother - Jr. that is played by john lehr, he is so cute... and I am a big fan of him since I have seen the show. In conclusion, I think the show is very good. I will give it a 9 in a scale from 1 to 10.

how on earth did this get on thursday nights?

Author: kip mccormick (creme.brulee@sympatico.ca) from toronto, ontario, canada
24 September 1999

It appears the network execs had nothing to put in their oh-so-coveted Thursday-night time slot, so they decided this was the least poor of all the 'undecided' shows they had at the time. Remember 'The Single Guy' which was taken off the air because the acting was too poor? Well, imagine a former member of Married...With Children in an equally bad show. It seems most of the other reviews of Jesse posted here were written during the first few episodes of the show. Well, I'm writing this after seeing a full season, and I have to say Urkel is a better actor than anyone on this show. We're now into the second season, and the two supporting actors (Dom DeLouise's son and the guy who didn't speak for half the first season) are nowhere to be seen, nor are they anywhere in the opening credits anymore. No explanation was given. That's right, not even attempted. Just written out of the show. I guess we're supposed to pretend they never existed in the first place. Such things are easy to do in TV-Land where a show's characters can cease to exist when a network head-honcho looks at the ratings. I must say, though, that all is not dismal. The actor who plays the character Diego (I don't have access to his name as I'm writing this) is a fine actor. He must have done stage work in front of a live audience before. His stage presence feels like he is playing the audience like an instrument, causing them to laugh when he wants, while the other actors feel like they are reading their punchlines, hoping the audience will react favorably. Sorry to differ in opinion from everyone else who has put forth the time to comment on this show, but i feel it is extremely poor. It doesn't deserve to be cancelled, but it certainly has not lived up to the Thursday night time slot it has been given. Hide it on Monday or Tuesday, and it will fit right in with the other shows on at the same time.

Not Bad...catch reruns on USA

Author: Charity Grace Campbell (Charitywork@yahoo.com) from Goldsboro, North Carolina
22 December 2001

This show wasn't bad. It was a cute little show about a single mother played by the formerly super popular Christina Applegate (Married With Children!). The main reason the show failed was not that it was cheesy, all sitcoms are cheesy, its just that people can't accept Christina Applegate without a flimsy top, as Kelly Bundy or some other blonde airhead. She chose the wrong time to grow up and become elegant. Make a Married With Children spin off and that would be the show but since Chris is so typecast all shows she does like this, no matter how good will fail. The first season is GREAT, second is okay but ends in a never resolved cliffhanger!

Another lousy show but a timeslot hit

Author: tex-42
24 May 2000

The creators of Friends really only seem to have been able to come up with one successful sitcom and this one is not it. You can see this because half the cast was dropped after the first season and the show was completely reformatted, not for the better. Christina Applegate deserves better than this and hopefully she will find something. The only reason this show lasted at all was because of its timeslot after the mega-hit Friends and because it came from the creators of Friends.

Promising series

Author: Fritz-7 from Norway
20 February 1999

I've just watched my first episode today. My first impression was that it was kinda fun to watch something where Christina Applegate didn't play a stupid bimbo. And after watching some more I found out that it was a very good series. It had lots of great moments. I especially liked the way Jesse handled the annoying man in the bar. This seems to be a very promising series. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

She's back

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
26 December 1999

Christina Applegate returns to television since the end of her old show, Married With Children. What's surprising is how she plays someone who is somewhat serious instead of the incredibly stupid and, yes, sexy Kelly Bundy. Just shows how much talent she has. Anyway, I wouldn't say this is the best series NBC turned out, that probably being Seinfeld, but certainly not the worst, that being Jenny as far as I'm concerned. It's a basic comedy series like many of the others but proves itself to be enjoyable.