IMDb > Seeta Kalyanam (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Seeta Kalyanam More at IMDbPro »

What Can I say... Top5 greatest Telugu movie ever made

Author: navagrahaz from United States
30 July 2008

This is Bapu & Mullapudi's best artistic work (which in itself puts it as the top5 greatest telugu movie ever made).

This is the kind of artfully produced classic that offers a different approach to looking at Hindu mythology - in the form of a musical.

I call it poetry in motion. Every song and sequence has 'Bapu Bomma' written all over it... be it little Sita looking at the avatars of Vishnu, Bhagheeratha/Ganga sequence, Vamana/Bali Sequence, Vishwamitra explaining his ignorance on refusing brahmarshi peetam, Swayamvaram etc.

The only low point is Satyanarayana as Ravana. He can never even dream of having a presence like SV Ranga Rao playing such grand characters in a 1000 years.

If you haven't watched it ..... Keep an evening open, switch of all loud noise, sit quietly and enjoy the grand spectacle. If you have already watched it, watch it again for the little subtleties which explains the depth of our mythology.

JaiHind!

Pure poetry

Author: Sheldon Cooper
13 February 2011

For me this movie is pure poetry. Hats off to Bapu's imagination. Each frame is a painting. It covers many stories from Bhagavatam never told in movies that too beautifully.

This movies went to several international film festivals and has the rare distinction of being in Oxford film archives in London as a course reference.

I personally like the Vamana avatar-am episode. Starts with lovely rendering of "ananda achyuta- madhavaa ramaa davaa" and I love the padyam "intintai vatundintai". This is simplified version of padyam from Potana bhagavatam.

I can write all day on this. I love this movie. This is my most favorite movie on Ramayanam.

Bapu and Ramana's masterpiece.

Great greatest musical ever made in Telugu!!!

Author: mkrishna-pavan
19 September 2009

This is one of the greatest musical made in Telugu....like someone else pointed, it is like a moving poetry. Whole movie is like a beautiful song with great equally greatest visuals...

If some one says one cannot make great Telugu mythological without great actors/actresses like NTR,SVR,ANR,Savitri....etc, I will show them this movie.

For me this movie proudly stands next to great movies like 'Maya Bazar', 'Nartanasala', 'Bhukailas'..etc.

This is one of my most fav' movies. Full credit goes to none other than Bapu-Ramana, K.V Mahadevan (mama!!!) to some extent Jayaprada ,though Ravi(Sri Rama character) is not up to the mark.In some scenes I felt I can never ever see such a beautiful woman again!!!!

If you follow carefully, you can observe how much devotion Bapu has towards sri Rama. we all know that Bapu likes sri Rama so much that reflects in this movie.

Like some one pointed, why should western people laugh at this movie??? I can show this to any one on this planet with great pride. I'll say this is what I believe and it is where I came from.

I watched this movie many times by now and I will watch again and again!!!!!

Beautifully crafted musical

Author: Rosusa (unimatrixzero) from United Kingdom
14 April 2003

This 1970s Indian musical tells the story of the life and times of Sita and Rama and their time on earth together in a human incarnation. Rama returns to earth to defeat an evil demon and Sita follows him, immolating herself in fire and vowing revenge against a monster who tried to defile her. Beautifully crafted, with wonderful devotional songs, (the mantra is bone haunting) this film manages to capture the essence of the Hindu philosophy of life, struggle, rebirth and death. The special effects are basic to say the least, in fact by western standards they are laughable, but in the end this is a musical about devotion and love, so the any special effects are a bonus not a necessity. A wonderful film.