IMDb > I'll Be Home for Christmas (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I'll Be Home for Christmas

I'll Be Home for Christmas More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Hmmm, not the best Disney movie I've seen.

Author: Cassie-7 from Adelaide, Australia
21 December 1998

Well, I'd give this a 6 out of 10 because I love Christmas, but really the plot was fairly thin and wasn't this same idea run through in John Hughes "Dutch (aka Driving Me Crazy) - kid doesn't want to go home (for Thanksgiving in that movie), but then he has all sorts of adventures on the road on his way home and learns his lesson, etc, etc.

The only problem with this movie is that, unlike "Dutch", I honestly didn't feel that JTT had learned his lesson at all, he was still a scam artist at the end. Disney should really learn some lessons from John Hughes / Chris Columbus, they really know how to make a kids live-action movie!

I was so disappointed because it sounded like a really fun idea, but turned into the plot of a so-so TV movie.

It's worth seeing, but go on cheap Tuesday, or with free tickets, you'll feel less ripped off!!

nice comedy-adventure, not spectacular

Author: vchimpanzee
23 December 2002

Jonathan Taylor Thomas plays Jake, a college student in California who hasn't come home to New York for the holidays since his father remarried. The father makes Jake a deal he can't refuse: get home by 6 p. m. Christmas Eve, and he can have the Porsche they rebuilt together. One problem: Jake helps some athletes cheat on a final exam, but his plan is sabotaged, and 'Eddie and the boys' leave him in the desert wearing a Santa suit, with nothing but a note they signed. Eddie sets out to take Jake's girlfriend home. Jake calls her but there is a problem with her answering machine. Jake calls home for help but he has lied and schemed too many times before. It is his ability to lie that gets him on the road making progress toward his goal, but also into new jams. He sees Eddie several times (what are the chances?) but his girlfriend doesn't see him until the fourth time, and that doesn't turn out well. Of course, Eddie and Jake's girlfriend don't get along too well in their travels east. It's a fun film if not great. Jake helps several people, including himself, learn the true meaning of Christmas. Lots of great scenery in the first half of the movie, and a lot of the music is good, with styles including jazz and bluegrass. And the situations Jake gets himself into are quite funny. Have you ever seen a 5K race where all the entrants are dressed like Santa? It's a family film with a little off-color humor (I saw the edited version, so no bad language to speak of).

well and good, but...

Author: Chocklit from British Columbia, Canada
20 December 2008

rules are all very well and good, but why should I have to write at least 10 lines about a movie when others have extensively critiqued it already, and all I want to do is disagree with the bad reviews? Sheesh. I almost didn't watch this film, after reading some of the comments here, but as it was on TV and I had nothing better to do, I ignored the bad reviews and was glad I did. Sure, it is lightweight and the plot is a bit far-fetched, but so what? It is a Christmas movie, folks, nothing more, nothing less. Jonathan Taylor Thonas strikes just the right note as a college student trying to get home for Christmas, and learning to shed his selfish, self-centered attitudes as he does. There were some genuinely funny moments, a lot of touching moments, and the only fart joke I have ever laughed at. The great scenery (parts of BC and Alberta pretending to be various locations in a cross-country race across the USA) added to the enjoyment of the film. I was just going to say "Ignore the bad reviews, I liked it" but I had to pad it out . IMDb, don't you know that brevity is the soul of wit?

Worst Xmas Movie Ever!!!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
5 November 2001

'Couldn't stand this film. First of all, it's star: Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Remember when he used to be a cute kid who was good in everything he did? But fate played a horrible joke on him: He grew up. He got bigger, he is no longer cute, and worst of all, he's lost his trademark voice!! It's gotten deeper and more wise allecky. He was cute when he was young, but now he grew up into an UNFUNNY, unloveable being. He can sort of relate to Macaulay Culkin. Only difference: Jonathan's Dad isn't crazy! (That's not for sure because I don't know the man). About this film. Thomas plays Jake, a smartass college student who always wheels and deals and get's into trouble. Now Jonathan was 17 when he made this movie, so it's very unbelieveable that he could be a college student. He has a ditzy girlfriend, who in my opinion, is not that hot! But Jake is crazy about her. But one day he get's into trouble and they glue a Santa suit to him???

And leave him in the desert for dead. Meanwhile he had made a deal with his parents that if he's home by Christmas, Dad will give him the car he and Jake used to work on. So Jake breaks his back trying to get home to New York. Always running into trouble with UNFUNNY results!!! What is more, Jake's girlfriend is riding with an idiot named Eddie. I hate those two. (NOW THIS REVIEW MAY HAVE A SPOILER OR TOO, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THIS MOVIE. NOW IT MAY SPOIL IT FOR YOU, BUT HEY, NOBODY'S FORCING YOU TO READ THIS) Now after all the hassle, Jake returns home and decides he doesn't want the car. Whoever wrote this movie deserves to be kicked in the face! Just like the people who acted in it!

Jonathan Taylor must have a bad agent! That creep wouldn't even do the final episode of Home Improvement!!! Like many other actors, Jonathan Taylor Thomas is washed up! I guess Disney figured if they did a Christmas movie with Tim Allen, why not do one with Jonathan? Only difference: Tim Allen was actually good in his Xmas movie. What JTT should do is give up acting all together and actually do something with his life. He could write and direct movies! He could become a doctor, or something, help this screwy world. Acting is not a good perfession to go into. Because let's face it, movies and TV are not exactly keeping us alive. In conclusion, don't see this film! It's predictable right down to the last second! So go watch another Xmas movie, like The Grinch! Jonathan Taylor Thomas, persue a better career! Thank you. And Happy Holidays! -----------

Ho-Ho-Horrible!

Author: Zantara Xenophobe from Illinois, USA
25 December 2002

Quite frankly, I am in shock. The worst theatrical movie I have ever watched is currently "Cruel Intentions," but today I watched "I'll Be Home for Christmas," expecting a funny holiday movie, but instead I got cinematic trash that gave "Cruel Intentions" a run for the money as worst theatrically released movie ever. Every scene, every joke, every situation, and every main character is loathesome. The entire movie is one big insult to the intelligence. Surely someone involved with this project should have realized what a tragic mess they were making and said something to put a stop to it. But alas it was not to be.

*Minor spoilers herein* Instead we are treated with an insufferable comedy centered on a totally obnoxious and arrogant rich kid. I wasn't sympathetic to him at all and I didn't buy his transformation for a moment. Nor did I find any of his snafus funny. Every single mishap was an unfunny bomb. I mean, are we supposed to laugh when Thomas consistently lied or stole to get his way? What's so awful about it (aside form the moral standpoint) is that everyone bought his lies. Only an idiot would believe what he said. What about when he gave away stolen appliances to children in a hospital? Worst moment of all (which had me screaming at the television for the madness to stop) involved the bus-liver gag. Thomas uses a sandwich, crayons, and a cooler to make it look like a liver needed to be delivered in a nearby town. But they didn't even bother to show how Thomas obtained these items from the people in the neighboring seats, or why the guy with the cooler didn't realize the liver was in HIS cooler!

Anyway, this is hands down the worst Christmas movie I have ever watched. I would love to pick this dog apart, but I seem to get hate mail whenever I trash a so-called family movie, so I'll just leave you with the short warning to avoid this mess at all costs. My Christmas present to you. Humbug! Zantara's score: 1 out of 10.

A Must-See For 90s Fans & Anyone Really

Author: Heather from St. Augustine, FL
5 January 2016

This epic quote from it sums up both the movie and 90s/00s/10s culture: "I'm a millennial type of guy. I dig world music. I think freons should be banned. I'm all about yoga and macrobiotic food. I'm in touch with my inner child..." That's actually the first time I ever heard the word millennial. There is 90s pop culture oozing from every scene. The net (with a Yahooligans style graphic interface), answering machines, Aqua, overalls, beepers, Amber, backwards hats, leather jackets, Dave Matthews Band tickets, a photo of President Bill Clinton, payphones (even on a bus), Blink 182, travel agents, cordless phones, Cherry Popping Daddies, watches, frosted tips, and a Smash Mouth poster. Best of all, Allie is all about feminism, poetry, girl power, and slugging pervs. Aforementioned perv assumes she listens to Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Fiona Apple, and Natalie Merchant, which makes me love her even more. We need more intelligent and free spirited women like them in the world.

Don't Bring This One Home for Christmas, Unless You're a JTT Fan.

Author: phillafella from Nashville, TN
24 April 2003

`Home Improvement' star Jonathan Taylor Thomas stars in this predictable family comedy as a college kid whose father will promise him a new car if he makes it home before Christmas dinner begins. Thomas is in top form, but this should have been a two-part episode of `Home Improvement,' for he had left the show not long before this film was released. The Santa Race is the highlight of the film, but because there is little else here that is entertaining, this movie is only recommended for fans of the teen star.

2 out of 5

Ill be home for Christmas

Author: jennycarlson383 from United States
26 September 2007

i like this film because the whole IDEA of it was to make it home on time for Christmas in order for Jake to be given the Porsche. now I've seen some of the other comments given about this film...its JUST A MOVIE. i think who ever wrote it was just trying to make a point to their story and for people to understand that it didn't matter about the Porsche or getting home by six O'Clock. it just mattered that you got home and spent it with the family. thats what i think the writer and director was trying to show. this film is good for a holiday movie. i would suggest this to any family who spend holidays together and looking for a film thats funny and has humor in it.

This isn't a Jingle all the Way, but it'll do.

Author: ryanjw from NJ
9 November 2000

Don't get me wrong, this is a great movie... But it's not one you can watch over and over.. This movie isn't a Jingle all the Way :) But, if you're in the mood for a christmas movie, watch it, you'll like it. There are some funny parts, not too many serious parts, if any.. But there are some funny things in it.

This movie is awesome!

Author: Oliver Thatcher Watson
4 December 2016

I remember seeing this movie for the first time when I was in middle school. I absolutely loved it. The story is cute, poignant, and just awesome overall. Jonathan Taylor Thomas does a fantastic job playing as Jake Wilkinson as he at first, wants the Porsche and then realizes that he needs to do what's right so that Allie, whom Jessica Biel does a great job as btw, can be happy. Not only is the acting is pretty awesome, but it spreads a good message. That people shouldn't put valuables over the people they love. While it isn't the best Christmas movie, I still don't understand how so many people don't like it. I think the story is great and the acting isn't half bad. It's a great movie for what it is. I believe anyone who hasn't seen it would enjoy it like I do. 😊

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]