IMDb > The Video Dead (1987) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Video Dead

The Video Dead (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Just another horror movie!

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
31 December 2012

The Video Dead is just another stupid 1980's horror flick! The Video Dead concept of a haunted T V is cool. I noticed the movie The Ring copied a few scenes from the movie. Dead's characters are interesting! Great comic relief between the blond kid, and the guy with the cowboy hat. What does not work is the low budget, and silly script. Blair Witch resembled Dead's low budget campy feeling of people running around in the woods. I found scenes of Dead resembled production quality of an local cable access shows. When a script has dancing with zombies in the basement is just too silly for me. Lame movie. Four out of ten stars.

TV rots your brain!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
14 October 2011

You have to give "The Video Dead" credit for creativity. When a family moves into a new house, the kids find a TV set. Before too long, zombies emerge from the set and go around looking for victims. Yeah, pretty corny plot, but so much fun! There's some gore, but not as much as you might expect. One death scene in particular more than makes up for that (you'll know which one when you see the movie). I guess that the movie is subtly reminding us that TV rots our brains; in this case, we see entire bodies rotted away. But whatever the case, this is definitely a good time.

Featuring an appearance by Jennifer Miro (of the punk rock band The Nuns, of whom I'd never heard until I looked up Jennifer Miro after watching "The Video Dead").

Zombies that don't eat, they murder

Author: Paul Celano (chelano) from Howell, MI USA
2 October 2011

I love the box art for this, but it was not enough to make it a good movie. The zombies in the film were pretty good, except they were kind of smart and liked to play jokes. The story line was pretty bad. Basically you have a TV that brings a zombie film to life. Only a choice few zombies get to come out of the TV though. But they are not like real zombies. They kill people, but don't really eat them. Yes, you have murdering zombies. Sound scary? The acting was pretty bad and the movie was basically an advertisement for certain stupid 80s bands. You can tell this because they blast the music pretty loud at parts. I will give them credit for good make up and some pretty good gore scenes. But that is about it. I can't really go anymore into the film because there is really nothing more to talk about.

This film is great

Author: Joseph F. Labuda (labudajs@warwick.net)
9 June 1999

I saw this on t.v. but I never knew the name of it until I went to my local video store. It has everything, even the camera man's reflection in the window. There is this one great scene of a chainsaw going in through a guy's stomach. The blood looks like they died water red then squirted it all over the place.

I get to use the chainsaw.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
10 November 2012

A crate is delivered to a house in the woods. The homeowner unwisely accepts the delivery, only to discover it contains a TV set that starts spewing zombies all over the place.

When a new family moves into the now-abandoned house, the son discovers the haunted television and is soon told what he needs to do to send the zombies back where they belong.

Knowing and doing, however, are two very different things, and the zombies are not likely to go quietly.......

With a title like this, you should expect something a little cheesy, but with something about it.

This film has nothing about it. Women caked in make up kissing teenage boys, is something I do not want to see, especially when the woman gets killed by some weird sweaty 'hero' once she goes back tot the TV.

I understand that the film was shot mostly on weekends, but really, does it really have to have such bad acting and really poor effects?

Plot is really non existent, and come the end, you want to destroy your TV, let alone watch a film about people warning an annoying group of people about TV.

I'm sure somewhere in the film, it's a metaphoric way of telling people not to watch too much TV.

It's worked for me, I'll never subject my eyes to this again.

It's a shame this isn't on DVD

Author: paultagonist from United States
9 July 2009

I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

The plot is simple enough: a possessed television set finds its way to a household. When watching the movie played on the TV (kinda like The Ring), the movie infiltrates real life - which means zombies try to eat you.

I wish there was a little more explanation of the TV set's origins but that's a small complaint considering it's a zombie flick. The pacing is a little slow in the middle (and at what I thought was the climax) but picks up shortly thereafter. The zombie make-up is consistent and well done throughout the film, as is the few really gory scenes. It's also pretty cool to see zombies getting shot by arrows (!) for a change.

There's a slight tongue-in-cheek factor with this movie as well.. the first watcher of the zombie flick in the movie (titled "Zombie Blood Nightmare") says something to the affect of "aw, what is this s***" and turns it off - implying zombie movies are automatically beneath him. The next viewer (main character Jeff) later watches the same movie, but he's stoned (only a minute after smoking half a joint..) and finds the movie comical, which it probably is. The characters watching "Zombie Blood Nightmare" on TV and then experiencing a real zombie attack makes their situation more "real," somehow. The slight cheesiness of The Video Dead is acceptable because we've just been told that zombie flicks are cheesy and usually only ironically enjoyable when unsober.

I'd say this is almost a must-see for the zombie-movie lover (as in, that guy that's trying to see all the zombie flicks worth seeing).

I gave it a 7/10 as a zombie flick, and 6/10 (here on IMDb) as a regular movie.

I've seen worse

Author: phredd8675 from United States
11 November 2008

Yep, I've seen a lot worse movies than this one. My dad and I used to rent movies based on how bad they looked at the video store. Monster Dog comes to mind. Anyway, this one isn't that bad although I think it could have used more blood. Not enough for a typical zombie flick. The acting is almost comical at some points, such as when the maid gets offed. Her facial expressions don't seem horrified enough. Did anyone else notice that although she was being strangled by the zombie, you could still hear her breathing? And I loved when the woman gets stuffed in the washing machine! Hilarious!

I looked at the actor bios and saw that most of the people in this one either didn't do any more movies or their roles were rather limited. Too bad. I thought the sister, Zoe, was good and quite pretty. Maybe this movie worked against her in the long run.

worst movie i've ever seen

Author: death gun from belgium
23 September 2000

This is not only the worst zombie-movie, it's just the worst movie ever made. Take the worst "actors" and "actresses" (they just hold the script and read it, not exacelly acting) you've ever seen, no plot what so ever, the cheapest location ever(a house), a stupid script, zombies who laugh and have emotions( i guess the director wanted to make intelligent zombies), take all that and you have the worst movie ever. Do not spend any money renting or buying this movie, you'll be as dissapointed as i am. I know it's hard to find a good zombie-movie, So let me help you, here are some zombie-movies worth watching: "Night of the living dead", "Dawn of the dead", "Day of the dead", "the dead next door", "Lucio Fulci's Zombie 2", "return of the living death 1,2,3". If you rent one of these zombie-movies you won't be dissapointed. I think these movies will give you a bloody and creepy evening.

Decent effort. Not among the best...

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
15 May 2006

Another low budget Horror/sci-fi movie that seems to have vanished from earth. The plot is somehow inventive and kind of better than most of the slashers from the same time.

Still, the movie cannot escape from clichés and 80's cheese. We got decent gore, bad acting, an annoying score, but decent direction. Overall, "Video Dead" is worth the watch. If you can find it (which may be extremely difficult) please give it a chance. It's not among the best of it's kind but it's cheap entertainment.

There are some creepy moments in the movie but still cannot carry the movie. I won't get into detail because I might spoil the must see cheese factor.

So inept, it should have had its own 'section' at the video store under "Awful Movies"

Author: Aussie Stud from Providence, Rhode Island
10 July 2001

This has got to be one of the stupidest movies with an assembled cast of some of the worst actors of all time that I have ever seen. I hadn't actually heard of this movie until I noticed it under the 'Horror' section at my local video store. The back of the video suggested that the movie was about zombies that rise from the dead and attack the living. It sounded alright to me. Boy was I wrong.

The premise is simple. A television set (which origins from where it came from and how it was created are never fully explained) is mistakingly delivered to the wrong address and unleashes zombies once it is turned on. It is one of those common TV sets that everyone has that can turn on by itself, even when its not plugged in, and can even omitt smoke and fog while it unleashes unthinkable monsters. The TV set itself tunes into a zombie flick which is already in procession and one of the zombies turns to look at the camera and the next thing you know, they're walking out of it!! I had no idea that the average man could fit through a TV set, especially a small one from the 80's, but what the hey. The zombies wreak havoc upon the poor soul who happens to be living in the house at the time, and the next scene shows the dead man propped up against a wall wearing a party hat with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and his eyes wide open.

'Three months later', a new family moves into the house. The son and daughter have been sent to do the initial unpacking as the parents are still in Saudi Arabia. Of course, the house has been cleaned out since the last tenant's awful demise, except for the sole TV set which sits in the attic(!!!). Cut to a scene showing one of the zombies standing in the woods watching the kids move in, we are supposed to believe that they have been standing out there for three months doing absolutely nothing? The son hears the TV set turn on by itself and he discovers it in the attic where he carries it to his bedroom so he can watch it later. The daughter, as an actress, is in a league of her own. She has got to be one of the worst actresses I have ever seen, regardless that this *IS* an 80's horror movie. She spends most of her time on-screen looking really stupid and trying to look scared.

Meanwhile, the zombies start wreaking havoc on the neighborhood. They murder residents in the cul-de-sac in unusual ways. Of course, there is the one obligatory zombie wearing a rotting wedding dress. Oh, did I forget to mention that these zombies don't actually eat people? Instead, these zombies think they're 'actually' alive and that they only want to kill the things that remind them that they're dead... such as living people! The zombies murder people in fascinating ways, such as choking them to death and in one hilarious scene, placing a woman upside down in a washing machine!!! If you thought this sounded ridiculous, the woman was in fact of a 'larger' bone structure and they managed to squeeze her in and turn it on so her legs spin round and round(!). This all sounds like comedy so far, but you'll most likely be rolling your eyes and groaning in excruciation at this point.

So far, we have been introduced to characters we couldn't care less about, and totally unrealistic-looking zombies who raise more laughs than thrills if anything. There's even a ridiculous sub-plot that pops up when the son is watching the TV set and sees a 'sexy' woman who keeps talking to him, right before she gets her throat cut by a strange man who introduces himself as "The Garbage Man". He mentions something about placing a mirror in front of the TV-set (what good would that do seeing as the zombies have already escaped?) and that's the last we see of him. What on Earth was that all about you ask? Beats me. I'm about as clueless as you are.

And then on top of all this, a man from Texas shows up wanting to claim back the TV set (three months *AFTER* its initial bungled delivery) and instead, stays with the two kids to help get rid of the zombies. The Texan and the son decide to spend time out in a rusty old shanty in the middle of the woods so they can kill the zombies with a bow and arrow and a chainsaw!! The trap results in having the son dangling from a rope as 'bait' wielding a chainsaw while the Texan dozes off in the shanty, just as the zombies make their appearance!!! If you've digested all of this ludicrous plot material so far, wait till you see the ending... it is RIOTOUS!!

The sister decides to have the zombies over for dinner (yes, you heard that right) so she can trick them into going ballroom dancing(!!) in the basement and then trap them down there so they will go crazy and eat each other to death(!!!). After she surprisingly manages to pull this off, the movie closes with her in a mental asylum receiving a visit from her parents (who look more like her GRANDparents) who have a little gift for her... the television set wheeled in on a trolley!!! The movie then closes with a fade-out from the room and a long scream.

I've seen terrible movies before, but this one really takes the cake. If you can't get over the bad storyline, bad special effects and bad 80's soundtrack - try to make sense of the terrible 'acting' performance given by the female who plays the daughter. It is unbelievably rotten.

This movie gets a Grade: Z!

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]