IMDb > The Video Dead (1987) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

No "NOTLD", but fun.

Author: gridoon
14 January 2003

Okay, this is no classic, but that's not the point. It was the directing debut of a man who probably loved horror movies and had the right spirit, but at the time was perhaps too inexperienced to realize how bad some of the dialogue was (the "don't ever sneak up on me like that again" scene), and how amateurish some performances came across as. For the non-existent budget he probably had to work with, the makeup effects are pretty good, and the film does have its fair share of blood and laughs. (**)

Did I just rent that?

Author: klugscheisser23 from Montreal, Quebec
27 September 2000

Ahh..."The Video Dead." I've always wondered what the answer to the age-old question: "If I had a camera, a couple friends, and some dough...what kind of zombie flick would I make?" The answer is simple...Neon Maniacs. However, a close second would be "The Video Dead." It really is one of the most wretched movies ever made, but in reality, isn't that why we have zombie flicks? Sure it's bad...but is it WATCHABLE?

The answer is yes and no. If you've got a few good friends over and some kind of alcohol or sugar high, this flick could get very entertaining. Of course, most of the time you'll be rooting for the zombies, as the human characters are that unlikable. When the bride zombie got that chainsaw, I was waiting in child-like expectation for her to make a meat-sculpture out of Danny. Also, the last fifth of the movie was incredibly absurd, and if I were a zombie, I'd see right through that girl's "not scared" routine. There really weren't enough messy death scenes in this movie.

Anyway, if you're one of those people who has to see EVERYTHING in the horro section at the local Movieland, and the choice is between this or "Xtro2"...get "Xtro2," but come back at 11 pm for "The Video Dead!"

A nice slice of vintage 80's low-budget horror zombie cheese

22 October 2014

An old television acts as a portal that enables zombies to enter our dimension and embark on a murderous spree. Boy, does this hilariously horrendous honey possess all the right wrong stuff to qualify as a definite four-star stinkeroonie: The ham-fisted (mis)direction by Robert Scott (who also penned the delightfully dopey script), poky pace, dodgy acting from a lame no-name cast (although the sultry Jennifer Miro manages to register well as a mysterious and seductive blonde babe), silly false scares, generic hum'n'shiver synthesizer score, and tacky gore all give this deliciously drecky darling a distinctly cruddy charm that's akin to a lovably low-rent episode of an enthusiastic amateurish version of "The Twilight Zone." Moreover, Scott deserves some props for not making the story 100% predictable -- a few character deaths are genuinely shocking and surprising -- as well as for providing several wickedly funny moments of inspired dark humor. Greg Becker's competent cinematography and the gnarly zombie make-up manage to rise above the general ineptitude. A real schlocky hoot and a half.

Without being at all good, it's not all bad.

Author: David Massey from Austin, Texas
9 April 2014

'The Video Dead' feels much more like a student film, held together with Scotch tape and chocolate-syrup blood and looking more like no-budget-1970 than 1987, the year it was made. A mysterious TV inscribed with a skull and programmed entirely with zombie movies is delivered to a man who lives alone. One night, the unplugged TV becomes a portal for zombies. Yup, that's right, zombies escape from the TV and go on a killing spree. I won't pretend that this isn't the fodder of late-night TV. In fact, I vaguely recall seeing it on 'USA Up All Night with Rhonda Shear' back in the very early 90's, usually the final resting place for all 1980's camp horror. What makes this one stand out is its bizarre logic; these are not Romero's zombies.

After some time, new residents move into the house and discover the possessed TV in the attic. The film turns into a teen-horror and the characters are given glimpses of another world beyond the screen in which a vampish seductress taunts and a hero garbage man is in search of the escaping zombies. Little of this is explained beyond a few scenes and that plot seems all but forgotten halfway through. In the second half we're introduced to a mysterious roaming Texan (a poor man's Slim Pickens) hoping to avenge his wife's death which was apparently at the hands of these zombies.

As if that wasn't weird enough, the zombies giggle, taunt, and torture their prey. There's no biting here, more likely, these ghouls are apt to strangle and kill in elaborate ways (see washing machine death) usually reserved for the likes of 'Jason Voorhees' or 'Michael Myers'. There's also a number of rules (a la 'Gremlins') that can be used in combating them. There was something to do with mirrors, bells, and having to convince the zombies that they're dead; there was even a scene where claustrophobia seemingly causes one of their heads to explode and the others turn cannibal. I didn't really follow all of it but it didn't really matter. With some schlocky gore and a plot drifting from comedy, to stoner movie, to chainsaw wielding buddy adventure, I suggest just sitting back, turning your logic-cap off, and having a laugh at this one; without being at all good, it's not all bad.

Not Bad

Author: arfdawg-1 from United States
6 February 2014

An unlabeled crate from an unknown source is delivered to a house in the woods.

The homeowner unwisely accepts the delivery, only to discover it contains a TV set that starts spewing giggling zombies all over the place.

When a new family moves into the now-abandoned house, the son discovers the haunted television and is soon told what he needs to do to send the zombies back where they belong.

Knowing and doing, however, are two very different things, and the zombies are not likely to go quietly.

Starts off kinda interesting but then it meanders quite a bit. Sometimes it's fun other times down right boring. Never really quite sure why the TV spews out zombies, or why they just hang out in the woods all the time after the first guy gets it.

Still for the non-budget and it's a worthwhile watch if you are into the zombie fare.

"Go for it dude!" This movie is a romp! It's not half as bad as people say.

Author: Foreverisacastironmess from ukwitchcountry
20 October 2013

Why didn't they just name it The TV Dead? That would have been a lot more accurate, there's no video in it.. Okay, this is my third all-time favourite zombie flick, taking pride of place right behind Zombie Flesh Eaters, and Dawn of the Dead. I just love horror films that involve things emerging from the television, it's such a cool creepy idea! It gives me such a chill when the zombie turns and glares evilly right out of the screen... The prologue is so spooky when the ugly grizzled guy keeps turning off the haunted TV but it just keeps turning itself back on when his back is turned. I wish "Zombie Blood Nightmare" were a real picture! His ashen corpse is very eerie with the party stuff all over him. They ~played~ with him, brr.. ::: I love the Garbageman scene - just look at that face! He's like the Old Man of the Sea come to life! That gnarly old man really brought his A-game! The Garbageman's on a roll so ya better listen and listen *good!* Just what the hell was he supposed to be anyway, the guardian of friggin' Dimension X or what!? I find it funny when the dumbass Jeff can't seem to say anything to him that doesn't end with a question mark, and it really slays me how the old buzzard says "A mirrorrr..." as he leaves, like he's trying to be all 'mysterious!' ::: Rocky Duvall.. Wet behind the ears doesn't begin to cover it. His voice was so silly and high-pitched. He also had a kind of lisp that seemed to come and go. His acting skills really did stink, but I just thought he was so funny it didn't matter. He was like an eager puppy! And he still wasn't as bad as the mom from Troll 2. I thought it was a bit of a shocker when his character meets an unexpected and surprisingly brutal demise. I found it a wee bit sad too... ::: A lot of the other reviews Declare that Roxanna Augusen as Zoe was as bad as Duvall, I didn't think so. Yeah, she too was pretty weak for the most part, but I thought she really came into her own when it got to the final act where she's playing it terrified/fake happy hostess for the zombies! That must have been a very interesting task for any actress. And I thought she was excellent in her absolute terror in the chilling closing scene that wraps things up oh so perfectly. All I could remember of this film for years was the scene where she's standing at the front door of the house with the sun setting and she says to the rather confused zombies: "How nice to see you all! Won't you come in?" I don't know why but those lines always stuck with me, so totally bizarre and surreal. Some of the big dialogue scenes, such as the one with Garbageman or when the obnoxious cowboy explains the rules kinda wind up not being as interesting as they should be, and just kind of taper off thanks to a few misplaced words and clunky sentences. It's like someone didn't have a complete grasp of what a screenplay was or something... I can't believe some of the complaints are about the way the zombies look. Are you nuts!? For the time it's got some of the best looking makeup effects going - much more menacing and impressive than the blue-skinned terrors of Dawn of the Dead-forever great and classic creations though they may be. I think that was one of the big problems. It looks like all the money may have gone into those zombies! And about those undead.. Well they weren't strictly the undead at all as such, were they? not in any conventional sense. They were more like malicious ghosts that liked to pathetically pantomime at being alive. That's one of the reasons I love this so much-the 'zombies' are totally unique, and that's something-especially today when you've got absolutely wretched low rent zombie trash endlessly being spewed out by the bucket load. A lot of this film's music is seriously creepy, and helps to set a genuinely nightmarish and unsettling tone of dread. This film deserves..if not respect than a least a little consideration, if only for the mood, makeup effects and perhaps originality. There's something of the old E.C. Comics spirit about it, I think. A real fun mad '80s gem that's best enjoyed with someone, it's got a lot of charm and style. I love it to death, and you can tell they had fun making it. Bye!

"Just Pray It's Not drugs Dear"

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
20 July 2013

Probably more famous for its video box than as a film, this direct-to-video film is not all that bad. In fact it really grew on me. Why? It is not because it is particularly good or has great action or wonderful special effects. It does have a lot of heart and a sense of humor AND despite the low budget and the cast of mostly one and dones - it is fairly well-made. An odd package is sent to a writer who opens the box, finds an old black and white TV, plugs it in...and then the only thing that plays is a zombie flick. Wait! He turns off set and it comes back on. He unplugs it and it comes back on..and he is killed by a group of undead that come from the TV set. These rogue zombies then disappear for three months until a new family moves in - and then they start killing. Why did they wait three months? Your guess is as good as mine! Apparently they were in the woods the whole time. Anyway, the new people in the house are just a teen-aged boy and his hot sister. A guy that originally bought the TV set comes along - and its zombie hunting time. Now, do not get me wrong. This is no great cinema. How about that scene with the poodle going into the woods? Or the whole bit with the kid tied in the air? Or even the ending. these zombies are MIGHTY smart! I liked the performances of several most notably Sam David McClelland as Joshua Daniels(the guy that kept calling Jeff "Kid." He was not great but genuine. The girls were all hot in that 80s hot way. Victoria Bastel as April the cute blond and Roxanna Augenson as Zoe Blair - very pretty though not always convincing. The make up really is pretty good and the TV scenes were really pretty suspenseful. For what it was - I liked it. I do want to check out the new blu ray. I watched my old Embassy tape once again. Who says video is dead?

Fun zombie movie

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
29 October 2012

First time watch.

This had a little strange plot, well it new at the time, I liked the idea of Zombies come out of a TV set,

The zombies did look a bit scary. (the make up effects were really good) at first but as the movie goes you will find more funny, as do some really funny killing.

Were really funny death in scenes in this movie, This movie made me Jump in one scene lol, some so silly made me Jump.

There were some bloody moments in this movie was nice, there were not many gory moment in this movie.

The acting was really wooden for main lead boy, it felt like it was reading the link and not acting them out at all.

I liked the ending of this movie, I thought that was really good way to end the movie.

5 out of 10

Strangely Effective

Author: jmbwithcats from United States
23 March 2012

Strangely Effective.

It's not great but there's something so memorable and basic about the film. The way the TV is laying down, it really skews your perception and gets right in your head.

I thought it was a simple, effective, kinda silly, but strangely unforgettable movie. It's like a tiny grain of sand in a clamshell. The Video Dead is the poster child for "kill Your Television. It continues... in your mind... The zombies are memorable and have a practically anthropomorphous alacrity that digs in.

Don't mistake this for some masterpiece, it's an obscure, grainy, simplistic zombie film, but somehow refreshing in that it doesn't try too hard to be anything more. In a way it's like a film right out of the Twilight Zone mind trip universe.

Too Long

Author: Stalin15 from Perrysburg, Ohio
11 March 2002

While, I do agree this movie has everything a bad B-grade horror movie should have the movie did not appeal to me or my friends. The movie was way too long and include too many "filler" scenes. Basically, I just plain lost interest in the movie, but I finished watching it, because I love this genre.

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]