IMDb > Banjo the Woodpile Cat (1979) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Banjo the Woodpile Cat (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Classic Don Bluth

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
12 April 2011

I am a fan of Don Bluth, and while The Secret of NIMH is the movie I consider his magnum opus, this animated short Banjo the Woodpile Cat is a perfect example of Don Bluth in his prime. The animation is very nice, with luscious colours with some essence of darkness, fluid backgrounds and some of the better character designs in any of Bluth's work. The music is memorable, with some great jazzy undertones, while the songs are not too obvious either. The characters are immensely lovable, particularly Banjo who is also quite cute and charming, the dialogue is snappy, cute and funny and the storytelling is heart-warming and very sweet and well-meaning with an effective enough moral that doesn't hit too hard. The voice acting is very good, especially Scatman Crothers, Banjo the Woodpile Cat is well-paced and while it is very short at just half-an-hour or so there is not a dull or wasted moment. Overall, a classic and among Bluth's best. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Adorable

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
21 June 2008

With good fortune, I managed to find this (in three parts) on YouTube recently. Along with a few films, this is one I saw a lot as a young child, until today I had not seen it for years.

In one sentence: A beautiful, classic Don Bluth short film. In a few sentences: This animated short captures the beauty of Bluth's unique animation and the beauty of the story. The story is very sweet and many children will be able to relate to it and almost all adults will as well. There is a not-that-subtle moral in this story as well which is a very good moral, another highlight to the film. All in all, a very cute animated film well worth watching!

This film is about a kitten called Banjo who is very naughty, somehow he is always doing something bad. (He is very adorable though - and very likable. :-) ). One day, he falls off the chicken coop (on his feet) and his father orders him to fetch a switch so he can be beaten. Very harsh punishment! Not all that surprisingly, Banjo decides to run away to find new opportunities and ends up in Salt Lake city. Unfortunately, he finds he would rather be with his family...

I recommend this to all young children who like cartoons and to all adults who like cartoons and who like Don Bluth. Enjoy "Banjo the Woodpile Cat"! :-)

Pretty good!

Author: hawkeyeandtrapperreside from United States
29 April 2005

This is the story of Banjo the Woodpile cat (duh). He lived with his mother, father, and sisters in the woodpile in Utah (I believe), and after jumping from the roof to see if cats really DO land on their feet, he gets in trouble with his father! Yikes! Ordered to get the switch to tan his own hide, Banjo thinks that no one in his family would care if he got hurt or not.

Therefore, he runs away, hitching onto a truck going to Salt Lake City...Now homesick and lonely, he must find his way home, with the help of a few friends! It has a gripping story, insanely good animation, and great character development for being a 29 minute film! The only problem is the songs, which are played to death. It is exactly true to any family; not necessarily to the 't', but the same general essence is in every family I ever met; resentment to the parents once they disipline you for doing something wrong.

A Don Bluth Classic

Author: traildraft from San Diego, CA
21 January 2003

Even if I didn't know this was Don Bluth, this animation short is truly a classic. When I first heard of this feature, I had to get it. Only, I wish it were a full length movie. Banjo is a loveable character. Don Bluth sets the tone in great looking animation the way it used to be.

At Last I found it!

Author: stephen.murtagh from Birmingham, England
8 January 2001

When I was growing up my parents had made me a video with loads of cartoons on taped from the TV. Of all the Bugs Bunny and Road Runner cartoons Banjo has always stuck in my mind. Perhaps the accessibility of the Warner cartoons has deteriorated my fond memories of them, but after 15 years I have found proof that this cartoon existed.

All I remember is a cat called Banjo who does something naughty so his father beats him and he runs off to Salt Lake City to live with some showgirls. When I told that synopsis to my friends they really didn't know what I was talking about.

After a bored afternoon it suddenly dawned on my to try the IMDB, low and behold I found Banjo. I've now ordered the VHS - I hope that it is as good as I remembered.

Cuteness prevails and makes up for some other deficits

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
16 June 2017

"Banjo the Woodpile Cat" is a 27-minute animated short film from 1979, so two more years and this one will have its 40th anniversary. The director is Don Bluth and he is probably also the most known name attached to his project as he is a lifetime achievement award winner at the Annies, the animated equivalent to the Oscars. This is the story of a little cat, the one mentioned in the title, and he causes all kinds of mayhem at home and when he has to justify his actions he is mad and leaves for the city, but he quickly realizes the going gets tough there and even if he makes a bunch of new friends, ultimately there is nothing he wants more than coming back home. Animation is fairly decent, even if it could have been older as well looking at the visual side. Music is fine, even if none of the songs really felt too catchy. Voice acting is good, the story a bit on the generic side, which is why it comes short with the attempt at emotion they are going for, one of the most crucial deficits overall here I guess- Eventually, I still think it was a good watch because of the likable and cute title character. Greatness is never achieved, but it's worth seeing at least once for lovers of old animated (short) films. Thumbs up.

Gee, Don Bluth's First Independent Film!

Author: Michael Igafo-Te'o from Jackson, Michigan, U.S.A.
17 June 2013

Hi! This is Animation Hobbyist Michael Aaron Igafo-Te'o and I Have Graduated from Jackson High School and I Want to do a review on Sullivan Bluth Studios' Debut Film -- It All Started when Don Bluth, Don's colleagues (John Pomeroy and Gary Goldman) along with 17 Animation Artists leaving Walt Disney Animation Studios' old animation lot (on Alameda Drive) in Burbank to finish "Banjo the Woodpile Cat" in The Garage at Don Bluth's former home in Ventura, California after working on this short since 1975 and the film's success kick-started Don Bluth Productions' independent careers working on Box Office Favorites from Don Bluth and his Team, ranging from "The Secret of N.I.M.H." to A Bundle of Animation Tutorial DVDs in 2009 when Don started "Don Bluth Films" in Scottsdale, Arizona as "Banjo the Woodpile Cat" was released on 2-Disc DVD for the first time in Don Bluth's history! I Remember first seeing that short on VHS Tape when I was a little boy in 1998! (After I Was Born in September 9th, 1994!)