IMDb > "Where the Heart Is" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Where the Heart Is" More at IMDbPro »

Well written and comfortable viewing

Author: walfordqueen
7 November 2005

Where The Heart Is has always been well written and a comfortable Sunday night drama. It's a shame that the wonderful Peggy Snow played by Pam Ferris is no longer there though, I did feel the programme had lost something after she left. The show focuses on the lives of the people living in Skelthwaite so it does have a soapy aspect to it, you could say that there's too many soap like programmes on TV today but this is just mixing the drama with a soap aspect to make it seem more real. I recommend this to anyone who wants a cosy Sunday evening infront of their tele and doesn't want to watch something that is going to tax their brain to a great extent.

Where the heart isn't !!

Author: Sulla-2 from United Kingdom
3 August 2005

I do like this feel good programme which is great for a Sunday night Prime time between 8pm and 9pm. Although it is a bit of a soap, every episode self contained. At 8.30pm everything is doom and gloom problems abound. However by 8.55pm. all problems have disappeared and everything is fine and dandy. The series is set in the small West Yorkshire fictional town of Skelthwaite. Almost all of the regular cast either work in the local health centre or a toilet roll factory. Almsot all of the regular adult male cast play for the towns rugby club. There has been a complete change of cast since the first series started. The theme song, heard over the opening titles is that this a a great little place to live in and that Home is where the heart is. Unfortunately as all of the original cast have left and regular cast leave all the while it would appear to be where the heart isn't !!

There's A BIG Difference!!

Author: star54 (scarlett0@home.com) from Canada
2 October 1999

There's a plain and simple fact here: This is a good show!! It is a soap opera, and it is good. Yes, I never thought I would say this about a soap but this real. It is a real show about real people with real lives and it's normal!! That's the difference with British soap actors and American ones: The British ones are actors, the American ones are stars! ACTOR-STAR they are not the same thing. While American soaps(shows,movies etc.) focus on how perfect someone looks and how much money the show makes, British shows care about quality, both dramatic and visual. "Where The Heart Is", is a wonderful example and I highly recommend searching your local listings for it. Another great UK show is "Ballykissangel"......A-C-T-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!

Do I detect a pattern?

Author: Rio-7 from Washington
31 August 2000

'Coronation Street' is a good example of a long-running British drama that has been on United Kingdom TV's longer than any American soap. Other drama series like 'Heartbeat' and 'Ballykissangel' are right up there, and 'Where the Heart Is' is on its way to joining the ranks.

In only its fourth season, WTHI has quickly become one of the favorites. Now the show is popular in Canada, a few networks there have picked up last season to show. Unfortunately WTHI is not shown in the states, but I got my hands on a video taping of the second season. And there is no comparison.

WTHI is a great British dramatic series about real families, real problems, real people and real love in a small Yorkshire town. You can share the lives and loves of sisters-in-law Peggy Snow and Ruth Goddard. Some have called this series "sugar-coated" but don't knock it until you have seen it.

The British must know something we Americans do not, many programs they show are based on real life, not what the ideal kind of person is. Imperfections are not looked upon in the media. I think we should all take a cue. And watch this show if you can, I'd move over to England just to see it if I could.

Is this available on DVD?

Author: Marknrthwls from United States
31 December 2006

We lived in London when this premiered and we watched it faithfully the entire time we were there. It was a bit sappy but so good-natured and it became a Sunday night ritual with us. In fact, when I returned to London on business a year so later, I tuned in and happened to see the episode in which Peg died. Despite the time difference, I was seriously considering calling home to report this terrible event. I've never seen this for sale anywhere. It would be such a great souvenir from our time in London to have a couple of the early episodes. Are any early episodes available on DVD? Maybe in the UK but not in the US? Does anyone know?

Memories Linger

Author: seadevil from Chilliwack BC Canada
22 January 2002

Peggy Snow (Pam Ferris) is dead and no longer a member of the cast of "Where the Heart Is". Just as in life, when someone dies they and their memory do not instantly disappear, they continue to impact the lives of those left behind. The lives of the characters in this English soap continue to be impacted and affected by Peggy's death and the adds depth and realism to this series. The cast are not all beautiful, nor are they rich, but they are real people and you can't help caring about them. A wonderful show.