IMDb > "CatDog" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Wonderfully Underrated

Author: themartyr from United States
5 February 2005

Why in the world does Catdog get such disrespect? People said that it's the reason that Nick went crashing down, no it's not, the reason behind that is because of Rugrats adding 5 million characters. In my mind, Catdog was Nick's last great struggle. Some of the humor was so great, and so unique unlike current shows playing on Nick. Most of the characters were unique to Nick, where as they usually play over the same personalitiess. Catdog was smart, but not too smart for children, it made sense, but could be silly. It had its own unique town and gave you curious questions. Like the episode where Eddie tried to take over the city "You shoulda seen your faces, you were all scared, especially Cliff. 'Hey I'm Cliff and I'm big and tough.'" Lube was one of the characters who was a complete moron that made it funny, and the episode where he fell in love with the rich girl was completely sweet.

I know many people hated this show. I didn't. It's one of my favorite Nickelodeon shows actually

Author: segabeat from no need to know
15 January 2005

Back when I watched Nickelodeon, I saw some commercials of CatDog way back in early 1998, it was quite interesting. As I saw more advertisement for CatDog later on, I grew more interested in the show. Finally, when it was set on air, I watched a couple of its episodes and they were good. I've been watching Catdog episodes all the way to its bitter end, when the show got canceled in 2001. Today, (as far as I know) It only appears on Nick every once in a while. I wish they released a DVD set for CatDog fans, like myself. Instead, they only released 2 VHS tapes of 5 episodes back in 1999. I will try to look for them as best I can.

Generally speaking, CatDog involves a cat and dog attached to each other. They encounter funny moments and stupid adventures. CatDog wasn't strong on humor, but it was good on voice acting, and the character presentation.

This was a very good show, in my opinion. I consider it a nice follow up the Nick classic, Rocko's Modern Life. Many people don't think so, but I believe it sort of does.

Not to mention, the music in the show is pretty good.

CatDog, a bad show? I don't think so!

Author: sailor_mmsis from United States
14 March 2005

I have seen WAY too many people give "CatDog" a bad rap. People have even called it the worst show that has ever aired on Nickelodeon. However, I would like to make a formal statement: these people are wrong and have no clue what they're talking about.

I admit, I used to be among the many who hated "CatDog." I, too, thought it was disgusting, and only for the reason that the main characters are a pair of conjoined twins-- a cat on one end, a dog on the other. "Eww!" I said. "How do they go to the bathroom?!" It seemed pointless and stupid.

But then, thanks to my little sisters, I started watching the cartoon on a semi-regular basis. My interest in it grew. I saw little jokes and details you had to watch closely for. I developed a taste for the absurd drawing style. I began to get a feel for the sense of humor "CatDog" had, and I liked it: it was very different than what I was used to, even more subtle at times, but nonetheless just as wacky as most other funny cartoons. I developed a sort of sympathy for Cat and Dog-- two people forced to live with each other, putting up with each other's antics, and being scapegoated, bullied, and taken advantage of on a constant basis... just because they happened to be born differently. It's a situation they can't help. Cat and Dog themselves represent two different views on such a situation: Cat is dissatisfied and tries to change things for the two of them, but Dog is happy with things just the way they are. When Cat's plans backfire, Dog is there to support him. When Dog's optimism runs out, Cat's leadership helps them back on their feet. It's a symbiotic relationship in the figurative and literal sense. No matter how strange it looks at first glance, Cat and Dog cannot be without each other.

For kids watching this show, "CatDog" is a good tool for teaching them what it's like for people who are different in any way. It also teaches kids who are slightly different themselves how to make the best of their lives. Cat and Dog live their lives just like everyone else and try to stay happy, even if no one respects them. The show teaches that, in the end, self-respect and support from your friends and loved ones are all that you need to live a happy life, no matter how different you are.

"CatDog" is not meant to be a gross-out show. Yes, there are some gross jokes, but they are minimal. The focus is mostly on Cat and Dog's lives and the problems they face, whether with each other or with other people. If a gross joke happens to fit the situation, the writers will slip one in when it's funny. Admittedly, "CatDog" is not a laugh-a-minute show, but do all cartoons have to be like that? There's no unwritten law about what makes a cartoon funny. How about a cartoon that makes you think about the jokes, and the situations? Now there's an idea, huh? And really, who cares how they go to the bathroom! It's a cartoon, for crying out loud. Asking how CatDog goes to the bathroom is like asking how Strong Bad (from types e-mails with boxing gloves on. WHO CARES? It's a cartoon. Why should we worry about that? I hold this show very near and dear to my heart not only because I find it so different and original, but also because it's so under-appreciated and spit upon. How very ironic that a show, whose premise is about a pair of characters who are hated because they're different, is hated because the show itself is different. Give "CatDog" a chance like I did, and let it grow on you. You won't regret it.

Decent Show

Author: The_Wagon from United States
9 December 2006

By this time, most of the greatest shows of Nickelodeon had either been cancelled(Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life) or went kind of downhill(Rugrats). The best thing on at this time was The Angry Beavers. Then, Catdog came along, and lasted 3 years. It was decent show, but it wasn't Rocko's Modern Life. It had some good episodes, and there were laughs and stuff, but the show's just nothing great. I liked it, but not many people do. It's not as crappy as people say. I think that most people don't like it because it's not as good as Rocko. There hasn't been a cartoon for kids better than Rocko in the past 10 years. There have been great shows like Spongebob and all that, but nothing is as good as Rocko. CatDog gets a 7/10.

Excellent show I grew up on.

Author: Claudia McCarey from Australia
30 May 2008

I use to watched Catdog every afternoon years ago and frankly I still love it.Later on,I read peoples comments on IMDb for how underrated the show was,which I agreed with.

But the problem is that it's mostly the Americans who hated Catdog and claim that it was the reason Nickelodeon was doomed,which is actually far from the truth.Catdog was a very creative,original and humorous type of animated show in good ways.It wasn't dark or gross,but it was decent and watchable.The characters like Cat and Dog had interesting and hilarious adventures(Dog was my most favourite character and still is),but there were times when the other characters in the cartoon were plain annoying sometimes,like the Greasers and the Lola bird,but that doesn't mean that I hated the show,there was just too much of them in some episodes. I mean,what the bloody hell has America come to?First they bashed Catdog,and then they protested Borat.Come on,Borat was a smart comedy,and as a matter of fact,the actor,Sascha Baron Cohen is a Jew himself,so really just chill out,Borat's not real,just like Catdog.

But I do understand how bad Nickelodeon has gotten ever since Rugrats came along,and then new shows started airing and then I had to rely on reruns of Catdog and Rocko's Modern Life(also a brilliant cartoon I use to watch)and tape them as possible before they're off the air.

It's a pity Catdog is not being produced anymore,since it was always a marvellous show(to me).

the attention to detail is flawless

Author: MeowWoof from usa
2 September 2003

If you want to watch something fun, wacky, creative, that is thought provoking and interesting then CatDog the cartoon on Nickelodeon might be for you.

Two brothers one an uptight, neat and tidy smart feline, the other a carefree, dirty, ditsy canine, share the same body. It's a shame this cartoon is so under-rated. CatDog are 2 very inspiring characters showing us all that if you work hard and don't give up you can live a healthy happy life no matter what weaknesses you have and how different you might be to others around you. It's heartfelt showing of unconditional love is amazing. CatDog proves that no matter how day vs night personalities can be, that with understanding, friendship and love, 2 loved ones can get along and work together. This cartoon gives a very emotional look, at what characters can go through with a one of a kind feature. Since CatDog are the stars, viewers feel empathy towards these brothers when other characters pick on them. It's like Charlie Brown. I highly recommend this cartoon for anyone that loves social satire, and very creative story telling. The detail to this cartoon is incredible and can be enjoyed by all ages!

We are the Geekers...

Author: DirectorsCut19 from United States
22 August 2005

This show is okay, not the heap of trash I expected it to be from other user comments. The song is great, and the stories are funny. But there's too much of The Greasers. WAY TOO MUCH. People should had watched some more episodes before describing it as garbage and putting it down, especially anyone at the Jump The Shark web page. Anyway, if you had never heard of CatDog, it's that cartoon about a cat and a dog put together by a potion and was raised by some odd parents, not to be confused with that cartoon with the odd parents name. The show didn't catch on, it was hated by most, and was canceled before 2 episodes could air. You should watch it and give it a shot, it's an okay cartoon, it might not be as good as the old Nicktoons like Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, and the old Doug, but it's worth watching anyway like Invader Zim or Yakkity Yak.

Grade: B

Author: blonde_ambition from United Kingdom
18 July 2005

Since this show started when I was about ten, I've watched it and always very much enjoyed it. Though it does seem to have gathered a lot of bad reviews. But I do believe that a lot of people find the concept a little creepy. It's about two friends, a cat named Cat, and a dog named Dog (how imaginative) who are joined together. A cat and a dog kind of joined in the middle, so God only knows how they use the toilet. Anyway, CatDog is a very enjoyable show and I only wish it would be shown on TV more. It only seems to be on VERY occasionally, for very short runs, after it was cancelled in 2001 or around there. But should it come on, it is worth watching. It's highly amusing, and frequently funny, and yes, very odd. But look at that as a good thing, and it's a great show. And the guys doing the voices, Jim Cummings (Cat) and Tom Kenny (Dog), work very well together, and are a great team. I do believe the two of them have worked together several times. Overall, CatDog is a strange, but entertaining show (with a one of the best theme tunes) and deserves to be seen, so enjoy!

Another one of my favorite Nick-toons!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
25 May 2004

I really liked CatDog a lot because this was one of my other favorite Nickelodeon cartoons that I liked. At first when I saw the sneak preview episode of this show after the 1998 Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards, I thought it was pretty interesting and funny, other people thought it first at was a little crazy but then it became popular for a while and really liked the show! I thought Jim Cummings did a great job at doing the voice of Cat and so did Tom Kenny doing the voice of Dog in this show about two conjoined brothers that live with each other along with their roommate mouse, Winslow. Every time when CatDog is out they always get chased and beaten up by The Greaser Dogs! Or sometimes when they are out Rancid Rabbit tries to offer CatDog something or make them famous. I really like this show even though most of my friends don't like it. This show premiered on Nickelodeon back in April 1998 and ended May 2001. Another good memorable cartoon.

Great cartoon

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
3 July 2000

CatDog is a great cartoon. With some of the old good Nick Toons (Rocko, Ren and Stimpy) stuck in reruns, this brings much relief especially with horrible shows like SpongeBob SquarePants on the Nickelodeon schedule. CatDog is very humorous and one of the best Nick toons.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]