IMDb > The Witch's Cat (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Witch's Cat More at IMDbPro »

Something Nice to Say

Author: boblipton from New York City
31 October 2010

Really, when you say "If you've seen one, you've seen 'em all" you're talking about Mighty Mouse. Paul Terry had been producing mostly mediocre cartoons for thirty years by this point and the kiddies liked MM, because it was small guys beating up big guys. His crews did a competent job each time, but how many changes could they ring on the story? Mice frolic, cat or things like cats come to eat them, MM shows up singing "Here I come to save the day!" Biff biff, bam bam and it's over. Usually it's small variations on beating-up gags and the occasional bit of Pearl Pureheart being strapped to the saw in the lumber mill. Worth a three or four out of ten for competent handling of the story for the umpteenth time, and if you're a MM fan and don't like my attitude, my apologies for your hurt feeling.

In this one, it's a cat looking to eat mice, accompanied by a witch on a broomstick for the Hallowe'en season. There's something about the simple line drawing of the witch's face that makes me think she's a caricature of some one. And then there's the color choices...

It may seem odd to call your attention to this, but it is worth noting that the whole thing takes place at night, and the choices made in terms of color and lighting are very nice -- the usual Terry competence applied to the same story. Notice how the backgrounding is very dark and the items are defined simply by color, chroma and brightness. Except for that witch's face.

It's not much to hang six minutes on, but it stops this cartoon from being an absolute yawn,