IMDb > Office Space (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 63:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Best Movie I've Ever Seen

Author: Joe Enos ( from Phoenix, AZ, USA
11 July 2004

Incredibly true-to-life story about life at work. Anyone who's ever worked in a large office will find at least one thing, probably more, that they can relate to.

Look at the characters: From the receptionist with the annoying high-pitched voice, to the clueless management, to the soft-spoken guy with no backbone (or so you think), this looks more like a documentary than fiction.

The daily situations of the office environment, including paper jams in the printer, static electricity, and slow computers, are hilarious for some reason when they happen to the people in the movie.

Throw in some great acting, a good story, and the humor of Mike Judge, and you'll find one of the best movies ever made, hilarious from start to finish.

"Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta"

Author: Twins65 from Lindenhurst, IL
12 February 2004

You'll be wearing' your "Oh Face" after viewing OFFICE SPACE.

This one goes out to everybody who dies a daily death in a "cube", and I think you all know who your are. You can't wait to get out at lunch, head over to some assembly-line crap-food franchise like "Chotchkie's" for some extreme fajitas, and try to make it back in time before the Bill Lumberghs of the house bust your chops for taking too long of a lunch. MMMM-KAAAYYYY! This movie even made "gangsta' rap" listenable, which I thought would never be possible.

Best Scene: Peter dreaming an oiled-up Lumbergh having sex with Joanna, and pausing for a quick gulp from his coffee mug.

Mr. Judge (and 20th Century Fox), I'm still holding my red stapler here, hoping in vain that you'll finally release this on a special edition DVD. Please include the 1991 short on it as well, WHEN you do.

This is the funniest movie of the last ten years, but of course, it failed commercially, and Mike Judge will probably never do another live action film because of that. So thank you America for supporting crap like THE HAUNTING, MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE, and WILD, WILD WEST back in '99, and letting OS die at the box office.

Unique comedy experience. HE-larious!

Author: Manthorpe from Austin, TX
14 February 2004

Easily one of my favorite comedies, and sort of a source of medicine for the pains of working in an office with complete idiots. Ahh, cubicle life. Anyone who's ever worked in a corporate office can relate to this film on some level, and can probably swear that they know someone exactly like one of the characters depicted here. Mike Judge really captures the aspect that makes office life so miserable, which is without a doubt the characters that you must deal with that your personal life would normally exclude. There is no question that he must've had his own bout with the way of the office bitch, as he shows that he knows it all too well. Out of the comedies I've seen, I can most identify with this one.

Kudos to the casting department for putting together a unique group of people to portray the perfect characters for the story. Peter, Samir, Michael Bolton, and especially the Milton and Lumbergh characters, are all a true treat to watch and never get old upon reviewings.

A true comedic classic, but probably for more of a niche audience. Having never worked in an office before, you may not enjoy it as much as others...but then again, I could be wrong and is still worth checking out. But if you have or do work in an office, this movie is a must see!

Office Space has a special place in my heart for others reasons too. Parts of it were filmed within walking distance of my apartment, and my girlfriend lives in Peter's apartments from the movie, which is also right down the street! That just adds even more to the fact that I can identify with this film 100%, especially considering I drive the same way to work as Peter did! Too weird.

Um, yeah, go see it.

As is sure to be the saying by now, anyone who has ever worked in an office should get a pretty good kick out of this one.

Author: Michael DeZubiria ( from Luoyang, China
2 April 2001

Every aggravating thing about working in an office, from the traffic on the way to work to that damn copier, is in this movie, and dealt with in ways that we've all wanted to, at some point or another. Well, except for the traffic, of course. The traffic remains undefeated. Besides telling a highly amusing story about office workers who are just fed up with it all, Office Space is full of other little comments on society, such as the way the film points out the sheer goofiness of geeky white guys who listen to hardcore rap music. The film presents a heavily exaggerated version of the typical office, but underneath that exaggeration, the depiction is very accurate. You have the fairly timid but passive aggressive superior, Bill Lumbergh, portrayed hilariously by Gary Cole, the repressive office cubicles, the mumbly guy that kind of weirds everyone out, and of course, the disillusioned office employee who just doesn't care anymore.

Ron Livingston fulfills this last role very well, being very open about his dislike of his job and his intentions to do as little as possible for as long as he still gets paid, but it is the weird guy that really gets laughs consistently, whose name, in this case, is Milton. This guy's hilarious situation involves having been laid off years before without knowing because no one told him, because he still receives a paycheck due to a glitch in the payroll system, and whose primary concerns seem to be the location of his cubicle, his red stapler, and the fact that last year, he didn't receive a piece of cake at the office party. The way that this guy's situation gets consistently worse and the way that he is pushed further and further toward the edge of sanity is one of the funniest things about this movie. And we can't forget the Indian guy, Samir, whose grammatically flawed exclamations also provide for an endless source of comedic entertainment.

Jennifer Aniston plays a small role as Peter Gibbons' (Livingston) love interest, as well as that of a waitress who is also sick and tired of the ridiculousness of her job (such as a specified minimum of pieces of `flair' that employees must wear to work). Ron's home life is another thing that is parodied in this high quality comedy, as the shortcomings of living in an average apartment are clearly and side-splittingly portrayed. Clearly, the office scenes are by far the funniest of the film, and the eventual criminal plot to embezzle a huge sum of money from the company and take up a lifestyle of not really doing anything, despite the fact that it is also very well done, can be largely overlooked because of the sheer hilarity of the rest of the film. This is excellent stuff from the famous creator of the endlessly amusing Beavis & Butt-Head who, with Office Space, has further proved that he is just the type of guy who knows what's funny.

Whaaaaaat's happening?

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
30 December 2001

I must admit,I did not think much of Office Space when I first saw it in the theater,but I've seen it several times since,and I have got to say it has grown on me quite a lot.This is an appropriate tribute to people like me everywhere who hate their jobs.I am not a big fan of rap music,but the rap score somehow makes the film even more appealing.The plot is hilarious,the characters are hysterical,and it's just a fun movie.If you hate your job want to feel at least a little better about it,this film is for you.

Um yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of rate this one a 9

Author: fivefids from United States
9 February 2004

If you work in a cube, and love satire, this is your movie! Those who would slam it probably do not get it and that's fine but those of us who do will see it multiple times. This movie does for office workers what "This Is Spinal Tap" did for musicians. That means it may not be a movie for everyone but for those chosen ones, it means getting together with friends a couple of times a year to enjoy a classic and quote it constantly on those other 363 days when they're not watching it! If you are a cube dweller, then I need you to go ahead and check out this movie, uh that would be great. I too rated it a 9 because of the gangster-rap soundtrack. Save for that, I would've gone ahead and rated it a 10.

Workplace satire sans the trite cliches!

Author: TeaBunny from NYC, USA
17 March 2000

Hooray for Mike Judge! I didn't think there would be a way to make fun of "office life" without merely being a living Dilbert strip and using all of the same tired old workplace jokes. Kids in the Hall did it, and now Mike Judge has done it also. I am surprised to see Jennifer Aniston in a movie this entertaining! The use of hardcore gangsta rap as the soundtrack to the boys' underhanded deeds and violent ass-kicking of office equipment is hilarious and brilliant. Gary Cole's droning delivery and poor Milton's despondent mumbling doesn't get old... in fact it stays very funny. We all know someone who obsesses a little TOO much about their chair, or how many paper clips they have on their desk... and Milton makes you feel a bit of sad sympathy, especially when he doesn't get any cake. Peter's cronies Michael and Samir are classic software engineer guys that could work at any company, and Peter's construction-worker neighbor (Oswald!) is a refreshing change from the white-collar drones that infest his day. In the end Peter discovers this is the way to go... fresh air, hard labor and a bright orange vest in the perfect antidote to ummm... yeah... that would be great.... this movie is great, whether you're an office worker or not. It makes you think about all the millions and millions of damn cubicles out there... and all the people that fill them. How many of them feel suffocated and hopeless? If this film makes even ONE person take a day off and go fishing, it's done it's job.

One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made!

Author: towelie2002 from Melbourne, Australia
9 February 2004

I honestly don't think there's enough good things to say about Office Space. It has everything a great film needs: A great story, great acting, great jokes, great soundtrack, great everything! Hell, we even get to like the characters, as with most films no one cares. Even though this is a comedy, it actually deals with a very big issue: disillusionment. And most comedies of this type don't do that sort of thing.

The disillusioned Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) has an office job at Innitech that he really hates to the point where he confesses that everyday is the worse day of this life because of it. He has two disillusioned friends there: Michael Bolton (David Herman), who gets a lot of harassment due to him having the same name as the singer, and Samir (Ajay Naidu), an Indian immigrant who just wants to keep his job. Two other men who work with them are Tom (Richard Riehle), a man who wants to make a `Jump To Conclusions Mat' to get rich, and Milton (Stephen Root), a mumbling man who can't stand up for himself. Their boss is the evil Bill Lumbergh (Gary Cole), who makes them work on the weekend and torments everyone, especially Milton. Peter loves Joanna (Jennifer Aniston), a waitress at a restaurant he often goes to that he loves, but can't ask her out due to having no confidence and a pushy girlfriend named Anne (Alexandra Wentworth). After being hypnotized by a hypnotist that dies before he can complete the process, Peter gains all the confidence he needs to decide to not quit his job, but just not to go, ask Joanna out and leave Anne. But surprisingly, instead of getting fired, he gets promoted, while his hardworking friends get fired. After this, they decide to get their revenge by putting a computer virus in Innitech's computers to slowly make millions, but it goes horribly wrong.

I love this movie. I really do. Even when I first show the trailer for this in cinema about 5 or 6 years ago when I was about 11 years old I thought it'd be a good movie, and how right was I? Beyond 100% right! All the actors do a great job in this, especially Ron Livingston, who should've got a lot of acclaim for this film. I honestly hope his career becomes really successful someday. I also loved Peter's neighbor Lawrence (Diedrich Bader), who is hilarious. There are other great comedies out there, like Wayne's World (1992) and Joe Dirt (2001), but this is just movie magic! Director Mike Judge is a comic genius! Who thought that the toilet humour of Beavis and Butthead could be beaten by office humour? I hope everyone involved in this film continues to make great films like this.

Oh, and just before I finish this review, I have to say one thing. Even though I love this film to death, I honestly hope they don't make a sequel. This is just one of those rare films that are perfect, and I don't want an inferior sequel(s) to ruin this. A sequel should only be done if it's just as funny (if funnier) than this. And besides, the plot has no where to go, so they should leave this alone. The best way I can sum this film up: A brilliant classic!

Rating: 5/5!!!

"Uh, Yeaaah, Peter...What's Happening?..."

Author: jhclues from Salem, Oregon
4 March 2001

There's something about a study of life in a `cubicle' to which just about everyone can relate; at least everyone who has ever had to get up every day, go to work and punch a time clock, then go home and wait to do it all over again the next day. In `Office Space,' writer/director Mike Judge (the guy who gave us `Beavis and Butthead') captures the essence of the work-a-day world, in this case in an office setting, though it could be on any job anywhere, from the largest conglomerate to the smallest business concern; anywhere a `corporate structure' is in place and employed. The subtle humor of Judge's vision is funny, and often downright hilarious, and all with very little exaggeration of the way things really are, from the weekly `motivational' talks from the boss, to staff meetings, corporate `mission statements' and the protocol of cover sheets and memos, all of which-- as portrayed here-- have a sterling ring of truth to them. The central character of Judge's story is a guy named Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston), a software analyst for `Initech,' who after working with a therapist finds himself in something of a transcendental state of mind, whereupon he divulges to a pair of consultants-- `efficiency experts' sent in to streamline the company's operation-- that he does only about `fifteen minutes of real work' a week, due to the very structure (or lack thereof) of the company itself. And his refreshingly honest candor in outlining his job description soon has quite an unexpected effect on his life, as well as that of a couple of co-workers. Judge perceptively expands the satire to encompass facets of Peter's life outside the office, as well, which gives the audience even more with which to identify, like driving to work in bumper to bumper freeway traffic that has slowed to a stop-- in Peter's lane-- while the cars in the next lane going flying by; and when he changes into THAT lane, IT comes to a standstill while the cars in the lane he just left start to whiz on by. It's an application of Murphy's Law that -- while certainly nothing new-- works well within the context of this particular story, in which the humor is derived from emphasizing the annoying, mundane things that happen to us all on a daily basis. Like getting in the shortest line at the supermarket and taking longer than anyone else to get checked out. Livingston gives a notable performance, giving Peter that sense of the `everyman' who'd like nothing better than to break free of the rigors of the 8 to 5 existence. He brings an affable presence to the screen that perfectly communicates what Judge is attempting to say, and does it in such a way that it validates Peter's being selected as `Champion of the Cause' as it were. Also turning in memorable performances are Stephen Root (a terrific character actor), as Milton, a guy whose very existence seems to be a study in suffering abuse and degradation; and Gary Cole, as Peter's boss, Bill Lumbergh, whose impudent, laconic methods of intimidation, delivered in such a droll manner, make him the boss everybody loves to hate. The supporting cast includes Jennifer Aniston as Joanna, the waitress with a minimum of `flare' who has trouble `expressing' herself, according to her boss; Ajay Naidu (Samir); David Herman (Michael Bolton); Richard Riehle (Tom); Joe Bays (Dom); John C. McGinley (Bob Slydell); Paul Wilson (Bob Porter) and Diedrich Bader (Lawrence). Reminiscent of the world portrayed in the `Dilbert' comic strip, `Office Space' works because it effectively puts real people in real situations, and brings you into contact with some characters you're going to recognize; I guarantee that no matter what you do to live, thrive and survive, you've run into these people, worked for them, and alongside them. It's a case of art reflecting reality, and to Judge's credit he's succeeded in making a funny movie that really hits close to home, without resorting to any gross or infantile humor to do it. It's a film that simply puts the `corporate experience' in the spotlight and gives you a chance to laugh at `the boss,' and maybe even a little bit at yourself along the way. I rate this one 8/10.

Clever Little Comedy

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
14 November 2007

It still boggles my mind that this classic working-person's comedy was overlooked at the box office. Unlike today's dumbed-down, unfunny comedy-schlock, Office Space's script was carefully written before the camera began shooting. Based on his Milton shorts, Mike Judge wrote and directed Office Space and did a great job. The film is cleverly written, nicely plotted and paced, and holds interest even after repeated viewings (something I can not say for most comedies).

Peter (Ron Livingston) and his friends have a permanent case of 'the Mondays.' Stuck in dead end programming jobs in an uncaring corporate environment, with a series of ridiculous, annoying and dysfunctional co-workers, Peter has motivation problems. At the request of his equally aggravating girlfriend, he subjects himself to occupational therapy via hypnotism, but just as he reaches a deep trance state, the hypnotist drops dead, and Peter is left in a state of blissful lack of inhibitions. And as things begin to go wrong, they actually get better - through the films twisted (but oh so truthful) logic.

Ron Livingston leads a nicely cast group of actors, including an early appearance by the now-famous Jennifer Aniston. Diedrich Bader is especially memorable for his heroic portrayal of Lawrence, the next-door neighbor and guru. And Ron Coleman and Stephen Root are wonderful.

I have seen Office Space at least ten times, and it, remarkably, does not get old. The recent tendency to dumb-down comedic film exhibits contempt for its own audience. A return to comedies that don't punish people for thinking would make me a fan of the genre, and this would be a great example to draw from.

Page 1 of 63:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]