IMDb > Never Been Kissed (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Never Been Kissed

Never Been Kissed More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 35: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Cute/Girly Movie to Be Taken with a Grain of Salt

Author: Chefeetaboopers from United States
17 February 2013

Never Been Kissed is a cute little movie with a silly plot- A newspaper editor named Josie Gellar, played by Drew Barrymore, dreaming of becoming a reporter is given a story to go undercover and to write about the high school scene.

Having been a nerd and taunted a lot in high school, she sees this as a second chance to be "cool". With a makeover by her brother, she enters the high school scene. Her brother starts to get excited and decides to go undercover as well. Josie manages to become friends with both the popular and geeky kids and her second chance in high school becomes the life she always dreamed of.

She becomes well liked in the school and starts to fall for her teacher.

As school life and fun as a teen starts to get to her head, she begins to get closer to her deadline and must make a decision between blowing her cover and possibly dating the teacher or simply just writing her story and being done with high school forever.

And to top it all off, she hasn't been kissed and would love for her teacher to be her first kiss. This leads to complications.

If you're into girly movies and high school movies and feel good movies, you will LOVE Never Been Kissed.

I was a big nerd in high school who wasn't really popular and thus, I hated high school like Josie did. While I wouldn't want a second chance, it was fun seeing Josie relive her high school days and having fun.

It's one of those movies you really don't have to take too serious mainly cause the plot is kind of unrealistic.

Other than that, you'll enjoy the movie. It's got a "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" feel to it!

Good fun

Author: yosofine from Italy
16 December 2012

An entertaining movie. I found myself clinging to the edge of my seat, eager to see what would happen next. Drew's performance is hilarious and adorable. As an audience it is impossible not to empathize with Josie's embarrassment, sadness and excitement. She shares great chemistry with her teacher (Michael Vartan) who is also well played and a likable character. Guy (Jeremy Jordan) is insanely attractive, making the movie even more fun to watch!

Some may call this a cliché story, the loser girl in high school becomes cool and catches the eye of the most popular guy, but I found it quite unpredictable. First of all, she does not do that typical transitional makeover that changes everything, her outfits remain just as ludicrous throughout the film. Secondly, although she may find Guy attractive, he does not end up being her famous first kiss, which was what I had expected.

Overall: it's one of those movies that put you in a good mood. Watch it!

Never Been Kissed

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
1 January 2012

I had heard the title many times from various sources, and I had always known who the leading actress was, so when I got the opportunity to finally see it, I did, from director Raja Gosnell (Home Alone 3, Big Momma's House). Basically twenty five year old Josie Geller (Drew Barrymore) is a clever but at the same time simple and clumsy copy editor for the Chicago Sun Times, and she has ambitions to make it as a real reporter. She gets the chance to achieve this with her boss, the editor Rigfort (Pretty Woman director Garry Marshall) sending undercover in a high school to see what the modern teenagers are like. So at South Glen South High School she poses as a student, but with her simple ways she is instantly looked on as the accident prone brainy geek, and this does not do her any favours as in her real life Josie has never been kissed romantically. Her brother Rob (David Arquette) does his best to make her over, and soon enough he poses as a student in the high school himself, and the siblings both find love interests, in Josie's case she has feelings for her bachelor teacher Sam Coulson (Michael Vartan). The deadline for making her story is drawing closer, and the risk of blowing her cover is becoming even more large as her personal feelings towards the school inhabitants are getting in the way. In the end, even though her true identity is revealed, Josie does manage to write a very concise and informative story about her experiences acting like and being teenagers, and of course, with the help of her story, she manages to get her true love first kiss with Sam. Also starring The Wicker Man's Leelee Sobieski as Aldys, The Grinch's Molly Shannon as Anita, John C. Reilly as Gus, Marley Shelton as Kristin, Spider-Man's Octavia Spencer as Cynthia, Jessica Alba as Kirsten and James Franco as Jason. Barrymore does give a charming performance being constantly clumsy and trying her best to fit in with the crowd, Arquette gets his time as her odd but likable brother, and the other cast members are fine as well, the person pretending to be something else for some reason is not all that original, and the same goes for the love story element, but there are some likable and funny moments in this alright romantic comedy. Okay!

# 49 : Before 17 again (dvd)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
18 July 2011

There's an American trend of having adults going back to high school.

As the movie illustrates, the basics stays the same from 1955, 1985, 1999 or 2007: the nerds, the playboy, the sportsman, the brainless chicks and the famous prom-night. In France, we have the same people (i was a nerd) but no rites: high school finishes with the exam: the administration puts up the result and it's the vacations: no prom night, no ceremony, welcome in the solitary adult life!

I admit that i chose it because it stars Jessica. But as it counts for her first movie, she says only a very few lines (like James Franco). But she is perfect as the brainless chick: she dresses flashy and when the movie slows down, she wakes you up.

I wouldn't have bet on Barrymore but she gives a solid interpretation and embodies a totally honest story: being a nerd is difficult, it's good to be accepted but when it happens, it's not about losing you soul and your beliefs.

In conclusion, this movie can be kissed and offers the best original end credits!

Should have been called Almost been kissed?

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
13 January 2011

Never Been Kissed tells the story about a 25 year old named Josie Gellar(Drew Barrowmore from MUSIC AND LYRICS)who poses as a 17 year old high school student(the girl didn't even look like a high school student)so that she can write an article on todays high school students for the Chicago Sun paper. Of course she falls in love with a teacher named Sam(MOTHER IN LAW'S Micheal VARTAN)who teaches English in the movie. Of course she herself was classified as a nerd back when she was 17 and she gets to see someone else follow in her footsteps.

The film wasn't that bad I liked some parts of the movie and I am not really a fan of Drew Barromore I liked her in 50 first dates and she was quite OK in Music & Lyrics. The music was alright.

If you liked How to lose a guy in 10 days, She's the man then you will like this.

Eh it's okay

Author: mdangelo-7 from United States
6 September 2009

My main complaint about the movie is the character Josie. I found myself watching a movie with a main character that was totally obnoxious. I'm sure that the director was aiming for the audience to feel sympathetic to the character but I just found her so pathetic that it drove me insane. I couldn't help but laugh at her because I didn't understand how some one could be so clueless and socially awkward. Was it supposed to be funny? Or was it just terribly corny acting? Both? Who knows. I'm not sure what the director was trying to accomplish.

I only watch it to see a young James Franco and Jessica Alba. Not worth watching in my opinion but who knows people actually liked it so figure it out for yourself.

5.7 ?

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
8 August 2009

Never Been kissed is a great film delight. Because some people could actually relate to what Josie Geller(Drew Barrymore). Though I can't, Never Been KKissed is a film that seems real. I don't know if the kids in 99 actually used words like Roofus or any of that crap. Because that doesn't even sound cool. Roofus actually sounds like a dogs name, so I don't find that cool. Never been kissed has many emotions expressed in it. Never been kissed is part comedy, part romance, and part drama. I hate to say this but some of the scenes in Never Been kissed are very sad, and all I can think is" What a bunch of dicks". Never been kissed has a great cast that even introduced the hottest woman on the earth, Jessica Alba. Alba was also in Idle Hand, but I think that Never been kissed was her film debut. The film also includes:

David Arquette(The Scream trilogy, Beautiful Girls)

Michael Vartan(Monster in Law)

John C. Reilly(Step Brothers, The Perfect Storm)

This is Raja Gosnell's best film to date. Gosnell did both Scooby Doo films and Your, Mine and ours. I love Never Been kissed, and I think it deserves a hell of a lot more credit than it got. I can't believe it got a 5.7. I think it at least deserved a 7.0 at least. Never been kissed is romantic, funny, and sad, and I truly do love it.

The Plot:Nerdy columnist Josie Geller is assigned to be a reporter. She will be reporting something on High School today and will go undercover as a high school student. Problem is, she was a nerdy High school student and was bullied constantly. She is afraid of what will happen if she goes back.

Wonderful, amazing movie! Very funny too.

Author: sarsipius23 from Nashville, TN, United States
15 March 2009

I never tire of this movie. That is the true sign of greatness. I have watched it many, many times. It gets better with age. I first saw this in the theater and was already loving it when at just the right time "Don't Worry Baby" blasts into my ears, which to me is one of the greatest songs of all time. Pure sonic heaven.

Anyhow, I thought the movie was very funny (especially David Arquette.) It also was touching. The prom flashback was truly heartbreaking. Also amazing is how unattractive Drew Barrymore was as Josey Grossie. I think she is generally very attractive, but they really hit the nail on the head in this movie in making her plain.

I enjoyed Leelee Sobieski quite a bit and find her very sexy in general. She did great at her part. The plastic friends and over-clichéd "teen roles" for the popular kids was a tiny turnoff but the positives far out-weighed that.

Molly Shannon was a hoot. John Reilly was perfect in his role.

Good job Drew and company! Favorite quotes, "You don't think I can grab a bull's balls?" (or something like that) "I know, I made it up. I didn't think it would catch on like it did." (in reference to David Arquette's character naming his sister Josey Grossie)

The Drew Barrymore Show

Author: Tracy_Terry_Moore from Marina del Rey, CA
14 January 2009

Drew Barrymore is totally charming in this movie about a news reporter who poses as a high school student to get the 'big story'.

Witty dialogue, likable characters, and funny situations make this an engaging film as Drew meets a teacher (Michael Vartan) whom she finds interesting while Drew's brother (David Arquette) also returns to the classroom so he can help out his sister. Really cute most of the way except for Drew's corny little "just be yourself" speech to all the high school kids near the end of the movie. Still lots of fun, especially Drew's bubbly performance.

You know what's a weird word?.... fork.

A good 90's movie.

Author: I_have_an_Afro_deziac from United States
21 September 2008

I thought this movie was very believable and cute. Drew Barrymore was exceptional and did this role unbelievably well. A lot of kids/adults can even relate to this movie, and it makes sense how they touched this subject. However, although the acting that Alba has done in the past has made her a sensational icon, and has included her in extremely worthy movies, Alba delivered a not so sensational performance in this one. Her 'stupid' acting was less than worth it, and made her just look bad rather than a good 'dumb' popular. Bottom Line: With this movie, it can make you cry, make you laugh and even make you smile. Definitely something to rent. Check it out!