IMDb > Never Been Kissed (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Never Been Kissed

Never Been Kissed More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

I love this movie!

Author: ElmStreetsLastBrat from Georgia
8 February 2007

"Never Been Kissed" is a great film. Not excellent, but it is enjoyable to watch and anyone who was an ugly duckling or basically just an outcast in high school can relate! (Like Me). Drew Barrymore plays Josie Gellar, the youngest copy editor at the Chicago Sun Times. To get a promotion she gets a chance to write an article about the lives of modern day high school students. But in order to do that she has to go undercover as a high school student. I thought this was an interesting plot and it worked well for this film. I loved all the characters

and there never was a dull moment in this film for me. Sometimes Drew Barrymore can get on my nerves with some of her movie roles but I loved her in this film. She played geeky so well and I loved her transformation from geek to chic! And there were plenty of laughs in this film too. It was basically just a fun film to watch and a great way to pass the time. Never Been Kissed won't win any awards but it will certainly put a smile on your face. I love this film! Definitely one of my favorites. Thank you for reading my review!

Much better than expected!

Author: Sarah (Capracorn384) from Chicago
26 February 2003

I very strongly dislike teen movies.This one sounded like all the rest of them but it wasn't.Drew Barrymore plays Josie Gellar,a former high school geek that everybody couldn't wait to make fun of.She gets a chance to go back to high school, undercovered, for a story for the Chicago Sun Times.She finally fits in thanks to her brother(David Arquette) and she develops a crush on a teacher(Michael Vartan ~sigh~). This was not a laugh out loud funny movie.But it does posess a sweet quality to it that is nice.You know how it is going to end before you even watch the movie but the whole point is to see how they are finally going to get together in the end.Michael Vartan is the best part of the movie.I mean look at him! Reccomended...***

Not that bad

Author: bewitched2004 from Ohio USA
5 June 2002

'm not a big Drew Barrymore fan but this movie was kind of good. I didn't rush to get it when it came out I thought it would be stupid but i finially pick up in 2001 and sat down and watch and it was not that bad. Drew Barrymore was very funny in here even through she acted stupid it was funny... This movie is good for a laugh. David Arguette was great in here it was differet from his scream role Dewey Riley. I never thought see him in this kind of role but he pulled it of. This movie is good but it not great. I seen better but it not bad to pick it up one and while to get a luagh I give it a 7 out of 10

great movie: i know 'cause i've been there!

Author: brian57039
15 April 2002

I've seen this movie along with my wife many a time. I've thought it was a fantastic one because of the small sense of triumph it brought. However, I find myself skipping scenes because they remind me oh so vividly and painfully of my own trials and personal hell I went through at that age. Yes, I was treated very cruelly and sadistically by the lowlifes who were popular back in the day. I'm still recovering from a lot of it, and I'm 33! I doubt if I will ever fully recover! I read a comment from another user, who said that if someone is tortured and belittled long enough and severely enough, that the targeted person comes to believe it and that self-esteem can ultimately be destroyed. Whenever I hear about a tortured kid finally having had enough and killing their tormentor(s), I have absolutely zero sympathy for the deceased bully/(ies). I truly believe they deserved what was coming to them. These kids have nobody to turn to. Lord knows they can't defend themselves, much less win. It also doesn't help that they have absolutely no emotional support from their parents. I would not be surprised if there were a real-life instance that imitated the prank where the Barbie girls and their boyfriends were about to soil Leelee Sobieski's character with pet food. Here's what would happen: they would have succeeded in humiliating her. They get their jollies from making themselves feel good at the expense of someone else's dignity. Shortly thereafter, the popular oppressing kids are all either dead or crippled. The picked-on kid has had enough. I give kudos to the kid (or whoever fought back) and smile at the prospect of evil kids being killed so they can't hurt anybody else, ever again. They get what they deserve! I would have liked the movie a little better if there were more severe punishment for the characters played by Alba, Ladd, and Shelton.

A great teen flick, rated by an extremely non-teen

Author: Caroline from San Diego
29 January 2002

Even as a late 20-something, I love teen flicks, but would rate many of them below a 6. (That's a failing grade in my experience.) This one however, is the best mix of campiness, charm, stereotypes, and good characters. Who can criticize Drew in a geeky, loser, vulnerable role - So good to see her in (almost) each role she takes, but this one is especially endearing. Great cast overall with many entertaining moments - many outclassing the teen flick genre, no matter what era. Solid 7 out of 10. If you like this one, try 10 Things I Hate About You and Drive Me Crazy, other semi-intelligent teen flicks.

Oh, the oppression...

Author: Willow192 from Orlando, Florida
11 March 2001

...Of upper, white, suburban life. I'm tired of little cute, fairy-tale-like movies such as this one. This would NEVER happen in real life...The plot if predictable and has been done only about...1 billion times. I just have no sympathy for the characters in this movie. Drew Barrymore playing a nerd...yeah right! She's gorgeous. I mean...I'm not halfway as cute as she is and I find myself more popular than she was. Then there's LeeLee...who's equally as gorgeous as Drew, if not more. I hate the way movies now a days make it like smart people can NEVER be popular.

Is this the way that suburban high schools are really like? Thank God that mine isn't like this at all. You can only be popular is you dress like a slut, wear tons of lip gloss, act like a ditz, and fail all of your classes. Now I thought this was a pretty good movie...just too unrealistic and predictable. I seriously was making bets when I was watching it with my friend and little sister in the movie theater. Of course...they didn't want to disagree because they knew that it would happen too. What's the message of this story? Lie and cheat and then you'll be popular and get the guy.

THIS MOVIE ROCKED MY WORLD

Author: livlover from new zealand
25 December 1999

Don't listen to any of those negative comments, Never Been Kissed is a sweet and hilariously funny little piece of cheese. So it is not very believable and so it is quite predictable, but it is entertaining and that is what movies are made to do. ENTERTAIN. Drew Barrymore plays Josie to perfection, David Arquette steals the show as Rob, Leelee pulls off the whole geek thing and Jeremy Jordan is lust worthy as Guy. My personal favourite was Michael Vartan though. He is seriously babelicious, much better than those over rated actors such as Leo Dicaprio and Matt Damon. Go see this flick as it is seriously RUFUS!

A so-so movie, nothing new here.

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
22 April 2003

Maybe it's just because I'm not a huge fan of Drew Barrymore's work, or perhaps it's just her character in this particular movie, but I find this movie pretty hard to like. Although, it does have some good stuff in it, mainly the beautiful women, David Arquette, and few other cool supporting characters, but other than that, there isn't really a whole lot going for this movie.

The story is fairly interesting, but nothing terribly profound or intriguing, granted this obviously wasn't intended to be a profound or intriguing movie. All in all, it's just another run-of-the-mill love story, nothing you haven't seen a thousand times already.

The actors were all pretty good for the most part. David Arquette was one of my favorite characters in the film, and he seemed to be the only one I was truly rooting for. I'm sorry but I didn't really care if Josie (Drew) ended up with Sam (Michael Vartan) in the end or not. Alyds (Leelee Sobieski) was my next favorite character, she did a great job with the role. John C. Reilly also did a fine job with his role, although his character was nothing to get excited about. Marley Shelton, Jessica Alba, and Jordan Ladd played the perfect "popular girls", and looked nothing less than fantastic throughout the film. The three of them are reason enough to sit through the film. Sean Whalen played a particularly interesting and funny character, although not a very important character (Josie's male secretary/assistant). Molly Shannon is just one of those actresses that doesn't sit right with me. I'm sorry, but I just don't find her funny...I think it's because she acts EXACTLY the same with all of her characters and her comedy just gets old after a while. Like I mentioned above, I'm not a huge fan of Drew Barrymore, but I can DEFINITELY say this is one my least favorites of her roles. Her character was pretty annoying throughout the film, and overly whiny. I'm not really one to complain about sappiness either, but her character was a little too sappy as well.

In the end, I definitely wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see this film, but if you get a chance to see it for free, or just feel in the mood for another love story...then go ahead and check this one out. If you're a fan of Drew Barrymore, I guess go ahead and check this out, but don't get your hopes too high. In any case, if you do end up seeing the film, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading,

-Chris

Waste of time, waste of money!!!

Author: anonymous
16 April 1999

I heard so many great comments about how funny this movie was, I really wanted to see it - my first mistake.

This movie dragged, showed no signs of intelligent life, and the acting talent was EXTREMELY LIMITED. The script was terrible and the only good acting in the entire movie was performed by David Arquette. He was hilarious, but there was no way he could carry the entire movie himself.

If your only choices for Saturday night are going to see this movie or cleaning the refrigerator - clean the fridge!!! It'll be more fun, and it won't be a total waste of time.

You've GOT to be kidding!

Author: Theresa (tgjenn)
4 September 2000

OK, I have seen "fluff" before, but this REALLY takes the cake. The story depicts a 25-year-old news reporter who must relive the horrors of her teen years as she is required to go undercover as a high school teen. So, once again she must go through the insecurities of trying too hard to fit in. Excuse me??? What 25-year-old is going to stress over whether she fits in with a crowd at least eight years younger than she? To top it off, her brother, also an adult, decides to do the same. While trying not to offer any spoilers, I will say that the storyline and ending is way too predictable. My only reason for seeing this is because I am a fan of Drew Barrymore, but I feel it was a waste of both her talent and that of Leelee Sobieski to stick them in such a story. I would suggest seeing this only if you are fans of any of the actors in this movie; otherwise, it is not worth your time.