IMDb > Never Been Kissed (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Never Been Kissed

Never Been Kissed More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 35: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Crazy High School Comedy meets Romance with a Capital R

Author: BB-15
31 October 1999

I liked Never Been Kissed. I'll just let that sentence stand alone for a bit because much of my reaction cannot be explained. I laughed, got excited and just admired this movie. That said I'll put some of my feelings into words.

The camera simply loves Drew Barrymore's face. It expresses many emotions well in a quirky, individual way. No other I actress I have seen lately could have pulled this role off because of how goofy the movie is. Barrymore oozes sincerity in an otherwise silly film and makes it work.

Part of Never Been Kissed is a throw back to the nutty school comedies started by Animal House. These characters are not close to being real. They are played for laughs and I did laugh. The scenes in the newspaper office are just as wacky with good supporting actors led by Molly Shannon. One thing I liked a lot about this movie is that many of the actresses including Barrymore did not look like they are dying of starvation.

An obvious theme is that high school is a shallow, phony, cruel world. Whether one can relate to this I believe is very personal. People who think high school was the most wonderful part of their lives may be offended by the humor here but to me it was right on.

Underneath the crazy comedy and satire, this is romance with a capital R. The film makes it super clear that the idea of the disguised person falling in love is as old as Shakespeare! I like romances and this one followed the rules (unlike You've Got Mail). It is super clear that Barrymore's character and the high school English teacher, Sam, are very compatible.

This is not a great movie. It is a bit of fluff. Many of the situations are very predictable especially the ending but romances usually are. And as for the rest, personally, you either can relate to the comedy, satire and romance or you don't. I did and recommend Never Been Kissed.

cute and funny teen movie

Author: erbear (ebgrad2001@aol.com)
31 October 1999

I liked this movie, you could atribute that to the fact that I am 16 years old or that I am a total sap for romances but regardless I think that it is a very nice (not wonderful) teen picture. I thought that Drew Barrymore was totally believable as the unpopular and unattractive teen/adult in this well cast well written comedy. No one could look at this movie and say that the young teenage Barrymore would have been given any kisses looking the way that she did. The only thing that I found slightly unbelievable although very nessisary to the plot was the hard noised editor Garry Marshall. I liked this movie and would recomend it. To those who share my opinion I would suggest a veiwing on another teen picture, Ten Things I Hate About You

A Wonderful, funny film!

Author: hollyjoann from The Colony, Texas
26 October 1999

This movie, in my opinion, was a wonderful, funny movie. I thought that Drew Barrymore did a wonderful job in this movie. I liked the idea of her going back to school to get a report for the newspaper. I read some other comments that said that it was too predictable. Well, I couldn't predict anything that happened in this movie. It kept on surprising me. I don't think that it was the same-old story either. It's about Josie Geller going back to school to get a story for her first job as a newspaper journalist and in the process, she realizes that nothing has changed since the last time that she was in high school, when she was considered a geek. It is not about a geek turning popular, even though that does happen. That is not what the main plot of the story is, it is mainly about her trying to get her story before her deadline, or she and her supervisor will be fired.

I thought that this was a very funny movie. There was one particular scene when they were in sex ed. that could be inappropriate for small children, but other than that, it's great. I work in a video store and I have been recommending it to just about everyone who wants a funny, romantic, and heart-warming movie.

This summer's most overrated film?

Author: jarvis-8 from Bristol, England
14 October 1999

Before I write this, I should make one thing clear - I entered this film against my will and with extremely low expectations, having physically flinched at some of the moments in the trailer. But if the trailer was bad, then the film itself is far, far worse.

It's basically a direct clash between high-school film and newspaper drama, but of course with all the intelligence, wit, character development and anything else that makes a film watchable surgically removed so as to appeal to the Hollywood "target market" of asinine 12-18 year old girls.

It's a film that sacrifices logic on the altar of a "hook" (Drew Barrymore - DREW BARRYMORE - as the outsider? Suddenly sacrificing her principles towards the end?), and instead of characters has empty cliches, ciphers created just to jerry along the plot.

The acting (in most cases) veers from second-rate to incompetent, with honourable exceptions being Arquette and Vartan. I could go on. The directing is just about adequate but pretty uninteresting and the script is caught painfully between the stools of comedy, romance, self-discovery and teen flick.

It's a waste of time. Do not see this film. End of story.

short and sweet

Author: Matt-219 from London, England
10 October 1999

never been kissed was boring, but the teacher was pretty nice! i quite enjoyed it, but it was too predictable. however, some of the characters, e.g. josies friend at work help to spice up the plot. turnip, turnip, turnip. i apologize, i meant no disrespect.

GREAT

Author: MMF-2 from SOUTH AFRICA
7 October 1999

In my personal opinion the movie might have been predictable(young girl falls for the sexy teacher)it wasn't very clear what the young outcast would do next,I mean did you know she would start dancing on stage(i didn't)the story line was one that the end you would know what happened. I mean I knew he would show up a comedy doesn't have a sad ending.I just have to say I really loved the movie and recommend that all people who have not watched it go now!!!!

Fun Comedy For Everyone

Author: SRVHS from Danville, California
17 September 1999

During the summer I saw the movie, "Never Been Kissed". I thought that it was a great comedy for everyone. The film was humorous, well acted, had a great story line, and had a lot of feeling in it. The plot was creative and realistic. It shows the meaning of life through high school, and how hard it can be with all of the different cliques, and how hard it is to fit in when you don't mesh with the popular kids. Through this film you can see how cruel teenagers can be to each other, especially the dorks or the not popular kids. The statement is kind of saying that some teenagers think that if you are not in their "clique" then you are no one.

In the scene where Josie (Drew Barrymore) tries to be cool and all on the first day of school, is hilarious. She had gone shopping and got all of the clothes and accessories that she thought would be cool. But actually when she gets there, no one else looks as pathetic as her. Then at lunch she goes up the the most popular girls in school to ask them what their hopes and dreams are, and they act towards her as though she is from a different planet or something. Josie had been wearing white pants, and as she got up to leave, she spilt her drink all over her pants and then leaves school because she was so humiliated. Josie was terrified and didn't want to ever go back, but she knew that him she didn't then she would be fired.

One night she goes to a party where all of the popular kids are going. When she walked into the club, they stamped her with a stamp tat said "DE-LOSER". She ate a brownie from some guy, but what she didn't know was that there were drugs in it so she got really high and started dancing on the stage and everything. She slept in late that night and woke up, but was late for school! So she put on a sweater , still wearing the clothes from the night before, and went off to school. Everyone was laughing at her and she didn't know why. So she ran in to the bathroom and saw that "LOSER" was on her head. She had slept on her hand last night so half of it came off on her head.The scene was hilarious and very humiliating, for Josie.

The film, Never Been Kissed, is a very fun comedy for the whole family. It is full of happiness, humiliation, humor, and romantic. The ending is great and all over it is a great story line, I highly recommend this movie. By, Hayley

A nice way to while away a couple of hours

Author: Dunk from Stansted, Essex, UK
14 September 1999

This is a really nice little film, even if not as good as 'Ten things I Hate About You'. Sweet without being sugary. Light without being too shallow. Touching without being preachy or pompous. Incredible but somehow you want to believe it. I liked it.

The opening scenes are of Drew Barrymore standing on the pitcher's mound (Is that right? I sometimes have trouble with this Transatlantic language lark) in a baseball stadium. But why is she there? Why is the clock ticking?

Barrymore's character is that of Josie Geller, a, ferociously efficient but retentive 25 year old copy editor who longs to be a reporter. Her big break comes when the manically self obsessed proprietor of her Chicago newspaper gives her an assignment - to go back to high school, an environment in which she suffered mightily first time round (who didn't?), to dish the inside dirt on the youth of today. Brief and incomplete plot synopsis follows

You don't need to work too hard to guess what happens, but in general things are, as P G Wodehouse might have said, ‘pretty scaly'. As before, she is reviled by the beautiful young things who gravitate to the social circle of the boy-who-has-everything. Eventually, through the intervention of her brother (a baseball whizz but, at time of telling, another of life's losers, working in a dead end job), she eventually gets accepted by the very kind of social group that made her life a misery in her real school years. On the way, guess what? She loses sight of the unconditional friendship given to her by the school geeks (errr, what, you mean her alter egos? Gosh nearly missed that.).

Things get more complex when she falls (mutually) in love with her English teacher. A whole lot of ducking and diving ensues until the eventual denouement. The misunderstandings lead us back, via a favourite device of American directors, the prom night, to the opening scene. We find she is actually waiting, in front of a huge TV audience, for the teacher to come to her and give her her first real kiss. Does he arrive? I shall let you find out.

This is not all sweetness and light; there is a harder edge. The depiction of the relentless school prejudice against oddballs is horribly true to life (even if Aldys, the ringleader of the main oddball group, the Denominators, falls into the Laney Boggs camp). There is even a line referring to ‘Carrie'. It is made as a throwaway, but it is a neat reference; there is a real sense that it could all go very ugly very quickly indeed.

On the other hand Barrymore turns in yet another sterling performance in a romantic comedy, a field she is rapidly making her own. The Prom Queen speech may be a bit heavy handed (oops, I gave away a plot line), but it does have the ring of truth about it, and she manages to pull it off without an outbreak of mass wincing in the audience.

Go and see it, not because it will expand your mind, but just because it is a really nice film.

What d'ya mean, 'Never been kissed'?

Author: Beki
12 September 1999

Wow, Drew Barrymore looking like a dog, never thought I'd see it. But it wasn't for long, and when she wasn't looking as though she'd been dragged through a hedge backwards, she was looking as gorgeous as ever.

And the film was very good. Mind you, it was extremely loved up, so I'm not sure that if I hadn't have had my boyfriend with me it would have been as good.

A pretty unbelieveable plot, though it was nice, and the guy that plays the teacher- now he was hot!

See it, but prepare to be depressed if you don't take a partner.

Best I've seen in years!

Author: (bigbrover@excite.com) from Cleveland, Ohio
12 September 1999

Congratulations Drew! "Never Been Kissed" is Da-Bomb! I think "Josie" is one of your finest roles ever. You have always been a great actress, and you continue to amaze me with each new film you appear in. For those of you that haven't seen this movie, it is a must! You will not regret it!