IMDb > Never Been Kissed (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Never Been Kissed

Never Been Kissed More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 35: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Wonderful and enjoyable.

Author: lebosquer from New Zealand
10 February 2000

I really enjoyed this movie, it was humorous and all the cast did a great job. It was not only enjoyable but was what probabally most people can relate with at their schools.It was a beautiful story and story line and I think everyone did a terrific job and I give them 10/10. Well Done People! You Did Well.

Drew as the Lowest Common Denominator.

Author: MickeyTo from Toronto, Canada
6 February 2000

Every ingenue should get at least one opportunity to star in and carry her own fluff piece. Drew Barrymore gets her opportunity with Never Been Kissed, the story of a twenty-something misfit who returns to high school.

Drew is Josie Geller, a grammar-nut working as the copy editor for a Chicago newspaper. She isn't crazy about her job, her life is in a rut, and most remarkable of all, she has never been kissed. Josie's big dream, other than finding her prince, is to take on an undercover assignment. After much begging, she is suddenly offered the chance to pose as a high school student to get the straight dope on what America's kids are up to these days. A thrilling opportunity? No. However, just the opportunity this vehicle needs to get Drew back into high school.

As a teenager, Josie was hugely unpopular, and her crush on a classmate was fodder for the terrible pranks her school mates played on her. As she returns to high school, Josie finds that things haven't changed much, and before long her awkward personality gets her lumped in with the unpopular kids.

Never Been Kissed is about as predictable and contrived a plot you could hope for. We know instantly that the hot young English teacher is going to be the big love interest in the film. We also know that Drew is going to soon have to make a choice between the class geeks and the princesses. And of course, we are never surprised by any of the choices she makes.

Drew Barrymore plays a bit of a character role here. As a clumsy oaf she pulls it off ... barely. While she manages to look the part, sometimes dowdy, sometimes ugly, I still suggest that she spend a bit more time with an acting coach.

Molly Shannan plays her over sexed best friend in a supporting role complete with a sub-plot that is (thankfully) never realized. As Josie recounts her dream of being kissed by Mr Right, hot-to-trot Shannon is reduced to tears. I didn't buy any of it for a second.

I must admit, that despite its faults, I did enjoy Never Been Kissed. A predictable piece of fluff, this film has some cute moments, and while the premise is unbelievably forced it is never dull. Even though she has a long way to go before she can call herself one of the great Barrymore's, Drew is fun to watch, and this no-brainer serves as a perfect time waster should the need arise.

cute !

Author: pri_e from Sydney, Australia
4 February 2000

I thought this movie was great, not only because of it's storyline but because it was portrayed greatly by the excellent cast. I read that Drew Barrymore wasn't exceptional as Josie Geller because she is beautiful. Yes she maybe but in the movie she played outside herself, which brought on a plain girl searching for who she is in the world. The story is sweet and definitely for the hopeless romantics out there, I for sure am. David Arquette is mad as her brother Rob, and Michael Vartan is gorgeous as Sam Coulson. Leelee Sobieski did an excellent job as her mate Aldys, someone who wasn't afraid to be herself. I think this movie should get more credit rather than being branded as a "teeny boppy" flick

Fun even if we've been there before

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
30 January 2000

Drew Barrymore gets second chance at high school, on undercover assignment as newspaper reporter. In flashbacks, we see that the first time around was, to put it mildly, a major disaster. David Arquette is amusing in modest role as Drew's brother, who also enrolls to help out sis. Lots of subplots endanger but never overwhelm simple charm of movie. Drew keeps making her niche as major innocent-sexy light comic actress.

Cute little movie

Author: kim allen (kimwallen@aol.com) from Atlanta, GA
24 January 2000

I just saw this movie for the second time with my 8-year-old daughter and I remembered why we liked it the first time. All these people who say it is bad are too uptight and critical! It is simply an entertaining little movie, it's not supposed to change the world. I thought all the actors did a great job with their characters. (Except for Jeremy Jordan as Guy--he was a maggot who looked seriously in need of soap and shampoo. If HE is supposed to be the hot guy in their school, then they've got slim pickins'.) But I digress--Drew Barrymore was delightful, as usual, and David Arquette was even enjoyable, and I usually can't stomach him, if only because of those STUPID AT&T commercials! Molly Shannon is always entertaining, and Leelee Sobieski did a great job as a tortured brain. Some parts were actually painful to watch, reminding me of high school. Even though I thankfully didn't get made fun of, it made my heart ache for those who do. Movies like this are actually good for children to see--my daughter made several observations about the cruelty of some of the students and how wrong it was. This movie is appropriate for anyone and a good way to while away 2 hours. If there's ever a time you want to see a lighthearted little movie with a happy ending where you don't have to think very much, then this is definitely a consideration.

7 on a scale of 10

Author: len tinman from Overland Park, Ks.
22 January 2000

Women will like this movie better than men. Of course, women like all romantic comedies more than men - on average. I generally like romantic comedies quite a bit, however I considered this a 5.5 for the first 50% of the movie and about a 6.5 for the next 40% and about a 9 for the last 10%. So, begrudgingly, I will rate it a 7. I tape and keep all movies rated a 7 or better and none that are a 6 or worse - at least that's my objective. I have over 1200 movies, so why keep the dogs.

My wife liked this movie quite a bit more than me, though I'm not sure why. I am a bigger Drew Barrymore fan than she is.

The whole point of this movie was about a young woman who goes back to high school (undercover) to write a story about the high school experience nowadays. She was a dork in high school the first time around and has to learn how to be cool the second time around. Her journey toward cooldom, as well as her falling in love with a teacher, is the story.

What drove me nuts for the first half the movie was just how mangy she looked. I wondered why they would pick her for this role until I realized how capable she is at looking like a dog. So much so that I truly don't think I want to see her in 15 years when she gets up in the morning. ARGH! Naturally, she transformed into a rather attractive (cute) woman by the end and she became very popular.

The ending is about a 9.9 on the very sweet scale, so you sappers out there will like that. Otherwise, it isn't very memorable and easily missable.

drew barrymore makes this movie

Author: Justin (blink_dude16@hotmail.com) from latham, new york
17 January 2000

After seeing this movie, I came to the realization that Drew Barrymore is a great actress. This movie wouldn't have been watchable without Drew. The fact that somebody as attractive as Drew, could actually gross me out, and she did when she was "Josie Grossie". Her attempts to "transition" as the cool girls called it were hilarious, especially her trying to dance at the night club.

We also had SNL favorite, Molly Shannon, playing a great part as Anita, Josie's best friend. One of the funniest scenes in the movie was Anita trying to teach the class sex ed. This was one of Mollys funniest performances and best.

Leelee Sobieski also had a great part and I really felt for her, because I know people like her that got tortured like that.

This movie is a must see for Drew Barrymore fans, because Drew makes the movie.

Romantic comedies

Author: jozg from Watsonville, California
12 January 2000

Drew Barrymore is such a great actress when it comes to these kind of movies. She stars wonderfully and gets away with the quirks and jokes. Romantic comedies like this suit her and I believe that she's done her best so far. Check out her other romantic comedies. You'll see what I mean.

Great Message

Author: JaY-242 (bcnu_84@hotmail.com) from Illinois
5 January 2000

Drew Barrymore shines in this film, that she also helped produce. I absolutely loved it. Although, it is certainly amazing that the gorgeous Drew had "Never Been Kissed" it was great seeing her try. Her acting was great, as was her character. I cannot imagine anyone not liking her in my school, though. The "nerdy" her, was not bad at all. I have been a huge fan of Drew since i saw Scream, ever since then, I have watched everything she has been on. Her pictures, their on my wall, and although she may not be the sexy Poison Ivy in this film, or the cute Casey Becker, she is still gorgeous.

Also good-looking are, of course, the in-crowd. Which includes the gorgeous Jessica Alba, Jordan Ladd, and Marley Shelton. All of these girls, will be seen in the future. Their acting was great.

David Arquette, once again, goes for the off-beat character, but it suits him. And Michael Vartan is good as Drew's teacher.

Molly Shannon, I found enjoyable, and she seemed like the perfect best-friend.

Rent this comedy, with a friend, or by yourself, and if you're in high school, as i am, you realize that popularity doesnt matter once you graduate. It doesn't give you a good future, it doesnt help you make money. And I think Drew is the perfect role-model, for sending out such a great message.

Did I see the same movie?

Author: suessis
28 December 1999

I am trying to figure out if I saw the same movie as others who have commented on this film, largely because I had no problems with the casting in this film except that Drew was too young to play David Arquette's older sister.

In my opinion, Drew Barrymore is not exactly the most attractive girl around, and when they "uglified" her for the original High School stuff she looked absolutely like a geek nightmare. She didn't look that much better when the teacher was supposed to be finding her attractive. Whoever did her makeup must have had bad light to do it in.

Leelee Sobeski wasn't exactly supposed to be ugly. In fact, the point was supposed to be that just because some one is different doesn't make them less of a person and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes the film is predictable but there are some great lines in it and performances. David Arquette seems to be carrying on the slacker character that he created in the long distance commercials though and turning it into Rob Geller. The only problem I had was trouble figuring out why Sam came back in the end. I mean hey the guy was packing up to move during the last sequence. They don't let you know why he just shows up.

It is otherwise a cute film and something that people can identify with. All of us have felt lonely. We also had our moments in school when we were felt miserable about ourselves.