IMDb > Never Been Kissed (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Never Been Kissed

Never Been Kissed More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 35: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Sweet, sweet movie!

Author: NATTIE THE WRITER from Ireland
27 May 2000

I loved this movie, it made me cry, it made me nearly die from laughing! Drew was perfect for Josie, you really could feel Josie's pain, too. Mike Vartan who played (Sam)is a very beautiful actor and person, I happen to know him and he's such a sweetie and he's very talented. I don't understand why people left comments suggesting that pretty people can't be unpopular, all pretty people don't have friends, and they can be nerds, shame on you guys for saying that!

A Very Average Movie At Best

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
18 May 2000

Drew Barrymore makes a very convincing 17 year old. That's about the best I can say about this movie that follows her adventures as a reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times sent undercover to report on high school life today.

For the most part the story-line is unbelievable to the extreme. (In today's day and age it is beyond imagination that an apparently respectable high school teacher would put himself in so many potentially compromising situations with a 17-year old student.) The comedy of the movie was underwhelming, and the ending totally (and boringly) predictable.

Perhaps a movie for the juvenile set.

9 out of 10.

Author: stirred_mind from New Zealand
27 April 2000

Of course, really experienced reviewers who like stuff like Star Wars and professional crap will definitely drag this movie and say really bad comments about it. But really, it is enjoyable teen comedy with an awesome story and good acting.

Josie Gellar (played well by Drew Barrymore) is part of a news-reporting team and she has been offered a ('real') job - she has to go back to school and find out what teens are like these days. Well this goes alright, until Josie remembers her horrible time at High School and gets freaked out. But she's never been hip, never been cool, never been popular until now!

Sit back relax and enjoy with Never Been Kissed!

realistic issues

Author: Angela L from manila, philippines
26 April 2000

i love this movie. it focuses on both issues: reality and fantasy. reality because hey, we all wanted a date from that popular guy Billy. and some of us haven't been kissed yet, right? be honest!

another real issue is because of the pain people gain from teasing. and whoa, high school life. remember it? the fantasy is finding your true love, when you're 25 and still in high school. not really fantasy, but close enough!

although some parts are unbelievable, it was a great movie. there are no other words to describe such incredible work. and the story was wonderful. Drew Barrymore did a charmingly wonderful job, same as the hilarious David Arquette. the people who worked in the movie are all wonderful. didn't i just repeat that?

Never Been Kissed is one of the movies that the later generations should watch. it shows reality and some-not issues for people like you and me.

Doesn't quite live up to its potential

Author: dirkvega from Canton, Ohio
23 April 2000

I've been a Drew Barrymore fan ever since "E.T.", and was very impressed with her performances in "Gun Crazy", "Boys on the Side", and "Mad Love". I think of her as one of Hollywood's most underestimated actresses, and trust she'll be going on to even greater things. When I saw the trailer for "Never Been Kissed", I thought this was the one. A movie that would cater to all her strengths- her natural beauty, her comedic flair, and her skill for expressing deep emotion. For the most part the movie puts Barrymore, who also served as a producer on the film, to good use. Sadly, it also plugs her into some rather lame jokes and slapstick humor that falls flat. The movie tries to be too many things at once, and nearly implodes. Going for the teen comedy audience and the adult female crowd is pretty ambitious, and proves to be too much to handle. For every moment that is heartfelt, there's one that feels phony and forced. The cartoonish depiction of high school kids is especially frustrating. All the students (including the guys) are gung-ho on finding an original theme for their prom. It's a competition between all the local high schools. If that wasn't unrealistic enough, the popular crowd suddenly embraces Barrymore's previously loathed character the second she comes up with the prom theme. We then get a montage of her shopping happily with a trio of shallow bitches who have been going out of their way to make her life a hell. This hurts the believability of the character, who is ecstatic to finally be accepted, despite all the hardship she has faced at the hands of these types. There's a difference between naive and stupid. This flick was obviously intended as lighthearted, but thats still no excuse to make the heroine so oblivious to what is so obvious. Still, Barrymore succeeds in injecting her role with alot of warmth and charm. Leelee Sobieski and Michael Vartan also stand out in the rather overstuffed cast. John C. Reilly, Molly Shannon, and Garry Marshall are also good with what they are given to do, but seem underused. All in all, a watchable movie, but one that is likely to having you shaking your head at all the little annoyances in the screenplay. **1/2, but easily could have been a solid *** with some much needed rewrites.

Great entertainment and uplifting

Author: zenalpha from Brookyln, NY
26 March 2000

There is little more that I would like to say about this movie than it really can touch your heart if you let it. Sure, it's surrounded by all the stereotypical Hollywood stuff, but I found myself actually engrossed in this movie and very interested in the outcome. I'd recommend it to all you romantics out there in a second!

Excellent - Feel Good Film

Author: Kitten2000 from Coventry, England
18 March 2000

'Never Been Kissed' is a real feel good film. If you haven't seen it yet, then rent it out. I am going to buy it when its released because I loved it. Drew Barrymore is excellent again, she plays her part well. I felt I could relate to this film because of the school days I had were just as bad. I thought the plot was well written, there was comedy and romance which are the type of films I love. I loved the ending because even though you know what's going to happen, it still leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat waiting - anticipating!!

Very sappy, very predictable but enjoyable to watch

Author: krkemp from Canada
2 March 2000

This movie turned out to be pretty much what I expected. Of course it's sappy, of course it's predictable. We all know the fairytale. But knowing that when you go to watch it, it's enjoyable enough to watch. It was funny and sweet. I did find it annoying that they showed geeks as either kids who didn't wash there hair or kids who loved math and joined clubs about math and wore T-shirts about math. I was an outcast in high school and I didn't do these things. It goes much deeper than that. Having to do with many things, some of that being how much money your family has, how much you are willing to hide your uniqueness and how mean you are willing to be to other kids. Anyway, I won't get into it. I don't agree with other opinions that Drew isn't convincing as a geek. With braces, no make-up and unwashed hair, I don't think too many people would be drooling over her. And even when she goes back to high-school and sheds those things. She's still wearing the "wrong" clothes, "wrong" hair and has the "wrong" attitude to be considered cool. And her other "geek" friend may be beautiful but it doesn't matter, where I come from, you can still be an outcast and be beautiful. (inside and out)

more than it seems

Author: king2 from Massachusetts
27 February 2000

This movie may superficially appear to be flaky and for teenie-boppers. It seems to be the stereotypical high school movie. But in fact, it takes an honest and touching look at the high school experience. It doesn't propose some unrealistic ending where the geeks and the popular kids reconcile. It doesn't change what happened in adolescence; it just attempts to reckon with it. This is a really great, fun, heart-warming movie, good for teens and for those who can still remember being one...

one overlooked aspect

Author: caz11111 from philadelphia
26 February 2000

fine little comedy. One overlooked part of the movie was Jeremy Jordan's performance as Guy Perkins. Jordan is an unconventional choice for the part, but he brings softspoken intelligence, confidence and cockiness (watch the brief moment when he gets Josie's choice for prom theme instantly accepted) to the part and does a great job. I felt that had the movie tried to develop its characters a little more, it would have been much better. For example, Jordan seems to sincerely fall for Barrymore at a point and having that played out would have generated an interesting romantic triangle between Barrymore's adult-posing-as-student, Jordan's stud and Michael Vartan's teacher. Anyway, just wanted to mention it, since Jordan's performance doesn't seem to have been recognized.