IMDb > Never Been Kissed (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Never Been Kissed

Never Been Kissed More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 35: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Great entertainment and uplifting

Author: zenalpha from Brookyln, NY
26 March 2000

There is little more that I would like to say about this movie than it really can touch your heart if you let it. Sure, it's surrounded by all the stereotypical Hollywood stuff, but I found myself actually engrossed in this movie and very interested in the outcome. I'd recommend it to all you romantics out there in a second!

Excellent - Feel Good Film

Author: Kitten2000 from Coventry, England
18 March 2000

'Never Been Kissed' is a real feel good film. If you haven't seen it yet, then rent it out. I am going to buy it when its released because I loved it. Drew Barrymore is excellent again, she plays her part well. I felt I could relate to this film because of the school days I had were just as bad. I thought the plot was well written, there was comedy and romance which are the type of films I love. I loved the ending because even though you know what's going to happen, it still leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat waiting - anticipating!!

Very sappy, very predictable but enjoyable to watch

Author: krkemp from Canada
2 March 2000

This movie turned out to be pretty much what I expected. Of course it's sappy, of course it's predictable. We all know the fairytale. But knowing that when you go to watch it, it's enjoyable enough to watch. It was funny and sweet. I did find it annoying that they showed geeks as either kids who didn't wash there hair or kids who loved math and joined clubs about math and wore T-shirts about math. I was an outcast in high school and I didn't do these things. It goes much deeper than that. Having to do with many things, some of that being how much money your family has, how much you are willing to hide your uniqueness and how mean you are willing to be to other kids. Anyway, I won't get into it. I don't agree with other opinions that Drew isn't convincing as a geek. With braces, no make-up and unwashed hair, I don't think too many people would be drooling over her. And even when she goes back to high-school and sheds those things. She's still wearing the "wrong" clothes, "wrong" hair and has the "wrong" attitude to be considered cool. And her other "geek" friend may be beautiful but it doesn't matter, where I come from, you can still be an outcast and be beautiful. (inside and out)

more than it seems

Author: king2 from Massachusetts
27 February 2000

This movie may superficially appear to be flaky and for teenie-boppers. It seems to be the stereotypical high school movie. But in fact, it takes an honest and touching look at the high school experience. It doesn't propose some unrealistic ending where the geeks and the popular kids reconcile. It doesn't change what happened in adolescence; it just attempts to reckon with it. This is a really great, fun, heart-warming movie, good for teens and for those who can still remember being one...

one overlooked aspect

Author: caz11111 from philadelphia
26 February 2000

fine little comedy. One overlooked part of the movie was Jeremy Jordan's performance as Guy Perkins. Jordan is an unconventional choice for the part, but he brings softspoken intelligence, confidence and cockiness (watch the brief moment when he gets Josie's choice for prom theme instantly accepted) to the part and does a great job. I felt that had the movie tried to develop its characters a little more, it would have been much better. For example, Jordan seems to sincerely fall for Barrymore at a point and having that played out would have generated an interesting romantic triangle between Barrymore's adult-posing-as-student, Jordan's stud and Michael Vartan's teacher. Anyway, just wanted to mention it, since Jordan's performance doesn't seem to have been recognized.

Wonderful and enjoyable.

Author: lebosquer from New Zealand
10 February 2000

I really enjoyed this movie, it was humorous and all the cast did a great job. It was not only enjoyable but was what probabally most people can relate with at their schools.It was a beautiful story and story line and I think everyone did a terrific job and I give them 10/10. Well Done People! You Did Well.

Drew as the Lowest Common Denominator.

Author: MickeyTo from Toronto, Canada
6 February 2000

Every ingenue should get at least one opportunity to star in and carry her own fluff piece. Drew Barrymore gets her opportunity with Never Been Kissed, the story of a twenty-something misfit who returns to high school.

Drew is Josie Geller, a grammar-nut working as the copy editor for a Chicago newspaper. She isn't crazy about her job, her life is in a rut, and most remarkable of all, she has never been kissed. Josie's big dream, other than finding her prince, is to take on an undercover assignment. After much begging, she is suddenly offered the chance to pose as a high school student to get the straight dope on what America's kids are up to these days. A thrilling opportunity? No. However, just the opportunity this vehicle needs to get Drew back into high school.

As a teenager, Josie was hugely unpopular, and her crush on a classmate was fodder for the terrible pranks her school mates played on her. As she returns to high school, Josie finds that things haven't changed much, and before long her awkward personality gets her lumped in with the unpopular kids.

Never Been Kissed is about as predictable and contrived a plot you could hope for. We know instantly that the hot young English teacher is going to be the big love interest in the film. We also know that Drew is going to soon have to make a choice between the class geeks and the princesses. And of course, we are never surprised by any of the choices she makes.

Drew Barrymore plays a bit of a character role here. As a clumsy oaf she pulls it off ... barely. While she manages to look the part, sometimes dowdy, sometimes ugly, I still suggest that she spend a bit more time with an acting coach.

Molly Shannan plays her over sexed best friend in a supporting role complete with a sub-plot that is (thankfully) never realized. As Josie recounts her dream of being kissed by Mr Right, hot-to-trot Shannon is reduced to tears. I didn't buy any of it for a second.

I must admit, that despite its faults, I did enjoy Never Been Kissed. A predictable piece of fluff, this film has some cute moments, and while the premise is unbelievably forced it is never dull. Even though she has a long way to go before she can call herself one of the great Barrymore's, Drew is fun to watch, and this no-brainer serves as a perfect time waster should the need arise.

cute !

Author: pri_e from Sydney, Australia
4 February 2000

I thought this movie was great, not only because of it's storyline but because it was portrayed greatly by the excellent cast. I read that Drew Barrymore wasn't exceptional as Josie Geller because she is beautiful. Yes she maybe but in the movie she played outside herself, which brought on a plain girl searching for who she is in the world. The story is sweet and definitely for the hopeless romantics out there, I for sure am. David Arquette is mad as her brother Rob, and Michael Vartan is gorgeous as Sam Coulson. Leelee Sobieski did an excellent job as her mate Aldys, someone who wasn't afraid to be herself. I think this movie should get more credit rather than being branded as a "teeny boppy" flick

Fun even if we've been there before

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
30 January 2000

Drew Barrymore gets second chance at high school, on undercover assignment as newspaper reporter. In flashbacks, we see that the first time around was, to put it mildly, a major disaster. David Arquette is amusing in modest role as Drew's brother, who also enrolls to help out sis. Lots of subplots endanger but never overwhelm simple charm of movie. Drew keeps making her niche as major innocent-sexy light comic actress.

Cute little movie

Author: kim allen (kimwallen@aol.com) from Atlanta, GA
24 January 2000

I just saw this movie for the second time with my 8-year-old daughter and I remembered why we liked it the first time. All these people who say it is bad are too uptight and critical! It is simply an entertaining little movie, it's not supposed to change the world. I thought all the actors did a great job with their characters. (Except for Jeremy Jordan as Guy--he was a maggot who looked seriously in need of soap and shampoo. If HE is supposed to be the hot guy in their school, then they've got slim pickins'.) But I digress--Drew Barrymore was delightful, as usual, and David Arquette was even enjoyable, and I usually can't stomach him, if only because of those STUPID AT&T commercials! Molly Shannon is always entertaining, and Leelee Sobieski did a great job as a tortured brain. Some parts were actually painful to watch, reminding me of high school. Even though I thankfully didn't get made fun of, it made my heart ache for those who do. Movies like this are actually good for children to see--my daughter made several observations about the cruelty of some of the students and how wrong it was. This movie is appropriate for anyone and a good way to while away 2 hours. If there's ever a time you want to see a lighthearted little movie with a happy ending where you don't have to think very much, then this is definitely a consideration.