IMDb > Marriage Wows (1949) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Marriage Wows More at IMDbPro »

Dated, But Charming With Good Ending

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
23 October 2007

The marriage of "Bertha and Edgar" is announced with posters nailed to trees in the forest. They don't give the denizens much time as the announcement says it will be at "2:30 today." Below that, it says "your PRESENTS" will be welcomed."

This is a typical "Famous Studios" animated short in that is has decent Technicolor and is a combination of "cute" and sight-gags that feature puns. There are few scenes which would provide laughs, yet it isn't boring either. "Charming," I guess, would be another way to describe this and similar efforts by this studio, Director I. Sparber and writers Bill Turner and Larry Riley.

A lot of the jokes are how the animals get themselves spruced up for the wedding (a lion getting his nails done, feathered birds getting dusted, antlers getting cleaned at the "Jungle Parlor," etc.) I mean, where else but cartoons can you see a hyena painting her toenails or a hippo putting on lipstick?!

Near the ending we get one of those sing-a-longs as the audience is asked to follow "the bouncing heart" to the song "For Me and My Gal."

The actual ending is very good, which should draw a good laugh out of most people. Overall, it's dated but charming, wholesome and has enough laughs to recommend. It is a far cry from stuff you would see today.