IMDb > Show Me Love (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fucking Åmål

Show Me Love More at IMDbPro »Fucking Åmål (original title)

Page 8 of 32: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

This was the most touching movie I saw in 1999

Author: Michael Buchser (mibu@datacomm.ch) from Schöftland, Switzerland
10 December 1999

Great acting, great book. This movie is really touching and moving. And, it got touching humor though.

It made me thinking about the movie in general, about Elin and Agnes, and about my own life to for days after I've seen this movie.

If you have the chance : GO AND WATCH IT!

10 out of 10!

Very touching movie

Author: ElkeDamm (elke.damm@online-club.de) from Duesseldorf, Germany
9 December 1999

I was very touched by this movie. It reminds me of the time when I was at the age of Elin and Agnes and when I felt very different, too. Far from this age now (I am 44 years old) nevertheless I could identify esp. with Agnes. I left the cinema in a very good mood. And I hope that this movie will encourage young people in the same situation only to follow their heart.

the struggle of being young and different is the same in every small town

Author: Erika Wiman from Arboga, Sweden
4 December 1999

An excellent portrayal of what it is like to be young in a small town, about what it is like to be different. This film allows the young people in it to use their own language and their own way of being without changing it to suit the adult way of thinking. That makes this film real, and relevant to everyone who's ever been a teenager.

Brilliant love-story!

Author: Andy-449 (ernstvejmand@hotmail.com)
2 December 1999

I'm amazed! What a movie! You really feel Agnes' pain partly because Elin is so irresistible that one almost falls in love with her while watching the movie. I guess it's intended and it works. She, Elin, reminds me of an old girlfriend, that really turned me around and pulled the best out of me. Rebecca and Alexandra are simply fantastic! Hope you two keep on acting! I would love to follow your careers. It's probably the most touching movie that I've ever seen. I rented the video one evening and ended up seeing it three times in a row plus two times the next day. I have never done that before. For a second I felt a bit stupid: I'm 24 years old - not really a teen, but I guess that the enthusiasm stems from the fact that the theme is universal. A brilliant love-story that makes you both laugh and cry.

Really a great film

Author: myrn from Madison, WI
20 November 1999

I saw this film in Sweden and was impressed with the two leads. Even though I don't speak much Swedish, I *really* enjoyed it. It was even better once I got some of the dialog from some Swedish speaking friends. By the end of the film, you are totally rooting for Agnes. The story is realistic, well-paced, and has some great humor. The acting is dead-on. My only complaint is that the American title misses the point. Ahh well. Despite the title you should definitely get out to see this movie!

This is a great film! The story is incredibly close to reality

Author: Raffael Dickreuter (Esquirer) from Bern, Switzerland
16 November 1999

As I saw this film, I was really involed in it. It's not just like all the other teenager movies we can see today, where the whole life is just a party, and everybody tries to be the coolest guy of the school. Reality is different, realilty is really like in this film: There are people, who are accepted by all the others, they are the kings, but there are many outsiders, who are very sad, they hate life, the are afraid of it and they have lost every joy. Only love can give them back hope, and that's what the movie is talking about. I can just advise you to see this movie, because it's an incredible experience, it's like to collide with realitly! Excellent movie!

I love coming of age movies

Author: Kari Haug (mjau@mailcity.com) from Seattle, WA
31 October 1999

Yup, I am very attracted to coming of age movies, and coming of age books. I loved "Fucking Åmål", I saw it in Norway this past summer when it was new. I am originally from Norway and was back there for a summer visit. I am neither a teenager nor a lesbian, but I think everybody can identify with certain parts of that movie. It is not the best coming of age movie I've ever seen, I think that honor goes to another Swedish movie "Mitt liv som hund" (My Life as a Dog). I found out yesterday that "Fucking Åmål" is about to be released here in the US. But the title has been changed to "Show me Love". I could go on about that forever but that would be extremely off topic. Go see it!!!!

RUN, DO NOT WALK to a theatre near you....

Author: Embley from Vancouver, BC, Canada
5 October 1999

This film blew me away. It was great - simple story and effectively put together. The two main actresses were fantastic and the script/dialogue was superb.

Although I would rather eat s**t than relive the high school experience, this film is a must see - some of it hits so close to the mark it turns your insides, but it is brilliantly resolved and what could leave you feeling slightly nauseous due to recollections of similar personal horrifying experiences, actually leaves you belly-laughing and pleased as punch.

I can't say enough good things about this film - see it as many times as possible - I know I will..

My comments.

Author: Adde-6
24 September 1999

It is no doubt that this is the best movie I ever has seen. The closet I can get to describe the felling I get when I see it, is that felling is simular to when you have read a very good book.

//Adde

A movie true to life

Author: Per A J Andersson from Goteborg, Sweden
23 September 1999

This movie made me love life. This may sound silly, but it's the very opposite to action movies that thrill just for the moment. "Fucking Åmål" has an untested cast that does wonder with a dramatic script whose delicate turns and twists often leave the viewer speechless.

It's a short movie, but it ends where it should, in a triumph of sorts letting the most unlikely couple there is in small-town Åmål form. The movie presents the notion that Agnes and Elin deserve each other, but it takes lots of both luck and perseverance for this to come true.

With all this drama, humour and romance packed into a mere 90 minutes of film, this could have turned out like just another action-packed teen movie. Instead it's a film about teenagers that rings more true than life. It opened a wide path way back to my own youth *and* showed me a way forward. All at the same time! And I cannot remember another movie that come even close.

Well, Martin Scorsese's "The Last Testament of Christ" found me nailed to the screen for it's entire length, but "Fucking Åmål" did a lot more than this. Such epic qualities, in a movie that looks like a documentary! It's pure magic.