IMDb > Show Me Love (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fucking Åmål

Show Me Love More at IMDbPro »Fucking Åmål (original title)

Page 5 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

This movie is wonderful beyond words

Author: Dutchy from The Netherlands
14 February 2000

A Swedish movie about lesbians, not your every day movie. Actually, it's not even a once a decade movie. It's one of the best ever.

It's about the love between two girls. Lesbian love. Elin (14) and Agnes (16) live in a plain boring village called Åmål. Elin is very popular and Agnes is anything but that, and she also has a crush on Elin. As a sort of bet with her sister Elin kisses Agnes. They run away all laughing, but Elin realizes that kiss did more to her than she wants to admit. Both actresses do a fantastic job. You really care for them and share their emotions. The story is very compelling. It deals with quite a touchy subject, but it's done in such a lovely, non graphical way. This is one of the very best movies ever about teenagers. The heart-warming performances by the two girls being a large part of the reason for that.

It was a huge hit in Scandinavian countries in 1998 and could even compete with Titanic. In the end I was totally unaware I was watching a SWEDISH movie. That's another sign how great it is. I absolutely loved this movie. I was deeply moved by it and so emotionally involved. This movie left me with a major lump in my throat...

Do you remember your first kiss or the struggle of being a teenager? No? Well, then this movie is the ultimate way to relive all that. Even though it deals with a lesbian relationship it comes off as universal. This movie gives the most genuine, honest view on teenage life with a rare emotional truth.

This movie is wonderful beyond words.

10 out of 10

A great "small" movie!

Author: BasF from Amsterdam
2 February 2000

This is a great "small" movie. I don't know much about the Swedish cinema; as far as I know nothing much happend there since the "great days" of Ingmar Bergman ( who's films I personally never really liked; much too serious!). So now I saw a movie made by a bunch of people ( director as well as actors) I've never heard of. And I liked it a lot! It looks very low budget. I'm not sure if it was shot on video or on film. It could very well be one of those "Dogma" films, but I don't think it is. It's the story of a bunch of teenagers growing up in a small, boring Swedish town. We see how they struggle with their lives, their parents, love and big questions like "Is this all there is in life? Will I end up like my parents? I'm I gay/ lesbian?" Everything is told in a very realistic and straight forward way, and the acting by the mostly very young cast is pretty good. Despite the serious topics there's a lot of humor in the film as well, and it leaves you with an optimistic feeling in the end. You get the feeling that these film makers really have portrayed the problems of those kids. The movie would do very well in a series of movies for instance called "Big And Little Trouble In The Suburbs", together with films like the French movie from a few years ago "La Haine/ Hate" and the recent Hollywood masterpiece "American Beauty". I voted a 9!

A heavy teenage love story!!

Author: koki26 (koki26@yubc.net) from Belgrade, Yugoslavia
29 January 2000

Bravo!Its the picture,word and riot again united in 7th art. Intoxicated with Hollywood movies,we easily loose the criterion. The movie is a little bit heavy and unpleasant in the very begging.Fortunately,from morbid social-psycho drama it turns out to a happy end teenage movie.THATS THE GENRE TURNABoUT,that "The Sixth Sense"can only dream of.Bravo!

Just moving her eyes (It stays a mystery)

Author: musterknabe (zirl0422@uni-landau.de) from Landau, Germany
13 January 2000

I was also very impressed by this movie. So I have read all the comments that had been written until now (106). I found it very interesting to read which people from which countries have seen it and what they think about it.

The movie was shown at the Gay-Lesbian-Film-Festival in Stuttgart and was also regularly shown in Stuttgart in December. Unfortunately it's not anymore in the theatres in Stuttgart now (January), so I wasn't able to see it a third time. Also unfortunately it's obviously not possible to get the soundtrack in Germany.

I like how sweet Rebecca Liljeberg (Agnes) is, e.g. when she is asked by Elin to come with her to the party. Do you remember? She didn't answer a word. She is just moving her eyes and looking up, as if she is searching for an answer.

But although I am able to describe this particular situation, I am still not able to explain, what it really was, that impressed and touched me so much. I could mention several aspects, e.g. the acting, the music, the humor, etc. but for me it stays a mystery. It's kind of like the movie's touching something deep inside, waking me up, moving me but I cannot reduce it to one single aspect. Well, it sounds a little complicated, but maybe someone has understood, what I mean.

Great, great, great!!!!!

Author: elin2000 from Zürich, Switzerland
5 January 2000

This is probably one of the best movies I've ever seen, and all I can say about that is: WOW! I think it's very good because it shows the real life, how teenagers live today and that's verry important!!

Excellent, sensitive growing-up movie

Author: pollnera from Cologne, Germany
5 December 1999

This movie is an excellent, quite touchy, analysis about growing up and searching for one's self-being. I liked very much the convincing dialogues of the two girls and their helpless parents. How to handle kids discovering new worlds? Should be one of the best Swedish movies ever.

What a sparkling "little" masterpiece.......

Author: fiorina_fury_161 from Trondheim, Norway
26 November 1999

This must be the most enjoyable piece of movie coming out the last decade. No over-the-top effects, no expensive actors, no big budget, what a delight. It's just pure realism. Rebecka Liljeberg, Alexandra Dahlström, Erica Carlson and Mathias Rust are one of the funniest actors playing their parts with such enthusiasm.

I saw this film twice in the cinema and once on home video, it's still a wonderful, warm movie. Dahlström and Liljeberg charmed me. I know a lot of my other friends that felt the same. I recommend this movie to everyone that like simple, good and charming movies.

Go to the cinema, run if possible, it's worth the money.

I give 10 out of 10.....

There's only one cure for being a teenager

Author: pfremon from USA
13 November 1999

Growing into adulthood is the only safe way out of the teenage years, and as Fucking Åmål shows, the way to adulthood is never, ever easy. Fucking Åmål is a brilliant film, one that will sadly not capture the audience it deserves in the USA because it's unrated. And that's a shame, because it could be -- and deserves to be -- a teen hit. The overall teenage angst reminded me a lot of my own teenage years -- three decades ago! Some things never change. Go see this movie, and take some teenagers with you.

truly great and real

Author: midnight-28 from toronto
11 November 1999

Show Me Love - the title used for the movie in this part of the world - so disarmingly honest and true and so real - it is to Swedish youth as American Pie was to American - only this is the type of movie that could never be made by Hollywood. Show Me Love (Robyn soundtrack song and all) is a winner. Depicting the boredom and angst and the ordinariness of the youth of a Swedish town - the teen girls in this movie could be the popular crowd in situ anywhere - there may be minor variances due to local laws such as the early drinking age - but this is teen youth with no certainties about their future - it is also about the differences between teen guys and teen girls anywhere ...

Totally Meaningful!!!

Author: DaVinci12 from Toronto, Canada
7 November 1999

This film got a tremendous effect on me that I watched it twice and analyze why I liked this film very much. The original title is Fucking Amal but I would say that Amal really pertains to life itself. In some way or another, we are bored with our life - same job, same people we meet everyday, etc. that you just say 'Fucking life!'. Deep within ourselves is an aspiration to be above the ordinary and to be a rebel to conventions just like my two heroes - Elin and Agnes. When they were both trapped in the washroom, their classmates thought that Elin must have been with a guy. And Jessica had Markus bec 'that's the way it is'. It's just like when people expect you to be married in a certain age. Like society wants everybody to conform and those who do not will suffer the consequences. It's pathetic! However, the film also emphasize that although life is boring and 'totally meaningless!' (as Elin will say) she was redeemed by Love. It is the most powerful thing here on earth that makes you capable of doing anything you never thought of. Love makes Life special :)

With re to the actors, I would say that Dahlstrom is oozing with sex appeal. I can't take my eyes off her whenever she's on screen but then I have to read those subtitles. Darn! And she's so funny too. Liljeberg has a future as an actor. She uses her eyes very well. She was able to convince me that she's a lesbian (at least on the film) until I read that she got a boyfriend. See how obssessed I am with this film. I even try to read Swedish film reviews! Most of the praises I read are from Europe and are from teenagers but although I'm Asian and in my early 30's, I really appreciate it bec the theme is universal and it transcends age. I just recognize it thru this film that as human there's a deep need for us to be appreciated and recognized, a need to belong, a need to be needed and most of all - the need to love and be loved.

This is one film I won't forget. It's better than 'Life is Beautiful' which won the Oscar last year. Could you pls let me know where can I buy a copy of this film? Bec now I'm a big fan of Moodysson/Dahlstrom/Liljeberg. Keep it up!