IMDb > Coming Soon (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Coming Soon More at IMDbPro »

This movie rocks

Author: filmdog36 from Washington, DC
11 February 2003

Some people need to take the boot out of their ass about this movie. No, you don't see a lot of flesh. No, it wasn't earth-shattering. But when you compare it to the usual bland fare that passes for a teen movie these days -- hey, this one is pretty special. It's got a sassy point of view, which is more than I can say for 99% of them out there. It's got good acting and the director definitely knows how to make a scene funny. I laughed my ass off more than once. When you consider that the budget for this baby was probably 1/10th of what your average piece of commerical crap gets, this movie deserves a lot more attention than it got.

Charming and funny

Author: Jeff Frane from Portland, Oregon
9 August 2000

Apparently, the subject of female orgasm is not as "funny" as some guy having sex with an apple pie -- judging by how quickly this movie disappeared (or didn't appear at all) in movie theaters. Three well-to-do high school girls are searching for satisfaction (which *guys* do all the time in Hollywood movies) and not finding it. Ohmigodwecanttalkaboutthat!! Funny and cute movie. Bonnie Root is an attractive and likeable young actress; I'd hope to see more of her in the future.

One of the best things about the movie is that it deals with sex, more or less constantly, without ever resorting to obscenity or nudity or crudity. I know that the lack of nudity will be a disappointment to some, but it would have ruined this film.

Should be coming soon to a TV near you

Author: Mark Dulcey (mark@buttery.org) from Boston, MA
2 January 2001

Coming Soon is a sweet, though not perfect, coming of age story about teenage girls. Despite the difficulties that the director has had getting distribution, there isn't much shocking about the content of the film - only about the concept of young women who actually care about sexual satisfaction. And the ultimate message - that having sex in the context of a loving relationship is key to satisfaction - is even less of a surprise.

The original VHS version of Coming Soon - the one you're likely to find for rent in video stores - is the R-rated cut of the film. The DVD is the unrated version - the version that was shown at film festivals, and which the MPAA gave an NC-17 rating - and also includes director's commentary that reveals where the cuts were made.

I think that young women, and men, will enjoy this film, and get useful messages from it as well.

Give it a chance

Author: Spiral Wisteria from Detroit MI
9 July 2004

I agree this movie is cheesy, but it is has cult indie movie potential. Don't expect award winning performances or gross 'american pie' humour. It really is a movie that girls can relate to.

Three girls discover their sexuality together in a humorous manner. It is full of high school puns and unreal outfits. But you'll laugh, you'll relate on some level and you'll roll your eyes...a lot. I first saw this on cable t.v. and got hooked.

Ryan Renyolds, Mia Farrow and the soundtrack make this movie a silly 'nothing to do on Sunday' flick. Keep an open mind. You'll be happy you did.

nice movie, truer to life than some might believe

Author: widget500 from Ireland
12 November 2005

I watched this movie last night on TV.

Although some of it was a little shoddy (like the ending, and the eventual fate of the two best friends) it was in general quite good.

The point a lot of people miss is that this is EXACTLY how teenage girls from that particular demographic talk and act. They're not articulate, they're pretentious, they waffle on about things they couldn't possibly understand, they're very shallow and they're deeply insecure drama queens. It was actually like being back at school again for me.

Ryan Reynolds also looks like my husband...so I found him pretty sexy (especially singing).

I agree that some of the casting would have been more appropriate if the actors were closer to their characters' ages, and that better editing would have tightened it all up, but it was a nice popcorn movie.

Think of Liv Tyler's character in "Empire Records", this is a movie about girls like that- neurotic, pressurised, rich kids.

It's not going to resonate with everyone, but some of us will actually manage to identify with the whole thing, and then it's really, really funny.

Loved it!

Author: Lauren from Kansas
25 July 2001

I loved this movie! I was smiling the whole time! I think all teenage girls should see it! It was smart, witty, and funny. It's mainly focused on 3 teenage girls trying to have an orgasm. It has a great cast! Bonnie Root does a wonderful job as Stream. And they couldn't of picked a better Henry (Ryan Reynolds). Rent it tonight!

a guilty pleasure

Author: tsf-1962 from United States
6 December 2006

I'm not a big fan of teen sex comedies; indeed, I'm probably the only person in the world who's never watched "Fast Times at Ridgemount High." I never got any when I was in high school, so I'm in no mood to see other people have all the fun I missed out on. However, I saw parts of "Coming Soon" on late night cable a few years ago and have been waiting to see the entire movie. It was worth the wait. All three of the young heroines are achingly beautiful; Bonnie Root in particular shines as good-hearted Stream, the Vermont girl trying to fit in with her tragically hip Manhattan party girl friends. Tricia Vessey brings an appealing vulnerability to the role of Nel, the depressive model who blossoms when she discovers her lesbianism. Gaby Hoffmann, who made such a big impression years ago in "Sleepless in Seattle," is appropriately bitchy as the bossy know-it-all Jenny; with her bangs and dark eyelashes Ms. Hoffmann would have been great as a silent film star. The script is funny and perceptive, and the three leads are supported by a talented cast of veteran performers, especially the hilarious Mia Farrow as Stream's hippie mom. The movie scores satirical points about peer pressure and the overemphasis on getting into a "good school," which makes young people feel like failures if they can't get into an overpriced Ivy League establishment. This film has joined the ranks of "Legally Blonde" and "Heartbreakers" as one of my all-time favorite guilty pleasure chick flicks.

Clever script, funny with very dry overtones and not a spot of violence. Direction spot on to match. A good fun watch but not box office stuff.

Author: ibnkooldown from Bahrain
31 March 2006

Finding time to watch movies is a luxury in my abysmal life pattern, so to sit through an accidental light hearted soirée generates a guilt complex, but I am so glad I did as 'Coming Soon' provides a few hearty chuckles. I accidentally hit on this movie while scrolling the sat channels and almost turned it off, save being attracted to the blandly beautiful Stream (Bonnie Root). One is not sure if the intention is indeed taking the Micky, as it takes a few minutes to figure out that this is indeed a comedy as it is so accurately directed to fit the darker side of the humour (English spelling) in this often brilliant script. So to initially think it is a bad 'American Pie' is not unreasonable, but this script is far superior and clever, if you give it chance and see it for what it is. Quite the opposite of the hugely enjoyable American Pie series. There are also many fabulous catch phrase potentials, had this movie been a box office major. Unfortunately, box office it is not; not even remotely, but a great view for a night in with a DVD or on the channels. Perfect casting, beauties but no idiotic glamour, spot on direction and absolutely no violence which is a God send these days. Don't knock it, 'Coming Soon' is clever.

Needs work

Author: kentatm (kentatm@aol.com) from texas
29 January 2001

I wanted to like this movie. It's not awful, but it's not very good either. There are some moderately funny moments that could have been enhanced by better directing and editing. In fact, that is the main problem with the film. It just seems to float along and never really get started. The dead on portrayal of private school kids and how petty they can be was lost through poor ploting. Also, characters seem to vanish and pop up randomly for no reason. To show you what I mean, I won't explain and leave you the way the movie left me feeling. The acting is OK at best but it's a teen comedy and it's not like I was expecting the best but the reactions to situations is a bit unbelievable. ***SPOILER*** This is most evident when Nell anounces she has had her first orgasm. The girls are happy for her and ask who the guy was. But no! It was a girl! Seems Nellie has a same sex attraction. How this revelation met just after Jenny has been berating the lesbian drummer as "That dike?" "Oh, it was her I did it with" "Thats great Nell!" (all smiles)and on to the next scene. But I digress. Ok for a rainy day but better directing could have really made a difference. 4/10

I've never wanted to stop a movie before its over, then i watched this.

Author: mine657 from United States
18 June 2009

Ryan Reynolds is funny, i saw he was in it so i rented it, Ashton Kutchers even in it! i mean cmon! 2 funny ass guys in the same movie, it must have some potential. but no. according to this horrible atrocity of a movie, when a girl is a senior in high school she is ashamed to be one of the only virgins (this i can some what understand) but then, once they lose it and don't like sex they go on a hunt to get an orgasm and try to enjoy sex, in the proses become a super slut, putting ads in the paper to have sex to try to orgasm. THEY ARE IN HIGHSCHOOL!!! CMON!!! this movie made me feel ashamed of poor girls like this. its a sad day if you watch this, it'll ruin your day. and then the friend Jenny just completely ruined the friend aspect of the movie for me with her ugliness and bitchiness. NEVER SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!! EVER!!!!