IMDb > Camouflage (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Camouflage More at IMDbPro »

Entertaining and funny movie with the great Leslie Nielsen

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
10 July 2005

The picture deals with a unsuccessful actor called Marty Mackenzie (Lochlyn Munro) who takes a work along with a botcher as well as crusty private detective named Jack Porter (Leslie Nielsen). They both take on an assignment and go to a seedy small town ,¨Beaver Ridge¨(in rural Oregon), where a killer is attempting to murder a rich owner who is cared by a beautiful girl (Vanessa Angel) . Mackenzie and P.I. Porter realize that investigating is not as it seemed to be , as they discovers a dark side . While a rugged sheriff (William Forsythe) meddles in their investigations .

It's an agreeable movie but uneven comedy . The film blends humor, suspense , giggles , tongue-in-cheek and is quite amusing . However , there're lots of gaps in the storyline and results to be badly narrated . The movie is a spoof but is different to previous Nielsen films . Thus , the humor is moderated , the characters aren't as excessive or lunatic as ¨Naked gun¨ , ¨Wrongfully accused¨, ¨Spy hard¨ or ¨Mr.Magoo¨ . The picture obtained limited success , it attained a few money at the box office and in a lot of countries was direct to video . The screenwriter was Billy Bob Thornton who is much better like actor because the plot is average . The film was regularly directed by James Keach (he is also better actor than director) . The motion picture will appeal to comedy enthusiasts and Leslie Nielsen fans .

Camouflaaaa.....

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
13 January 2009

'Camouflage' fails to deliver the goods. It pretty much has the required ingredients but the treatment is a let down. Not that I was expecting much other than a few laughters since it has Leslie Nielsen and Lochlyn Munro but the jokes fall flat and nothing the actors do can save that. The film sticks to the main plot most of the time but there are a few scattered plot holes and it is lacking in style and energy. The flat cinematography and poor soundtrack do nothing in its favour. It tends to drag most of the time. Of the cast, Lochlyn Munro stands out as he is the only one who breathes some life into the movie. Leslie Nielsen is let down by an underwritten role and appears more a caricature. Ditto with Vanessa Angel who isn't given much to do in the first place. Thus, there is no surprise in 'Camouflage'. It is just another half-baked wannabe comedy thriller.

The worst movie I have without a doubt ever seen! An insult to Leslie Neilson's Filmography

Author: Ryaniskool from United States
31 December 2006

What starts out as a promising film quickly turns into a winding nightmare of a motion picture. The main character Marty (Lochlyn Munro) is a failed playwright who is the main star in all of his productions. I couldn't have said it better than one of the characters in the movie; "It sucked!". Marty meets up with Detective Jack Potter (Leslie Neilson) and from there it goes downhill. It starts off slow, little or no comedy, and then the only "comedy" it does show happens to be a crazy woman, whom, in her rant, speaks of Elvis and Bigfoot and George Washington being a convicted felon (?). All in all, skip this movie. If you're a Leslie Neilson fan, its disappointing. Heck, if you're even a MOVIE fan, this is disappointing.

A must-have for Lochlyn fans...

Author: Annie (Phob2004@aol.com) from Cincinnati, Ohio
17 July 2001

I ordered Camouflage online and I was really excited when it came in the mail. I am a huge Lochlyn Munro fan, which is what sparked my interest in the film. I popped it in my DVD player as soon as I opened up the package. I was not expecting much out of the movie. Leslie Nielsen narrates throughout the film, which is where many of the funniest lines come from. Lochlyn lived up to all my expectations; he was great throughout the entire movie. Leslie was also good. The acting was definitely not the problem with this movie. So what was the problem? The plot doesn't have too many flaws... It's consistent and makes sense, although there were some holes left unfilled. So if it's not the plot or the acting that's causing the problems, what is it? It's really hard to say. I thought some parts of the movie weren't necessary. Although the sexual content doesn't come near the amount seen in some movies (such as Scary Movie) I felt most of it wasn't necessary. I also think the movie lacked a certain roundness to it. Overall, I would recommend this movie only to fans of the actors in it. Although it isn't a bad movie, I think that if I weren't a Lochlyn Munro fan I would have lost interest and stopped watching during the movie. I give it a 7 out of 10.

2 Lane Highway to Boredom

Author: blodhemn from Singapore
31 August 2001

I had watched this movie expecting a plethora of comedy from laughmeister Leslie Nielsen, but was instead subjected to some poor acting and a silly plot. Lochlyn Munro is just a tad too artificial, and Leslie Nielsen not his usual self. It took me almost half the movie to get into it, and although the movie had its share of laughs, the overall effort left a pretty sick taste in the mouth. I would watch it again, just to have a look at Vanessa Angel, and that's about the only good thing about the movie.

gotta love Lochlyn Munro

Author: mbg411 from United States
28 December 2007

Am I the only one who loves this movie?! The movie is just too hilarious! Leslie Nielsen is a very funny actor and his character is too. I love the part where he says he's gonna make a "minor adjustment" and then breaks Lochlyn's nose! For sure, this movie is a must have for Lochlyn fans! Lochlyn Munro is one of my favorite actors and he has a starring role in this movie as a guy who is even worse as a detective than as an actor. I love the teaming of him and Nielsen.

Unfortunately, Vanessa Angel had to be in the movie too. She is pretty, those lips turn me on! But she is a terrible actress. Her acting has improved over the years though. She reminded me of Wendy Benson from the TV movie "Pretty Poison".

This movie is pretty much for Lochlyn fans like me. It would have been even better if Vanessa Angel wasn't in it.

A shame. It could've been so much...

Author: MPRules from Denmark
24 July 2005

Many big and beloved star actors are going to have a very very bad movie. Tommy Lee Jones had "Hunted" and Leslie Nielsen has "Camouflage". As much as I love Leslie, I still think this movie sucks. It seems to be balancing between fun and boring not knowing whether to be ridiculous or (Leslie's first) serious movie. It is neither. It's a weird detective story with a confusing plot and a few bad jokes. Admitted, there are some funny parts in the movie, but they're too few to call it a funny movie.

A shame because we all know that Leslie is hilariously funny if he gets a good movie to be in. Unfortunately, this is not one. Watch Spy Hard or Wrongfully Accused instead if you want to laugh your a** off.

CAMOUFLAGE, Decent and entertaining

Author: kenshin143
14 January 2001

CAMOUFLAGE is a film noir spoof starring Lochlyn Munro as a failing stage actor who takes a job working with a crusty private investigator (Leslie Nielsen) This takes them to a seedy small town where a murder plot against a wealthy gravel pit owner is being planned.

Munro and Nielsen are surprisingly a good comic team in this decent, entertaining movie. A certain change of pace for Nielsen, escaping from his Frank Drebin role from The Naked Gun. Here he plays a foul mouthed, sharp P.I.

Also starring Patrick Warburton, Vanessa Angel and William Forsythe, CAMOUFLAGE is quite a good film. While most direct to video films are over looked, this one should be seen. A good cast and entertaining scenes make it exceptional.

A Noir/Comedy/Black Comedy /Action Movie (?!!!)

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
28 October 2007

Well, that was definitely a disappointment. At the same time me and my friend just raced who would watch more movies starring (Leslie Nielson) than the other, although not all of his works were at the same quality but we loved him so much as 70- year-old crazy comedian therefore when it came to this one, we just couldn't believe !

The only good Camouflage in here was its propaganda as another (comedy) from the main star of the American cinema's parodies in the 1990s, especially with a good intro by a nice cartoon credit like the pink panther movies ! (Camouflage) turned out to be (Nielson)'s try to take off the robe of farce which had been cohered to him for quite sometime, so here he is just ripping it apart into pieces some of them just didn't remove ! That is why he looked deformed and not in a funny way at all. Simply he didn't make fun of (Bogart)'s familiar method as the typical detective of the 1940s, or even made something of his own; as a parody or else !

Moreover I discovered that (Billy Bob Thornton) is the co-writer of this ??!! Although (Thornton) was a writer or co-writer of 8 movies (till now) but this is the only one he made under the name of (Reginald Perry) ?! Of course the idea of (Nielson) & (Thornton) in one movie is just interesting unlike THIS movie !

So what's about this movie anyway ? It's the worst comic detective story ever because as a comedy obviously there are no laughs !, and as a thriller it's so predictable !, and with the tasteless acting it's altogether standing in that lukewarm middle between seriousness and silliness ! So for sure it's not a comedy, a black comedy about the world's materialism, a small Noir movie (maybe the ugliest wannabe one !), nor an action one, or even a parody of anything !.. OH GOD.. What is it ? Well it's not a new category.. It's a very old one.. : A "weak" movie !

It's not how they could mix the genres together.. It's how they couldn't !

Laugh-out-loud funny Nielsen film is one of his best!

Author: TheGentlemanGhost from Canada
15 January 2001

I am surprised that this comedy went straight-to-video, as it is much funnier than most movies that make theaters.

It is my second favorite Leslie Nielsen film, "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" is his only better.

In this film (which is a spoof of detective films) he is teamed with Lochlyn Munro ("Scary Movie" and "Dead man on Campus") as a retired detective who agrees to do one last case. Many quotable lines!

Do yourself a favour and rent camouflage, trust me, you'll laugh!