IMDb > "Crusade" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Crusade"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Crusade" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Cancelled...and deservedly so

Author: KingJawa from United Kingdom
14 November 2005

I adore B5, just love its complex characters, amazing effects and engaging storyline And I hated Crusade for the failure to do any of the above Crusade was cancelled for the wrong reasons - TNT were fools, but lets face it, what was actually made was awful The characters were boring and Galen was incredibly annoying. The sets were poor, the effects sub standard, the music was dire and the story's were confused - Earth is dying but seems to function pretty well anyway - and why do they keep coming back home when they have a limited amount of time to explore the galaxy's fringe? Where do all these abandoned planets (which can support life) keep coming from - why haven't they been invaded? The show is just boring, good riddance to a bad show. Only a new cast, new sets, new music and a budget 5 times the same could make this worthwhile

Finally something worth watching

Author: Braneloc from Peterborough, England
7 September 1999

At last, something worth commenting on - a real sci-fi show with a continuous plot, a familiar universe, and most importantly a resident wizard. Superb, excellent, and other words of high praise. If this isn't picked up for a second season, there is something seriously wrong with the American TV schedulers/Viewing audience.

Classic science fiction

Author: Paul Thacker from Catlettsbury, KY
2 September 1999

This show is wonderful! It has complex characters and fascinating stories. I particularly liked the episode "The Path of Sorrows." Shown almost entirely in flashbacks, it reveals tragic events in the life of three characters through an alien that lives on forgiveness. This is pure genius! Unfortunately, TNT didn't see this and cancelled the show before it had even aired.

Doesn't Add Up

Author: talon_mortis from United Kingdom
5 January 2007

Crusade was a show with a big challenge, live up to Babylon 5. It didn't, quite frankly. The over-arcing plot was good, most of the characters were well thought out and the ship itself was pretty damned gorgeous. So where did it go wrong? I think the main reason for the cancellation was the 'drabness' that overhung the show. There were a lot of episodes towards the start of the series that were simply weak. From Episode 9 onwards there was a definite improvement, with continuity strengthening and characters being slightly more developed.

Some of the shows good points include the constant references to the Shadows screwing around in the past, possibly hinting at a re-emergence, the Apocalypse Box was a great idea, Max Eilerson, a slimyer company man we never did see. Oh, and of course the episode that directly parodied the X-Files.

Biggest flaw? Galen. He was truly wooden, a big detraction from the pace and mystery of the show. It irks me that of all the characters that they could have brought back for Lost Tales, it would have to be Galen, wouldn't it. Ah well.

So, a cancellation kind of earned. Perhaps B5 was just too good to sequel? After all, Legend of the Rangers came first and that flopped utterly. It makes me wonder just what Lost Tales holds for the future for us.

boring, too much blah blah and bad CGI

Author: trashgang from Midian
11 March 2013

Why some series only have one season is sometimes a mystery. There are so good things out that stopped after one season and that had a lot of viewers and complaints towards the makers to make another season, just watch Invasion (2005) or FlashForward (2009) or even V (2009) and the much acclaimed Walking Dead did had it's problems. But for me Crusade was a failure, even as it was a spin-off of Babylon 5.

Why I wasn't into it had a few reasons, first of all, the CGI used for the year 1999 was rather laughable and terrible. You could even spot in episode 2 how bad the key even was used in the blue key. further there wasn't that much action going on and most of the episodes they were talking and talking. And finally the characters I just couldn't care.

I checked out a lot of top ten lists about science fiction and most of the times this series was in it but not for me. I even admit that I turned it off after a few episodes....

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 1/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5

Why TNT killed Crusade (they wanted out of the contract)

Author: electrictroy from United States
17 July 2009

I'm not going to review the show but in brief: I consider Crusade equal to the original Star Trek's first thirteen episodes. Because it was an exploration ship and had that unusual otherworldy music, for me watching Crusade evokes the same sense of "wonder" and "mystery" and "danger" as the original Trek did. What happened to Crusade is approximately equivalent to if Babylon 5 ended after "Signs and Portents" where the Shadow Ambassador Mr. Morden first unveiled himself. Crusade was a 5-year-story about Earth and the Shadows, but was unfortunately cut short.

Also the recommended airing order is episode 103 (Racing the Night), 101, 102, 104, 105, and so on. IMHO it makes more sense story-wise to follow this production order, rather than following the TNT/DVD order. (The same is true for Star Trek TOS.)

So anyway quoting J.Michael Straczynski (jms):

It was after episode five. We'd gotten minimal notes from TNT, pretty much along the lines of the Warner Bros notes we had in our first season of Babylon 5, so things were going pretty swimmingly. Then, out of nowhere, they gave us the shutdown so they could look at the show. That wasn't a small sign, it was more like an explosion going off on the set.

.....It was only after I had left that I ran into TNT executives who had been working there at the time, who said, 'We're sorry about what happened.' I asked them under promise of confidentiality, and what it came down to was they had done a multi-year audience survey, and finally got the results in right around the time we were shooting episode 5, and it said that the TNT audience does not like or want or respond to SF.

What I was told is that when they saw those figures come in, they decided that they wanted to get out of the contract and use that money to buy repeats of Law & Order, which their survey indicated would be a good buy for them. It you look at the trades for that time, they were kind of surprised when TNT came in on this bidding war and nailed it. Everyone thought their budget for the year had been allocated, so where was this money coming from? By sheer coincidence, the money they paid is equal to what they were going to pay for a full season of Crusade.

Plus they didn't want to have to pay for the first 13. By trying to say it wasn't the show they ordered, they were trying to get out of paying anything and stick Warners with the bill. That was the purpose of the notes that came through. They could say, 'We gave them notes, and they wouldn't do them.' No, because they were egregious and wrong and I couldn't do them, but at the time, I knew none of this.

And as one TV person told me after the fact, "Had you done every single note that they asked you for, they would have found some other reason to get out of that contract." They were trying to paper their way out of the deal, which makes me even gladder that I stood up when I did. - jms

In my opinion:

TNT sounds like a bunch of shysters: (1)Sign a contract (2) Change your mind (3) And manufacture excuses not to pay for the 13 episodes produced.

Great series--too bad it was canceled

Author: bpeck13 from Washington State, United States
7 October 2008

This is a spin off of the Babylon 5 TV series. However, you don't really need any knowledge of the Babylon 5 series to enjoy it. To best understand this series, watch the prequel movie A Call to Arms first.

It is too bad this series was cut short. It was interesting and Gary Cole made a great lead actor—not your typical stuffy military-type at all. He cheats, he lies, he speaks his mind regardless of rank, and he breaks the rules--but always for the right reasons.

The worst part is that the series just stops mid-stream/mid-season. They should have finished out the season and found a way to wrap things up. So what if it was only a one-year series? At least the viewers wouldn't have been left just hanging with no conclusions or closures. They talk about fan/viewer loyalty—how about reciprocating some of that loyalty to the viewers??? Don't get us hooked just to slam the door in our faces!! I liked the series very much and would have liked to see it continued

Another series canceled before its time

Author: TheSentinel68 from Louisville, Kentucky
17 April 2008

I just recently finished watching all 13 episodes of Crusade, and I must say, it had potential. I liked the design of the Excalibur(which reminded me of the rockets used in The Martian Chronicles mini-series). Most of all, I liked the main characters and some of the guest stars that were on the show.

It's a shame that TNT had to be pig-headed about the show. Sometimes major networks don't know artistic freedom, integrity, quality, or originality, period. I can understand J. Michael Straczynski's frustration over the entire incident.

It may not be Babylon 5, but it was a decent sequel to that show, and it had potential.

Here is to hoping that, like Futurama, we'll see the return of Crusade and the crew of the starship Excalibur.

Too bad............

Author: stefan from Helmond, Netherlands
7 April 2008

After reading the reviews from others I can say it's to bad that the series is cancelled because of different opinions from J. Michael Stracynski and TNT, since when is it more important to do what the production company wants, they have to listen more to what the public wants. And if you sell the product all over the world as in the Netherlands you have to keep in mind that there are more fans than they know. The 13th episode was the last and no renewal is in sight. A lot of the episodes were pretty good. I curse TNT for cancelling this science fiction gem. Hopefully, some day, a SMART network (like SciFi channel) will revive the show. By the way I am from the Netherlands so my English is maybe not so good then other countries but I think I made my point.

Had great potential

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
6 July 2007

When you introduce a new story and new characters in the world of "Babylon 5" you have got a lot to live up to! At first I hated the idea of a ship traveling in unknown space to explore and search for a cure to heal the human race! The traveling part reminded me too much of Star Trek! But when I saw how they handled different subjects I did recognize some elements that made "Babylon 5" so brilliant! What I did miss was some tension that played a big part in the Babylon 5 universe! I knew that if this series had gotten the chance to continue it would have been just as great as "Babylon 5" was! Some shows need time to grow and tell the story! The first season of "Babylon 5" also needed time to develop and to make sense! From what I have seen "Crusade" had great potential and that's why it is sad that they canceled it!

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]