IMDb > "The 700 Club" (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The 700 Club" More at IMDbPro »

Fascinating, yet repulsive.

Author: brett-61
12 June 2002

I watched a few episodes out of morbid curiosity while in the US. Never before have I seen a programme which so overtly tells its audience what to think, how to feel, how to respond and what to do. Pat Robertson can barely disguise his personal loathing for Europeans, single mothers, gays and lesbians, atheists, humanists, and a virtual pantheon of non-American, non-fundamentalist-Christian, non-rightwing spooks, demons and bugbears that populate his (and indeed his audience's) paranoid delusion.

Fascist TV

Author: Kaiketsu (bjorn.mattsson@lycos.com) from Arvika, Sweden
22 December 2002

Since I'm a European I didn't get the chance to see it until it went online at the CBN site. Anyway, this is a great show if you are a fascist or if you can't think for yourself. Lucky enough we don't have this kind a crap in Europe.

Robertson and his fundy christian pal Jerry Falwell blamed the socialists, the liberals, the atheists, the abortionists etc. for "allowing" the attack on the WTC(9/11) to happen. Tells you a lot about the IQ level of the most prominent figures of the extreme christian right(read: fascist).

Watch for it for a laugh.

Meaningless patrio-religious group think

Author: Lady-of-Rohan from New Zealand
19 March 2005

Before I start, I just need to something straight: I have absolutely nothing against Jesus. And I have absolutely no problem with anyone who has faith. Any questions? Good. Let's move on.

Have you ever watched someone on TV so incredibly grating and annoying you wish they would just shrivel up and die? If not, welcome to the colorful world of The 700 Club; a news show where earth shattering topics such as school prayer, army chaplains, Christian music, and age-defying milkshakes are delivered into the hungry hands of red-state America.

Three of the most painfully looking news anchors in the history of television host a 30 minute show about the Christian life. While that may sound uplifting, don't be fooled. This show targets and destroys (much like a heat seeking missile) Muslims, Jews, Hindus, non- Christian "cults", gays, feminists, democrats, Christian liberals, and everything else under the sun for the world's problems. This makes the show about as comfortable as sitting on a long plane flight next to someone who asks you if you've heard the good news about Jesus.

But the worst of this show can be said in two words: Gordon Robertson. This idiot stands in front of the camera as if he's the salt of the earth, permanently portraying his smug smile and ghastly hair to the masses. Not only that but his forehead is so monstrously big, it actually distracts you from listening to what he has to say.

The 700 Club is a show that's entertaining if you're looking for a laugh but case in point: if you're looking for uplifting spiritual guidance, The 700 Club will do nothing for help.

Pure garbage

Author: DrSamba from New Hampshire
7 April 2003

If you believe that the earth was created in only six days, that there really was a flood that wiped out almost all human life on earth except for a drunk and a few family members, that a big fish swallowed a man alive and spat him out just as alive three days later, and that the God who could do all of these amazing deeds needs YOUR money to keep doing them, this is the show for you!

Or maybe you want to watch this smarmy weasel just for laughs, to see what outrageous idiocy is going to come out of his mouth next. Whatever you do, don't send him money.

This show makes FOX news look like Martin Sheen

Author: Bostimore_Marychusetts from Boston Mass.
28 May 2004

I'm sorry but from what I've seen with this show they've had the most inaccurate Polls they've been wanting to censor Ernie and Bert from Sesame Street and have Will and Grace Cancelled and I've heard Fox occasionally say that the Liberals dislike America (whis is false) but never had I ever heard a broadcasting network belive that the Democrats are all against God that explains enough. Weird as it may seem they've aired this show on many of the same networks that play Movies with Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Kate Hudson, Cameron Diaz and Johnny Depp which we all know are anything but Conservative Hacks Even my very christian Grandmother dislike's this show because she comes from a more liberal Branch of Christianity that belives that Jesus wanted to bring peace among his people not ahve the whole world worship him and if you did not than you would go to Hell

This show is pure wickedness. It is evil incarnate.

Author: HoldenSpark from Big D
11 July 2004

I don't believe there has ever been a more evil or wicked television program to air in the United States as The 700 Club. They are today's equivalent to the Ku Klux Klan of the 20th century. Their hatred of all that is good and sweet and human and pure is beyond all ability to understand. Their daily constant attacks upon millions and millions of Americans, as well as billions of humans the world over, who don't happen to share their bigoted, cruel, monstrous, and utterly insane view of humanity is beyond anything television has ever seen. The lies they spout and the ridiculous lies they try to pass off as truth, such as the idea of "life after death" or "god" or "sin" or "the devil" is so preposterous that they actually seem mentally ill, so lost are they in their fantasy. Sane people know that religion is a drug and shouldn't let themselves get addicted to that type of fantasy. However, The 700 Club is in a class by itself. They are truly a cult. While I believe in freedom of speech, they way they spread hatred, lies, disinformation, and such fantastic ideas is beyond all limits. I hope that one day the American Psychiatric Association will finally take up the study of those people who delude themselves in this way, people who let themselves sink so deeply into the fantasy land of religion that they no longer have any real concept of reality at all. Treatment for such afflicted individuals is sorely needed in this country, as so many people have completely lost their minds to the fantasy of religion. The 700 Club though, is even more horrible as it rises to the legal definition of 'cult' but due to The 700 Club's vast wealth (conned daily from the millions of Americans locked in their deceitful grip) they are above the law in this country. For those of you who have seen the movie "The Matrix" you know that movie was a metaphor for religion on earth: the evil ones who are at the top of each of the religions who drain the ones they have trapped and cruelly abuse for their own selfish purposes, and those millions who are held in a death sleep and slowly being drained of their life force represent those many people who belong to religions and who have lost all ability to perceive what is really going on around them.

In less civil times, the good townsfolk would have run such monsters as those associated with The 700 Club out of town with torches and pitchforks. But in today's world where people have lost all choice in their choices of television that is presented to them, we have no way to rid ourselves of the 700 Club plague.

The television ratings system and the "V" chip on TV's should also have a rating called "R" for religion, so that rational people and concerned parents could easily screen such vile intellectual and brutal emotional rape, such as presented by The 700 Club every day all over our country, from themselves and their children.

700 Club is a Cult of hate

Author: nacoran from United States
24 April 2007

It's interesting to see that all the posts are negative at first, and then apparently a 700 Club fan saw the listing and got the propaganda machine running.

The 700 Club preaches hate and intolerance under the guise of religion. Either Pat Robertson is truly unbalanced, or a brilliant genius who has created a cult of personality to reap great financial rewards, or both. There are a lot of posts where people say they watch to get angry. I just hope none of them are Nielsen families.

This man and his ilk are the only things that ever makes me doubt the wisdom of free speech.

It would be funny, except...

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
26 June 2006

Except people apparently buy into this garbage! As shows like "Moral Orel" have shown, even if you tried to make the most outrageous, over-the-top parody of evangelism you could possibly think of, it wouldn't come close to the hilarity of this show. It's hard to tell what's even going on when you're watching it. Is it a news show? A talk show? Who knows!? They start out by reporting on various international news stories, but at seemingly random points, the news is interrupted by this odd, troll-like little man with a forehead bigger than his entire face, mumbling and laughing and generally being creepy.

Pat Robertson doesn't even seem like such a bad guy at first glance. He just seems like a senile, yet harmless old coot stuck in his archaic beliefs (like most of our grandparents). But this is a man who has called for an assassination, who has befriended and offered aid to not one, but TWO murderous dictators, who has illegally used donation money to run diamond mines, who has SUPPORTED forced abortions in China, and who regularly implies that Caucasians (straight American male Caucasians in particular) are superior to all other races.

Still, this would all be funny, except that he apparently has a large enough fan base to keep his little show on the air 40 years later (either that, or enough money to bribe some TV executives who don't give a damn what they show). The idiocy of the show becomes alarming when you realize that some people, somewhere, must be watching it and hanging onto every word. Even when Robertson has repeatedly shown how corrupt he is, people still listen to him. I don't know if it's funny or scary. I guess a healthy mixture of both.

The type of show that makes you wanna poke your eye's out

Author: degeorgetitanic from Honeoye, New York
5 December 2007

Before I start...let me say that I fully believe in God. I believe in Heaven and in Hell. Kay now that thats out of the way, I just wanna say that What in the world do these morons that call themselves "hosts" think they are doing?? The last time I checked a host doesn't discriminate, spew hatred filled rants on TV, or try to shove their own beliefs down every unfortunate soul that ventures onto the channel. ALl of these that crazy, idiotic, conservitive, bible thumping, Fred Phelps lover Pat Robertson does daily. I am all for free speech, but since when does that cover a guy who pretty much says that if you venture off his ideal way of life you are right away sent to hell? This is just a perfect example of why religion is the cause of SOOOO many problems. One day in my class room we had a substitute teacher in so we decided to watch some TV since the teach didn't give us any work. And we (against many of us's will) watched 700's Club, and of course that jerk Pat was on ranting and raving about the bible, and he said Simon along the lines of "God says Homosexuality is a sin" and I actually heard a kid go "Hmm I guess he's right." WTF??? Seriously, if the host is trying to make people think that someone else's sexual orientation is a huge sin, then they seriously need to take that host, duct tape them, and throw them off of a cruise liner in the middle of the arctic.

aa right wing news program with christian influence

Author: LONESOLO
12 August 2004

A talk show in which christian views, right wing political views, and the agenda of the republican party are brought forth in a one hour news and interview style format. Pat Robertson is truly a media master mind as he lays out his media message and supports his political agenda in a show that is one hour of religious propaganda. (yes I would say that to his face) I recommend this show to those who enjoy this sort of of programming. I dont recommend this program to liberals or people offended by heavy attacks on liberal lifestyles and liberal media. I believe this man to be a polite man but gone is the shows original format of no news and more ministry. His endorsement of the republican party lays it out as a party of god so to speak when there are just as many christians who are libererals or democrates .....yet he never acknowledges that.