IMDb > 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
10 Things I Hate About You

10 Things I Hate About You More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 56: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

One Word:HOT

Author: krayzie_33 from United states
3 January 2002

The reason i gave this movie a 5 is cause of Larisa. She is one of the hottest and finest girls i have ever seen. If she wasn't in this i would have given this a 1, maybe a 2 (very doubtful). Because this movie is pretty much the same as any teen movie these days and one of the reasons they do well is what stars are in the movies and they did really good at putting Larisa in this......she should be in more movies!

Enjoyable, but nothing special...

Author: anonymous from Coventry, England
26 July 1999

OK, If you don't have anything else to do, go and watch this movie, you will pass one and half hour nicely. You may laugh sometimes, but then you will go home and you will forget everything in a few hours.

The movie is nothing special. Of course it is based on the old well-known story, so everything is predictable, but still I expected something more... Actually, I think the direction was not so good and I didn't like the acting too, especially of the "good" sister.

No passion, no surprise, no suspense, just some fun...

Overall: Very old-fashion (80s) and I think we had enough from this style of movies

10 things is entertaining, yet predictable and trite

Author: Mitesh Popat from Oxford, OH
1 May 1999

Most people who have seen 10 things, generally are bubbling from the storybook ending...boy gets girl, etc. (don't want to give it away :-)) But when you think about the movie in retrospect, you realize how unoriginal the material, how loosely-based the Shakespeare connotations are, how "average" the acting is, and how unrealistic it is. Putting these things aside, however, you will be entertained (putting all disbelief aside). It is a decent movie, but few scenes "stick" in your mind and your recollection of the movie will become "yeah, it was good." If you are looking to be entertained (or a date flick), and there isn't a better movie out there (that doesn't have the 3rd rock kid in the lead), you won't be disappointed.

Sophomoric sex shoots down Shakespeare

Author: james m. foley (jmatfoley@aol.com) from Chicago
11 April 1999

Likeable characters, a plot with hundreds of successful years behind it, some really charming interaction between the characters and the energy of new attractive leads all comes to a screaming halt for decidedly unfunny sex jokes. When sex is mentioned, the confidence and wit that propel much of the movie disappears. There's rarely a joke about sex, mostly there's just a mention of it as if it was the punchline. Too bad, they squander engaging performances by both leads and several of the characters.

Gee A neat sountrack with a movie attached!

Author: Emit73 from Ottawa, Canada
7 April 1999

10 things I hate about you... The b@stard spawn of the John Hughes school of film making? I think so. A sappy teen flick who's saving grace was that it is based "Very loosely" on a Great Play. I'm still not sure which the producers were attempting to sell more, the characters or the soundtrack.. and you you Really CAN'T miss the soundtrack, Then again you really CAN'T miss the Mass of offensive clichés, the lack of subtext, the tepid script, the pain and suffering of the actors that must carry the movie, and the true horror/agony/pain of realizing that many high school students will now avoid reading the text and simply see the flick. How many times can Shakespeare roll over in his grave in one decade any ways?

10 things I hated about this movie

Author: Matt Conner from Houston
1 April 1999

1. The pathetic, one-dimensional characters, with the exceptions of Bianca, Patrick, and Kat.

2. That the "10 things" sonnet at the end of the movie really had about 14 things.

3. That either Kat's transitions were edited out or she spontaneously bounced from bitch to lovable and back again, giving no reasons at all.

4. That Cameron and Bianca looked too young for high school while Patrick, Kat, the nerdy guy, and the model looked old enough for college.

5. That the school band, consisting of maybe two dozen total members, practiced on the same field as every other athletic team in school AT THE SAME TIME.

6. That they never identified the band "letters to cleo". I'm sorry, they're not popular enough to recognize by SOUND, much less by sight.

7. That Bianca's prom dress was inspired by "I Dream of Jeannie" meeting Clueless.

8. That there was an entire relationship developed with the Shakespearean angle, with the nerd and Kat's friend, for no reason and with no logic.

9. That this much sexual content and foul language was allowed in a PG-13 movie, AND

10. That I really didn't completely hate this movie. While it didn't even have the low level of charm that Shakespeare's original dull play had, the actors were cute and the jokes occasionally funny. Very few of the characters matched their analogues in Taming of the Shrew, but for this movie it didn't matter. While I feel that I wasted my time seeing this, I'm voting it a 4, very high for a movie I didn't even like.

Still enjoy it many years on

Author: leahladybug4 from Australia
30 November 2008

Firstly let me say I'm 23 and I first saw this one it first came out in the cinemas when I was 13 - and promptly loved it, bought the soundtrack and a year or two ago bought the movie. The two couples have good chemistry and play their characters with feeling, the music was up to date, up beat and completely fitting for when it came out and still fun to listen to now. Also around that time and still today I am Shakespeare buff and am always happy to sit down and take a look and a new adaptation.

I'm not going to say that the fashion has dated and some of the ideals have too because they have but honestly in comparison to the other teen films coming out right now this is well written and well acted by people who have gone on to do amazing things and who actually played characters who were both likable and relatable. As I said before I'm 23 and saw this for the first time when I was 13 and even ten years on I can still sit down and enjoy nearly everything about this movie and yes I still have the soundtrack....somewhere.

Just great teen update of "Taming of the Shrew"

Author: preppy-3 from United States
4 May 2007

At Pardu High School young perky sophomore Bianca Stratford (Larisa Oleynik) wants to date--but her overprotective father (Larry Miller) won't let her until her older sister Katerina (Julia Stiles) dates. Problem is Katerina hates everybody! Cameron James (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) wants to date Bianca and hires tough boy Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) to date Katerina. Trouble is Patrick falls for Katerina...

I can't believe I'm giving a 10 to a teen comedy (I'm in my 40s!) but I loved this! It's bright, full of color, quick with many interesting characters and some absolutely hysterical one liners. I laughed out loud more than once! The script is sharp and just great--it updates Shakespeare's play in a very affectionate manner.

The acting is just perfect. Stiles has already proved she's a good actress--she plays the comedy and drama to perfection. Oleynik is perfect as her younger sister--she could have been too perky but she wasn't. Gordon-Levitt is touching in his role. Allison Janney has a few hysterical bits as guidance counselor Ms. Perky and Andrew Keegan plays the drop dead handsome but obnoxious jerk Joey Donner very well--his verbal fights with Stiles really work! Ledger is just OK.

There's also a great soundtrack and some truly funny outtakes during the closing credits along with the band Letters from Cleo belting out a song on top of the school! The only negative I have is that there was a bit too much swearing and sexual innuendo for a PG-13 movie. Still, I loved this movie from beginning to end--funny and moving. Highly recommended!

Better than your average teen movie

Author: michelle-rutherford from United States
14 March 2006

As someone firmly in her late 20's, this is not the kind of movie I expected to love. However, "10 Things" is in my personal Top 10 favorite movie list. This movie introduced me to Julia Stiles, and to Heath Ledger, two excellent young actors. It also began my obsession with being serenaded with "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" by a handsome man. Good thing my husband obliged. Back to the movie. Upon my first viewing, I didn't know about the "Taming of the Shrew" connection, but really enjoyed it upon that realization. The acting and casting were great, and this movie serves as a refreshing alternative to the scream-filled sex romps seen in other 'teen movies'. I even got my husband to watch it with me. 'Nuff said.

Great movie

Author: blessed_angel22 from Australia
6 March 2006

I have to say that this is one of my all-time favorite movies. It has a cast good, camera work and the plot is great. It leaves you feeling satisfied and happy. Being different from a lot of teenage movies today it has substance and contains characters rather than thin pretty superficial girls. The music gives the movie a happy down to earth feel and there is lots of great comments and quotes to pick up. Easily laughable. There isn't any other movies similar in plot so you know you'll be watching a unique story when you view this movie. This is the sort of film you can watch over and over without getting tired of it. I highly recommend it to anyone.