IMDb > 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
10 Things I Hate About You

10 Things I Hate About You More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 57: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Relates to Everyones Lives

Author: jess_balance from United States
18 July 2006

This movie is wonderful it shows you just how rough life can be and how high school today is. I know that in my school there were different groups that you would see such as the "Jocks" Which would contain of people that lived for sports and watched every game off every sport and were always starters at every sport. Then there was the "Preps" Which contained of people that always thought they were best and always tried to look better then any one else... And was up to date with there fashion sense. Then there was the "Stoners" Which would involve the people with that bad boy/girl image even if they might have been the most innocent thing out there. But when you look at a person you decide then and there if you like them... and 10 things i hate about you represents that. You learn one thing for sure in high school... Never go for a guy or a girl that is out of your range such as the geek going for the home coming queen. Well this movie pa-trays that. Cause Cameron goes for popular girl Biyacca which they end up dating but right at the start you decide she is going to end up with the model Joey. Well I have a Short little story that deals with getting paid to date someone. I know this guy that was paid to go out with my friend and this story can Relate to EVERYONES lives! I promise you that!

Typical Teen Movie About 10 Things

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
7 August 2008

'10 Things I Hate About You' is pretty much a typical teen movie that has nothing new to offer. It follows all those clichés about girl not liking guy in the beginning, guy woos her, girl likes him, there's a conflict, guy and girl split and then girl likes him again. Said to be based on 'The Taming Of The Shrew', this adaptation is fairly week and it would easily be lost among the dozens of forgettable teen films. However, it does have its funny moments. Plus, the chemistry between the actors makes some scenes work. The cast does work in favour. Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt do quite well. Larisa Oleynik and Julia Stiles irritate a lot in the beginning but in the latter half of the film, they improve. Allison Janney is a scene stealer as the principal/aspiring erotic novel writer. It is not a bad movie by any means, just not a very good one.

This was a story by Shakespeare?

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
28 November 2003

It's kinda weird that people say this story was based off of a Shakespeare story, yet no one ever mentions what this was based on. But 10 Things I Hate About You is one of the classic teen movies that came out of the 90's that was actually pretty good. It had a great cast, the story was original and a lot of fun, and the whole movie made you laugh and feel good. This was the movie that really sky rocketed Heath Ledger's career in America and I remember in school how all the girls were just drooling over him. Also all the guys fell in love with Julia Styles, she was also just awesome in this movie and made for a good strong female lead. This movie captured a great amount of what most teens go through in their world, wither it's just wanting to be different, popular, having an over protective parent, dealing with sex and rejection, this movie just worked on so many levels.

Cameron James, the new kid at Padua High School, is given a tour of the school by Michael, who is an audio-visual geek. Michael provides Cameron with information on the school's various cliques. During the tour, Cameron spots the beautiful and popular Bianca and is immediately smitten with her. Michael warns that Bianca is shallow, conceited, and worst of all, not allowed to date. Michael does, however, inform Cameron that Bianca is looking for a French tutor. Bianca's outcast sister Kat is another problem of hers' as well as her protective father, Walter, as he wants Kat to attend college nearby and wants Bianca to not date thinking it will lead to pre-marital pregnancy. Bianca begs her father to allow her to date, but is rejected, Kat's aversion to dating prompts the father to come up with a new rule: Bianca can only date if Kat is dating. Cameron starts tutoring Bianca, and she informs him of her father's rule. This news motivates Cameron and Michael to set out to find a boy who is willing to date Kat. Patrick Verona, an outcast who is just as ill-tempered as Kat. Cameron tries asking Patrick for his assistance, Cameron pays Patrick to take Kat out. Patrick agrees, but Kat, however, wants nothing to do with Patrick. Leading into Dawson's Creek drama.

If you do have the opportunity to see 10 Things I Hate About You I do recommend that you take the chance. It's a good movie and doesn't push you around or play games with you, and that's why everyone loved it, because it was just honest. Plus you just have to love the adorable scene where Heath Ledger sang to Julia Styles on the bleachers and got chased around by security, if that's not love and commitment, then I don't know what is. It has a great happy ending and just makes you feel good.

Good Flick But Far Yet From Being A 10

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
9 May 2000

To see or not to see? That is the question isn't it? Although simplistic at times, I do recommend everyone to see " The 10 Things I Hate About You." The movie is yet another one of those adolescent modern stories that are based on old shakespearean plays. The difference with this one is that it does work. Why? I will give well what about 10 reasons for you: 1) Humorous screenplay 2) Well-ensembled acting 3) Julia Stiles 4) Adequate duration time 5) Julia Stiles 6) Larry Miller's obsessive parental performance 7) Julia Stiles 8) Nifty soundtrack 9) Julia Stiles 10) Feel good movie

Did i forget to say Julia Stiles? Ms. Stiles demonstrates that she does have a promising future in the acting business. It might not be a perfect 10, but " The 10 Things I Hate About You" gets high marks. **** Good

Is This Maybe The Best Teen Rom-Com Ever?

Author: zkonedog from United States
9 April 2017

(Right off the bat, I'm reviewing this film as a stand-alone movie without any connection to Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew", which supposedly the film is based on. I've never read that particular play, but looking through the plot synopsis it bares only a passing resemblance to this flick...at least in my opinion. As such, I'll be reviewing based solely on the viewing experience.)

Though perhaps not my favorite genre of film, I can usually get into a teen romantic comedy/drama as long as it is done right. Despite being pretty much prime age (15) for this one when it first come out (1999), for some reason I had not (until now) seen the whole thing straight through. What I discovered after finally crossing it off my watch list is that "10 Things I Hate About You" is one of the most engaging, witty, emotional, and all-around best teen movies I have ever seen.

The plot of the movie can be a bit cumbersome to explain, but here are the basics: Bianca (Larisa Oleynik) is the prettiest, most desired girl in high school. This certainly does not escape the eyes of new kid Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), who desperately wants to take her out. The problem? Due to a very strict father (Larry Miller), Bianca is not allowed to date until sister Katarina (Julia Stiles) does, and Kat has no interest in high school culture (thus dating) whatsoever. As such, Cameron--with the help of pretty boy Joey (Andrew Keegan)--enlists the help of school bad boy Patrick (Heath Ledger) to woo Kat so he can have a shot at Bianca.

"10 Things" has a special energy to it that never wanes from beginning to end. It also expertly combines the stereotypical language/activities one is used to seeing in a teen movie (at least one from the late 90s!) while at the same time turning them on their head (usually via Kat's snarky remarks). Basically, it is the perfect combination of "fun" and "deep" (in that special way that only high school can be "deep").

Only helping matters, of course, is the incredible cast. I mean, just look at the above names! At the time most of these actors were relative unknowns, so that fact that most of them are established or legendary in the business today is quite an accomplishment.

About the only "ding" I give this movie is one area where it is a bit transparent: In the early goings, the film expects audiences to believe that: A. Stiles' character could never get a date; & B. Ledger's character is a true "bad boy". Neither of these things really work because Stiles is probably the most beautiful woman in the movie and Ledger is too handsome to really pull of "mysterious". Fortunately, the film doesn't require a total buy-in on this point (almost as if the filmmakers realized it themselves and didn't hit those characterizations so hard as the film went on), but for a while it is a bit ridiculous.

Overall, though, I was incredibly impressed by "10 Things I Hate About You" and actually kind of mad at myself for missing out on its greatness for so long! I have a relatively high "BS meter" when it comes to movies like this, but "10 Things" captured my interest from the get-go and never saw me wane. Perhaps this sounds a bit clichéd, but what "The Breakfast Club" is for 80s teens is similar to what "10 Things" accomplishes for the subsequent decade. That isn't a statement I make lightly, either.

10 Things to make a good teen movie.

Author: goalsmistakesfootball
1 October 2016

10 Things I Hate About You is the perfect teen movie- hands down. It has a lot of competition but is perfect. It has the love story, the rebel story, the stupid story, the crazy teacher story and Alison Janney being very strange. I was eleven when I first watched this film and I loved it and I still do it will always be a classic in my mind despite the measly 7.2 rating on IMDb. Don't be put off by the rating for that is not an accurate representation of the film. An Accurate representation of the film would be in the nine star region. A wonderful high school love story starring the late great Heath Ledger, Oscar Winner, and Joseph Gordon Levitt, star of Inception, one of the greatest films of all time, the talent in this film is very fresh and young at the time and the stars of the film grew up to be world renowned for their acting. The movie based on a Shakespeare play fits under the feel good genre, so if you want to be happy watch 10 Things I Hate about you: It is guaranteed to brighten your mood. It is also perfect for a teen in a high school situation. It is a movie for everybody! And so it should be because everybody deserves 10 Thing I Hate About You!

great movie

Author: Meri Po from Armenia
9 August 2016

one of the best movies about love and trust. This is not just a movie about teenage love, it is much deeper. It is about breaking stereotypes. heath ledger is on the top. great act, great songs and great cast. Every single person,should watch this movie and take something from it because it has a piece for everyone.I have already watched it more than 3 times,and I am not getting bored,because every time,it shows you differently.his movie makes you believe that love can change everyone and everything on this planet.You need to wait for that special one who is ready to do everything for you,everything to fulfill your dreams and become a dream for you.

Nothing to hate about this one!

Author: Predrag (pzivojinovic@yahoo.com) from Serbia
21 June 2016

The movie is based on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. It is about two sisters Bianca (Larisa Oleynik) and Katarina "Kat" Stratford (Julia Stiles). Bianca is the popular sister who wants to start dating a popular boy, Joey Donner (Andrew Keegan)and Kat is the social outcast. Trying to keep his daughters from dating for fear they may get pregnant, their paranoid father (Larry Miller) makes a family rule where Bianca cannot date until Kat does, which seems impossible. New kid Cameron (Joseph Gordon Levitt) has a huge crush on Bianca and, thinking Bianca likes him in return and wants to date him, he and his friend Michael Eckman (David Khumoltz) devises a scheme where they try to pair Kat off with the school "Bad Boy" Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger).

The dialogue is pretty clever, sharp, and well written. It is head and shoulders above most teen comedies of the last decade. The actors are all well suited for their roles and are enjoyable to watch. Larissa Oleynick is as cute as a bug. Allison Janney from "The West Wing" has a hilarious, but all too brief role as the school's guidance counselor who is in the middle of writing a trashy sex novel. David Leisure also appears as the gym teacher. It is unfair that this movie has to have the tag of "teen movie" attached to it. To some people, that equals poison. Especially in this day and age. I'm telling you right now people, this movie is better than that. This is enjoyable for any age. It's funny, cute, and has more depth and intelligence than most of these movies combined. If only all teen movies of this modern era could be as delightful as this one.

Overall rating: 8 out of 10.

A excellent adaptation of a classic

Author: david p from United Kingdom
6 July 2012

I don't tend to do reviews of films as I watch films I like and like the films I watch. Films that I have no interest in or don't like I don't watch. Therefore most of my reviews come out as gushing sections of superlative prose, showing only positive criticism of anything. My reviews don't tend to give any negative comments. However this film deserves my praise.

This film is a case in point. I love it.

I was 25 when this film was released and so was arguably at or above the age range that this was targeted at. I was aware of this when I choose to watch it, and being male was a little quiet about my willingness / keenness to watch it.

I generally don't re-watch films. There are a few exceptions; epics like Lord of the Rings; classics like Star Wars and comedies like Spaceballs, Hot Shots and Monty Python. Even then I haven't watched them that many times. However 'Ten Things I hate about you' I have watched again and again – not obsessively five times in a day, but probably once a year (or more) since it was released.

Why do I keep coming back to this film? I don't know, but everything about it exudes quality. I'm male, cantankerous, stubborn and cynical but this film is emotional and of such a calibre that it affects me each time.

The plot is not simple, it is a number of different people and how one persons goal affects and intertwines them all. Only later did I discover that this was based on Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare, no wonder it presents as a well written and carefully thought out story.

The acting from all the main parts, lead and supporting roles are excellent. Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger play the main leads with superb skill, as if the roles were made for them. The music is all well chosen and exactly appropriate to the scenes.

But what makes it for me, what holds the whole film together as an excellent portrayal of a superb story is the overprotective but exquisitely loving and caring character that is the father to the main female protagonist. Larry Miller does an excellent job of giving the story meaning and holding all the story together. Without this father figure with his rule about dating for his daughters, there would be no story.

It is slightly predictable, but in away that doesn't distract from the film in anyway.

It is one of my favourites, and I suspect always will be, despite not being sci-fi or fantasy based, despite being a little chick flick, despite being based on a classic work of literature.

The film just works. 9/10

Made better by Heath!

Author: ukclaire_475 from Manchester
12 May 2012

10 Things I Hate About You is a generally nice, fun and easy going film to watch. This is the first time I had ever seen Julia Styles in a role and I thought her acting went way beyond what is normally expected from a typical 'teenage' flick. She is so believable. Just saw her In Dexter and I cannot believe she still looks exactly the same all these years later.

I remember watching this all those years ago and totally falling madly in love with Heath Ledger and realising how amazing he is in this film. OK it pains in significance with his future roles e.g. Brokeback/Dark Knight etc but all the same he does carry this movie. Joseph-Gordon Levitt also is very good.

It's a nice film that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. I enjoy it as much now in my late twenties as I did in my late teens.

It's a must for Heath Ledge fans, especially the singing on the stairs scene.