IMDb > 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
10 Things I Hate About You

10 Things I Hate About You More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 55: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A excellent adaptation of a classic

Author: david p from United Kingdom
6 July 2012

I don't tend to do reviews of films as I watch films I like and like the films I watch. Films that I have no interest in or don't like I don't watch. Therefore most of my reviews come out as gushing sections of superlative prose, showing only positive criticism of anything. My reviews don't tend to give any negative comments. However this film deserves my praise.

This film is a case in point. I love it.

I was 25 when this film was released and so was arguably at or above the age range that this was targeted at. I was aware of this when I choose to watch it, and being male was a little quiet about my willingness / keenness to watch it.

I generally don't re-watch films. There are a few exceptions; epics like Lord of the Rings; classics like Star Wars and comedies like Spaceballs, Hot Shots and Monty Python. Even then I haven't watched them that many times. However 'Ten Things I hate about you' I have watched again and again – not obsessively five times in a day, but probably once a year (or more) since it was released.

Why do I keep coming back to this film? I don't know, but everything about it exudes quality. I'm male, cantankerous, stubborn and cynical but this film is emotional and of such a calibre that it affects me each time.

The plot is not simple, it is a number of different people and how one persons goal affects and intertwines them all. Only later did I discover that this was based on Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare, no wonder it presents as a well written and carefully thought out story.

The acting from all the main parts, lead and supporting roles are excellent. Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger play the main leads with superb skill, as if the roles were made for them. The music is all well chosen and exactly appropriate to the scenes.

But what makes it for me, what holds the whole film together as an excellent portrayal of a superb story is the overprotective but exquisitely loving and caring character that is the father to the main female protagonist. Larry Miller does an excellent job of giving the story meaning and holding all the story together. Without this father figure with his rule about dating for his daughters, there would be no story.

It is slightly predictable, but in away that doesn't distract from the film in anyway.

It is one of my favourites, and I suspect always will be, despite not being sci-fi or fantasy based, despite being a little chick flick, despite being based on a classic work of literature.

The film just works. 9/10

Made better by Heath!

Author: ukclaire_475 from Manchester
12 May 2012

10 Things I Hate About You is a generally nice, fun and easy going film to watch. This is the first time I had ever seen Julia Styles in a role and I thought her acting went way beyond what is normally expected from a typical 'teenage' flick. She is so believable. Just saw her In Dexter and I cannot believe she still looks exactly the same all these years later.

I remember watching this all those years ago and totally falling madly in love with Heath Ledger and realising how amazing he is in this film. OK it pains in significance with his future roles e.g. Brokeback/Dark Knight etc but all the same he does carry this movie. Joseph-Gordon Levitt also is very good.

It's a nice film that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. I enjoy it as much now in my late twenties as I did in my late teens.

It's a must for Heath Ledge fans, especially the singing on the stairs scene.

A modern adaption of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
22 July 2011

I'll leave my original rant about this movie as an example of what the result is when one listens to ignorance and goes to see a movie with the completely wrong expectations. My friend originally told me that this movie is like Daria, and as such I went expecting to see Daria, and was very disappointed. However, upon learning that this movie is actually Shakespeare, taken from 16th Century Padua, and placed into an American high school, it changes substantially. It does not necessarily mean that it is any better, but at least one can approach the movie in the way that it is expected to be approached. This movie is supposed to be 'The Taming of the Shrew', and we have the main characters in the play (Katerina, Bianca, the father, but not by the name from the play, Patrucio, though he is named Partick Verona. We also have some suitors for Bianca). However, despite the similarities to the plot, and the characters, this film is not really Taming of the Shrew but rather inspired by it. The most significant difference is that this movie is a lot tamer than the original, which is not surprising since heavy criticism can be brought against the original for its treatment of women. We note that Patrick Verona is nowhere near has devious as Petrucio. However, we note that the reason as to why the girls' father does not want them dating until after high school is a fear that they will become pregnant. However, because Katerina has pretty much become incredibly anti-social, he believes that he is safe by allowing Bianca to date if Katerina dates, which Bianca does not believe this will happen. The play is somewhat different, and no real reason is given as to why Baptista wants Katerina married first, with the exception that he does not want to be left burdened with an unruly daughter. One could go on and on comparing this film with the original play, however I believe that the intention of the film makers was not to make a better film than the play, but rather to make the play more accessible, and palatable, to the modern audience. Like in She's the Man, I think they have succeeded.

Okay, 10 Things I Hate About this movie: 10) The person playing Kat did not seem to fulfill the role that well. 9) Bianca was too nice 8) None of the people in the movie were losers. 7) Kat was not sarcastic nor was she capable of talking back to people. 6) Alex got Bianca in the end. 5) Bianca liked Alex and let him know it. 4) The character changed halfway through the movie. 3) Kat was too emotional 2) There was no Kevin and Brittany equivalent. 1) This was nothing like the TV show Daria. In compiling this list I was comparing it to Daria as my friend claimed that it was like it. There are similarities, but generally the characters are quite different. If the makers were trying to copy Daria then I feel that they failed. I say this because Kat loosened up in the end and Bianca easily tied herself to a guy. Daria is very critical and simply doesn't care about anything - Kat is simply rebellious. Quinn is an airhead and loves leading guys around, Bianca simply wants a boyfriend but her father won't let her have one. Finally all of the "normal" people in Daria are portrayed as losers, they are not in this movie. I guess I am being too critical about it because I was expecting something else. It seems to be a little like Daria, but it really falls far short. I was really disappointed that the guy that Kat falls for in the end seemed to change character during the movie, and the only thing he really did was to stop smoking. At the beginning he is portrayed as being rebellious, scary, and very intimidating, but he quickly changes around and I don't think it is because he is "misunderstood". Kat is not misunderstood, she simply does not care. That is the theme of the movie, what is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular. This is inscribed on the back wall of the English room (I really did like the English Teacher - probably his blackness had something to do with it). The father was interesting: he was paranoid that his daughters would become pregnant but he was going far beyond what is considered sane. I really can't think much regarding this movie, it was okay, funny in spots, and the school building was beautiful, but other than that it does not stand out that much. Don't worry if you miss it, your not missing anything outstanding.

Film is dying...

Author: Charlotte Younge from Reykjavik
27 January 2011

...for a refreshing movie like 10 things I hate about you. Let's be honest, maybe back in the day when this movie first came out people thought it was only so-so... but having just watched it again after all these years, well I bloody well loved it. There was just something about the 90s. There was less technology to hide behind, feelings were more true, movies were more original and actually funny. And who would of thought the underdogs like Joseph Gordon-Levitt would of turned out as handsome as he has today? What I'm basically trying to say is give this film another chance because it definitely deserves more than 6.9/10 rating! It has everything: real visions of high school, crazy cliques, teenage angst, HEATH LEDGER IN GLITTERY TIGHT PANTS, real chemistry & etc. It was just a really cute, cute movie I don't know how else to put it. Instead of just everyone sleeping with each other throughout (ahem, seems to be a popular storyboard these days) 10 things had the works: Pretty boys aiming for the fresh meat, caring but somewhat psychotic parents (can relate), misconstrued images of one another, I mean the last one in particular DEFINED high school for me. No one was who you thought they were, in fact they were better.

So in conclusion, I demand thee to give this another go, it doesn't take much effort (I watched it on Youtube :) and please, this message goes out to all IMDb members and movie watchers alike: stop being so darn critical! Especially about the 90s, leave them alone. They will forever remain pure nostalgia for me and I'm sure many others.

the taming of the shrew

Author: tlcook-3 from United States
22 July 2008

I think that this movie will be referred to as one of the great classics of its time in the future. I know that it is cheesy and predictable... but when i watch classic movies today i find the cheesiness and predictability endearing. One day I hope people will watch this movie and understand that this movie provides pure entertainment, in the way that movies and theater have always provided entertainment.

Plus the fact that it is based on a Shakespearean play only adds to its intellectual depth. It appears to be a shallow romantic comedy but appeals to the more knowledgeable to appreciate the great literature that came before our time.

A superior teen comedy

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
14 June 2008

"Teen comedy" and Shakespeare: two concepts that shouldn't fit very well in the same sentence, especially if the former turns out to be an adaptation of a work by the latter, set in the present day. Thankfully, the writers of this film get it right most of the time, which is why 10 Things I Hate About You should be rightfully considered one of the more interesting interpretations of the Bard's works.

One of the smartest moves on the makers' behalf is actually the choice not to reveal the origin of the story: Shakespeare's name isn't mentioned anywhere in the credits. Instead, we get a few playful and fun references to the original author and the comedy The Taming of the Shrew, on which 10 Things is loosely based: the high school where most of the action unfolds is called Padua (the city where The Taming takes place), the female protagonist's last name is Stratford (Shakespeare's place of birth) and the male main character is named Verona, after the town where Romeo & Juliet was set.

Instead of two ill-fated lovers, we have two people who can't stand each other: Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles), the "shrew" who refuses to socialize with anyone, and Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger), an Australian textbook rebel who allegedly served jail time for setting a cop on fire. Thw two are brought together thanks to the actions of a younger boy, Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), who has a crush on Kat's sister Bianca (Marisa Oleynik). Unfortunately for him, her father (Larry Miller) won't let her date guys until Kat dates someone as well, and since no one will spontaneously go out with Kat, Cameron and is friend Michael (David Krumholtz) come up with the idea of paying Patrick to ensure everyone gets their happy ending.

Naturally, as in all rom-coms starring teenagers, things get a little more complicated than that, and so the entire third act is about how everyone screws up and has to fix the mess they caused. It's all quite predictable, but that doesn't lessen the movie's appeal: sure, it'a very traditional genre comedy, but it's executed with wit and pace, both delivered by sparkling dialogue and above-average performances. Stiles, best known for more troubled roles, pulls off the difficult task of making Kat sympathetic in spite of her apparent coldness, while Ledger, in the part that got him noticed in Hollywood, goes beyond a mere "brooding thug" clichè. So much of the movie is in their hands one wishes there was less focus on Gordon-Levitt and Oleynik, who might provide the tools for setting the story in motion, but also happen to be incredibly daft compared to the main couple and constitute the film's biggest flaw (paired with an embarrassing paint-ball scene). Fortunately, that kind of blandness is compensated by a terrific adult cast, most notably Miller (familiar to Seinfeld fans) and Allison Janney, whose two-scene cameo easily qualifies as the best laugh in the whole picture.

To summarize, romantic comedies aren't always that good, especially when teenagers are part of the main plot, but when they work, the result can be something as warm and funny as 10 Things I Hate About You. Then again, the Shakespearean roots of the screenplay must have helped a great deal too.

My insurance does not cover PMS!

Author: lastliberal from United States
23 January 2008

This is supposedly based upon some play by Shakespeare. Who cares? he is so last millennium. This is a fantastic and funny movie that was brilliantly written by Karen McCullah Lutz & Kirsten Smith. You can be sure that I will look for more of their work.

I never came across Julia Stiles until the Bourne trilogy, and then I caught her in a quirky little film called The Business of Strangers. This performance here makes me want to see everything she has done. She was just fantastic and I am totally in love with her! Heath ledger was also perfect in this film. You can see why he became the star that he was until this week. I understand this film made him and you can certainly see why.

If you want funny and romantic and cute, there isn't a better film.

My Favorite Movie- Ever!

Author: kirbycrazi from United States
1 August 2007

I love this movie, it's my favorite of all time. The cast was wonderful, the script hilarious, the soundtrack amazing and the characters lively.

The entire time I was watching this I kept marveling over how cute everyone was. Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles made an adorable couple on the set, as did the actor who played Cameron and Larisa Olyenik (sp?).

****** The acting was great, as well. The characters were portrayed wonderfully. The only character that I didn't really understand was Chastity. She was friends with Bianca... then what happened? Also, I nearly cringed at the horrible acting during the scene in the bathroom where she says, "very generous, princess..." The character of Chastity definitely could have been done better. ******

I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a good teen romance.

Kudos go out to the makers and cast of 10 Things I Hate About You!

Underrated

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
16 July 2007

"10 Things I Hate About You" (1999) is probably the all-time most ambitious of the teen comedies. Updates of classic literature like this have become relatively common; "Emma" is adapted as "Clueless", "Othello" as "O", "Pygmalion" becomes ''She's All That'', etc. etc. "10 Things I Hate About You" is an adaptation of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" (which has also been adapted as the Broadway musical and film "Kiss Me Kate".

The strange title is less Shakespeare derived than a play on the Elizabeth Barrett Browning sonnet that begins ''How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.'' Even knowing this, the title withholds its relationship to the film content until the climatic scene late in the film when Katerina (Julia Stiles) reads her poem (in iambic pentameter) to the class: "I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you, not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all". Either the producers can't count of they didn't like the sound of "13 Things I Hate About You"

The film was fairly popular at the time of its release and made a considerable amount of money, but critical reaction was mixed. Most of the negative reviews came from critics who felt the film was too distanced from the original; specifically that Katerina was not Shakespeare's mega-shrew and that her taming was just too tame. While these observations are correct, in this case toning down the original makes the film work better. A less gritty story allows for more lyrical storytelling and better a unity with the great pop soundtrack and the inventive cinematography. And few will miss the original's out-of-control misogyny. The film goes out on fantastic rotational helicopter shot of the group "Letters from Cleo" as they perform the closing song on top of spectacular Stadium High School in Tacoma.

The story begins with obstetrician Walter Stratford's (Larry Miller) grudging agreement to allow his younger daughter Bianca Stratford (Larisa Oleynik) to date if her older sister Katerina (Stiles) starts dating. Walter's occupation has made him super-paranoid about teen pregnancy, but he feel quite safe with this compromise because Katerina is a brain with little interest in boys and an abrasive enough personality to drive away anyone who might be attracted to her.

Miller and Stiles are exceptional in these roles, the best performances of their careers. Oleynik (formally Alex Mack) does not have nearly as much to work with but is solid in her role. My main criticism is that the film has the same dynamic as "Some Kind of Wonderful", with the abrasive tomboy significantly more desirable than the foxy girl every guy is after. Back in her "Alex Mack" days Oleynik was the #1 ranked female in a People Magazine survey of the most beautiful person in the world. I don't see it and I'm pretty sure that I have a lot of company.

One interesting bit of trivia is that Oleynik went on to attend and graduate from Sarah Lawrence College, the school that Katerina wants to attend in the film.

Female viewers will generally be pleased with Heath Ledger as Patrick Verona (afterall the action takes place at Padua High School), who is hired by two of Bianca's admirers to tame the shrew. Joey Donner (Andrew Keegan) is the obnoxious pretty boy who is cruising for his comeuppance throughout the film; but he is not close to the bad guy standard set by "Some Kind of Wonderful" and Pretty in Pink". Allison Janney is hilarious as a porno-writing guidance counselor.

I really liked the tentative feeling between Patrick and Katerina. In one of the most enjoyable scenes he appears in the grandstands while she is at soccer practice and sings ''I Love You Baby'' over the P.A. system, having bribed the school's marching band to accompany him down on the field.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.

Not just the best teen movie but the best movie full stop

Author: sahmraw-1 from United Kingdom
23 May 2007

I'd give this film 11 out of 10 if I could. It is so faithful to the original Shakespeare play whilst being hip and up to date. I fell in love with Heath Ledger and in fact I began to watch other Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger films off the back of this. From the opening to the close this film grabs you.

I have watched it too many times to count and it is on TV right now and I'm watching it again. Every time is like the first. It has classic lines: "Mr Stratford, it's just a party!" "And Hell is just a sauna!" I even bought the soundtrack. It is laugh out loud from beginning to end and I just love it. My all-time favourite film ever!!