IMDb > 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
10 Things I Hate About You

10 Things I Hate About You More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 56: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The best teen flick, like, ever

Author: Whosaidthatreally from Australia
25 December 2014

You know how teen flicks are usually shallow, stereotypical, poorly written tripe? And you know how most romantic comedies are shallow, stereotypical, chick flicks?

Well, this film will forever put those films to shame. Brilliantly written, funny and warm this film deserves a spot on everyone's Watched list. And anybody with a teenager should buy a hard copy, because they will love it.

I feel that I am fairly well qualified to write a review of this film, as I have been conducting an unofficial study of teenage behaviour for the last 25 years as a high school teacher, and I have been showing this film to my classes every year since about 2000. All up, I have probably watched this film about 5 times a year for the last 15 years. And I still enjoy it!

The writers are to be commended for this film - rarely do you see a film that can blend comedy with true human experience. This is a film where every scene and every shot has been carefully crafted - and the meaning is not lost on a younger audience.

I could write about the storyline here, or give you a few of the many really funny one liners or tell you about the brilliant casting (the actors really are perfect). But instead I will just leave you with this - nearly 2 decades on and this film is STILL enthralling teenage audiences. For that alone it deserves a spot in the list of greatest teen flicks of all time. Students, today, have stills of this film on their smart phones and they tell me it's their favourite film, like, ever. Do you know how nearly impossible that is? To create a teenage flick that both guys and girls will love? Or a film with a PG rating but young adult humour? Or to make a film about teenage angst where every viewer walks away identifying with the characters and feeling empowered? Lets not hold back here, a film that can win over audience after audience, for nearly two decades deserves 10 stars - even if it is just a light hearted, teen comedy. I'm bringing out my green pen and giving this a great big tick and smiley face, well done.

10 times in a row

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
21 July 2012

After hearing lots of good commentaries involving this movie, I thought maybe it would be a refreshing teenager comedy. Its title doesn't fit with the plot or story-- actually it makes sense only in a fast scene in the end. Several moments of this picture are similar to the controversial "Not Another Teen Movie", the difference is that "10 things" doesn't make jokes or references to other films. Heath Ledger doesn't show any differential in his acting-- people would never imagine him as the unbeatable Joker in "The Dark Knight" years later. Rest of the cast is just okay and the plot is the classic American stereotypical, just like in the other teen pictures. Don't expect too much from "10 Things I Hate About You".

Film is dying...

Author: Charlotte Younge from Reykjavik
27 January 2011

...for a refreshing movie like 10 things I hate about you. Let's be honest, maybe back in the day when this movie first came out people thought it was only so-so... but having just watched it again after all these years, well I bloody well loved it. There was just something about the 90s. There was less technology to hide behind, feelings were more true, movies were more original and actually funny. And who would of thought the underdogs like Joseph Gordon-Levitt would of turned out as handsome as he has today? What I'm basically trying to say is give this film another chance because it definitely deserves more than 6.9/10 rating! It has everything: real visions of high school, crazy cliques, teenage angst, HEATH LEDGER IN GLITTERY TIGHT PANTS, real chemistry & etc. It was just a really cute, cute movie I don't know how else to put it. Instead of just everyone sleeping with each other throughout (ahem, seems to be a popular storyboard these days) 10 things had the works: Pretty boys aiming for the fresh meat, caring but somewhat psychotic parents (can relate), misconstrued images of one another, I mean the last one in particular DEFINED high school for me. No one was who you thought they were, in fact they were better.

So in conclusion, I demand thee to give this another go, it doesn't take much effort (I watched it on Youtube :) and please, this message goes out to all IMDb members and movie watchers alike: stop being so darn critical! Especially about the 90s, leave them alone. They will forever remain pure nostalgia for me and I'm sure many others.

Not just the best teen movie but the best movie full stop

Author: sahmraw-1 from United Kingdom
23 May 2007

I'd give this film 11 out of 10 if I could. It is so faithful to the original Shakespeare play whilst being hip and up to date. I fell in love with Heath Ledger and in fact I began to watch other Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger films off the back of this. From the opening to the close this film grabs you.

I have watched it too many times to count and it is on TV right now and I'm watching it again. Every time is like the first. It has classic lines: "Mr Stratford, it's just a party!" "And Hell is just a sauna!" I even bought the soundtrack. It is laugh out loud from beginning to end and I just love it. My all-time favourite film ever!!

Taming of the Shrew Meets Bad Teen Acting and Hoaky Story

Author: requiem1896 from Massachusetts
31 August 2003

There is a growing library of films that re-make, revision, re-do, and otherwise re-show many of Shakespeare's plays. In this case, Taming of the Shrew is

done as a 1990's love story between a not so interested "Shrew" and a boy

equally uninterested in her. It has its moments with some good one-liners but that is about it. Regardless of the fact that it gains its inspiration from a Shakespeare classic, this is no different from the many Teen-love comedies

released as films and television series.

It is still worth the cost of a rental but don't expect anything great. Of the Shakespeare-to-film movies, this is likely the worst or very close to it.

obstacles to true love knows no time era

Author: saimahuq from malden, ma
25 November 2002

One thing about the Bard -- he knew the plots that touches everyone's lives, no matter where on the social strata or when in history they may be. It is made apparent in the case of Cameron James, new kid in school, as he falls for the lovely Bianca, who cannot date until her older shrewish sister Kat will date. But Kat doesn't WANT to date, and thus Cameron must scheme to find a suitable guy for this harpy-with-the-heart-of-gold if he is to win the fair Bianca.

Julia Stiles may be no Elizabeth Taylor, but then, she doesn't have to be. This flick relays the same message to a brand-new audience and is fun and entertaining to boot (plus I don't think Taylor could dance on a table quite like Stiles does in one of the more memorable scenes.)

In the end, this is a charming movie that will entertain and educate high-schoolers as well as those several years past graduating. After all, Shakespeare knew what he was writing about -- there is no age limit when it comes to matters of the heart!

If you've not seen it yet, go...

Author: manu2510 (manu2510@ifrance.com) from Brest, France
17 January 2002

I adore this movie. I've seen it about 10 times, and I'm sure I'll be watching it again! It's cute, it's funny, it's smart and definitely enjoyable. The first time I saw this movie I was 23, and even though I was skeptical (another one of those boring and predictable teen flicks?), I was blown away. The actors are all great - even the guy who portrays Joey, the underwear model, is somehow cute. I mean, he's kind of the "bad guy" of the movie, but I like him anyway, he's just funny. The best character was Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles) in my opinion, Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) a close second. Julia got to show a whole lot of emotions onscreen, and she's bloody good! I hadn't seen Heath Ledger in any movie before 10 things, and I have to admit I developed a soft spot for him afterwards. But hey, I'm just a girl! Anyway, a very enjoyable film. Good fun.

Surprisingly funny romantic comedy

Author: zedex (cnsherry@iolfree.ie) from Dublin, Ireland
18 June 2001

When I went to see 10 Things I Hate About You, I expected the usual boring, pointless romantic comedy, where the romance is unbelievable and the comedy part seriously lacking. Instead I got an excellent plot and funny jokes with actual chemistry between the leads. As it is a modern remake of Shakespeare's The Taming Of The Shrew, you might think you need to know all about the play, but in reality the plot of the film is different and only the occasional bit of name-dropping has any connection to the play. Julia Stiles as Kat is undoubtedly the best actress, with Larisa Oleynik as her sister Bianca (an airhead eerily similar to Clueless' Cher) is also funny and believable. Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are also good as their eventual boyfriends. The dialogue is hilarious and while the romantic plot is corny, it is entertaining (although the happily ever after ending is a bit too routine). The soundtrack and in particular the main title song (by Letters to Cleo) are catchy and the outakes at the end are good, although including outakes of scene that were taken out of the end movie is kind of confusing. I would recommend 10 Things I Hate About You to absolutely anyone as it is hilarious and without doubt the best romantic comedy I have ever seen.

RATING: 4/5

Appreciating art in a whole new form

Author: Sissi (XoMaryMoeXo@aol.com) from Ocean City, Maryland
18 April 2001

10 Things I hate About You has a wonderful soundtrack, an awsome cast, and gives a whole new audience the chance to appreciate a classic, even if they don't realize it. The remake of Taming of the Shrew is done beautifully, in a way to get the point of the story across to a whole new generation who would probably never read the original story anyway. The soundtrack provides the same idea, with great remakes and samples by modern yet somewhat underground bands. The soundtrack is as great as the movie. Julia Stiles, admittedly my favorite actress to date, seems to actually "be" Kat, she plays the part so well. And Heath Ledger is her perfect match in every way...they even have the same smile. Larrisa Olynik is almost as convincingly clueless as Alicia Silverstone's Cher, and Joseph Gordon Levitt was perfect in his puppy love. The cast was great, the story line was great, the music was great, and I couldn't appreciate the movie more. It was a cool and convincing way to bring Shakespeare up to speed (though universally classic as he is) and to just plain have fun. The 10 is in the title for a reason.

Simplistic, juvenile pulp...

Author: Dory20 from New Jersey, USA
3 July 2000

There was ONLY one good thing I loved about this film and that was Heath Ledger. What I hated would take more space than allowed, however I can't resist a few inspired comments. I am a HUGE fan of Will Shakespeare. I sat through Leo DiCaprio's modern version of Romeo & Juliet without major trauma, but this remake of Taming of the Shrew, shredded my innards. From a raucous soundtrack to mindless teenage acting to simplistic direction, man, oh man was this one BAD. As I said at the onset, the only redeeming factor was Heath Ledger, who manages to come off good in anything he's associated with. He was the only true actor among this travesty of sleep-walking, boring, over-acting thespians. Duh, gag me with a spoon man...