IMDb > 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

10 Things I Hate About You More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 56: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

It really is one of the best teen romance films

Author: Nilu Asad from India
26 May 2012

I don't know why, but just the mention of this movie always makes me laugh. I think it is one of the best teen comedies. The movie is full of fun. It is an entertaining watch that I watched many times because it is endlessly amusing. This flick is definitely a bad-mood-killer. There is also hardly something odd and unnecessary in it. There is not a scene that you feel you could cut out. As for performances, they are not outstanding but very funny. Heath Ledger is just so charming in this movie that introduced him to Hollywood. '10 Things I Hate About You' is a feel-good romantic comedy that is smart enough, has a fantastic cast and some memorable moments. I just don't know what else I can say about it. It's just fun.

Romeo, Romeo, where art thou Rome- Oh, hi Heath!

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
1 May 2012

"10 Things About You" is a teen comedy notable only for being based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of The Shrew", starring a now deceased Heath Ledger, a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt and featuring a scene – which still melts the hearts of teenage girls - in which uber-hunk Heath serenades his lady in front of hundreds of onlookers.

The rest of the plot's your usual "boy meets girl", "boy loses girl", "boy gets girl" affair. Julia Stiles plays our female lead, and does well, except for a couple horrendously written scenes. Stiles is known for acting in a string of Shakespeare adaptations. This one climaxes with her reading a poem called "I Hate". It's the only powerful moment in the film, the only one where you sense something real, raw and naked slipping through the formula.

7.9/10 – Funny but formulaic. See "Heathers", "Ghost World" and "A Knight's Tale". Worth one viewing.

"Be thou armed for some unhappy words".

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
24 February 2012

10 Things I Hate About You is a teen comedy that manages to place itself almost, but not quite, alongside the likes of Clueless and Mean Girls. In fact, if you can imagine a blend of those two movies. With a bit of She's All That in the mix. And a sprinkling of Bring It On. And, of course, a storyline cleverly adapted from The Taming Of The Shrew.

Cameron James (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is the new kid in school and it doesn't take him long to fall in love with Bianca Stratford (Larisa Oleynik). That's not going anywhere, however. Because even if Bianca was interested, her father (played by Larry Miller) has stated that she's not allowed to date until her older sister (Kat Stratford, played by Julia Stiles) dates. And Kat doesn't date, she has no interest in being popular with the masses or even going along with the norms of high school society. What Cameron needs is a cunning plan, which he gets from Michael (David Krumholtz). Hire someone to date Kat. Who would be brave/stupid enough to try such a thing? Patrick Verona (played by Heath Ledger) would seem to be the only one maybe up to the task.

It's predictable, it's light, it's breezy, it has an upbeat soundtrack to go along with the visuals - in many ways 10 Things I Hate About You is just like every other teen comedy ever made. The direction by Gil Junger is completely safe and competent while the script, by Karen McCullach Lutz and Kirsten Smith, contains a good number of smart one-liners and fun exchanges.

What puts this film ahead of the pack is the cast. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and David Krumholtz work very well together, Larisa Oleynik is a bright presence, Larry Miller is hilarious as an over-protective father and Julia Stiles is . . . . . . . . well . . . . . . okay, I suppose. But Heath Ledger steals the show as Patrick, a guy so sweet and cool that I'D date him. Despite the way fans have raved about the last roles that Ledger had before his untimely death, this actually remains his most endearing and enjoyable performance. It's a star-making turn and elevates the entire movie.

All in all, 10 Things I Hate About You is one of those teen movies that should appeal to more than just the core teen demographic. Fans of comedy will have fun and Shakespeare fans might even find that they enjoy the occasional references to his works.

Author: taylor-castoreno from United States
17 February 2012

Review of "10 Things I Hate About You" My review is on the movie "10 Things I Hate About You". This movie is one of my all-time favorite movies. This movie came out in 1999. The main cast in this movie includes Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Larisa Oleynik, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. This was Heath Ledger's breakout role. The movie is based on Shakespeare's play "Taming of the Shrew". Julia Stiles plays "Kat" the rebellious older sister. Larisa Oleynik plays "Bianca" the popular younger sister. Their father, who is played by Larry Miller, doesn't let the girls date because he doesn't want them to get pregnant. He is a little overbearing. Kat has no intention on dating, but Bianca wants to date. Therefore their father comes up with the plan that Bianca can't date until Kat does. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Cameron, the boy who likes Bianca. Heath Ledger plays Patrick, the bad boy in high school. Cameron comes up with a plan to get someone to date Kat so he can date Bianca. Little does he know that Bianca wants to date the popular guy "Joey" who is played by Andrew Keegan. Eventually Bianca realizes what a jerk Joey is and ends up falling for Cameron. Kat finds out about the plan and finds out that Patrick was paid to go out with her. Although Patrick was in it for the money in the beginning, he came to like Kat and everything turns out good in the end. Of course there are a few more characters involved in this plot. The movie has great dialogue and acting and includes a great cast. The movie is hilarious and has some twists and turns but is definitely a must see.

I was in high school when I first saw this in theatre and it immediately became my favorite movie. Although it is a teen flick, it definitely isn't like the other teen flicks of its time. It is more mature than the other ones like She's All That or American Pie. I would recommend it to anyone.

Pretty Good

Author: batterypark123 (batterypark123@ymail.com) from ATL, Georgia
30 January 2012

Based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," "10 Things I Hate About You" offers a refreshing revival of the "good" teen films, as compared to the "typical" teen films.

It's based on Shakespeare's story somewhat loosely. It's about a teenaged girl whose father will not allow her to date. Finally he comes up with a clever idea - if she can convince her older sister (who is a strict, boring "b***") to date someone, the younger sibling can as well. Her father knows this is as realistic as saying "When pigs begin to fly" but then he can't be accused of being unfair.

"10 Things..." is overall pretty good. It's better than I thought it would be. It has some funny moments, it's got a talented cast with some older actors popping up in various humorous roles, etc. It's not as refreshing or unique as a John Hughes teen comedy but it certainly plays upon some of the clichés of the genre (invented by Hughes no less) to good effect.

Overall, I was impressed with the movie, and the actors, and that's saying a lot considering it's a teen film (a genre I have come to loathe recently with entries such as "Slackers" etc.).

10 stars for this movie!

Author: neenahhh
24 March 2011

This is an EXCELLENT movie. Sure, the plot wasn't the most original one. It was cliché, but for some reason, I still loved it! I mean, the way the movie was executed was just great. All the actors did a wonderful job. They all had great chemistry which made the movie very enjoyable. I found myself interested in both sisters' romances. I wasn't only rooting for Patrick and Kat. I found myself also rooting for Cameron and Bianca.

Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles had SO MUCH chemistry. I absolutely loved them together. They were very sweet with each other, but they were still very real. If I could pick out one of my favorite scenes to talk about, I'd talk about the date that they had. I loved their paintball date! I thought that it wasn't too formal or stuffy. It was just plain and simple, but still very fun. During this scene, it was like they weren't even acting. They were just having fun with it! That was great because this IS a rom-com movies for teens and in this scene, they were just that. Teenagers having fun.

When I was younger, I watched this movie, but never really understood it. As I grew older, I remember wanting to rewatch this movie again, but I couldn't remember the title. I felt very frustrated with myself. But I did remember one particular scene, though. (SPOILERS:) That one scene where Patrick serenades Kat out in the field. (/SPOILERS) Thanks to that scene and with the help of YouTube, I managed to figure out what the name of this movie was. This very well proves that this movie is a classic. Almost 12 years has passed since the release of this movie, but no one has forgotten that epic and heartwarming scene (SPOILERS:) where Patrick just forgets about everything puts himself out there for Kat. (/SPOILERS) While watching that scene, I had this huge smile on my face the whole time. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who felt that way. And YouTube can prove that with their many videos of this particular scene- one video with almost 7 million views!

I really don't know what else to say about this movie, except that it's great. It is truly an excellent movie that I doubt there's really anyone else in this world who hasn't watched it yet. If you're part of the minority who hasn't watched this movie yet, there's just one thing I want to ask you: "What are you waiting for?!" This was really a truly great movie and I'm pretty sure that it's on my top 10 favorite romantic comedy movies now.

Despite the two likable actors, this is a slightly above mediocre teen comedy

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
9 February 2011

This is basically a romantic comedy, that is also very ridiculous and not very believable but still pretty good. While showing the trendy lifestyle of high school students in a over exaggerated manner. It's also stereotypical of teenagers in a shallow way. a To be honest the only reason I decided to check this movie out was because of Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, because I like these actors and was difficult to pass on it. It's basically a wacky and silly romantic comedy and yet lively and enjoyable movie for the most part. The movie however starts off pretty good but after about a hour it starts to get a bit dull and too generic. I never been a fan of Julia Stiles though and she seemed more like Heath Ledger's sister than his actual girlfriend. Anyways overall this is basically a bright romantic comedy that almost anyone can enjoy without being grossed out. Just isn't anything ballsy or new or anything like that, it's also a very predictable movie.

6.7/10

Author: random_avenger
3 October 2010

Knowing the unfortunate fate of Australian actor Heath Ledger (1979-2008), it now feels oddly nostalgic to view his breakout success movie 10 Things I Hate About You, even though I hadn't even seen it until just now. The story is a loose adaptation of William Shakespeare's famous play Taming of the Shrew set in a present day American high school: a new guy named Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) arrives in the school and instantly becomes attracted to a pretty girl named Bianca (Larisa Oleynik). Much to his chagrin, Bianca's overprotective father won't allow her to date any guy unless her hostile big sister Kat (Julia Stiles) also dates somebody. Together with his preppy friend Michael (David Krumholtz), Cameron devises a plan to get a handsome bad boy Patrick (Ledger) to persuade the smart and independent Kat into going out with him, so that Bianca would become available as well. However, Cameron is not the only guy after Bianca – a vain male model Joey (Andrew Keegan) is also keen on winning her heart.

Even though high school comedies are a cliché-heavy type of cinema and 10 Things… doesn't exactly strive to reform the genre, it manages to feel pretty fresh considering its old building blocks (referring to high school movie conventions, not Shakespeare's writing). The colourful fashion and brightly lit locations, such as the castle-like Stadium High School, bring pleasant echoes from the 1990s, a decade I remember fondly. The obligatory scene of showing the new guy around and pointing out the rivaling social cliques is pretty amusing too, even more so than in average school movies. One notable big scene involving Ledger performing "Can't Take My Eyes off You" while fleeing security officers also belongs among the highlights of the tale.

Some energetic performances by the young cast help to maintain interest in the criss-crossing romances: I have always liked Julia Stiles' appearance that is somehow both strong and timid at the same time and she fits in the role of the sarcastic indie girl effortlessly. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Heath Ledger aren't given highly memorable roles, but they do what they can alright. This is why David Krumholtz frequently gets to steal the show as Cameron's talkative but socially awkward friend Michael, not to even mention Allison Janney's small role as Ms. Perky, the school's aptly-named guidance counselor and writer of erotic fiction.

To recap, the story is not highly imaginative and the ending is pretty cheesy, but many individual scenes earlier in the movie are fairly entertaining. A very obvious comparison can be made to another Shakespeare-in-school movie She's the Man (2006) starring Amanda Bynes: both films succeed decently in what they do, even if they are nothing groundbreaking. Gah, why am I being so apologetic about liking the movie? In the end, I think it is alright and recommend it to fans of its kind.

An absolute teen classic. The Breakfast Club of the nineties!

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
14 July 2010

Many words have been used to describe 10 Things I Hate About You. Not all good. I've seen predictable, fun, stereotypical, touching and so on. All of these might be true but the key to the film is that it will endear itself to you. In the decade since I saw it for the first time I have likely seen it dozens of times and every time I simply fall in love with it all over again. The fact that it is a brilliantly clever retelling of Shakespeare's Taming of The Shrew only helps solidify it as a really fun, and better than other teen type flicks of the nineties or any other decade. The characters make this film what it is. Fun loving, over the top, and a very diverse group of people that everyone will easily find a favourite or more than one favourite character. The cast works so well together, and the story moves at such a perfectly entertaining and hilarious pace that you will just enjoy every minute. The film has the demographic of mid to late teens in mind certainly but it doesn't try and treat the audience like kids. The film has plenty of gross out humour, tastefully used of course, and a crass feel to it but some sort of life lesson about romance and growing up is firmly in place.

The late Heath Ledger became a household name as the bad boy Patrick Verona with a heart of gold. Ledger is just absolutely charismatic in his role and is enough to make guys high five and girls swoon. I actually consider this character and Ledger's performance to be probably one of my favourite. Absolutely holding her own and matching Ledger's Verona shot for shot is the amazing Julia Stiles who gives probably her best performance or close to it as the vivacious, tempestuous Kat Stratford. Misunderstood, catty, angsty, brutally sarcastic and downright hilarious Stiles plays a strong willed, if not slightly flawed teenage girl who goes through a lot of growing up as a lot of the characters do. Stiles and Ledger are absolutely brilliant together and one of my all time favourite romantic comedy couples. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is quiet and subtle and almost too adorable as Cam. Even though he isn't as bold and strong a character as some of the other he is easily the sweetest in the film and will be plenty of people's favourite. If Stiles is the perfect match with Ledger then the perfect match for Gordon-Levitt would be the equally as sweet Larisa Oleynik. She is first presented as extremely vapid and shallow but quickly gets far more depth and gets to grow up a lot in the film. She learns some valuable lessons and her and Stiles are terrific together as siblings. David Krumholtz is deliciously geeky as Cam's new best friend Michael. He's downright hilarious and has some truly amazing moments and gets to have some great romance in the end as well. Andrew Keegan is hilarious as the conceited teen model Joey and the object of Bianca's (Oleynik) affection...at first. He is a bit of a villain to the story but certainly never much of a challenge to anyone as he gets shown up time and time again. And finally the absolutely amazing and hilarious Larry Miller who plays Stiles and Oleynik's insanely over protective father. He is one of my favourite Dad's and is absolutely perfect. I will forever remember him in this role.

This cast just works so amazingly well together and everyone fits these perfect roles and brings them to life. Director Gil Junger has a ton of experience if not almost entirely from Television but in this case this isn't a bad thing whatsoever. He obviously has a great grasp on humour and knows how to tell a story. The cast works so well together and Junger should be given credit for putting them together. The writing team of Kirsten Smith and Karen McCullah Lutz have gone on to write some incredibly fun scripts including Legally Blonde, The House Bunny, and She's The Man to name three of my favourite. They're stories are simply fun and hugely entertaining but I'm not sure they've done anything that meets the level of this absolute classic. It is one of my all time favourites and is fun from beginning to end. 9/10

This is a must watch!!!

Author: santhoshvai from India
6 July 2010

This movie was released in 1999 and i saw the movie in 2010!...still i found that this movie is very romantic and funny.the movie is light hearted and a feel good film.you must give the actors credit,they have made this flick a memorable one.I have watched the film about 5 times now.Its the specialty of the film,It makes you watch it a number of times.Not many teen movies are good like this.I have to admit that i have never seen a better teen movie compared to this.so what r u waiting for ???rush to the DVD shops and buy this DVD!!..i gave it 10 out of 10..to increase its rating..i advise others to do so..the movie deserves a 8/10 rating truly..