IMDb > 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
10 Things I Hate About You

10 Things I Hate About You More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 54:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I can't stop watching this movie!

Author: sirokai from United States
27 November 2004

I wanted to see this movie when it first came out but never did. I didn't get a copy until a week ago and finally watched it with my girlfriend. I have to admit, I've seen it five times in the past week. A lot of teen movies have very basic or clichéd plots, but not this one. It's based on "The Taming of the Shrew" and it has a lot of interesting twists. The music is awesome, every song actually fits the moment, and the two love stories are actually interesting to watch. Even all the actors did a really great job. The only bad thing is the occasional dirty jokes. If you don't care for teen movies, don't worry, you are just like me, this movie is still worth watching. I'm giving it a 10 to bring those ratings up!

Sweet *teenage love, lies, & consequences* flick!

Author: Julie Clark (bejewelme@hotmail.com) from Kennett Square, PA
5 April 1999

I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Granted I'm just 15 years old, and also a huge fan of Shakespeare, but it was really a great film. I would have to say it's definitely more directed towards the teenage/GenX generations, but it was awesome. The tongue-and-cheek Shakespeare references were great (the "Stratford" girls, etc.) Julia Stiles & Larisa Oleynik were convincing in their roles, and not to be shallow but the guys of the movie just all looked really good. =) I recommend this to most teenage girls, although it's not totally a "chick flick" because my brother enjoyed it too. In any case, the scene with the "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" ballad at the soccer practice is a can't-miss for all you love saps. =) I will tell you right now, the ending IS predictable, but not hackneyed. It leaves you with a happy bubbly feeling about teenage love. Excellent movie, that is. (P.S. When watching this in the theaters-- DON'T leave as soon as the credits roll. There are some hilarious out-takes afterwards.)

One of the best teen movies of all time...

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
6 March 2004

I can't say enough good things about this movie. I do remember the first time I saw it, coming away thinking that I wanted to be just like Julia Stiles' character in it, though. She was so cool and did such an excellent job in her role, that still to this day I consider her to be the coolest teen in any 'teen movie'.

Basic Plot: Cameron (Levitt), a new student at Pagua high school, falls in love with a sophomore named Bianca Stradford (Oleynik).

However, Bianca has a flirtatious crush on the most popular senior at school named, Joey (Keegan). Cameron's sidekick Michael (Krumholtz)tells him, that Bianca is looking for someone to help her with French and Cameron decides that's how he'll ask her out on a date.

Kat Stradford (Stiles) is Bianca's sister. Totally opposite of Bianca, she is anti-social and is the most feminist high school senior you could ever meet. Against boys, dances, and anything having to do with prepiness and silly fun, she swears off dating and finds herself being accepted to Sarah Lawrence a college across the country in hopes to get away from her father and the city she lives in.

Bianca desperately wanting to date, is told by her father (Miller) that she will be allowed to date when her sister Kat does. Desperate and not knowing how to get her sister to 'date for her', ends up asking Cameron, her new French tutor, to help her with her predicament. Enter Patrick (Ledger). An outcast and rumored to have sold his kidneys on the black market for a new set of speakers, also attends Padgua high, and is unsuspecting of what will happen soon in his future.

Cameron and Micheal decide that in order to make this work, they need a backer. "Someone who's stupid, but has money." So they go to Joey, telling him that they know he likes Bianca, and they need him to pay Patrick a tidy sum, to have him date Kat, in order for him to date Bianca. What Joey doesn't know, is that Cameron secretly plans to date Bianca, while he pays Patrick to take out Kat.

It may sound like a very confusing movie. But it is so funny, cleverly written, and not entirely true of American teenage culture, but pretty close. The acting is wonderful and in my opinion nothing in the movie would have worked as well, without the people who played their characters. As I said before I think that Stiles' portration of Kat Stradford was right on, and no one could have done it better. Her best role, more than certainly, and I love this movie so much! I would have to say it's my favorite teen comedy next to The Breakfast Club. One the best movies, and a great watch!

I give it a 10 out of 10. Go rent it, or better yet go buy it! You won't regret it!

Funny, lively and enjoyable despite being a little predictable

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
13 October 2002

On his first day at a new school, Cameron falls for Bianca Stratford. However not only is she popular and beautiful but her father has forbidden her to date until her older sister does too. The problem is her sister, Kat, is negative, bad tempered and unfriendly and certainly undateable. Cameron seeks the services of school bad boy Pat who he arranges to be paid to date Kat and thus allow him to go out with Bianca - but things never go smoothly when it comes to love.

I'm not a big fan of teen comedies. They mostly are lame, trading on the same old plots and clichés that have been around since Animal House and Porkies. The recent trend has just seen classical texts adapted giving rise to some poor films like `She's all that'. The plot for this is basically `The Taming of the Shrew' updated - most of it bares little resemblance to the play but that doesn't matter - the core is interesting enough to stand on it's own. It may not surprise you in terms of who gets which girl and it's fairly predictable in a romantic comedy type way but that's not it.

No - the film is funny, lively and pretty enjoyable. The comedy is built around the central plot with lots of nice touches and characters that are genuinely funny, such Mr Morgan and the erotic drama writing headmistress. The jokes happily never stoop to the gross-out type and this helps it feel fresh and lively, rather than just scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Another strength is that the cast are all very likeable and give good performances all round. Compared to the horror or Prince and Lillard in `She's all that' this was a dream cast. Ledger is a real up and comer and he does well here - he doesn't over-egg his bad boy cake and his fall into love is believable. Stiles is very cool and better than the teen roles she has had of late. Here she rises above the `outsider' cliché given to her and does good work - again being a likeable and believable character.. Gordon-Levitt is OK but quite characterless compared to the main two roles, likewise Oleynik. The bets roles are those on the edges and the three adult support roles really do well and are very funny - Janney, Mitchell and especially Miller on good form. Gabrielle Union is once again given a side role that doesn't play to her strength. I like her and want to see her in bigger roles but here she is a `minority face' in a predominately white film, just as she was in She's All That - maybe I'm being a little paranoid but that's what it feels like.

Overall I was taken by surprise as to how funny and lively this film was. It didn't sink to the gross out comedy of so many teen movies and had characters and actors who brought spark and energy to the screen. It may be predictable but it works and the jokes and side characters just add to the sense of fun. Not brilliant but compared to the mediocre bunch of teen comedies you COULD watch, this is fantastic!

It was very good

Author: Boyo-2
1 May 2000

A movie like this doesn't exactly hit you over the head with its originality, and can only be as good as the actors. They must convince you that you've never seen anything like this before. In this case every single member of the cast is so good that they sold me on the movie from minute one. Heath Ledger & Julia Stiles make a great couple and his rendition of "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" was one of the highlights. When Julia listed the "10 Things" she was crying and I was, too - extremely unusual for me in a movie like this. Everyone else was just as good and this movie is a keeper.

A masterpiece that leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling! 10 out of 10 for 10 Things

Author: BettieTeese from Australia
12 March 2005

All the praise in the world goes to every individual involved in the production of 10 Things I Hate About You,a film that rarely leaves my DVD player.I'm not a fan of Shakespeare's traditional plays,but the modern day screen adaptions are brilliant,and 10 Things I Hate About You is no exception.The highschool stereotypes of the cool kids nobody messes with,the wannabe's that try too hard to be something they're not,the geeks everyone picks on and the rebels everyone is afraid of,mean there's a character in this film everyone can relate to.The stand out performances are Heath Ledger as Patrick,the rebellious,feared and elusive bad guy who wins the heart of Kat Stratford played to perfection by fine actress Julia Stiles who has no interest in the opposite sex and is perceived to come from the planet 'Loser' while her more sociable,boy crazy sister Bianca (Larissa Oleynik)hails from planet 'Look at Me,Look at Me'.Her good looks catch the eye of the smooth,suave and egotistical Joey Donner (Andrew Keegan) who is a male model,and fights for the affections of the prettiest Stratford sister with Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) the highschool geek,with a big heart and a big crush on Bianca.The hilarious Larry Miller stars as Walter Stratford-the kind of father who puts his girls on a short leash and desperately tries to shield them from the horrors of sex,drugs and rock and roll,and of course,boys.A typical teenage comedy,but its witty dialogue,goofy,sexy,cool and bad ass characters,and enjoyable storyline set it apart from all the rest.There's plenty of memorable moments,romance,and clever and classic lines,all leading up to a predictable but perfectly good ending that leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling about teenage love.

Pretty good overall

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
8 December 2004

Based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," "10 Things I Hate About You" offers a refreshing revival of the "good" teen films, as compared to the "typical" teen films.

It's based on Shakespeare's story somewhat loosely. It's about a teenaged girl whose father will not allow her to date. Finally he comes up with a clever idea - if she can convince her older sister (who is a strict, boring "b***") to date someone, the younger sibling can as well. Her father knows this is as realistic as saying "When pigs begin to fly" but then he can't be accused of being unfair.

"10 Things..." is overall pretty good. It's better than I thought it would be. It has some funny moments, it's got a talented cast with some older actors popping up in various humorous roles, etc. It's not as refreshing or unique as a John Hughes teen comedy but it certainly plays upon some of the clichés of the genre (invented by Hughes no less) to good effect.

Overall, I was impressed with the movie, and the actors, and that's saying a lot considering it's a teen film (a genre I have come to loathe recently with entries such as "Slackers" etc.).

The best teen movie.. ever ; - )

Author: Jenna (jENNA007) from Dallas, TX
17 July 2001

I loved this movie to death, it has the BEST teen cast I've ever seen. Hot talent, excellent writing, good direction, and a kiss-azz music score makes this movie able to be watched over and over again. I was so amazed at how talented the actors were, I just have to tell you what I thought of them ~

First off, I love Julia Stiles as Kat Stratford, Julia is the only blonde I have ever seen who could probably not pull off a clueless valley girl act (which is a good thing, trust me, black-haired, brown-eyed girls like me don't wanna watch dumb blondes.) Joseph Gordon-Levitt is adorably sweet and lovable here, I just wanted to kiss him. Heath Ledger, i can explain in one word : hot. And last but not least, Larisa Oleynick was great, very pretty, and not annoying although some of her dialouge wasn't my style.

Buy it, rent it.. i don't care, just SEE iT !!! But do keep in mind that I said best "teen" movie, not best movie. Now SEE iT !!!

You can't fault this one, it just aint typical.

Author: Darth_Stat from Australia
4 March 2001

When hiring this movie was first suggested I turned up my nose at it. I thought, another teenagers flick where the hottest guy in school has to appreciate a lesser unpopular chick etc etc etc. Since seeing it it has enterred my all time favourites list. Any old somebody can take the formula of The Taming of the Shrue and put it into a school yard, and any old somebody can avoid cle she's in the finer details, coming up with decent alternatives is the hard part, whatever they did here works like clockwork. I would easily give it the best teen flick mantle.

Firstly, the acting is perfect, the roles are not overly demanding but Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger play this to perfection. The supporting cast is great aswell, there is not a soul that doesn't contribute to the perfection of it all. Realism is neither what they were really going for nor what makes the movie. The language and vocabulary of these kids is phenominal, words like, Vapid, Pensive, Hanus, Tempestuous, Miscreants. There are lots of words like these throughout the movie. It is the thing that does the most to enable adult enjoyment.

For once they avoided the school bully theme, the bad guy in this is just a model who the chicks like and some of the guys hang with and alot of others just realise he is a fool. The recessive geek role is this time given alot more credibility, he is given the majority of the genuinely witty one liners and finds a soul mate for himself, instead of them just making it a joke that he stays a joke. There are a few parts you can really cheer in, you have to watch it to appreciate them. There is truly never a dull moment.

The best quote of the whole movie would have to be "it's just an excuse for all the nerds at our school to rub up against each other to distract themselves from the pathetic emptiness of thier meaningless consumer driven lives" that pretty much sums up the purpose of teen parties these days. For once you actually identify with the "bitch" role in this, both she and the guy that is falsely pursuing her take a backward step, usually when it comes time for the leading man to apolagise for his deceit you really cant believe him after they have focused for so long on his efforts, this time for some reason you do, it fits straight into the story. There is another half to that situation here aswell but I wont disclose, it is probably the best bit of the movie.

And the last major point is that this time the father character is a hell of alot stronger than before, if that had been weak so would the rest of the movie have been, but he is not. He has a reason for being there and you identify with him aswell. It is clear to see they were making the characters all strong in thier own right and stronger than the actual story.

To sum it all up the characters, story and acting are all perfect, adults can enjoy this one aswell, also because the main relationships are more stable and adult than the unpredictability of true teenage relationships, if they can be called such. So here is the count.

Production Values 2/2, Acting 2/2, Quality and Meaning 1.5/2, Screenplay 2/2, Originality 1/2

Anyone can get something from this movie and most can get alot. This is a must. For the movie it is I would give it 10 but going by the main qualities listed above which all movies can be measured by it would get

8.5/10

Typical Teen Movie About 10 Things

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
7 August 2008

'10 Things I Hate About You' is pretty much a typical teen movie that has nothing new to offer. It follows all those clichés about girl not liking guy in the beginning, guy woos her, girl likes him, there's a conflict, guy and girl split and then girl likes him again. Said to be based on 'The Taming Of The Shrew', this adaptation is fairly week and it would easily be lost among the dozens of forgettable teen films. However, it does have its funny moments. Plus, the chemistry between the actors makes some scenes work. The cast does work in favour. Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt do quite well. Larisa Oleynik and Julia Stiles irritate a lot in the beginning but in the latter half of the film, they improve. Allison Janney is a scene stealer as the principal/aspiring erotic novel writer. It is not a bad movie by any means, just not a very good one.

Page 1 of 54:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]