IMDb > "Here's Boomer" (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Here's Boomer" More at IMDbPro »

A wonderful show for people of all ages

Author: matlock-6 from Chicago, IL
1 July 2004

I adored this show when I was a little kid. Contrary to the review by "Robert Morgan", I recall that Boomer didn't look anything like Benji, but was actually a rather large, shaggy mongrel. I clearly remember an intro/opening credits with this large dog placing mail in a mailbox and raising the red "collect" flag on the side, and a Benji sized dog couldn't do that. I was 6 years old when the show was on though, so it's possible I've forgotten.

This show did borrow the premise of Benji (which I also loved), involving a very bright dog who goes around helping people. It capitalized on the popularity of "smarter than the average dog" shows, and was great for parents to watch with their children, to learn about compassion and humanize animals a little bit, hopefully teaching children that animals deserve our respect and love.

They don't make them like this anymore

Author: rickeystardust from Netherlands
22 May 2011

Watched this as a kid, am Dutch, and I remember I loved this series, I must have been around twelve years old at that time. And matlock-6, you were right about the intro, mailbox etc. , most I remember about the intro was Boomer putting his paws on a fence and looking underneath it, was so cute. Am over 40 now, own my second dog, wonderful animals. Just watched a "Here's Boomer" series, and brought tears in my eyes, maybe sentiment, not sure, but I miss things like this in the world.

i am just surprised they only made 20 series of this, in my mind it was much more, could be the impact it had in me.

Anyways, without any spoiler about it, Boomer (Johhny was his real name), his stunt double was named Boomer (Wiki) , you're in my heart forever, me and I think many more.