IMDb > "Batman Beyond" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Batman Beyond"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Batman Beyond" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Brilliant.

Author: Fred M. Hung from New York, NY
24 January 2000

Cartoons have come a long a way since I was a kid. Back then Batman and Superman were always 2-dimensional cardboard cutouts with interchangeable personalities. Depsite some commercial success, horribly retrograde filth like Pokemon do nothing but propagate this lack of imagination on the part of animators.

Now we have Warner Bros., whose Batman and Superman animated revivals challenge the long-held belief that cartoons are plot-wise inferior to their big screen and big budget brethren. The Batman and Superman cartoons of the early 90s have shown us a deeper, more tortured and angst-ridden side to our comic book heros while at the same time remaining firm to their virtue and nobility. This is the stuff that real dreams are made of.

Batman Beyond is just as ambitious. In the new world of technological revolution there is still need for a protector of justice. Like the original Batman, this one was again forged out of the victimology of social corruption and decadence.

By combining complex plot, intelligent dialogue, great Japanimation, an incredible cast of voices that at times have included Stockard Channing, Paul Winfield, James Sikking, Michael Gross, and Kevin Conroy, Warner Bros. has recapitalized the Batman myth for yet another generation. This new series is so smart and so edgy that I am constantly amazed by the levels of irony and metaphor. This is definitely entertaining for both kids and adults.

But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

At first glance it seemed silly but now I think it's great.

Author: Rob Can from United Kingdom
20 January 2006

Picture the scene. Young teenager enters a video rental shop. Suddenly his eyes fall on the video "Batman of the future (as it's called in the UK) Rebirth a batman movie. First thought: "What the?" I thought I might as well try it. Used to watch the old animated series. When I first watched it I just didn't know what to make of it. A strange futuristic world and stuff. And the title sequence seemed well odd.

I didn't really think much of it then.

It was when I found out that it was part of a TV series I have to say that my curiosity got the better of me. After seeing several episodes I began to understand it more. It was more of a teenagey show when compared to the original cartoons yet good.

I don't know why but the show just grew on me. Just something about it made me want to watch it. I also like the references to the past series and seeing the old characters no longer young and answering the question I'm sure many have been asking: he can't stay batman forever so how will it all end? Well if you're a fan of the older cartoon series or the comics (which I've never read) I think you may not enjoy this show.

To the people who hate this show I just say "well I liked it, maybe you should give it a chance mainly because the different style takes a little getting used to."

refreshing twist on the bat mythos

Author: headfulofghosts126 from Chicago
28 April 2002

I know many a hard core fan that resent this series based simply on the fact that Bruce Wayne is not Batman. Get over it. I find this to be a very well written, interesting show. The show is great looking, improving upon the stlyized animation of its predecessor. The only real flaws are the lack of memorable villains and the silly looking new batsuit. The show is still young, though and if given the chance to blossom further this could be a fantastic series. There have been many "what if" stories regarding what happens to the mantle of the bat after Bruce Wayne is no longer able to carry on. I think Batman Beyond handles the concept better than any other attempts that have been made thus far. So to all you purists who NEED Bruce Wayne in the batsuit, try and look beyond that one dimensional thinking and take the show for what it is. There's plenty to be enjoyed here.

Best Batman Series Ever!

Author: HenshinHero from United States
30 December 2005

Yep. That's right! I absolutely loved it.

Oh man! I can't believe it has been canceled a long time ago! Why did it has been canceled?!! I looooooved it. Best Batman series ever along with 4 previous Batman The Animated Series and Gotham Knight.

I actually liked the idea of the Future of Batman. The helmet and suit with red bat logo, those were amazing. I loved them. It was completely different and excellent unique.

Even though, I'm so excited to get Batman Beyond The First complete Season which it will be releases on March, 2006 along with Justice League. It's about time, huh? :) I'm so excited.

This series deserves to have 10/10. Best series ever.

Batman Akira style!

Author: anonymous
18 January 1999

This is so good! i ate this show up with a gold spoon..i love batman (except batman and robin), and was blown away. Part blade runner..part Akira, part spiderman 2099 (if anyone remembers that comic). this is a great way to give batman a twist and i welcome it on saturday mornings...just wish i'd get up for it! I'm so glad the shows branching off and being true to the comics it's like an animated "Elseworlds" issuse...terrific.

Very Interesting and Cool!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
13 April 2004

I kind of liked Batman Beyond a little better than Batman: The Animated Series. I also liked the really cool new Batman costume! It was a shame that my favorite Batman villain, Poison Ivy wasn't in this cartoon. She was my favorite because I had this huge crush on her! This series starts off in the future days of Gotham City where Bruce Wayne was retired and created this high-tech batman suit which was the last superhero suit he ever used. Terry McGinnis, a teenager whose father was killed because he was going to expose criminal activities at the company that he works for which just happens to be Wayne Enterprises. So then when Terry and Bruce meet with each other, Bruce trains him to become the new Batman! This show was really cool and had a lot of episodes. I wish another show that was like this, Spider-Man: Unlimited had the same number of episodes as this show did. I remember when this show first aired on Kids WB in early 1999 and then after it was canceled off of Kids WB, then Cartoon Network picked it up after Kids WB canceled it and showed reruns for a while and then canceled it again. I thought it was really cool with the new Batman costume and having a teenaged Batman do all the crime fighting and we also get to see a returning Batman villain, The Joker. Another villain I liked who I had a crush on was Inque. The action in this show was pretty neat and same with the animation! Pretty cool overall.

The best Batman ever.

Author: Figaro-8 (greyfigaro@hotmail.com) from Columbia, SC
22 May 2000

I don't know why it has taken me so long to comment on this one because it is one of my favorite series. It has very intriguing stories, awesome music, and a collection of some of the best villains ever, like Blight, Shriek, Inque and the Royal Flush Gang. But at the heart of the series is the relationship between Terry McGinnis and Bruce Wayne. Will Friedle and Kevin Conroy are excellent in their respective roles.

I said this in my review of "SubZero," and I'll say it again here. After the disappointing "Batman and Robin," WB needs to study these animated products and see just how Batman should be done. I would very much like to see "Batman Beyond" make it to the big screen in ANIMATED format. Until then, keep producing great episodes.

A slick look for a futuristic Dark Knight

Author: 4-Kane from Arlington, MA
14 February 2001

For a cartoon set in the future, 'Batman Beyond' appears slick and glossy. It is fun to watch, and is well-made. Considering his fine voice work as Batman/Bruce Wayne in 'Batman: The Animated Series,' Kevin Conroy was a perfect choice for the elderly version of our hero in 'Batman Beyond.'

Here he is about 40 years into the future. He may walking with a cane now, and unable to continue being Batman, but he can still give someone a good slug or two.

It's been 20 years since Bruce Wayne retired from his life as Batman (due to a mild heart attack). Because of this, Gotham City had spent these two long decades without the Dark Knight. But that changes when a teenager named Terry McGinnis enters the picture and makes the connection that Batman was really Bruce Wayne. McGinnis becomes the new Dark Knight to avenge the murder of his father.

Bruce Wayne may be too old to be Batman anymore, but it's good that the persona has been reborn in Terry McGinnis. Besides, without Batman (any Batman), Gotham City would fall apart.

Some good insights into Bruce Wayne, but that's it.

Author: The_Hooded_Claw from Middlesbrough, England
5 November 2002

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** This is a good kids show, and that's exactly what it is. It's a show that's good but aimed at kids who simply know the surface details about Batman. I have always found the most interesting thing about Batman is that the main character *is* Batman, whose alter ego is Bruce Wayne, not the other way around. I've been fascinated with the 'psychology' of Batman and all this show offers me are a few insights into Bruce Wayne's psyche. The best being in the first episode when we find out why he stopped being Batman. Go to the next paragraph if you don't want to know what it is. When rescuing a kidnapped girl he collapses because of his heart and in order to save his life from the crook he picks up a gun and threatens him with it. Brilliant. There are a few other good insights into Bruce Wayne but most of those are in the spin-off movie "Return of the Joker".

But you've got to love the bit in the first episode where a punk dressed up as a joker tries to scare Bruce Wayne.

Great Animation...

Author: Pat1973 (whitetigerpat@webtv.net) from Frankfort Illinois U.S.A.
21 January 2000

I really love this great animated series. It has everything from great plots to great characters. It's the first episode of this show and it very exciting. It's a whole new Batman! Bruce Wayne retires and then come a cocky young kid named Terry. He tries to be the best Batman he can, so Bruce takes him under is wing and treaches him the ropes. Exciting fight sceens and a great story. Out of 4 stars I give it 4! Let your kids watch this great video, or is o DVD too. With 4 extra episodes.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]