IMDb > Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 79:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Mr. Mojo rising

Author: devon-13 (lennemar@altavista.net) from Kristinehamn, Sweden
11 May 2000

Austin Powers is one of those movies that has become MORE popular as time wears on. Austin's slang has worked its way into the lexicon and everything from the redhot video to the Austin Powers Penis Enlarger is on sale and raking in meeeeeelions. When news of a sequel hit the streets, fans freaked. It's safe to say that AP2 is rivaled only by The Phantom Menace as 1999's must see.

The wait is over.

The second-most anticipated movie of 1999 finally comes to theaters. We're ecstatic to report that AP is a friggin' laugh riot, as Myers and crew have strung together another brilliant collection of one-liners and over the top, sometimes horribly disgusting, sight gags. The follow-up to 1997's video hit has Austin heading back to the 60s to track down his mojo, stolen by one of Dr. Evil's comically evil hapless henchmen. What's mojo? A multi-colored, stringy looking mess that makes Austin irresistible to the ladies. But the plot isn't so important. This is the Austin you know and love, only this time he's even more raw and hardcore.

It's clear that Myers was given a much larger budget to bring his vision to the screen after the runaway success of Austin Powers on video. The sets in Spy are much more vibrant and huge, the effects (yes, effects) are top-notch, and the pacing is completely nonstop. I had a perma-grin stuck on my face through the whole thing and will need to see it again just because the audience drowned out some lines with laughter.

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty Spy picks up with Austin taking a trip in a time machine back to the smashing 60s where, as we all know, he is a sexual dynamo. The time travel bits can get confusing, but as Basil Exposition of British Intelligence says, "Just sit back and enjoy yourself." Back in the 60s, Austin quickly draws the attention of his nemesis Dr. Evil. The hilarity begins as a patchwork parade of moronic henchmen attempt to wipe out Austin.

Still, the best reason to shell out your cash is that AP2 is clearly Dr. Evil's movie. If he's your favorite, you're in luck. Most important, we see him get some.

The film does lean a bit too heavily on gags from the first flick and some of the "Yeah, baby" schtick grows old fast. (When your Mammy starts saying "Yeah, baby," it's clearly tired, right?) Still, fans of the original will feel right at home with the budget destructo devices, the horrid teeth, and the clumsy bumblings of Austin himself. In a summer full of high concepts and big budget, AP2 is just the ticket.

Slightly better than the first

Author: MinorityReporter from Denmark
24 September 2005

I believe that the general consensus is that the first Austin Powers movie is the best of the bunch. I happen to disagree (as you can probably tell from my one-line-summary). I feel that the second film actually improves on the first film by adding a few new characters and generally cutting loose on the humor making it even more bizarre and funny than in the first film. I don't expect people to agree but at least hear me out as to why I think the second film is better.

As I said a few new characters have been added to the roster and we get to see some older characters in new and exiting ways. The best addition to the character rooster is Mini-Me, Doctor Evil's clone, played brilliantly by Verne Troyer. Not only is he hilariously funny but he also brings out a different side to Doctor Evil which I found to be extremely funny. On a related note I found Doctor Evil to be much more interesting as a character in the second film than in the first. Probably because the Austin character had to be established in the first film. Second there is the addition of Fat Bastard, played by Myers himself. A lot of people have responded negatively to Fat Bastard but I found him quite funny in a very weird way. Mike Myers definitely took a step up the weird ladder when he came up with him. Elizabeth Hurley is written out of the script very early in the film and instead Heather Graham is introduced as Felicity Shagwell. Heather Graham is not as strong as Hurley was as Austin's love interest but she remains nice as eye-candy and what can you expect more than that. Seth Green pretty much reprises his role from the first film. Nothing much to come after there. The supporting cast is pretty much the same as in the first film except this time we get to see Number Two in a young version played by Rob Lowe who does an uncanny imitation of Robert Wagner. Mindy Sterling and Michael York returns in their respective parts as well. There are also quite a few cameos in the film. Including Tim Robbins, Woody Harrelson, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos and many more.

The film still spoofs Bond obviously and the title in itself is of course a reference to The Spy Who Loved Me and once again I find that no-one does it better than Myers. After the success of the first I think they gave Myers free reigns because a lot of the stuff in this film is pretty far out. An example could be the hilarious fight between Austin and Mini-Me and an equally funny scene in a tent. I won't reveal any more than that. Another thing is that the overall effects seem much more polished this time around which is probably also caused by the success of the previous film.

The story is pretty much non-existent which I found to be an improvement over the previous film which actually attempted to incorporate a story rather than just be all out fun.

All in all I think it is a matter of taste. Either you prefer the first or you prefer the second but you should definitely give this film a try just for the heck of it.

All in all

Yeah, Baby!!! This is one of the funniest friggin' movies of all time

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
28 July 2002

I know it sounds silly, but I just think this is one of the funniest movies I had ever seen. Maybe I was just in a good mood or something, but I was a little surprised by the rating of just 6.5 because I knew a lot of people who enjoyed the movie as well as I did.

We have Austin Powers and he's back and funnier and nakeder than ever! Despite some recycled jokes, they still get a laugh when he's walking through the hotel butt naked and only certain objects cover him. When Dr. Evil escapes the giant dummy in space and heads back to Earth, Austin alone must go on his mission alone since we find out Venessa was a fembot. We have a new addition to the family with a miniature replica that is 1/8 the size of Dr. Evil he calls "Mini Me". Mini Me is just so cute and he wants to kill Scott. Scott and Mini Me just steal the movie from this point on. Dr.Evil decides to go back into the 60's and take over the world by aiming a "lazer" at the moon.

Austin must now go back in time back to the 60's and finds his sexy assistant, Felicity played by a very beautiful but pretty bad actress Heather Grahm. Together they must find and fight Dr. Evil before he makes over a trillion... oops! I mean a billion dollars! There is another addition of a villain, Fat Bastard, despite most of his gross jokes, you except him into the Austin family.

Like I said, there are recycled jokes, but that doesn't keep you from laughing and having a good time. Just let go and learn to have fun with the movie. Come on, you have got to admit that #2's death was just great and so funny! Let's get the rating up, it deserves better than a 6.5! I think Austin fans will enjoy this shagadelic movie!

Recycles old humor, but still fun...

Author: Cephyran from Alberta
4 October 2004

The Spy who Shagged Me - not a title you'd expect to garner much respect, but this movie does okay. With Austin Powers 2 we see the arrival of such characters as Mini-Me and Fat Bastard, who inevitably help steer the sequel way from completely recycling every joke used in the first film. However, there is still that overlap, so a lot of the humor comes off a bit stale and tacky. There is virtually no end to the plot holes, inconsistencies, and various irregularities, but that is often a big part of the humor of the Austin Powers movies - making direct fun of the spy genre, as well as themselves.

And, on a personal note, Heather Graham is by far more attractive than Liz Hurley, and she flaunts it with great respect for us, the juvenile minded male audience. Overall, I'd consider this sequel about on par with the original, not in any specific details, but in all-around entertainment value.

More inevitable cheekiness from Myers

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
21 April 2007

The follow-up to 1997's Austin Powers:International Man of Mystery was probably not a certainty form the get-go:if I recall correctly,the first Austin Powers was NOT the smashing success of a box-office film that many involved initially imagined,and had it not been for a strong reaction from video and DVD renters,the franchise may've stopped at one. Since I happened to enjoy the first one(saw it on video BTW),I can honestly say that while the sequels seemed to have depreciating value,I'm still glad that Myers and company went ahead with the follow-ups.

Now acclimated to the '90s,Austin(Myers,who else?)is about to settle into wedded bliss when he's attacked in his honeymoon suite by a legion of Fembots,given marching orders by a refugeed Dr.Evil(Myers,see previous ref). It seems that Evil's back trying to destroy the free world,this time with the aid of a time machine of his own making. Of course,the British secret service ALSO has a time machine(of course),and Austin races through time to stop Evil's plans,this time with the help of one Felicity Shagwell(Heather Graham,beautiful,sexy,game,and yet somehow out of her element here),an American NOC agent from the year 1969.

A whole series,moving almost in waves,of sight-gags,verbal plays and yet more homages to Bond and Bond-type movies of the '60s,basically keeps the continuity of the original going seamlessly. Much of the cast from the last movie-- particularly Robert Wagner as the chief Hench,Seth Green as sullen son Scott Evil,Mindy Sterling as Frau FArbissima,Michael York as Basil Exposition and Will Ferrell as Mustafa the Assassin(who must be asked the same question THREE times in order to get information. One of my favorite gags from the movie)--are back,supplemented by Rob Lowe as the younger Number Two,Verne Troyer as Evil's identical clone,one-tenth his size and Myers again as Fat Bastard,a Scotish assassin with a violent temper who weighs a metric ton(I think I'm paraphrasing there),among others. Cameos by(among others) Burt Bacharach(as from the previous film)and Elvis Costello are added to give the film it's small slice of romanticism. Jay Roach returns to direct this one,and he,as usual,is near transparent in allowing Myers(not only star and co-producer but also screenwriter)to pretty much take this film as high,low,far,close,loud,soft and whatever as he fancies. While the original's flavor seems to be getting steadily diluted by the "franchise effect" of sequels(in other words,the effect that kind of makes a movie more of a "product" than a piece of entertainment),it still has the same sass,cheeky humor and fun to keep it quite enjoyable.

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
15 June 1999

Hilarious return to the international man of mystery with this non stop laugh ride of a film with Myers doing it again as Austin, Dr. Evil and a new character named Fat Bastard. There are many funny moments in the film especially the Scott/Dr. Evil episode of Jerry Springer and the emergence of Mini-Me, perfectly played by Verne Troyer. The laughs are constant. You'll laugh so hard, you'll have a headache when you leave the theater.

An inferior sequel, more successful, but lacking the dry wit of its predecessor.

Author: silverzero from Dungarvan, Ireland
7 February 2003

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

The Spy Who Shagged Me is a muchly overrated and over-hyped sequel. International Man of Mystery came straight out of the blue. It was a lone star that few people had heard of. But it was stunningly original, had sophisticated humour and ample humour, always kept in good taste, and had a brilliant cast. The Spy Who Shagged Me was a lot more commercially advertised and hyped about.

OK I'll admit, the first time I saw this film I thought it was very funny, but it's only after watching it two or three times that you see all the flaws. The acting was OK, but Heather Graham cannot act. Her performance didn't seem very convincing and she wasn't near as good as Liz Hurley was in the first one. Those characters who bloomed in the first one, (Scott Evil, Number 2 etc.) are thrown into the background hear and don't get many stand-alone scenes. The film is simply overrun with cameos.

In particular, I hated the way they totally disregarded some of the scenes in IMOM. When they killed off Vanessa at the start and had Basil sat that he knew she was a fembot all along. What was the point of that? They killed off Number 2 in the first one, and now they bring him back with no explanation whatsoever. This is supposed to be a spy-spoof, I don't think any of the characters even hold a gun in the film. It just goes on a trail, further and further away from the point.

The new characters are very unwelcome. The whole Mini-Me `make fun of my size' joke gets old very quickly. Fat Bastard is just a lame excuse for gross-out humour. In total there's about two or three good jokes. The rest are either tasteless or rehashed from IMOM.

If this were the first movie of the series then I'd probably be easier on it. But the series started on a note of dry wit and then plummeted down to a level of gross out humour. So I say, only watch this film if you haven't seen its predecessor, because The Spy Who Shagged Me is one ultimate disappointment.

Will Film Buffs Like This ? ...

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
23 May 2004

... Yeah baby yeah

I didn't watch the original Austin Powers INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY down to the fact that there's been more than enough Bond spoofs made over the years like those movies in the 1980s that starred Roger Moore . What ? they were actually official Bond movies ! Oh dear , I honestly thought they were spoofs and how do you spoof a spoof ? CASINO ROYALE tried it and failed while those movies that featured THE MAN FROM UNCLE are so dated they're almost unwatchable and lets not forget those awful Matt Helm movies . Come to think of it a comedy like THE PARTY that pokes fun at 1960s youth counter culture also feel very dated a surrogate Bond figure transported from the 1960s doesn't hold much appeal to me baby

However I was very surprised as to how much I enjoyed THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME down to the fact it's far more sophisticated than I expected . There's umpteen references to other TV shows and movies that IMDb die hards can enjoy . There's an edition of THE JERRY SPRINGER SHOW ( Complete with bouncers Todd and Steve ) which could have easily have been a proper edition than a send up , there's a set stolen from crap 60s series THE TIME TUNNEL , a scene stolen from THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOREAU , a fight scene very reminiscent of the dog attack from THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY . I could go on listing all the movie and TV connections but I won't bother except to say that the plot of this movie is merged with the plots of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and MOONRAKER

The aforementioned elements will certainly appeal to the film buffs while the bad taste jokes will appeal to the teenage market . I wasn't all that taken with the character of Fat Bastard or the fart jokes or the scene with " This coffee tastes like sh*t " but it's refreshing to see a movie comedy that does try to mix post modernist sophistication with gross out humour , JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK probably tried this but totally failed . Also naming characters with double entrede names like Felicity Shagwell and Robin Spitz Swallows might be crass but film fans will remember the Bond movies also had similarly named characters like Miss Goodthighs ( " So I can see " ) and Plenty O Toole ( " Of course you do " ) so I guess this is also an amalgamation between schoolboy humour and sophistication

THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME is hardly Oscar material but is very entertaining

insulting...

Author: markles from mmcdanna@yahoo.com
28 June 1999

Austin Powers 2 was an insult to my intelligence, though I did shell out the five bucks without anyone forcing me to do so. The movie had all of the same jokes from the first film without any of the wit, and Mike Myers somehow managed to run(well, hammer) the already tired bits of AP1 even farther into the ground. He also managed to over-saturate the film with sub-juvenile bathroom humor--an extremely overweight character's bowel movement simply isn't funny.

Though the first movie had its moments, the sequel came across like a joke that wasn't terribly funny the first time you heard it, only you've heard it 15 times since and this time it comes from someone who doesn't know how to tell it. Unfortunately, I fear we'll be given a third installment in which the same old gags don't work yet again.

Give us a break, Mike. Write something creative.

It's shagadelic baby

Author: SRVHS from Danville, CA
17 September 1999

This is one great movie. To me, to make a good comedy movie you need to make it very funny, and have a cast of lovable zany characters. If you have all that then you got a great comedic movie on your hands.

A main thing you need is slapstick humor. In a scene from the movie Austin and his trusty sidekick Felicity Shagwell are in a tent being watched by Dr. Evil's guards. Austen is down on his hands and knees doing exercises while Felicity is checking their inventory. Since there is a light in the tent it sends their shadows to the outside of the tent where it looks to Dr. Evil's guards that Felicity is reaching in and taking things out of Austin's derriere. The funniest part is when accidently sets of a smoke bomb (if you understand what they were trying to show). Meanwhile, any scene with Fat B@#$%&d is a laugh riot. Especially the scene where he explains that babies are the other other white meat.

Another good aspect to a great comedy is a cast of crazy characters. Mike Meyers is great as the swingin' Austin Powers, The maniacal Dr. Evil, and as Fat B@#$%&d the one metric ton Scotsman. Other great characters in the movie include the pint-sized maniacal Mini-Me Dr. Evil's 1/8 sized clone, and Scott Evil the punk son of Dr. Evil. They all are incredibly cartoonish players who are great when they interact with each other.

From this Frickin' rotating chair that I sit in I can definatly approve of this movie. They have fantastically funny jokes that leave you rolling in the aisles. Along with side-splitting off-the-wall characters. This movie has everything you could ever ask for. It's sp funny that you will want to see it as many times as you probobly saw Titanic.

by, A.J SRHigh