IMDb > Time Chasers (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Time Chasers

Time Chasers More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Not a horrible movie, but one great MST3K episode!

Author: jlkeene from Memphis, TN
10 April 2004

I caught the MST'ed version of this movie. I have to give the film writers credit for writing an ambitious and complex story line, and actually doing a somewhat decent job given the incredibly low budget they had. This is one of the few MST3K episodes where I actually was compelled to follow the story's twists and turns, in addition to listening to Mike and the bots tearing it apart.

The computers (Commodore?), hair styles (mullets!), and clothing styles were straight out of 1984 -- was that intentional on the part of the writers or just a result of a low budget? Who knows.

The MST3K episode of this movie is downright hilarious -- one of the best I'd seen. By the way, folks, that wasn't Lisa Kudrow.

Yikes!

Author: Sterno-2 from Frederick, MD
16 September 1999

A good premise is wasted with bad dialog, wooden characters, and a hero that can't drive a car! It's true -- he commutes everywhere by bicycle. Our loser, err hero comes up with a time machine that runs off an old Apple IIe. He has to be fairly brilliant to have a time travelling program that can be condensed onto a couple of old 5 inch floppies!

Our heroine is a newspaper reporter tricked into seeing the loser's invention with a story about a parachuting grandma. Later, when she discovers her own dead body, her reaction is as wooden as that of a cigar store Indian (or Al Gore, take your pick).

The movie was shot in and around Rutland, Vermont. The local mall was used as the offices of the evil CEO, as well as the town's airport. At least the beautiful surroundings to take your mind off the bad movie. The Revolutionary War reenactors give the best performance.

If you're an Alpha Geek who wants to find a way to get a woman, use this movie as your guide. Otherwise, forget it.

A first movie is a first movie.

Author: colcam
12 November 1998

Unlike a lot of movies made today, this one was a labor of love, not a high pressure money making endeavor. Shortcomings aside, any movie could be great-- but shortcomings cannot be set aside. The movie was made, and it does have problems, but it was made-- something a lot of detractors have never done. HWS

Immensely entertaining, very fun

Author: mightymothra from Massachusetts, USA
16 August 2015

A lot people get down on this film because it's so goofy, but it is very, very entertaining. The plot moves from location to location at good clip with a lot of energy from the actors, and as such, never gets dull. The villain is so weirdly delightful you can't help but love him, and the same goes for the hero.

I honestly really appreciated how earnest this film was, and how it set its ambitions high, even if it couldn't always deliver on the premise of a time traveling pilot inventor who destroys the future.

It's the quintessential MST3K film, there's no getting around that, but it's so because it's so very enjoyable to watch. Perfect for viewing with friends.

It is that bad...

Author: Bob (robertmack@comcast.net) from Indianapolis, USA
15 March 2003

I'm not really sure they were trying to make a good film. There was a lot of material that really helped weaken this film that could have been edited out, and wasn't. It's almost as if the director, or the producer was making a film simply to have a bunch of friends appear on camera and was afraid to take out very poor scenes when their removal would have strengthened this film. Still and all, it wouldn't have been a good movie.

Brilliant and realistic

Author: hayden-8 from Port Elizabeth, South Africa
27 April 2002

A bicycle riding university professor converts his two seater aeroplane into a time machine. In an attempt to gain media coverage he fakes a story about an eighty year old granny about to skydive for the first time (yes, he lives in a very small town). His plaid wearing high school sweetheart turned major reporter, ok,ok,she does local news is sent to cover the story. He impresses her by taking her on a trip to the future. A future which bears a startling similarity to the eighties. And the most unfashionable part of the eighties at that.

He also invites a pink suited executive from an Evil Corporation (is there any other?)which has its headquarters in what looks very much like a shopping mall. Thanks to our inventor's inability to read a contract, he is, after all only a professor, he signs over his invention to the Corporation who, obviously, have Evil intentions.

Featuring the most unconvincing hero in screen history, this nonetheless remains a brilliant and realistic study of the future, and says more about man's greed and disregard for his fellow man than most films with much higher budgets. The sheer depth of the script more than compansates for the flawed acting and costume design. It had me thinking for days after I saw it. Thinking about the filmmaker's greed and sheer disregard for the people who endured this.

Unbelievably Awful

Author: Tkortemeier from Minnesota, USA
2 April 2002

The only reasons I can think of for this film existing are 1. To be on MST3K, and 2. to serve as an example for awful films with no production values. If you do happen across this movie "un-mistied" leave it alone, and make sure to catch the MST3K version, for many good laughs, as it points out the obsurdities in this movie.

It helps to turn your brain off... *SPOILERS*

Author: icehole4 from Irving, TX
5 February 2002

... to dull the incredible pain this stinkmaster causes. You really have to feel sorry for Lisa Kurdow in this film. The film's makers picked her to be in a small, uncredited cameo role. Instead of making her the lead, they chose Bonnie Pritchard. Why is beyond me. Probably the only person who can act in this entire film is Lisa. There are plot holes big enough to park the Titanic inside. The plot goes like this: A geek that has loser written all over him invents a time machine (and why in the world was he using Commodore C64 computers anyway? Did IBM & Apple wisely tell these people not to use their products? For 1994, those computers would have been about 10 years old.) He takes a reporter (Pritchard) back and forth in time, then also a swarmy businessman. The businessman copies the time machine, and starts reeking havoc on the timestream. Therefore, the inventor has to go back in time and tell himself not to show the invention to the businessman. But something I didn't understand: if you go back in time to prevent yourself from doing something, how would you know to go back in time to do it? In the end, I cheered when both inventor and businessman died in the Revolutionary war era.

This film was produced by Peter Beckworth. He also gave us Moving Targets, a film that combines the talents of Burt Ward, Miles O'Keefe, and Linnea Quigley. It was filmed completely in Vermont, and it shows why there are no major cities in that state. Avoid this one unless you're watching the MST3K version.

It's 'Back to the Future' if my friends and I made it...

Author: flybrian from Clearwater, Florida
2 February 2002

The plot - or whatever semblance of one graces this dreck - is about the evil GenCorp's plan to destroy the world involving a time machine somehow.

Ok: Time machine...evil corporation...doom for all. Never seen that before.

This film is just plain horrible. More campy than a vacation at Yellowstone Park. This bike-riding nerd-in-love creates a time machine out of a Cessna 172. First, if I were him, I'd invent a way for cheap plastic surgery for my face. Second, what was with the Cessna? He can't drive a car, but he has access to a plane? Why not make a time machine out of a Volvo? Third, this love infatuation of his is the feminine version of plaid-clad Al Borland from HOME IMPROVEMENT.

Of course, they travel to the future via grainy and shaky graphics to find out that a large rendition of the "future" has been decimated. Now, truth be told, I skipped over much of the*ahem*content of the film, but suffice it to say that the previous criticism is true. I did manage to catch the fact that a throughly modern aircraft crashes during the Revolutionary War and goes unnoticed. Fun to watch and to laugh at.

BTW: Apparently all 1950s-era cars are restored hotrods and the Mall of the Future looks like the malls of the early 90s for some odd reason...Oh, and don't throw away your old 5.5" floppies, they just might hold the secret of time travel!

Plot Holes the size of Mt. Fuji!!

Author: cpruitt from Portland, Or
9 March 2001

What happened to the 'second' hero who went back to 1777? Didnt the soldiers of 1777 document the 1st use of an UZI? Wouldnt a PLANE CRASH FROM 1777 BE NEWS??? The girl who 'died' in the plane crash didnt find it unusually shocking that she FOUND HER OWN DEAD BODY IN THE PLANE CRASH?? My god, this script must have been written over a lunch meeting with the producers. Awful, and just flat out stupid. 1 star because of the JFK Dollar from 2041.

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]