Spider-Man (2002) Poster

(2002)

2,038 Reviews
Big-budget blockbuster film-making with flair; a blast from start to finish.
Pjtaylor-96-13804414 February 2018
Sure, at times 'Spider-Man (2002)' is a little cheesy and perhaps even border-line camp, but this is big-budget blockbuster film-making with flair. Sam Raimi's distinct directing style is present and appreciated, even if it is reined in a little. It brings to life a colourful comic-book world in a believable, entertaining way and it's much better than the washed-out, generic stuff we so often see nowadays. The piece can be melodramatic on occasion but it also isn't afraid to get dark, with some sequences actually being pretty brutal (I'll refer you to the final fight between Spider-Man and the Green Goblin, who's defeat is wince-inducing to say the least) and highlighting the dangers of the occupation well, while never losing sight of the heart of the character. The flick is incredibly well-made and, for me, still holds up. It's a true highlight of the genre; a blast from start to finish. 9/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most Down-to-Earth Superhero movie - Experience the story of your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
CobraLOrd019 January 2018
Spiderman is a movie based on the homonymous comic book created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. It follows the story of Peter Parker (played by Tobey Maquire) a science nerd, high school boy, who's been love with Mary Jane (M.J.) since 6th grade. Peter's parents have died in a plane crash accident and Peter has been living with his uncle Ben and aunt May since he was very young. One day he goes on a school tour to this government/university laboratory and gets bitten by a genetically engineered spider. Spider instills fluids into his organism that later give Peter supernatural abilities, Spider-sense (sensing danger before it occurs), superhuman strength & reflexes, web generation like a spider etc. Peter's life changes drastically from then onward. He becomes powerful but he's reminded by his uncle (who's his father figure). After a fatal accident that occured on his uncle Ben he's fueled by anger and revenge to stop the ones responsible and fight to stop crime. His friend's father Norman Ozborn, an influential, rich genius with a huge corporation "Ozcorp", becomes evil as Government defense agency pulls funding from him. Norman's double personality (with Green Goblin) won't stop at anything to get what he wants but he must first kill Spiderman, then nothing will stand on its way.

Spiderman has long been one of my favorite comic book stories, because it is so down to earth. The audience can really relate to Peter, because what happened to him could really happen to anyone. Sam Raimi's excellent direction does justice to Spiderman's story in the best way possible. It presents it on screen in a surprisingly mature way, realistically, with only a few spicy details thrown every now and then to remind the audience of the comic book fashion of the story. The plot is driven by the excellent pacing in a timely manner. Energetic, fluid, everything flows naturally. Also the fights are well choreographed but nothing too amazing. The movie is very entertaining and enjoyable to watch and re-watch.

The cast of characters is truly impeccable. One cannot simply forget the role of J. Jonah Jameson (played by J. K. Simmons) as the chief news editor of "The Daily Bugle" a news company, who employs Peter to take Spiderman's pictures. His cast could only be compared to Gandalf's in LOTR. The acting is great, except one or two scenes that in my opinion are a bit exaggerated. The dialogue is fantastic. As an example, the ending talk by M.J. talking to Peter is played perfectly (i was amazed by the level of emotion in this scene. I was convinced Kirsten Dunst was pefect in her role). The film contains some of the wittiest quotes you'll ever hear. Lets not forget the dialogue scene between Peter and his uncle Ben, "with great power comes great responsibility" speech, which for me is one of the greatest dialogue scenes ever depicted on film. The antagonist "The Green Goblin" is utterly ruthless and a worthy menace to our hero.

Cinematography encompasses some spectacular visuals in here, especially when Spiderman webs around the city's SkyScrapers, it is something you've never seen before. It's a delight to watch this movie. CGI aren't great though, they could benefit from a digital remaster. And let's not forget the fantastic work by Danny Elfman on the Soundtrack. It is a pure joy to hear, it enhances the dramatic moments of the film and fits so well throughout.

Spiderman is an amazing movie. I loved this film when i watched it when i was young. I rewatched it again yesterday and saw that it hasn't aged a bit. This is a refreshing story, released at an important time for comic book movies that were rising at the time with Blade and X-Men. There are only a few dramatically exagerated scenes, that although serve the story, could have been streamlined a bit for realism, but i understand the director's intentions.

Rating: 9/10 - Amazing
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The worst of the first 6 Spidey movies.
TownRootGuy7 December 2017
Maguire is the best Spidey as of Homecoming.

This movie has great FX and action AND it brought a Hulk-sized helping of funny.

The entire cast did a great job! Not to say all roles should have been included. The amount of soap in this web opera could clean up all the hillbillies in Kentucky. I guess if you're a 12 y/o girl or a lonely, middle-aged woman MJ might be likable but otherwise she's just obnoxious. So much so as to keep knocking me out of the story. All 3 of Raimi's Spidey flicks are hurt by this as well as his use of endless screeching. Seriously, does he hate his audiences? Everything else is good enough to make this a yearly watch for me.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The web-heads triumphant debut on the silver screen
Andrew Miller11 November 2017
When I was a kid, Spiderman was always a character that I was aware of, but never much cared for apart from the 90s animated show, so when I went to see the movie in the summer of '02, I was pretty excited to see it and it didn't let me down. From it's superb direction and themes to it's acting and effects, Spiderman is a revolutionary movie in the superhero genre.

The movie follows a high schooler named Peter Parker who is an outsider and can't bring himself to open up to his childhood crush, Mary Jane, but after being bitten by a genetically enhanced spider, Peter discovers that he has gained new abilities, but after his uncle is murdered, Peter decades to use his powers for good and learn what it means to have power and responsibility.

One of the more difficult tasks with bringing a character like Spiderman to the big screen is to give the audience plenty of background information on the lead character in order for us to care about him because if there is too much focus on the heroes origin then it tends to slow the movie down but if the viewer is given too little then they won't connect with the hero. This is something Sam Raimi is able to hit the right notes with by setting up our hero in the few minutes of the movie as we see Peter as a nerdy outsider, allowing the viewer to get to know him better, while another part of the movie's charm is the grand and beautiful style added to it thanks to the bouncy and attentive directing from Sam and writer David Koepp's engaging dialog which allows the story to unfold and allows each character to develop as the movie progresses and while Koepp's script might have an out-of-date touch to it, it feels like Burton's Batman when it comes to format and dialog and can come across as a bit off-putting, it still adds to the movie's charms and makes it a lot more timeless.

While Spiderman's origin is incredibly simple, it feels akin to Donner's Superman, telling the whole story of how the hero comes to be while Rami and Koepp approach the movie with a great deal of respect for the original 60s comic book by maintaining all the major elements of the story like the spider bite and Uncle Ben's murder but don't try to put their own spin on it, rather they adjust certain facts to apply to modern day and the end product is an enduring and touchingly inspiring origin perfectly suiting the character and Sam is able to get the tone of the movie just perfectly by letting the movie have a sense of fun, but never forgets the core message of the story and gives ample devotion to the serious stuff too.

As for the look and feel of the film, Raimi takes great care to be as faithful to the world of Spiderman as possible and New York looks amazing, not even Batman's Gotham City bears a flawless harmony of elegance and reality that Raimi has made. Sam's trademark dynamic camera works fits this kind of movie perfectly and every single shot in the movie is full of momentum and a wonder to be hold. Sam's concept for Spiderman is also supported convincingly by some top-notch visual effects and action with Spidy swings though the Manhattan streets with agility and elegance and while some of the CGI is a bit wonky at times, the visual effects in the movie are flawless for the most part while Raimi provides us with plenty of entertaining battle scenes throughout the film, climaxing in a ferocious and grand face-off that's more extreme and primeval than most other action scenes in superhero movies.

As with most comic book movies, Spiderman would be nothing without a stellar cast and it certainly delivers that in spades. Toby Maguire is an eye-opener as Spiderman/Peter Parker. Much like Robert Downey Jr. or Hugh Jackman, Maguire absolutely encompasses almost everything needed for Spiderman. He brings a good-heart-ed, timid, compassion to his performance but also skillfully portrays both the geeky side and heroic side of the character with remarkable ease while his enthusiastic looks assure the viewer that he looks like a teen, but even wearing the suit, Maguire exhibits a boyish boldness as well as a bit of innocence but nevertheless is fearless when he battles his foes, clearly Rami and Sony took a risk with Maguire and it pays off wonderfully. Kirsten Dunst is a believable Mary Jane and gives a wonderful performance plus the chemistry between her and Toby seems to ooze off the screen whenever they are together. James Franco is wonderful as Harry Osborn, bringing the character's conflicts with his father and his relationship with Peter to life in a wonderful way. Rosemary Harris is wonderful as Aunt May as is Cliff Robertson as Uncle Ben and J.K. Simmons steals every scene he's in as the fiery and grumpy J. Jonah Jameson while on the other side of the coin is Willem Dafoe as the evil Green Goblin/ Norman Osborn. When he is Norman, Dafoe portrays a more fatherly figure to Peter while displaying sighs of what he will later become, but when he becomes insane, Willem fully grasps his madness and goes as over-the-top as one can go and uses a richer voice tone for Norman while using a hoarser voice and psychotic laugh for the Goblin without going too cartoonish but still maintaining a conniving and threatening persona that invokes dread throughout New York, truly one of the finest villains in all of comic book filmdom.

If I did have an issue with the film, it would the Green Goblin suit as it does look like something out of Power Rangers, but apart from that, Spiderman is a truly fantastic comic book movie. Definitely one to watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good example for how to make a good comic book movie
Nick Lattin-Scheetz20 October 2017
I was 2 years old when it was being announced that Spider-Man was going to be on the big screen, I didn't know who Spider-Man was, until I watched the movie when it came out on DVD. So what was the result of me watching it? I loved it. Sam Raimi himself is actually a comic book fan so he already knew what he had to do when he first directed this, he knew how to develop the characters and to match the original tone Spider-Man is supposed to be. First I will discuss what I like about the movie: I genuinely love the cast. Tobey Maguire is without a doubt one of the absolute best actors to play Peter Parker we've ever had, he has the soft nerdiness the character is supposed to have and it's very easy to care and sympathize with him in what he's going through, while I do agree he's not as good at being Spider-Man as he is with being Peter I still believe he does a fantastic job, he has funny one- liners and he was able to get ripped in order to look like how the character is supposed to look in the comics. I have absolutely no complaints with Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson, she's lovable, tough, sympathetic, and beautiful, what more could you ask for? I would've been shocked if James Franco said no to playing Harry Osborn, being that he's known for his work when it comes to comedy it must've been an interesting twist for him to play a more serious role, loyal, dedicated, intelligent, and sometimes delusional, Dane DeHaal should've learned from this before he agreed to star in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Rosemary Harris and Cliff Robertson as Aunt May and Uncle Ben were perfect choices, they portrayed the characters the exact same way they were supposed to be portrayed in the comics and I have no problems whatsoever. Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn and the Green Goblin is perfect, Dafoe himself actually wanted the part and you can see how passionate he was when Raimi hired him, his overthetop expressive behavior in the movie is just how the Goblin is supposed to be in the comics and all the other relevant adaptations of him. If there were any cast members that I didn't know were in this and I ended up being surprised by what I discovered it would be Elizabeth Banks as Betty Brandt, there's not much to say about her other than she's kind, beautiful, and can't be replaced. Last but not least is none other than J.K Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, he's an over-bearing, obnoxious, loud mouth cartoon character in a live-action movie and there's never a boring scene that he's in, every single word that comes out of his loud, obnoxious, non-stop rambling, mouth of his is music to my ears! The camera work in this movie, while not spectacular by today's standards is still very cool to watch, whether it's any scene with spider-sense tingling, an intense action scene, or Spider- Man web slinging through the city. Spider-Man's suit is a very cool design and it stands out as being one of the most memorable Spider-Man costumes. The score composed by Danny Elfman is an absolute masterpiece, it's the overall best Spider-Man movie theme of all time, there is nothing that can top it. The change where Peter has organic web shooters instead of mechanical web shooters like in the comics is so much better because if you're bitten by a spider that gives you spider powers, why would you not be able to shoot webs from your wrists organically? Now for what I don't like about the movie: 1.Some of the c.g effects definitely haven't aged well, especially in the scene where Peter is testing his agility when jumping across a few rooftops. 2. The dialogue stinks, a lot of what the characters say comes out as being either shlocky, awkward, or just plain dumb, 2 examples include "it's you who's out Goblin, out of your mind" and "I think I have a superhero stalker." 3. The acting is extremely goofy, primarily with Willem Dafoe, his over the top behavior is very silly at times especially in the scene where he's talking to himself in the mirror and the scene where he talks to his Green Goblin mask when wondering how to kill Spider-Man. 4. Speaking of the Green Goblin's mask, his suit in this is just flat out ridiculous, the Green Goblin is one of the most expressive characters in comic book history, and they had the best actor to play him, but that's really hard to represent when you have him wearing a plastic mask with a frozen expression, thus he looks more like a Power Rangers character than he does as the Green Goblin. 5. This is the last complaint I have but unfortunately it's also the biggest problem I have with not just this movie but the entire series, the romance in this movie is HORRIBLE!!! The relationship between Peter and Mary Jane is so complicated that you'll be demanding the movie to just bring them together and let things stay that way so that you don't have to sit through how cringe worthy it is. In conclusion while the movie is definitely goofy by today's standards and is nowhere near perfect it's still a very clever and enjoyable adaptation of our favorite web-head. I may not love it as much as I used to when I was younger but it still makes me feel good every time I watch it. Because that's our gift, our curse, who are we? We're Spider-Man fans.
The origin of Spiderman
DCfan7 October 2017
This movie was really awesome I remember watching it a day after my 16th birthday and I was so happy because my 16th birthday didn't go as planned on the day, my dad was on a night shift and my mom was too tired so I decided to open my uncles birthday present and I got the first 3 Spiderman movies.

If you love the comics you would love this movie. Tobey Maguire was awesome as Spiderman. I would say give it a go for the new generation of Spiderman fans.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This was a great movie and I not a good witter but responsibility is everything
darkmage-8768230 September 2017
I like this movie because in this movie it show how peter was going through different stages in the beginning of the movie on how he was the weakest and how he got picked on by bullies after that he got his powers he took down his bully and understand what they are and how to use them then he created new goals and he overcame those challenges but someone important to him died and told him and i quote "with great power comes with great responsibility" that quote stuck with him and to do great things with his powers and to give back to the people and to protect them
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good
morganstephens51219 September 2017
I thought it was actually pretty good. The story was told well and the effects were actually pretty good (and for the time probably even better). I thought the Green Goblin was probably one of the best villains I seen for a superhero film. Because it showed his insanity, but it wasn't over the top. I thought the actor for Peter Parker wasn't that great for the first 30 minutes or so, but got pretty good after the death of Uncle Ben. I have no problem believing that when it was released, it was the best superhero movie made. he one thing I will admit I do prefer in the newer films was I actually thought the actor for Uncle Ben did a better job in that one. Not saying this one was bad, but I just was more attached to that one. Maybe I will have to see that one again just to be sure. Since it's been over a year. Overall, a 8.5/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Childhood Memories Forever Golden.
John William H.18 September 2017
Spiderman resurrected the superhero movie genre that was in a perpetual flunk since Batman & Robin sucked the life out of it; thanks to Spidey and the X-Men MARVEL's superheroes reanimated the supposedly doomed genre from beyond the grave and it's now back in full-swing. And thankfully Batman and Spiderman now live a peaceful and successful co-existence in the form of movies like The Dark Knight Trilogy, The LEGO Batman Movie, Justice League, Spiderman: Homecoming and Avengers Infinity War. So how does this movie from 2002 hold up? Very well I dare say.

I remember seeing Spiderman at the cinema like it was yesterday; okay maybe not quite as literal as that but I remember the WOW of it like it just happened. Seeing my equal favourite superhero of all time in a movie at long last was a once-in-a-lifetime event! The suit was amazing, the music was amazing and so was the action; though the visual CG-effects haven't aged very well. However the fighting was visceral just like the choreography in the sequences, and all these extremes actually respected Spiderman's character. The film was funny, exciting and emotional at times. It's pretty much a satisfying full-package of a superhero movie.

Spiderman is still my favourite Marvel superhero and this film compliments everything that makes the character memorable and distinct from the rest of the 'super-crowd'.
Best spider-man movie to date next to spider-man 2
Joseph Brennan21 August 2017
This movie is the best spider-man movie and everyone casted in this movie just got it right with jk Simmons as j jonah jameson and willem dafoe as green goblin / Norman Osborn is fantastic also James Franco as harry and as much i like tom Holland as spider-man I don't think no one will ever beat Toby Maguire as spider-man Sam raimi knew what he was doing because he was a major fan of spider-man so he knows what he was doing when he directed oh and Danny elfmans soundtrack is beautiful and the final fight scene will always be my faviourite fight scene of any superhero movie
Great
Smoreni Zmaj15 July 2017
I'm not Spider-man fan. To me, he is one of least interesting superheroes. But, if I ignore few really unnecessary pathetic monologues, this is one of the best superhero movies I saw so far. Have in mind that, with few exceptions, I watch them chronologically, so the statement refers to films made up to 2002. Within the genre I rate it nine, overall it's strong seven.

A true hero
What can I say about Spider-Man? It's an amazing movie. Everything is excellent from the production, writing and acting. Hats off to everyone and Sam Raimi for steering it in the right direction. Spider-man spawned two sequels and a reboot; with another reboot currently in theaters. Well, Andrew Garfield was great, but I will remain a fan of this original trilogy. 10*
Incredible
DK Able9 July 2017
For the first time ever Spider-Man is truly brought to life, providing movie-goers with first-person view of what it's like to web-sling through New York. The film played an instrumental role in building the Super Hero genre into a credible sect of the cinematic world. With a wide range of intense, fun, and truly emotional conflicts, this film is a masterpiece, made even better by the completely flawless cast.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"With great power comes great responsibility"
jimbo-53-1865119 July 2017
A nerdy high-school student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) gets bitten by a genetically modified spider and wakes up the next morning with a completely new lease of life; he has perfect vision, is stronger and faster than he was before and can also swing through New York City due to his ability of firing webs from his wrist. However, Spider-man isn't the only person in New York with superpowers and he finds himself fighting against the Green Goblin (the alter ego of brilliant scientist Norman Osborn - Willem Dafoe) who will stop at nothing to destroy both Spiderman and everyone around him that he cares about.

Perhaps it is the sweet nature of this origin story that makes it such a winner; we have Peter Parker who is perhaps one of the most unassuming comic book anti-heroes to grace the screen. As Parker, he has a nerdy-goofy charm about him that endears us towards him and as Spider-man he is cool and a great action hero. In the same vein as The Fantastic Four, Peter Parker struggles getting to grips with his super powers and it takes a bit of time for him to adjust to what he has become. This transition is fun to watch and the scene where he kicks that bully's ass was brilliant.

The real story here kicks in when Spider-man isn't paid properly for defeating a fearsome wrestler; he is only paid $100 dollars rather than $3,000 dollars. I won't say anymore than that, but this incident sets off a chain reaction which makes Spider-man the beloved anti-hero. The only minor negative with this story set-up is that you do feel that he becomes who he is out of a sense of guilt more than a sense of duty, but this is minor and is something that I was prepared to overlook in this film.

I normally hate love stories in film, but the blossoming love between Parker and Mary Jane Watson was quite endearing; Watson is a little misguided and can't really see what is right under her nose, but she is never unlikeable and the blossoming relationship between Watson and Parker did feel quite natural.

There are some minor flaws with this film such as there being no investigation into the death of Osborn's colleague after he performs the experiment on himself; they say he was murdered and that someone stole Osborn's prototype, but then that thread is conveniently dropped - we learn the truth later, but it still makes no sense that no-one would follow-up this crime with an investigation. It's also terribly convenient that Spider-man happens to be around to save the day with every crime committed in New York (which is incredible), but again I can suspend disbelief for these things due to how involved I was in the main story.

The acting is also of the highest calibre; Maguire is very good as both the nerdy-geek and as everyone favourite anti-hero. Dunst is good as the female heroine; she has a nice naïve charm about her, but is also good at playing the damsel-in-distress. The likes of Dafoe and Simmons both have fun chewing the scenery, but the latter comes off as the best putting in a brief, but memorable performance. Franco is perhaps the only weak link in the film, but that's mainly because he is given so little to do.

Spider-man is one of the best superhero films out there and contains a great origin story, a believable romance, an impressive villain and good anti-hero. Despite its two hour running time, it moves at a lightning fast-pace, is never dull and boasts some pretty good special effects.

Brilliant stuff
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A now classic superhero film that set a standard for the genre
swilliky7 July 2017
Spider-man is my favorite superhero and the films really brought him to life in various forms. I am a fan of almost every cinematic representation but the initial film truly brought the hero to life for me. I remember seeing this film on opening day back in 2002 after anticipating it for months. The film begins with a voice-over narration by Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) as he's just a dorky high school kid though a brilliant mind who reads research on nanotechnology. He's late to catch the bus for a field trip to a spider research facility and is tripped when caught staring at his crush Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst). Also attending the trip is the wealthy high school kid Harry Osborn (James Franco) who is a disappointment to his father Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe). While taking a picture of Mary Jane, Peter is bitten by a genetically modified super spider. Norman Osborn works at Oscorp to develop a glider, an exoskeleton suit, and a super soldier performance-enhancing serum but risks losing funding without successful human trials.

At Peter's home, Uncle Ben (Cliff Robertson) and Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) worry about their financial stability and Peter who comes home sick. Norman moves ahead with the human trial testing it on himself but it drives him crazy and he kills a researcher. Peter wakes up to find he has strange power like better eyesight, a ripped body, faster reflexes, and a strange webbing coming out of his wrists. When the bully Flash Thompson (Joe Manganiello) tries to fight him, Peter easily outmaneuvers him and punches him across the hall. He begins to experiment with his newfound abilities, crawling, jumping and swinging around buildings. The oddest thing about this film is the natural web shooting out of his arms, which at first, I thought wasn't so strange but didn't realize this was not the original way it was written in the comics.

Check out more of this review and others at swilliky.com
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
Thomas Drufke7 July 2017
As dated as some of the dialogue, acting, effects shots, and plot points are, there will always be a special place in my heart for the original Spider-Man film (I'm not going to count those 70's features). This is largely due to the fact that it was the first superhero film I ever saw in a theater. I specifically remember where I saw it, who I was with, where I sat, and how terrified I was at the 3D images of the Green Goblin's face. For those reasons, I'm always keen on re- watching this one.

Before the golden age of superhero film, Spider-Man came out at a time when being inspired by Donner's 1978 Superman and Burton's 1989 Batman was the norm. You can clearly see how influenced Sam Raimi was to those films, specifically with his choice of bringing in Danny Elfman to do the music. This all gives the film a very nostalgic vibe to me. However, some dated qualities manage to shine through some of the better moments.

Those being the fact that Kirsten Dunst's 'Mary Jane' is essentially a useless plot device for the entire film. This doesn't necessarily change throughout the trilogy, but it's overtly clear with the first Spider-Man. My 8-year-old mind can push aside the damsel in distress moments, but 15 years later it becomes increasingly more difficult. The same goes for the dull dialogue between MJ and Peter, and the unquestionably awkward line delivery at times. I'm all for Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, but their relationship isn't always sold well enough in the various scenes they have together.

With that said, someone who undoubtedly does sell their scenes is Willem Dafoe. He was terrifying as Norman Osborn a child, and he still sends a few chills down my spine when I see him talking to himself through a mirror in the Osborn mansion. But he isn't just a one-note villain either. Significant time is spent developing him as a forceful antagonist, but also a troubled man with misplaced intentions. In today's age of setting up future films way too far in advance, there usually isn't enough time given to developing villains (i.e. every MCU film), but luckily that's not the case with Green Goblin.

Overall, Spider-Man is clearly a dated film in many areas upon re- watch, but it's hard not to overlook them based on pure nostalgic alone. In a way, some of the dated qualities actually end up making it even more charming.

+Nostalgia

+Score

+Dafoe

-Dated, and definitely cheesy

8.0/10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inspired and exciting example of the modern super-hero film
Wuchak7 July 2017
Released in 2002 and directed by Sam Raimi, "Spider-Man" stars Tobey Maguire as geeky teen Peter Parker, who is bit by a radioactive spider and acquires spider-like powers. Kirsten Dunst plays his wannabe girlfriend, Mary Jane, while James Franco plays his best friend and rival, Harry Osborn. Willem Dafoe is on hand as the schizophrenic Norman Osborn, who's also the Green Goblin. Cliff Robertson & Rosemary Harris play Peter's Uncle & Aunt while J.K. Simmons appears as newspaper editor J. Jonah Jameson.

Although it was 2000's "X-Men" that ushered in the modern superhero film, it was "Spider-Man" that drove it home. The movie remains an exhilarating example of the genre and is markedly superior to the merely competent reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man," which came out just 10 years later. Compare the costumes, for instance, particularly the masks; there's no contest.

There are some flaws: The second half isn't as compelling as the first and the apartment fire sequence is eye-rolling in that there's zero smoke in the abode. Then there are changes from the comics, some which work great (e.g. scrapping Spidey's web-shooters in favor of intrinsic web-powers) and some which are just acceptable (e.g. MJ's noticeably different disposition). But such quibbles are made up for by the movie's overall mojo. Simmons nails it as the quirky & kinetic Jameson.

"Spider-Man" remains the second best Spider-Man film, second only to "Spider-Man 3" (2007), not including "Spider-Man: Homecoming" (2017), which I haven't seen yet.

The film runs 121 minutes and was shot in New York City & Los Angeles, as well as a few other areas in New York and Southern Cal, e.g. the cemetery scene in Valhalla, NY. The screenplay was written by David Koepp.

GRADE: A-
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spider-Man is loads of fun!
wiholke20205 July 2017
Spider-Man has gone through a lot over the years and especially in the 2000's. This film is directed by Sam Raimi and was the first movie in a very popular comic book movie trilogy that exploded in the box office. This was easily one of MARVEL's best films at the time and let me tell you. In 2017, a lot of scenes really hold up well. If you have not yet seen this movie, first of all, go watch it, and second, I am going to be talking about this movie in detail so you have been warned.

The movie begins and automatically I love the score. Danny Elfman did a superb job composing my favorite Spider-Man theme so far. The opening credits, while being long, really prepare you for this awesome comic book ride you are about to go on and yes a lot of scenes are very cheesy. Even the opening credits are cheesy. The dialogue begins with Peter Parker, played by Tobey McGuire, narrating. Right off the bat you feel very sorry for Peter as he is without a doubt bullied in many ways in this movie. The only people who seem to care are MJ, played by Kirsten Dust, and Harry Osborne, played by James Franco.

In this film, Peter has a large crush on MJ, which was handled very well. The dialogue they share together in this movie work 100%. It was very relatable. When I first saw this movie I had a massive crush on a girl and I really understood Peter's feelings and emotions which makes Peter Parker in this movie more likable.

The scene where he gets bitten by the spider actually holds up very well. It's very dramatic and the cinematography is very good. He comes home from his field trip after he was bitten and we meet Aunt May and Uncle Ben. In my opinion, this is perfect casting and these two are brilliant. So far they are my favorite Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Peter is feeling very sick and he looks very pale. The spider bite on his hand has swollen up and looks very disgusting but it makes his transformation that much cooler.

We also get introduced to Norman Osborne, played by William Dafoe. He was a good actor throughout the movie, but his voice acting sometimes suffered, not to mention his Green Goblin suit is Power Ranger-like. The costumes in the movie elsewhere are completely fine but this suit just seemed to lack.

When Peter becomes Spider-Man, this movie really starts to get fun. It's very funny, cheesy of course, but very good set pieces when he climbs his first wall. And yes, he has organic web shooters which I am totally fine with. He got the powers of a spider, why can't he shoot webs? It makes sense to me. And the sound mixing for the webs are iconic and very good.

The wrestling scene is very good and very funny, which leads to Uncle Ben's death, which was very emotional and one of the best scenes in this movie, and right away you feel for Peter and you are rooting for Peter. I love the car chase right after, and the fight in the abandoned building is brilliant film making with the lack of music and lighting.

From here on out Spider-Man is awesome, but also cheesy like the comic books. In fact, some of the dialogue with Spider-Man and Green Goblin are lines straight from the books. And I got to say my least favorite scene in this movie is the first action scene with Spidey and the Green Goblin. It is very cheesy, kind of cliché, and the CGI doesn't hold up well in that scene.

However, Green Goblin gets really cool when he learns Peter is Spider-Man. He breaks into Aunt May's home and May is taken to the hospital which is a very well directed scene and one of the better scenes with the Green Goblin. And of course, the abandoned hospital scene is beautifully directed in terms of almost everything! The lack of music, lighting, costumes and stunts it's all very good! Spider- Man's suit gets so worn and ripped it's very good visual art.

This movie ends on a very good note and yes a lot of scenes hold up well. Yes it's cheesy. Yes, CGI is a bit dated and the Green Goblin looks like a Power Ranger we get it. But this movie is loads of fun and a must see.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"We are who we choose to be. Now choose!"
ryanskywalker-874023 July 2017
One of the first movies to pave the groundwork for modern superhero flicks, Spider-Man is an incredibly fun & endlessly entertaining action-adventure that brings its web-slinging hero to life on the silver screen in a truly fascinating manner after spending nearly a quarter of a century in development hell and, with its record- breaking box office performance, acts as a precursor to an era when superheroes would dominate the summer box-office.

Based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, the story of Spider-Man follows Peter Parker; a high-school kid who after being bitten by a radioactive spider at a genetic laboratory begins to develop spider-like abilities and puts his new powers to good use by turning to crimefighting. Meanwhile, Norman Osborn experiments a power-enhancing drug on himself as a desperate attempt to preserve a military contract critical for his company's survival.

Directed by Sam Raimi, Spider-Man has all the ingredients of a summer blockbuster plus it benefits a lot from Raimi's dynamic filmmaking style that doesn't dwell on a single moment for far too long, keeps the story fresh, light-hearted & action-packed for the most part, plus never loses its initially-gained momentum. David Koepp's screenplay is no slouch either for it packs in a compelling plot & few interesting characters and the whole story is cheesy but well humoured.

The technical aspects are all brilliantly executed. Camera-work is excellent for the most part for the chosen angles, swift movements, slow-mo shots & warm colour palette are correctly employed. Editing provides a frenetic pace to its narrative, each moment has a role to play, and its 121 minutes of runtime simply flies by. Visual effects team makes use of both CGI & practical stuntwork and it's amazing just how well it has aged when compared to other effects-laden movies released back then.

Coming to the performances, Spider-Man packs in a very interesting cast in Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Willem Dafoe, J.K. Simmons & others, and many of them are pretty convincing in their given roles. Maguire does a terrific job under Raimi's supervision, Dafoe plays Norman Osborn with finesse but that Green Goblin suit is extremely off-putting, Simmons is a near-perfect rendition of J. Jonah Jameson from the comics while both Dunst & Franco do a fine job as Mary Jane Watson & Harry Osborn, respectively.

Also worthy of admiration is Danny Elfman's outstanding score that captures just the right tone & feel of your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man's universe and brims with tracks that seamlessly integrate into the story. On an overall scale, Spider-Man may not seem as impressive today as it did back when it made its debut on the silver screen but it still remains one of the best offerings of its category and delivers a roller- coasted ride that's enjoyable, entertaining & highly satisfying. Spider-Man is a summer popcorn extravaganza right on the money.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best "Spiderman" film by far.
This was the film that proved an adaptation of a "Marvel Comic" superhero could be made. This first "Spiderman" film was the first of its kind and set the course for all future superhero movies. There is a story that actually holds the film together and backed by some good dialogue, good directing and pretty good acting. Where better than to begin with the origins of Spiderman? As has been depicted many times, high school student Peter Parker is bitten by a spider that just happens to be radioactive during a guided tour of a New York science museum. Initially overcome by his newly acquired superpowers, Parker attempts to cash in by appearing as a wrestler and on prime time television. After all this is met with failure, disaster strikes as Parkers Uncle Ben is murdered in cold blood by a thief. Cliff Robertson was brilliantly cast as the uncle. The story doesn't just revolve around Spiderman/Peter Parker though. Elsewhere in the film, business tycoon and inventor Norman Osborn (well played by Willam Defoe), suffers from an accident in his own laboratory after an experiment goes wrong. Thus the Green Goblin is unleashed. I was a bit disappointed with the costume for the Green Goblin, it held none of the appeal or chilling factor that the comic books had. Peter Parker struggles with his growing feelings for the girl that he has liked since childhood - Mary Jane Watson. The task of expressing his feelings has been rendered even more difficult on account of his crime- fighting alter ego. Toby Maguire is pretty good in the main role but I wouldn't exactly call him a heavyweight actor. He can't project the rugged look that action men need. Even so, he fits the bill. The scenes that show Spiderman web-slinging his way around New York look great and the CGI serves its purpose without compromising the story. A great film and its box office success is well deserved.
Shy but great!
Jordan Jackson22 June 2017
Considered as one of the most successful superhero movies ever made, "Spider-Man" is a superhero film adaptation of one of Stan Lee's most popular Marvel comics, and becoming one of the first movies to score the highest opening weekend in the box office. There's no wonder, because this is an exciting and enjoyable motion picture. One of my childhood favorites, to be exact! This movie tells the origin story of Peter Parker, or Spider-Man, portrayed by Tobey Maguire, whom after being bit by a radioactive spider, he has gained extraordinary powers to climb walls, shoot web, and beat bad guys. But all that must be put to the test when Parker has to defeat one of the first villains of the Spider-Man universe, the Green Goblin, portrayed by Willem Dafoe. Although Maguire is somewhat bland in a few of his movies, I respected that he fit the role of Peter Parker perfectly, playing a shy kid, with no powers to either beat the bad guy or win the girl. Although given some of the corniest lines of dialouge in this movie, Kirsten Dunst makes an adorable portrayal as Mary Jane Watson, while giving a great chemistry with her co-star. But, Willem Dafoe seems a little miscast playing the deadly Green Goblin, feeling more like he's suitable for drama, instead of action. Rosemary Harris, James Franco, Cliff Robertson, and J.K. Simmons, round up the supporting cast, bringing some memorable performances on-screen, especially Simmons, who steals every scene he's in as J. Jonah Jameson, the angry editor chief of the Daily Bugle. There are few corny and goofy moments from here and there, but that doesn't stop the exciting momentum that this movie brings. Filled with impressive visual effects and a wonderful music score by Danny Elfman, director Sam Raimi perfectly stays true to the original Spider-Man concept, and delivers plenty of exciting action sequences that are both fun to watch, and stay true to the plot. Behind "The Dark Knight" and "The Avengers", "Spider-Man" is probably my third favorite superhero movie. I can watch this movie over and over again, and it's still a fun time. I was easily impressed with this movie, and it never disappoints to entertain. Everyone will find something to enjoy for sure. "Spider-Man", in my review, "a refreshing story, and exciting action".
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I love this movie as a kid.
Ilikehorrormovies16 June 2017
This film is the best film like the Sam Raimi Spider-Man is better the The Amazing Spider-Man Films like I don't care if this film is not base on comics I still like the film. I think Tobey Maguire was good at this film and James Franko. I always wonder if there's a Spider-Man 2.1 and a 3.1 then where's Spider-Man 1.1? I guess they don't need it anyways. But still a good film
A strong Marvel entry
stormhawk201812 June 2017
One of Marvel's flagship characters finally makes it to the big screen and with Sam Raimi at the helm, you have a sure-fire winner. The first half of the film is as expected, fantastic. It has just the right balance of humour and action and although Tobey Maguire's acting talents are rather limited, he manages to pull off the dorky charm of Peter Parker with some success. There's a lot of humour in the discovery of his powers and how to use them and the supporting characters are all believable. It also shows the motivations and character development of Spiderman really well and rarely descends into schmaltz. Unfortunately once the tights go on, things are not quite as strong. The Green Goblin was never a particularly interesting character and although the schizophrenia plot line is clever, Defoe holds the attention far more as the disappointed father than a dayglo action figure on a hover board. Raimi handles the action nicely though and it's worth it alone for J. K. Simmons whose hilarious J. Jonah Jameson steals every scene he is in.
A worthy adaptation
Mr-Fusion17 May 2017
Part of appreciating Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man" is understanding its role in the Hollywood superhero boom of the last fifteen years. But on its own terms, what it really does right is the balance between morality and superpowers; the give-and-take of Peter Parker's crushing burden and those thrilling scenes of swinging through the city. That's what really stands out to me today (that, and J.K. Simmon's pitch-perfect casting as J. Jonah Jameson, who owns every one of his scenes). Not all of it works - the story is a bit drawn out and the dialogue scenes between Maguire and Dunst are marshmallowy soft - but it's a perfectly decent treatment of Spidey.

And these days, I still watch it with the firmly-imprinted memory of its success in 2002. The genre landscape was entirely different back then, and a Spider-Man movie wasn't a sure thing. Raimi was a genuine surprise as director, but he produced a film that retained the vibrancy of its source material and populated it with grounded characters. And the timing really helped; it ended up being an anthem for a post-9/11 New York.

In other words, it was a breath of fresh air.

1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this