IMDb > The Rage: Carrie 2 (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Rage: Carrie 2

The Rage: Carrie 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Its greatest asset is also its greatest drawback.

Author: Ben Kosse (bkosse@thecreek.com) from Sandpoint, ID
15 June 1999

Yes, you read that right.

Emily Bergl is this films greatest asset. She can actually act and looks sincere. The only problem is that she's far too good looking for the role. That may sound shallow, but throughout the movie, we're supposed to get the impression that she's "ugly" and because of that, she's an outcast. Contrast this to Sissy Spacek in the original who looked plain enough to carry out the role of "ugly duckling". It was only her talent that let Bergl carry (pun not intended) out the role convincingly.

The antoganists are unusually shallow, especially when presented against the more modern bad guys in horror films, at least where you can see the bad guy. Though at least one of the bad girls is convincing as Rachel's new friend.

Jason Landon does an amiable job as Rachel's boyfriend and lends a lot of credibility to the final scene which, I must say, is a refreshing change from the hand coming out of the ground scenes popularized by the original Carrie.

All in all, a refreshingly entertaining and, dare I say, well done show.

This movie is very, very, very, very, very, very, very underrated!

Author: Robert Redmond (redmondrobert@hotmail.com) from Australia
1 May 2005

I watched this late last night on Channel 7. I first noticed that that was this hot goth-like chick playing the title role and there were people I'd seen before like Jason London, that idiot form Home Improvement Zachary Ty Bryan and Mena Suvari who had a busy year in 1999 with American Pie and American Beauty.

I think critics had a go at this film, but in my opinion this was a very worthy sequel to the original. For starters, it stayed true to the idea of having actors who are in their 20s playing teenagers (that was a joke) because Sizzy Spacek was 26 when she played Carrie in the original and we've got a 24 year old playing Rachel Long in this film here as well as a few 27 year old people playing some of the jocks.

I just loved seeing those jocks and back-stabbers getting what they deserved. They acted so well to get you to hate them. You could feel Rachel's pain and the evil within her and what she was doing... although it was so brutal and Satan-like... it was something you could somewhat cheer for. It's an amazing scene with all the glass shattering. Incredible!

But never mind that - the acting is very good in this film. The storyline is a little bit thin at times but on top of all of that it still is rather original. Some good special effects, some pretty good comedy from that American Pie nerd guy (you know who I am talking about) and it's a lot better than most modern day teen horror schlock! I put this film alongside Freddy vs. Jason as one of the most surprisingly good teen horror films of the last decade. All those Halloween sequels, and Scream if you know what I did last summer crap as well as those films that try to take the mickey out of teen horror films are worthy of more than enough Razzies when compared to this film.

I'm so glad this film wasn't nominated for Razzies.

I can't believe Emily Bergl is 30 now! She deserves more roles in movies because she is a bloody good actress with an original and unique look about her.

The Rage: Carrie 2 deserves so much more respect than it has been given.

All around great horror film!

Author: macgill3-1 from United States
3 February 2006

Katt Shea is a brilliant director. She has a way of making even the goriest, disturbing and often mundane things look beautiful and interesting. Katt's style is hypnotic but at the same time she uses this to her advantage. The scary parts are that much more jarring when they do happen because she rips you out of a trance!! I'm not the type to get scared in films but I must admit I jumped a few times! There's no director that can make a woman falling off a building look more glamorous than Katt Shea! I didn't expect to enjoy this film as much as I did. The script didn't have the greatest/most realistic dialog or serious character development but it was campy fun! However, I found the character of Rachael much more realistic than the original Carrie. I thought it was tremendously well cast. Moreover the set decoration was very clever and added a deeper understanding of the characters. Bonus points for having Danny B. Harvey and Billie Holiday music in it! It's hard for a sequel to really be taken seriously because people get so damn nostalgic for the first- but you should really check this one out! I actually enjoyed it more than the first Carrie. The Rage: Carrie 2 is highly entertaining!!

Blood is thicker than water

Author: Angel-54 from ontario, canada
14 March 1999

Carrie 2 - The Rage, was nothing like I expected. I went into the theatre expecting to see a cheap imitation of the first Carrie...but I was wrong! The Rage was excellent! Although the first Carrie is a classic cult horror movie and can never be topped, The Rage did a good job living up to the standards set by the first. Newcomer Emily Bergl did an excellent job as the enraged Rachel. Amy Irving returns as Sue Snell, and this allows the The Rage to be connected to Carrie. A series of flashbacks and many connections to the first Carrie, help The Rage succeed. Everything is well explained and you leave the theatre very satisfied. There is some gore and scary parts that may not be suitable for younger viewers that have watched the first (and much tamer) Carrie. Overall I believe this film was an excellent sequel to Carrie and although not a Stephen King novel, as the first was, I think the King of horror would have been impressed. A must see for horror fanatics or anyone looking for a good scare!! Boo!!

On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being yawn! and 10 being bed-wetting nightmares......I give THE RAGE - CARRIE 2 an 8!!

Not bad - good, clean entertainment for horror-freaks

Author: Tsathoggua from Germany
13 January 2002

The Rage: Carrie 2 - being more a remake than a sequel of the 70ies classic - is a good film for chilling out after a week of work or something like that. The creators were able to transport the basic ideas of the Stephen King novel (teenage problems)into this sequel. Only this is a reason to call this a good movie - because I think that Stephen King fans had to see much bad adaptions of the master´s work in the past. Another reason is that this movie is much better than all the other teen-horror-movies of the last years like I Know What You Did Last Summer (of course I could never say something bad about the first two Scream movies - seriously!). Carrie 2 handles teenager´s problems and conflict much better than other films and I think that it is a much better film to identificate with for young people. The "new Carrie" is - once again - a true outsider and not one of these upper class all-american teens like the ones in I Know...etc. The movie shows its sympathy for this outsider (a nice detail: in some scenes you can see the Marilyn Manson-poster at the wall of Rachel´s room - the icon of all angry outsiders). Another point: the horror violence is much harder than in the other teen movies, too. Everyone who likes gory horror should like this movie All in all, I could not say anything bad about this movie. Just take a look. 8 out of 10

not quite as bad as I though it was going to be..........

Author: cygnus x-1 from roanoke, va
11 February 2000

I rented this expecting the absolute worst. It's a sequel and a horror film, and usually horror sequels suck.

well, while being far from a great film, this sequel to the original Brian DePalma classic was a notch above what i was expecting. it's basically the same plot but modernized for the '90's.

There's more blood and gore, and the graphic violence is a bit more in your face than the relative restraint shown in the original.

while nowhere near a classic, it's above average and worth a look for a few cheap thrills.

rating:6

"Carrie" forth the good and so-so news

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
4 March 2007

Admittedly, "The Rage: Carrie 2" can't equal the quality established by its predecessor. But it's better than I expected it to be. Portraying an outcast high school student (Emily Bergl) discovering that she has telekinetic powers - don't worry; it gets explained - and using them to get revenge on her tormentors, it mostly repeats everything from the original. But the good aspect comes from how they set up some scenes and shock you (I really liked the shattering ball). Finally, the party at the end just might make your blood freeze.

Overall, this is a movie worth seeing, if only once. Of course, you'll have to see the original first, so as to understand everything that happens in this one. Also starring Amy Irving and Mena Suvari (right before she played Kevin Spacey's sexual fantasy in "American Beauty").

Finally

Author: eyjo from Reykjavík, Iceland
12 July 2001

As far as modern horror flicks go I think "Carrie 2" is probably one of the very best. The film steals a large chunk of the original Carries´ storyline essentially making the original story available to a whole new audience who never saw the original all the while trying to make it agreeable to the older audiences by making Rachel (the main character) Carries half sister. Emily Bergl and Jason London do an excellent job portraying their characters. The music and storyline are quite good considering the age we live in (an age of countless Screams and I know.... crap). All in all i´d have to say that Carrie 2: The Rage is well worth the viewing and might even surprise many people.

A Belated Comment on one of my favorite films of all time...

Author: joker2072001 from United States
13 January 2009

I know this movie's almost a decade old, but I only just became a member here at IMDb, so I wanted to drop a comment on this amazing horror flick.

This movie has quite a bit to offer fans of just about any kind of movie: horror, suspense, drama, a couple of laughs, and some romance all set within the template of the modern age teen movie - and it works out beautifully. Emily Bergl and Jason London star as Rachel Lang and Jesse Ryan, respectively. Making her cameo/return from the first film is Amy Irving in the role of Sue Snell, the sole survivor of the original massacre. Amy Irving, while not seen very often in the film, does a fantastic job of showing that the character is indeed still very tormented by that fateful night (it all just comes flooding back to her when Rachel breaks the snow globe).

One of the best scenes in the movie is when Sue Snell takes Rachel (very distraught over the suicide of her best friend) back to the location of the original massacre, where the remnants of the desecrated high school still stand. It is also this scene that tells us how Rachel got her powers - she's Carrie's half-sister by way of a shared father.

That brings us back to Rachel and Jesse. These two become attracted to one another as the film progresses and eventually go out on a couple of dates. Let me just say something here. The romance between these two was done amazingly well, aided by the on-screen chemistry between Bergl and London. I was so taken by it all that I actually hurt for Jesse when Rachel died.

In the end, they end up getting a little too close for the comfort (and over-inflated ego) of Jesse's ex-girlfriend, who subsequently plots revenge with her friends, as well as the other football players that Jesse rightfully dissed earlier in the film, completely unaware of the grizzly fate that awaits them all. It all goes down at the post game party at the rich football player, Mark's house. Inevitably, they go too far and end up pushing Rachel off the deep end...and into a seething ocean of rage. The party-goers all die in particularly gory fashion - to include a girl being riddled with CDs and a jock being pinned to a door (and Ms. Snell) by a fireplace poker. The jock, Eric (played by Zachary Ty Brian) - also the guy responsible for the death of Rachel's best friend - certainly gets it worse then anyone when he is castrated with a harpoon gun.

In the end, mirroring the first film, Rachel exacts her revenge and kills herself in the process, leaving a very heartbroken Jesse the sole survivor.

This was such a great movie for so many reasons, and I truly recommend it to any fan of the horror genre.

What part of this was scary? or thrilling?

Author: Ysman (thisonegoes211@yahoo.com) from United States
28 April 2000

The only partially amusing portion of this film was the last 15 minutes when the new Carrie started killing her classmates. This sequel had none of the inventiveness or spookiness of the the first film. Nothing was scary about this film except how painfully boring and out of touch the movie was. Like Sam Jackson in Deep Blue Sea, I am sure Mena Suvari was more than glad to exit the film early. In the period of particularly bad teen horror films, Carrie 2 out does them all.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]