IMDb > "Highlander: The Raven" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Highlander: The Raven"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Highlander: The Raven" More at IMDbPro »

Open your mind, and you won't be disappointed

Author: The_Music_Infected from Canada
21 July 2005

I just bought The Raven, and haven't exactly got through it all yet, but I am really enjoying it so far. I know that many Highlander fans are going to start watching it with a closed mind. "No Duncan and too much Amanda", some might say. I find it refreshing to see through the eyes of another immortal more than once, (although I'd prefer Methos). But still, if you start watching The Raven, knowing that it's a different perspective with different scenarios because of different lifestyles, instead of expecting the same immortal business that we got from Duncan, then you'll find it enjoyable. Yea, the show has got some rough edges, and a couple questionable moments, but if you can look past them, then you'll have a good time watching The Raven.

Pretty good show

Author: (johnnycage10@yahoo.com) from Scotland
31 October 2003

Considering I'm disagreeing with just about everyone here, let me start off by saying that I do understand the problems that all the other reviewers here had with this show. I'm one of those (perhaps rare) individuals who disliked every one of the Highlander movies (thought Endgame was an insult to the first show), as they were much too fake and just plain non-entertaining, but then absolutely loved the Highlander TV shows. The first one with Adrian Paul had characters who were walking around as if they were always on an endorphin high, which was a delight to watch as the audience knew a huge secret about these immortals that most of the mortal characters in the episode weren't informed of. So even watching the immortals, good and bad, interacting with mortals who didn't know who they were was a joy. The flashbacks were great, as was the actors' acting ability, the dialogue, fight scenes and distinct villains. The first show was great until the very last season, when it was painfully obvious that the writers were running out of ideas (The Haunting one was especially bad), but overall, definitely one of the best shows I ever had the pleasure of seeing. Then came The Raven, which quickly was obvious that this show wasn't as good as the predecessor. The writing wasn't as good, and some episodes were clearly not well done. That much I'm in agreement with everyone else here. But I would ask other viewers to also try to see the positive aspects that H:TR had. For starters, the chemistry between Amanda and detective Wolf was easily the best that I've ever seen on a film or movie. I'm not sure why exactly, but these two were just perfect together, in both dialogue, thought processes and acting, even better than Amanda and Duncan were. *******SPOILERS********** Then, I think that the writers here were trying to bring the world of immortals to deal with the point of view of a mortal, ie, Wolf, thus where we saw a mortal protagonist taking the heads of two immortals in the only season that this show was alive, the first by shooting at glass that decapitated his foe and the second (a very well-done episode) where Wolf used a sword to decapitate the immortal who was killing people for their organs. That was basically the act of allowing a mortal to interact with immortals as their equal for the first time, instead of always running to a friendly immortal to do his bidding when another immortal was a villain who needed to be dealt with (ala Joe Dawson with Duncan). Here, a mortal took charge. There were other episodes that were truly gems to watch, the best being the one where Amanda had robbed a soldier during WW1 and inadvertently caused the deaths of 120 of his `brothers', as that character stated in such a charming way. The one with father Liam and his doubts about his centuries-long faith in the priesthood was also a very good one, with Amanda baiting him to place himself between her sword and the woman journalist she pretended to wish to kill. The very first episode where Wolf's former partner had placed herself in between Amanda and a bullet, whereas basically leaving Amanda's facial expression almost screaming out `WHAT DID YOU DO?!' because she knew it was a sacrifice done for nothing, also leading her to possibly reconsider her values because someone who was dedicated to stopping her when she was a thief was still placing herself in harm's way to protect her life. And, last but not least, the last episode where we found out that Wolf himself was an immortal now, and the science of immortality was clearly explained, at least to me, when he confronted Amanda about it. Just too bad we never got to see a second season to this cool show, thus allowing detective Wolf to be an immortal himself. But this will always be one of my favorite shows. Not as good as the great first Highlander, Buffy, Angel and Fastlane (rest in peace also), but definitely one that was a joy to see every Saturday afternoon.

Thank you for reading, and remember to keep working out and stay safe:)

Almost worthy of your attention - but not

Author: sarastro7
8 December 2004

I'm a huge Highlander fan, so naturally I had to watch this show - well, some of it, anyway. "The Raven" has two major shortcomings. It would be worthwhile if it just had one, but two of them sadly ruins its whole appeal.

Firstly, it has dull stories. Not as dull as they could be, but just not very inspired or exciting. The thing is, Elizabeth Gracen could have saved it just by her looks. She is very, very good-looking; I find her enormously appealing. A sexy lead actress can make a mediocre show well worth watching.

But that's the second shortcoming: they ruined her looks. Gracen looks fabulous with dark hair, and the more of it the better. So naturally they not only cut her hair as short as humanly possible; they also bleached it a blinding white.

Sorry, but that just makes her uninteresting to look at. And as she goes, so goes the show.

If you want good Elizabeth Gracen action, go back a see the final season of the Highlander TV series. Now *there's* some eye candy for a red-blooded Highlander aficionado.

Still, if I stumbled across the DVD set very cheaply, I wouldn't rule out purchasing it, if no one was looking... :-)

Rating: 5 out of 10.

Highlander's Amanda branches to her new show

Author: Krystle Bruggeman (meow711@webtv.net) from Pennsylvania, USA
10 October 1998

Amanda(Elizabeth Gracen) goes from being a re-occuring guest, to a new show all about her. She is 1,000 years old, an immortal, tring to help an ex-cop, Nick (Paul Johanson) protect the innocent. She is trying to get rid of her thieving ways, but sometimes, old habits die hard. Along the way she runs into a few bad immortals and ends their immortality. It has Action, Sci-fi Fantasy like stuff, Comedy, and every now and then a touch of Romance. But Nick and Amanda aren't really a couple, just yet. I think because he's by the book kinda person and she does her own thing. But you know what they said about opposites. They attract.

A bad idea

Author: Lucy-84
11 October 2000

What were they thinking by doing a show about Amanda? I have nothing at all against Elizabeth Gracen, but Amanda was just absolutely not the right character to base a show on. I'm used to seeing a very strong and admirable main character in a Highlander story. Amanda was selfish, materialistic and also very weak. She had to go running to MacLeod every time she got into trouble. At least that's the way I saw her. But of course I guess that's mainly because the producers or writers or whoever didn't use the full potential of the character or the actress. It's like they just put Elizabeth Gracen into HL:TS for comic relief and sex appeal and didn't even consider the fact that she might actually have talent.

Lots of wasted potential

Author: Pope-12
3 October 1999

Being a huge fan of the original series, it's pretty much required that I watch this one as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to it's predecessor's quality. Elizabeth Gracen reprises her role of Amanda, the 1200 y/o immortal. Gracen is one of those actresses you either absolutely love, or absolutely hate. I happen to be one of the former, so it's a shame to see her going to waste like this.

The storylines are thin at best. Basically they consist of, "Bad thing happens. Bad immortal from Amanda's past behind it. Amanda runs around for an hour, then kills said immortal." Not exactly groundbreaking stuff. To make up for the stories, you'd expect them to at least play up the action and have some fun with it (a la V.I.P.). However, they go in just the opposite direction and take it too seriously.

Paul Johansson plays Nick Wolfe, who is just as benign as his character's name. He's one of those cookie cutter sydie-action actors: about 6' tall, overly athletic, abnormally above average looks, abnormally below average acting ability. When Amanda is on the screen you want the scenes to last forever. When Nick is the lead, you cringe and hope for a quick death.

The show could use a major rewrite, possibly putting the focus more on Amanda's past. A character who has seen the last 1200 years gives you lots of potential settings. As for a quick & dirty rating using imdb's 10 star system, I'd give this a 5 for now.

It's just a little different.

Author: R.Nash from MA, USA
1 March 1999

Amanda (Elizabeth Gracen) has her own show. Cool. Great. The more recent episodes are MUCH better than the first few because the producers/writers have stopped trying to make her co-star..the star! There is a certain chemistry between the actors, which is great. We (as fans) just need to remind the writers that,"HEY! We know the "rules" of immortals" and the constant interference by Nick(Paul Johannsen)Wolfe are ANNOYING to us. But keep up the show.Thanks. Oh, Ms. Gracen looks better as a brunette (the blonde hair makes her look older).

Very sad

Author: Morson from United States
17 August 2003

..OK, who's idea was it to take the WEAKEST character from the main series - maybe not in background history (and I don't care about her low morals) but, simply put, strength?

We're talking a series where people have to kill each other to survive with a bloody sword, and she got her ass kicked by just about every Immortal on the original show. Even Methos incapacitated her while trying to convince her not to fight him! That's like one step from beating her blind folded.

Annoying character that can't fight her way out of a wet paper bag, and gave up her only steady thing of thieving.. brilliant!

Yuck Yuck Yuck

Author: Kalah from Wisconsin/USA
29 March 1999

This show is totally lacking. Amanda was never a character that could hold her own when she appeared in the original Highlander series. She almost always hid behind the man to do her fighting. She was never a strong character. And they pushed what ever "Sex appeal" she had so far that it was to the point you thought..."Why? She's not that great. GOD!!" And it carries on to this series. When she goes through the quickening, instead of an intense almost painful looking thing we've come to expect from the old series and movies, she makes it look like a modern dance. Again "Nick" Does a lot of the fighting...the acting is terrible, the plots are thinner than a toothpick, and the camera work is a shame. And why is it still called Highlander? She's not from the Highlands of Scotland!! This show gets a 1 out of 10 (Only for effort.)

Yes and No

Author: edmund_13 from Chicago
2 January 2003

Highlander the Raven was a bad show but I wouldn't blame the character of Amanda for it. First the name was bad because A) there was no Highlander in it) and b) since when was she known as The Raven? then yes Amanda was a character of questionable morals who wasn't as powerful a fighter as most of the imortals but she's survived. The question is "Why?" and the answer is not that she ran to Duncan for help. finding out how she survived all these years on her own would have made a good show. The problem was the lame hook her up with a mortal cop story line. That was what made the show bad. Notice the same thing is killing Birds of Prey right now ironically a female driven show with a woman who reminds us of Catwoman in the lead role. Anyone ever notice that Buffy is a hit show and she doesn't need to run to a big strong man to defeat her enemies.